Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Medieval Engineers just got a new game mode, Castle Siege:

Patch notes video explaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxDpN1-w80

Also, there's a new blog post with the outline for their plans for Medieval.

This combined with the AI article makes it pretty obvious they are wanting to go the Stronghold/DF mixed with survival games route for ME, and that's really exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Buttmeister posted:

I typed up a long post but then I lost it, here's the condensed version of it:

I have the basic framework done for a Space Station 13 mod and would like to know if there is any interest in it so I can validate my (making?) of this mod. Its mostly a concept right now with just a few hundred lines of code stapled on and I just need to know if it sounds like a good idea before I move beyond coding and start doing assets, the details, etc. Also I don't want to end up like Flower child or Greg or whatever the autistic modder of the day is, how do I do that?

Chiming in to say that while I have SE and have 0 interest in actually playing survival (I think it's a massive timesink and I value my time more than that) I would 100% start playing SE again if there was a good SS13 mod. Do it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Buttmeister posted:

Alright, you two saying that has motivated me to do it. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I am out of work (and not in a bad way) with nothing to do half the drat time. I should also mention I am a perfectionist (and not in a good way) with my code. Expect to see things break because I think its right. Expect to see me fix said things in inexplicable manors that even i cant explain. I am shooting for a playable build by the end of next month. Don't mark my words.

How much of a reproduction will it be, are we talking different clothes for different jobs, the whole hog? You really could have something here on a DayZ to Arma level if you are planning on really going deep with the faithfulness to the original. I know many have been hankering for a 3d SS13 and this engine is actually perfect for it (block based vs tile based, detailed destructions, etc).

Does the engine support decals? Definitely going to need poo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Buttmeister posted:

I'm actually going to put the SS13 mod on hold for a bit until this "Ion" thing Dean Hall is revealed in a little bit more detail. Yes, I understand this is the man that made DayZ and Ion probably won't be that good, but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being and see if this is just going to be a big budget, easier to play thing than what I am (kind of) making. Right now I am at the point where I can say "abandon ship" and not really use much as I am just recycling in-game assets and there are MAYBE a thousand lines of code added to the base game (I'm working off the source code, which is another issue: how the hell am I going to distribute this? Dumb move on my end, but if all else fails I can just make an installer maybe I guess that permanently modifies in game files??).

tl;dr project is on hold until ion inevitably turns out poo poo

edit: plus I really didn't think this through. the whole "HEY GUYS IM MAKING A MOD FOR A GAME WITH WEEKLY UPDATES" was kinda rushed on my end. And now that I think about it some more I am going to make this thing no matter what, I kinda just want to see what Ion does and steal all their ideas :eng101:

Isn't Ion going to be isometric top-down? Doesn't really fill the same niche as a first-person SS13 would, it's more a remake than a reimagining.

Don't give up, many people (myself included) would be all over a first-person SS13 moreso than another top-down version of it.

• Locked thread