Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of printing entire ships.

Works a lot better if you use the Twin Welders with their much bigger weld radius and speed.

Also you should add Active Radar to the mod list, it's pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not yet, sadly. Might see a change in that in upcoming weeks due to the newly-added autopilot commands though if you're lucky.

I saw a mod for food/drink, but its only production at the moment, no survival elements added.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I still see zero point in pressurizing ship interiors when you can just carry oxygen tanks with you, especially given explosive decompression loses you a ton of precious oxygen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mystery Prize posted:

Pressurizing an entire large ship/station? Yeah, probably not a great idea.

Oxygen tank or generator on a small ship, hooked up via conveyor to the cockpit? The Best Idea.

Yeah the oxygen tanks/generators for small ships are perfect. They should add conveyor hookups for large ship open cockpits, the equivalent of having an o2 hose you connect when you sit down.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I discovered was that there are also Twin Grinders too. I've been remodeling some stuff in my battleship, and one of the new additions is a dedicated Deconstructor. No more crap flying around the Hangar Deck. It's also now has a proper hangar door leading to it from the Lower Hangar Deck that I haven't screenshotted yet, along with maglocks in the floor to keep something in place until it's fully dismantled.

I assumed you knew about twin grinders, no longer will you nudge a ship you're salvaging and send it drifting off.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I also recommend this drill mod because the stock drills seem to have been nerfed a bit, and also this decreases the number of drills you need and therefore decreases drill lag.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt they will be, just because people are gonna mine the poo poo out of them just to try and build underground bases.

Splode wanted to know about my ship designs, and I'm trying to make something a size smaller (ie; not quite so laggy) than the Avalon so I took some pictures as I went.

The basic important parts are laid out and connected (hangar, thrusters, gravity cannon). I'll generally fudge the rest of the interior as I go.

A quick bit of measuring plugged into a pixel circle generator gives the frame.

Then you just take the width of each segment and generate a circle of that for the outer layer. I'm not happy with the way the front turned out, so I'll probably raise it and flatten it a little like the Avalon's. Once I've got it right I'll go round under the hull and slap a second inner-layer of armor around it.

Yeah, Kermit's gonna lose his goddamn mind at this :allears:.

It's weird that when I try using 2:1 and 3:1 slope blocks it looks awful compared to what you're doing there with just 1:1 slope blocks.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yeah I doubt planets and moons will actually move. Also to deorbit a chunk of moon would take stupid amounts of thrust/energy. I'm interested to know how the gravity will affect ships, will you be able to orbit?

Also what happens when gravity tries to accelerate you beyond ship speed limits?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Drake_263 posted:

I presume that's why the sun will be orbiting around the planets and not the other way around - giving the impression of a day/night cycle by moving the light source around rather than having to calculate the orbits of the planets themselves.

I'd say that's more simulation of planet rotation for a day/night cycle, orbital path doesn't determine that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Poison Mushroom posted:

No jet packs as an option means the SS13 mod just got a whole lot easier, too.

Added hilarity when someone turns off the station gravity and everyone is stuck floating unable to move.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Those all sound like trivial edge cases one would test for. Is there a :keenswh: ?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It's a bugfix week.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean like this?

I'm also steadily upgrading the Avalon. The twenty broadside OKI 230mm quad-guns are gone.

Instead there's eighty of Mexpex's Heavy Defense Turrets (and yes, the upper-angled guns have enough clearance to safely join in broadside firing). They're grouped in five vertical "Rings" from fore-to-aft, divided by the armored jackets between them, so different Rings can deal with multiple targets. Rings 2-to-4 might be burning a carrier while 1 and 5 deal with fighter craft, for example, or intercepting incoming cannon fire. The're also much hardier little buggers, so a round going off accidentally near them doesn't immediately destroy'em. I also regrouped the Mk.3 Cannons into their own Rings 1-3 respectively as well, just for similitude.

