Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised either. I'd still settle for glassing the surface down to the invulnerable layer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG4jSlY328c

Replace oil with ore, and pipeline with mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Why would you bother mining a planet when you can shoot giant loving rocks at it from space?

Eventually you run out of spacerocks and need to gravity well a different planet.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

if i cant carve a chunk of that moon off and send it hurtling into someone's base e: castle at reentry speeds, this has all been for nothing

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The illiterate speak makes it 100x better.

hay guse wft with thsi bullsht every1 kno planet go around sun LEERN SUM SCIENS

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

- fixed ships colliding when jumping towards the same GPS at the same time

Aww, this bug sounded awesome.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Verizian posted:

I can't imagine a 32bit only cpu with the memory limitations working with Space Engineers, what OS are you on? Windows 8 and 10 don't care if your licence is for 32bit or 64bit and some people on Win7 successfully phoned up Microsoft to get a new key to switch from 32bit to 64bit though they'll try and sell you a new DVD. It's simple enough to backup and reformat too.

The key does transfer between 32/64 bit freely, even on Win7. You can get legit Windows ISOs from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and a program to install from USB stick (so much faster than DVD) from http://wudt.codeplex.com/.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

rossmum posted:

Goons! Specifically, goons who know how to computer! I have a thing I'd like to propose.

You can use either mechanical linkages or scripts for programmable blocks that will automatically cause all your (block-based) turrets to aim where the director is aiming. However, this can't account for parallax error by adjusting shot convergence, so it's only so useful. It also can't control actual prebuilt turrets, only block-based weapons. The first thing I thought when I saw the laser antenna was how much it looks like some kind of electro-optical targeting complex, like something you'd see on the nose of an Apache - would it be possible to create a modded block from it which automatically causes all turrets to aim at the specific point where it's aiming, thus accounting for the problems with the existing system and allowing for it in a smaller, less breakage-prone package?

As for everyone else, this is adorable and while I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, it looks like it might just answer my prayers for a compact, effective CIWS system that can be fed via conveyors and doesn't look like rear end.

Something like this sounds feasible, if you know where each of your turrets are in relation to the laser antenna, and you can get range out of the laser antenna somehow (its been a while since I've played), you can do some math to converge the turrets. One possible problem is that the rotors will only rotate to full degrees, so you might not be able to converge accurately a long way out.

E: Oh I'm speaking purely about programmable blocks, might be able to do something more clever with an actual mod.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Are there any mods for better batteries? The latest patch seemed to have nerfed them kinda hard.

quote:

Balancing
- increased power output and input of batteries
- increased capacity of batteries

Ask and ye shall receive.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

It's just c# code IIRC, so you should be able to set Notepad++ to Langauge->C->C# to get your highlighting.

I wouldn't try to use Visual Studio or anything; you'd have to like import the space engineers libraries and stuff to make it work right.

Visual Studio actually works really well, you can get syntax checking and Intellisense.

http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/guide-setting-up-visual-studio-for-programmable-block-scripting.7225319/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

Sometimes the RNG just likes putting certain ores in difficult-to-reach spots. Also, he ore scanner on your drill has a very, very short range - chances are there's a deposit on an asteroid you've explored but it was just hidden underneath stone or other ores. Build a surveyor ship with an ore detector - preferably a large one, that'll spot deposits from within 150M.

(Assuming Keen hasn't broken them again, sometimes it fails to show deposits that are -right there-...)

I still want the ability to filter the ore detector. If I could keep everything off the HUD except <that one ore I haven't found yet> I could find the one I'm interested in that much quicker because of reduced visual clutter.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So wait...did KSH change the oxygen tanks over to rocket fuel for the demo then forget to change them back?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

I can't wait to literally nuke it from orbit.

Medieval Engineers and Space Engineers should be made MP compatible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zodack posted:

Is there a workaround for this on Windows 10?

I can play the game just fine, but when I try to Save and Exit it freezes up, and I have to open Task Manager to get out of the process. Even then, it runs in the background and I can't stop it, so I have to restart my computer if I want to play it again. I've read online that this is an OS thing or it's a DirectX thing. No way to really know. Didn't know if there was some accepted fix for it.

