Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OSad
Feb 29, 2012
So, if a dedicated survival server is having spasms where FPS is dropping to single digits, objects occasionally go flying across space with the lightest of bumps (only to a second or two later, return to where they were), and your inability to grind/weld anything in the game world, followed by a very large perceived delay when trying to interact with objects, is it a mod problem or something?

Me and some buddies run such a server, and while going through it at first, we thought the problem was solar arrays, updating... whatever they do every five seconds or so and consequently, sending some pretty enormous packets to the server en-masse. When we turned off solar concentrators and took down all the solar arrays, the problem seemed to get better... only to get aggravated later after I disabled and brought in a Military Transporter to near our base.

I can't really give any details, because I'm not the server owner. But everyone who plays on it seems to have this idea that maybe the server is "corrupted" or something, which seems a little silly to me since it will still boot up and we can still fly around on it and stuff, but there's just something in there causing some insane lag. If we could figure out what's causing said lag, we could remove it and everything would be better! I think.

Are there any problematic mods that we, on a survival server, should absolutely not run? We didn't have anything special loaded; some of the biggest ones I can think of were XL and Azimuth(?) thrusters, and the mega small block pack. Will building very large ships cause problems with servers? Is there some sort of tool or mod that makes multiplayer better, or at *least* gives you a bit more data on what everything is doing in the server? Thank you.

PS: It is almost assuredly not a server box problem: the server runs on a dedicated rig that, from what I understand, has a good internet connection with great upstream, is very well-cooled and runs *only* this single dedicated server. Last time I asked about it, the administrator said the server was absolutely fine in all regards, but a single core was working a lot harder than the other ones, because apparently Space Engineers does not support multicores.

OSad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

Anyhow, besides waiting for Keen to get an actually functioning build of the netcode out, there's little you can do besides keep your area clean and 'simple' - grinding up or moving unused ships further away, for example, and simplifying your designs. Mobile ships use up more computing power than immobile stations, and simple armor blocks use up less computing power than blocks that actually -do- something. Unfinished blocks take up more processing power than finished blocks (mostly because there's no display culling and scaffolds have more triangles than simple cubes) so finishing up any projects can make things easier for you. The server settings also have the 'number of floating objects' and 'automatic cleanup' toggles for performance - the former limits the amount of floating pickupable objects (like floating chunks of ore and components) that can be in existence at a time, the other makes 'garbage' like severed blocks and simple wreckages disappear if there aren't any players around them for a while.

Rebooting the server regularly can also help - like I said, there are memory leaks, and if you're got a 24/7 dedicated server running, it's going to end up taking shitloads of resources just to handle the 'trash data' left by the memory leaks. Rebooting will clear up the crud from your RAM and give you a little performance boost, at least until the leaks compound again.

I see. Thank you very much. Last time I checked, we did have quite a few captured NPC ships just sitting there waiting to be deconned, right next to our little construction area next to some unfinished ships. Might be worth it to move those to their own little dedicated scrapyard 10 kilometers out or so.

• Locked thread