The CIC has an upgrade to make it actually functional too, thanks to the Configurable Automatic LCD Script.

No DRADIS yet, sadly :sigh:. I did give the Radar mod a go, but it doesn't save tracked objects on an LCD. Instead it just flashes them for a brief second.

edit:

Also a bugfix for the bugfix week;

The Radar mod could really do leaving the contacts up until the next radar sweep.

There's a modification to the blueg_radar somewhere that's script friendly and would allow you to list contacts on an lcd.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Section Z posted:

I do not think so on the scenarios front. Eventually that could be kinda nice because it would also give those of us who are loving terrible at these games something to trick ourselves into thinking we've accomplished much of anything. I admit when I'm super loving terrible at trying to slap patch a gravity funnel onto the yellow survival ship, all the deeper stuff like control console scripts intimidate me when I'm terrible at building even 2D log cabins in Terraria.

No loving way I'll have "Oxygen Required" toggled on the next time I take a stab at survival mode in this.

EDIT: Note to self, see if the workshop has vanilla scenarios that catch my clueless newbie fancy.

There's a few that aren't bad, assuming you don't try to break them (it's stupidly easy to break most scenarios)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rhjamiz posted:

There needs to be a scenario/Game Start where there aren't any asteroids with resources, only a field of scrap and derelict ships where you need to scavenge to survive.

There's at least 3 of those in the workshop that I've played.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That'd require the game to not poo poo itself around a large number of blocks :sigh:.

Is something that was a slight problem, but not as bad as you'd think with the level of detail scaling (assuming some distance between them)

Edit: What's the limitations on block sizes? Can I make a block that's like 20x20x20?

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 19, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Wynand posted:

Also, I found a thread saying that the rotating sun does NOT affect where asteroid come from, but I swear I've only ever seen them coming from exactly where the sun is at all times :/

Alllsooo, are there any mods that that help with navigation at all? Specifically I would really appreciate having any sort of directional vector display, a range finder, and anything that can help with intercepting cargo ships.

Yeah they come from the sun. They also still specifically target vessels. Add a block to an asteroid and it'll start getting hit by meteors.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rhjamiz posted:

Also confirming they come from the sun even with rotation. I set it to a 1-minute day and meteors were coming from everywhere around me as the sun spun about.

1 minute day would make solar panels easy, on a rotor at 1rpm.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yeah the source engine doesn't have to deal with deforming voxels

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Tutorials, unbreakable voxel mode, and easier to automate airlocks

quote:

Features
- tutorial scenarios
- indestructible voxels option
- air vent can trigger other blocks

Fixes
- fixed HUD never updating its status
- fixed issue with voxel hand breaking the toolbar
- fixed interaction after death
- fixed issue when making screenshots using multiplier in DX9
- fixed button panel not showing description
- fixed warp drive can end in generated asteroid
- fixed reorder clusters removes entity if it instantaneously moves more than a cluster size
- fixed made scenario settings hint visible in scenario edit mode

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They really need to just lock those update threads, and ban anyone complaining about the update not containing feature xyz.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

LegoMan posted:

Played Empyrion a little bit. Maybe I'm missing things but it would be nice if there were a construction queue. Like if I want to build a Base starter, I shouldn't have to build each individual part. I should be able to click it, and it starts building the prereq items and I can walk away and when I come back it's done. Otherwise it has a LOT of potential.

Take on Mars has the same problem at them moment

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

quote:

- Construction components now take 4 seconds to be assembled

Isn't this an increase? They're already super hosed up, they should be instant like all other comparable poo poo.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

zennik posted:

Updated... again...

See? Didn't you miss this?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of turrets, the Avalon's now gained a full set of internal turrets. Just one or two in each compartment (except CIC, which has four), but I figure if someone manages to get inside the ship in-force they're probably already hurting badly in the attempt or really committed.

I'm going to see if I can use the Configurable LCD Script to try and rig up one of the CIC displays to list the ammo contents of them all.

