Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I'm having some issues with getting through the tutorial. It's been a long time since I've played and wanted a refresher, but apparently hanger doors keep instantly shutting closed and not opening back up. I was able to get around it in the first tutorial but when I get right to the end of the 2nd one it literally instant-shuts me out when I get close...

Should I just wait for planets and spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

HardDisk posted:

It's just me or the yellow interaction boxes kinda screwy when you are hovering with your jetpack.

My camera seems to shake when I hover real close to things.

e: Yeah, I'm seeing that I can't pick things up now. Somethings weird with the pointer.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 30, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

McGiggins posted:

- fixed invisible voxels
Well, now I can see gold again, there goes my weekend :ohdear:

It was very much not fixed at all.

Also refineries and assemblers are randomly not doing anything and to get them to start again you need to reload your game.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try clearing the shader cache folder. It can be found on your PC at %AppData%\SpaceEngineers\ShaderCache

Seemed to work for all of 2 minutes and it was back with a vengeance. The asteroid part of my asteroid base is 90% invisible.

New issue: My small mining/welding/grinding ship (has a couple of rotors for changing modes) keeps inexplicably falling apart and/or exploding. There aren't any enemy ships close by so I don't even know. Maybe the rotors are freaking out?

Man I was looking forward to some bug fixes today and things only managed to get even worse...

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Does anybody have any survival tips? I've pretty much made my asteroid made drone-proof and I think I'm ready to go on the offensive now. I would like to steal some big ships but it seems even the private sail can smash my little fighter thing.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use a Twin Welder/Grinder instead of the vanilla versions if you can, they have a much larger area of effect. If you're sticking to vanilla though, yeah that'll probably be fine.

What's the farthest range on those btw? Last I checked there was no pictures of its effect sphere.

E: Downloaded and checked, it's like a 3 or 4 meter diameter.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 4, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

New question: How do I make my connectors stop exploding?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

GotLag posted:

Connector chat

This all seems to have started when my station became a "ship." Before I could dock and lock without issue. I can get magnet-pulled on the connectors no problem and everything is yellow, but right when I lock down it makes a big fiery catastrophe. I'm currently not using landing gears here.

I'm trying to think of some ways around this bug. Maybe putting connectors on advanced pistons and lowering them onto parked ships?

Also there seems to be a bunch of issues with locking-down to another grid at the moment. Landing gear refuse to unlock even after being completely disassembled, and connected ships with connectors will tend to float away while still having connected inventories (I noticed this before the explosions).

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I tested connectors again and now they don't explode :confused:

Also, are there any skybox mods that work on dx11? I can't seem to find any.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What happened with dampeners in the update? Or is my workship too heavy now? Seems like my shop just doesn't want to stop anymore.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I've been fiddling with the earthbreaker drill mod for a while in survival. Started with the small wiener ship version and it was a bit underwelming. It was bigger but not by much. Then I finally managed to make one large ship one. The size and amount of ore it sucks up is downright silly. I think I dug up ~1 million iron ore in 1 minute.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

GotLag posted:

I have some minor non-block mods I always use, mostly mine:
Non-Controlling, First-Person Control Station
Reworked Conveyor Construction Costs (note that this makes conveyors significantly lighter, which can be significant on large, well-plumbed ships)
Lighter Camera Overlay
Automated Inventory Sorting (not mine, this is the fixed version)

These are some really good mods. Just subbed the reworked conveyors one after really looking at the prices of them. Jesus Christ the small ship tubes go UP in price :psyduck:.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Just in time for fallout!

This weekend is gonna be busy.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Will I have to start a new game in order to see planets?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Do the new planet easy starts also have all the other planets there to visit?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So planets are no loving joke in terms of computing power needed. Freaking 5 minutes of loading time at the very least, sub-10 fps, and random frames hitching. Granted I'm currently running with a radeon hd 5800 g-card right now, but I'll be slotting in a GTX 970 some time next week :dance:. Will a new graphics card help with the fps here or is this mostly cpu intensive?

Also, I don't mind that pirates are attacking me with drones every now and then, it's just that they're attacking me almost every 2 minutes and I can't keep up with repairs.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Space suit fuel seems to burn within a second or two now. Probably because I'm on a planet? Do all hydrogen things blaze through fuel on planets?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Just got my new graphics card! And, yes, a good graphics card does in fact improve frame rate. I'm enjoying silky smooth frame rates on planetworld after everything finishes loading.

