Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Splode posted:

Today I designed a large ship and it didn't come out as a large box. This is a milestone in my ship designing.
I hope sometime in the future we get auto-shaping slope blocks that don't look like dented garbage. If there was some way to specify a series of points and have the blocks use them to automatically form a bézier curve that would be the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
I'm really hoping for a new thruster (or alternate functionality for current thrusters) that allow for a fast burst of speed, as opposed to a gradual velocity increase. It would really help for maneuvering. And launching missiles. I've seen a few potentially viable options on the Workshop, but they're mostly weapons made to work like thrusters so they don't respond to arrow key movement.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Couldn't you just add a bunch of extra thrusters and a battery back-up to power them, and turn them all on/off at the same time? It wouldn't exactly be an air-dash or anything, but it'd be faster.

Alternatively, add a gravity generator and a bunch of mass blocks, turn them all on to 'fall' through space.
Adding more and more thrusters adds more bulk, which is really the opposite of the light-and-maneuverable fighter that I'm going for. I have made gravity drives before but it feels kinda cheat-y, and you can't place them on small ships regardless. Both of your solutions technically work, but I was mainly hoping for a specific implementation of it as its own block, or new vanilla thruster feature. Perhaps a new Module?

Splode posted:

Speaking of, what's the latest with those goons who were making SS13 in space engineers?
I'm also curious; I was really impressed with the work they put in on the station floorplan.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Buttmeister posted:

I typed up a long post but then I lost it, here's the condensed version of it:

I have the basic framework done for a Space Station 13 mod and would like to know if there is any interest in it so I can validate my (making?) of this mod. Its mostly a concept right now with just a few hundred lines of code stapled on and I just need to know if it sounds like a good idea before I move beyond coding and start doing assets, the details, etc. Also I don't want to end up like Flower child or Greg or whatever the autistic modder of the day is, how do I do that?
I'd love this. Also the fact that you are gauging community interest first rather than waving your ego around or dictating the strict and inflexible framework of your masterpiece already puts you leagues ahead of 95% of modders out there.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
The latest "Deathmatch" scenario tools actually got me really interested in the FPS possibilities of Space Engineers. A space shooter with 3D movement isn't a new concept by any means, but a space shooter with 3D movement, fully destructible environments, voxel-based building, vehicles, drones, and full mod support seems pretty awesome.

I wish Keen would add more robust weapon functionality to include reloading, multiple projectiles (shotguns), etc.
That and update the HUD to show ammo count.

E: I know if I brought this up on the official forums people would sperg out about how SE isn't an FPS and that's not the point of the game, but as far I'm concerned playing it as a shooter is just another thing to do while waiting for AI to be implemented enough to make survival mode actually engaging.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 24, 2015

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the very least you can see your remaining ammo on the Hotbar, but I get what you mean. Have you tried Sektan's S Gun pack for more handheld weapons?
Yeah some of those are cool, but the main issue is the lack of mod support for other types of weapons/guns; even the sniper rifle and shotgun are just assault rifles with a longer delay between shots. Also, none of the gun packs I've seen really interest me, Sektan's is kind of a mish-mosh of a bunch of different guns from other games. I've been working on trying to put together a few guns that are similar in design to each other, and fit the look of Space Engineers stylistically. The trouble is my background is in solid-modeling CAD, not wireframe, and blender is giving me a headache.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iiiiit's that time of the week again.

Update 1.088 posted:

(...)
- world option: sun rotation
(...)
Looks like we're starting to get the first solid parts of the Planet update ahead of it (sun rotation and voxels on station grids). Soon... Soon... :peanut:

Thankfully it looks like this update is not getting by without taking its proper dose of criticism.

An actual person on the official forums posted:

ok i just do not get this why dose the sun rotate around space how dose it rotate around space why is no one else speaking up about this this is so unlogical it is driving me nuts and i don't know why if you are on a planet the sun would rotate to simulate the planet rotating but in space the sun dose not orbit like that not unless we are in the center of a galaxy but if we were ware is the black hole crating the gravity well the sun needs to be locked to one point in space space should rotate around the sun the way thy have it is just nuts dose not make scenes and makes me question how much thy know about space

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
Working on a new standard rifle, trying to make it fit the Space Engineers aesthetic more than the modern-day-military-looking vanilla rifle. I still need to give it a proper stock and add an iron-sight to it, but after that it's on to the texture.
Once I'm done with this I'm planning on doing a pistol as well as a third weapon, maybe a sniper rifle or shotgun.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really like that design, but I think for a more Space Engineers aesthetic you need something slightly more simple and chunky for a rifle designed to be used in space. That one's just a shade too sci-fi, if you get what I mean, though I'd totally want that one as well.
Thanks, I tried to stick to straight lines and flat surfaces for the most part, except for a few details. Keep in mind some of the lines are actually separating two pieces of one continuous part and they won't actually appear in the final model-- it might make it look more complex than it really is. That said, I'll probably re-work the more intricate-looking parts to simplify it even more.

Hell, even if the guns I make don't necessarily look 100% Space Engineers, at least they'll be a new gun set with a consistent look to them, which is the most important thing I'm after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
What about a re-skin of the grinder into a chainsaw?

E: Now that I think about it, we're getting planets with trees, so it wouldn't even be that out of place.

• Locked thread