Not sure about an actual fix but grab Process Explorer. That'll let you see the processes on your system in tree form; there's probably another Space Engineers-related process that also isn't terminating, so if you kill that as well, you'll probably be able to get back in without a reboot at least.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I still can't run SE with planets at anything approaching a reasonable FPS. I've got a GTX 760 and an i7-4771, and I'm running at 1920x1080 borderless window, so I should have enough hardware to do this. I start up the generic Quick Start scenario with no mods, and I'm at around 10FPS in the base.

Also I've had trees hanging out in midair both maps I've genned. Related somehow?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Alright so I have one day set to 30 minutes so I need enough batteries to produce enough kWh to last the night and enough solar panels to power the batteries in addition to whatever else is running?

E: from the looks of base values its going to be impossible to run anything that maintains altitude with atmospheric thrusters with a solar panels and batteries.

If you get 50% sun coverage, you need 2x power drain of solar panels, and enough batteries to store 7.5m of solar panel max output. Adjust from there.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Absolutely love it! This game could really use some form of research element to it instead of just giving you access to everything right from the get go. It could also double as a psudo-tutorial for the blocks you gain knowledge that tells you what the heck it does. Also having less access to everything from the start would be less overwhelming for new players. ALSO PROGRESSION!

Agreed but it needs a mineral rework at the same time. One of the biggest problems with this game is that the difficulty curve is almost straight up until you find a deposit of every single mineral, then it gets a heck of a lot easier once you can build things like thrusters and control consoles/cockpits. I'm not sure how Keen could introduce a tiered mineral/module system without a complete refactoring of the game, but maybe that's still not the worst idea ever.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

realistic space warfare would probably be like forever war where they see the missile weeks in advance but inertia is a bitch

e: and therefore wouldnt be fun

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

[Armchair Dev]
Personally, I'd like to see Large Ships as virtually immobile in combat- thrusters being weak, momentum very high, etc. Their primary mode of transport is Jumping. Perhaps adding in a smaller jump drive that only goes a few K for smaller large ships, but anyway. Plus, gun turrets being hardened a bit. Lastly, AI turrets target powered blocks sources randomly-- they don't target Guns first, they roll a die and pick, say, and oxy generator to shoot at. Decoy blocks get a better chance of being picked, and turrets pick a new target every 5-8 seconds until they find a command chair, gun, or reactor (and/or, set by the Control panel)

The idea being that two Large Ships can beat on each other for a long time, encouraging the use of directed-fire weapons (ideally, Homeworld-style Ion cannons added) and Fighters/Bombers. Have three Tiers of gun turret- Antiperson/Point Defense (can target missiles and locks quickly), Medium (current, but with tracking speed slower, can't target missiles, takes several seconds to target Small blocks), and Large (most damage, can't target Small at all, lousy tracking).

Now you have two+ capital ships duking it out and blasting holes in each other, with several fighters dogfighting between them (or a Large bombarding a Station, etc).
[/Armchair Dev]

Realistic space combat would likely be more "divert comet to hit enemy planet/landing zone(s)"... there will never be 'battleships' or 'carriers' as reality/scifi knows them. Imagine trying to hit an enemy ship in Kerbal.

realistic space combat hovers between denying potentially useful orbits and raining down death rocks on the stupid fuckers who are still inside the gravity well

fake edit: asteroids can do both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jigoku San posted:

The first thing would have to be a revamp of the damage model. As it is now an armor block can deform a bit and vaporize any non-deformable block attached to it or even a block away because it does infinite damage. Then the weapons need to be redone as well.

For new systems I think a power management system would be good, The old "Divert power to weapons/engines" kind of thing where everything can't just run at max all the time or turned off. It would be good for non-combat stuff too.

the engine already hitches when two deformable objects hit each other at low speed

an asteroid peaceing through a large block ship sounds easy but once the engine has to evaluate every single block that it hits?

• Locked thread