Oddly, an SDD doesn't really improve loading time though. Probably all them voxels.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What's wrong with batteries exactly? I've been using this battery + reactors mod. It's very pretty and you can lego together one big reactor that would be significantly more powerful than a default heavy reactor. Downside is that they take up a lot of space and they're kind of weird shaped.

It also comes with 3 types of batteries;
* A capacitor which has epic output but runs dry super quick,
* A fuel cell which has epic capacity but terrible output,
* And a 1 block size mini-battery that appears to be equivalent to 1/10th of a vanilla battery. The mod author says that this battery is "actually useful," however I don't really know what he means by this and he doesn't explain.

He also has a script that he's made to help with battery management based on what your ship is currently doing. So your capacitor doesn't get drained while idling for example.

I'm slowly trying to convert all the starter ships over to the new batteries. So far I've got the fighter done.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I finally got around with playing with planets but none of my mods are loading/showing. Is this a bug or am I just failing somehow? I've tried it with DX9 and DX11, verify game cache, etc.

I'm copy-pasting my ships over but they just fall because the engines are mods :smith:

Click your game save and go edit settings. Click the mods button and you should see all the mods you subbed to. Move them over to the right and load up the game.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm trying to make a big ramp for my airplane and those sloped armor ramps keep bending and deforming other blocks near them when I place them! What the gently caress? When I weld them it makes I giant bent thing that really defeats the purpose of having a ramp.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I'm building a mountain base in creative right now (because I'm lazy) and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm running into a bug involving airtight hangar doors. When I try to stick them into the ceiling and floor to make a nice door for my tunnel, occasionally the blocks I delete to make room can't be replaced.

The whole floor area used to be covered with blocks no problem. After deleting the blocks there, they can't be replaced. The effect is two blocks wide and apparently infinitely deep. I can put blocks above it, but nothing below. There are no apparent blockages and yes, the whole structure is together and was never separated.

I know what's going on here! Those blocks your deleting are separating the other blocks from the main grid you're working on. Those other separated blocks become their own seperate station, and so if you try to build next to it those other blocks are in the way. To avoid this, either try to keep all the blocks always connected to each other, or when starting a station/base use the universal grid by not pressing b.

VVV- well poo poo

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 23, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You just need to figure out how much power you use in one full day (day and night) while working at full balls-to-the-wall power consuming mode. Then you need your solar panels to produce a little above that number. They're total production rate will need to be roughly double your total consumption rate in order to compensate for night time.

Solar panels are really tricky to figure out how much power they're generating though, since the angle of the sun effects output and such. Having solars on rotars and keeping it aimed at the sun helps. But I have yet to actually figure out / be assed to actually do that yet.

The number of batteries only depends on how long your night is. A shorter night means you don't need so much batteries.

If, however, you're typically not working your base very hard most of the time and tend to have bursts of productivity, you can run with less solar panels and more batteries.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Speaking of solar panels, I'm having an issue with my camera satellite solars not generating any power when high in the sky. I made sure to angle the panels the way the sun was moving and they generate a grand total of zero power points. I land the thing to take a looksie and the panels suddenly are working fine now? :confused:

Issue number 2: I have a large drilltruck with 4 5x5 wheels and sometimes one wheel will sometimes disappear. :confused: Like... Its just gone now.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Welp. Trees are the stupidest loving thing to happen since planets. I just had the misfortune of autosaving while driving my huge drilltruck in a forested area (had to reload due to wheels disappearing lol) and now every time I reload the save a tree (previously knocked down) is instantly revived inside of my driver's seat, blowing up everything to poo poo.

This loving game is such a loving mess right now it's insane. Rotors/pistons/all moving part are constantly exploding, wheels randomly GONE, trees/vegetation don't actually ever go away, cockpits are suicide booths if not properly ventilated and there's no indicator that you're loving dying.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Man I keep coming back to this drat game ever so often and every single time it's the same experience: Try to get survival going, get frustrated by some finnicky bullshit or other, give up, regret having bothered.

It's so tantalizingly close to something amazing, but it's just far too taxing for my patience just now.

Bugs aside the survival progression is probably the most infuriating part, even before planets (though planets have certainly brought it from "very unpleasant" to "untenable").

I hope eventually there will be a long enough window of stability for a few mods to make this into a more cohesive survival experience.