How does this deal with a lance ship?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Welding/grinding seems to be causing random explosions on large ship grids for me, it might be caused by (and is definitely causing) decompression events.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you load a save where you were in a small ship cockpit, and exit the cockpit inside a gravity field, your jetpack always defaults to off and you fall. This didn't use to happen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Drake_263 posted:

Sometimes the RNG just likes putting certain ores in difficult-to-reach spots. Also, the ore scanner on your drill has a very, very short range - chances are there's a deposit on an asteroid you've explored but it was just hidden underneath stone or other ores. Build a surveyor ship with an ore detector - preferably a large one, that'll spot deposits from within 150M.

(Assuming Keen hasn't broken them again, sometimes it fails to show deposits that are -right there-...)

Yeah most of the time you need to toggle the ore detector off, wait until the hud icons disappear, then toggle it back on for the hud icons to actually update.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

McGiggins posted:

Does anyone else want to see how many goons can fit into a post-planet update server?

Depends on how many drone swarms people are making.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What I want to see is drones able to dock/lock with landing gear for jumping

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Why when I load a save does it always say downloading mods and sit there for ages? Nothing has changed mod wise afaik.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GotLag posted:

Steam Community servers probably shittier than usual. SE refreshes the mod list every time you load a game, view the list of mods, or view the list of saved games.

Yeah but it checks the mods, then decides to download something, despite nothing having changed.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's a new massive violation of newton's laws, if there's loose blocks inside a large ship it'll move around and spin as the debris hits the inside of the ship. Noticeable when you pound a ship that has a high propensity to have loose blocks inside.
Even worse is that inertial dampeners don't stop it, only thing that does is to jump.
It seems also that severing a small piece like a catwalk inside a ship causes it to vibrate and destroy things (like reactors)

At least they fixed the whole drill ships vibrating all over the loving place.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figure if I get a decent general ship done (which it pretty much is), I'm set for if/when the game starts adding some actual playable content to stumble onto. I'm also surprised they've managed to improve performance enough that playing with that drat battleship's actually not quite so chuggy anymore.

That said, I really want them to crush the bug where projection-built creations don't have their Groups (only the first iteration will have them, subsequent ones off that projector don't). Replacing a shuttle because it got smeared by Raider turrets isn't nearly as annoying as rebinding the Groups for poo poo like the master on/off and the main drive engines (so a slight acceleration/reverse doesn't slam the bloody thing into the walls).

There's a few workshop mods which add hostile cargo ships that come and attack you.

Sometimes I've had one spawn while I was repairing/salvaging from the last attack and have had to basically make an emergency jump due to too much battle damage.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What's all that debris above the ship in the last pic?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I remember to update the Medieval Engineers patch notes*, just a reminder that we still need someone to do a proper OP for it.

*A week late, again.

Given it has for long periods of time just flat out not been able to run on many people's pcs, I don't think anyone really cares about it.

There's your OP for it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What happens when you have a ship with dimensions that exceed the view distance?

For example, a 30km long ship in a world with a 10km view distance limit.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Before or after the game shits the bed and crashes? :v:

If I had to guess, I'd wager you just get the normal LOD cutoffs.

What about just a single line of large ship armor blocks?

How's it going to react to things (like asteroids) outside of the loaded area?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm still waiting for them to add a mode to match velocity with a target ship.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I can't for the life of me make a ship using large drills that can reliably go through an asteroid without getting stuck, even while coasting along at 0.5m/s, intertial dampners on, reverse thrusters disabled.

I am just going to give up and use modded drills.

Not that it particularly matters i suppose since I generally just use a small ship with a bunch of drills to mine in survival.

I use modded drills because then I can use less drills and it lags less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GotLag posted:

For ramming, I hear blast door lances are quite effective. Should be possible to make a self-repairing one with a projector and some timers, welders, grinders and merge blocks.

Yeah I came up with that but it needs a long lance to work well, hard to make it self-repairing.

• Locked thread