Creative can be fun I guess but I like my space-lego to have a bit more purpose :/

e: I really want to play spaceblocks but this game is just utterly broken right now. It doesn't help at all that the autosave feature is as barebones as it can get, literally just a save connected to a timer and it doesn't even take pauses or loading into the game or manual saving into consideration. Also no backup saves of any kind is making me want to kill something.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 24, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The batteries in my base aren't recharging at all unless I check the recharge box. What's the deal here? I have a billion solar panels too.

e: Seems like my base draws power from solars first, then batteries next. How do you guys manage the power at your bases?
e2: So of a bitch my solar panels are outputting 0 power what the gently caress?? Does power not flow through rotors?

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 26, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You could try loading a world without planets and pasting a planet in creative...

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well after getting frustrated with trying to build a mining truck, I decided to just steal materials from the nearby pirate base instead! And this isn't the little outpost I'm talking about, this is the big headquarters on the earth planet. My experience has been very successful.

Here's the what do guide:
When you get there, there's going to be this drones spawning quite often. Sometimes it's the "stinging adversaries" that you're all used to, and sometimes it's these bigger, saucer types that are harder to shoot down. They have much more engines than the other, have a gatling turret on the bottom, and a missile turret on the top. But you can just attack from the bottom or top and quickly take out one of the turrets and just laser-beam right through the middle and make it useless.

What you will see!
The whole base has several islands, each one is themed such as "ore processing," "salvaging," "crew," etc. And one main, big island in the middle. And then there's the turret towers surrounding them near the bottom.

Their spawn antenna!
The big island in the middle is where these drones are popping out of. At first I thought it was the antennas on the top. Nope it's this one antenna that's in a heavy-armor room, surrounded by personnel turrets, which is in turn inside a light-armor room, which is inside the big building. Kinda ridiculous.

Kill outside things!
The first thing you should do is to take out the big turrets from 900ish meters away. There's a lot of them. There's also a few outer mini-turrets outside that can be annoying. When I was doing this the drones that were spawning weren't pursuing me, so it made this task easy.

Kill antenna/drones!
After you take out most of the turrets, zoom on in closer and take out the drones real quick. Then take your gatlings and bullet-drill right into the middle of the middle island where the antenna is. Be aware of the little turrets inside as you're making this hole. Once that antenna is kaput, blow up any remaining turrets outside.

Don't hack any terminals!
If you hack any terminals in the base, all of the inside turrets will go batshit and start shooting everything! I assume they're trying to shoot through the base and kill the hacked terminal, but I don't know. It bogged down my frames tremendously when I did this and it really isn't necessary anyways.

EZPZ!
Be very careful going inside these buildings each large cargo container is surrounded with explosives that trigger when someone gets close. Each warhead has a sensor on it that triggers if you even get a little bit close. If that happens then all that juicy cargo is gone. I think it would explode if you get within 4 or so large blocks of it. Don't shoot the sensors or the warheads! Your mission now is to shoot and kill all batteries and reactors you see. And everything is connected even the turret towers! The turret towers also each have their own battery, which is sometimes underground. Don't worry about ammo or if you forgot to bring a drill, the crew quarters island has way more ammo than you will ever need as well as a bunch of tools. And watch out for indoor turrets, there's a lot of them. They're kind of easy to see though, since they're red and the rest of the base is varying shades of brown and grey. There's some batteries that you would have to shoot rather than grind since they're too close to exploders, but in this case you can hover outside in your ship and shoot through the window at it. There are a lot of batteries, and the ones in the turret towers outside also need to go.

Once everything is powered down, CONGRATS! You can now walk right up to those warheads and dismantle them all easy like. Hack those cargos and dismantle any other turrets you may have missed. The islands should all be connected with conveyors, so once you make the base "safe" you can power it back up with one of the reactors on the middle island and bring over your cargo-ship and suck up all the loot at one of the connectors! Lots of loot! one of the cargos also had 800 superconductors too!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 27, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So are cameras not telescopes anymore? I can't seem to zoom super far anymore.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

My big ship thing has a bunch of smaller ships attached to it, and I just discovered why the connectors keep disconnecting! When I'm in the big ship pilot seat, pressing P would turn off all ship connectors temporarily.

This really messes up my small ship "supercomputer" that is just a bunch of timers and program blocks. It's meant to stay connected 100%. Is there any way to ensure that individual connectors stay locked all the time?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'll have to do that rotor trick then. Still, pressing P still disconnects all my docked ships.

Maybe I should just not use landing gear on my huge ship for landing? What do you guys think I should use instead? Just armor blocks?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm running super god drat slow now in my game. What's happening?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

How can I check sim speed? I'm offline singleplayer and I get good framerates it's just now I'm like moving in super slow-mo.

E: I have a sim speed of 0.43. UUUUGH. How do I make it 1? This is horrible.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 4, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm going to guess that my low sim speed has to do with my CPU not being able to simulate physics for the accumulated mass of floating items and debris from dozens of drones and other things. Trash removal seems to still be broked.

Also new really weird problem; whenever I get close to docking my small travel ship onto this specific connector on my ship, the game immediately crashes. It's just this one ship and that one connector, too. What's the deal there?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seeing as people liked the other ones, have a cutaway.

Wait for the hotfix when they "optimize" their new optimizations :v:.

I see you're using hydrogen reactors mod which is cool. I just got that one, have yet to actually poke at it though. Is that an extra large hydrogen tank? Sorry about spamming this thread with my problems btw. I'll be posting some nice content pictures of my dumb survival wienership soon.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

McGiggins posted:

TLDR of my eaten effort post:

Technology tree. Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 of all the things, need to R&D with resources and time to upgrade and be able to build all the things beyond current stock.

If you kill a more advanced players ship, you can salvage their still intact high tech stuff and attempt to reverse engineer it (time and resources), or you can go full pirate and just merge block staple it to your existing ship.

Aliens are a thing, but are all dead. You can find alien stuff (extremely rare) and they're the highest tech stuff there is, so competing for it and finding it is part of the endgame.

As a heavily teched up player, you need to balance owning folk with not letting your tech get captured and R&Ded, thus losing an advantage. Smart players are going to be playing this game, and we've all seen some poo poo on the workshop that uses intelligence to trump firepower, so tech advantage isn't all that OP.

End Game: There is a fully intact alien ship being restored by the pirates. It'll take them forever to do it, and they're also in the market for all the blueprints and parts. and what tech they do have they use in their ships, forcing you to use higher tech stuff in your own and increasing the risk you might lose a ship to them with tech they need.

Find the ship, stop the super meteor shower, etc.

I dunno.

Absolutely love it! This game could really use some form of research element to it instead of just giving you access to everything right from the get go. It could also double as a psudo-tutorial for the blocks you gain knowledge that tells you what the heck it does. Also having less access to everything from the start would be less overwhelming for new players. ALSO PROGRESSION!

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Here's my album of my current survival ship! It's a really big ship that can take off from earth to space (thanks titan engine!) and space to planet without crashing!

No hydrogen thrusters for reasons. It was mostly hobbled together based on current needs.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Just noticed something while looking through the log file to figure out why these specific 2 connectors of mine are causing CTD.

Notice the log times. It goes date > hours > minutes > seconds > milliseconds. After just being in the game for a whole 5 minutes I've already generated a log file 5,522 kb in size. Every moment I'm playing my game there's an error occurring. Is this normal for you guys too?

Edit: Just used my jump drive for the first time. After the jump, my gyros refuse to respond despite being turned ON and everything. About a minute later the game suddenly crashes. This happened twice now. (Just drives are apparently VERY BUSTED right now)

E2: My ship which is in space is now turning very slowly to the left despite being outside any gravity and all connected ships stuff being perfectly OFF...

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 5, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Merge blocks are super cool. They're one of my favorite blocks in this game. I'm glad they're not bugged to oblivion like rotors/pistons/jumpdrives/game.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Getting started in survival on a planet is really hard... Anyone got any advice or pointers? Mining seems to be a huge pain in the rear end, and ore sensors don't seem to work very well.

Wheeled vehicles are really weird right now. The best wheeled vehicles set the wheels' friction to zero and slide around using small thrusters similar to skiing in tribes games. IE: turn it into a hovercraft. It's also immensely fun and practical since it combines the energy efficiancy of wheels and the speed of a flight craft. Using wheels like how you would expect is an exercise in frustration.

When building an actual flight craft, use large thrusters over the smaller ones whenever you can. You don't need thrusters pushing you down, you have gravity for that.

The best mining ship is one that flies and is shaped a bit like a jackhammer. Be sure to put extra lots of thrusters on it because that ore you dig up really add up with mass on your ship after a short while.

Batteries and solar panels are going to be your main source of power generation unless you can manage to find a uranium vein, so get acquainted with them. Generally I leave everything unchecked on the batteries (full-auto) so it both recharges and discharges at the same time. When I'm not using the vehicle I check the "recharge" so it only recharges and not discharge. Grids will always pull power from solars > batteries > reactors in this order. So don't be surprised if your batteries aren't being charged by your solars, power is probably being pulled from something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So now they have a version of the game that's a broken, nearly unplayable buggy mess, and another that's 10 times that...

• Locked thread