Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nice :dong: you have there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This hole is towards the front of the ship, behind the Dismantler, and there is no damage between it and this hole.

My guess is, it got launched at hundreds (thousands?) m/s, and in a single physics tick passed through most of your ship :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm running the game on 2560x1600 on a 980Ti and an i7 4770k, and the performance is really good. It's an overkill machine, but I'm still surprised. Trying similar things in similar games usually gets me into teen fps, if not single digit.

There are annoying stutters here and there, I'm guessing due to loading more landscape/updating voxels etc, but when I'm not moving around at high speeds or crashing from orbit, its perfectly playable. I'm actually surprised at how well it runs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

How does the dedicated server handle it when it's limited to a single thread?

I'm running one for my friends, and while there's only one person playing right now, it's using 2% cpu and 2 gigs of ram. Peanuts, basically.

HardDisk posted:

There's no orbital mechanics, right?

Right.

e: Technically, there are, but top speed is way too low for you to miss the planet when falling down to it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to disable grinding items producing scrap instead of actual components?

I'm a dumb, this only happens with batteries because they're partly charged

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 13, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is...

Is that a blue Hel? :v:

vvvv: Minmatar ships are the best. :3:

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else have issues with batteries not charging from solar panels at all in multiplayer?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

poo poo, I thought I was just draining the battery so fast! Yeah, same problem here. 10 solar panels and not an erg of charge when night falls.

I have 11 panels now and batteries are filling fine (though still very slowly obviously), but it could have also just been a server restart that did it :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys mine with? Just a rocket powered miner or something on wheels?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

Edit: I had no problems when I was manually hosting the game on Thursday night, but last night/today it's been a pain in the rear end since I transferred over to my new dedicated server.

Yeah, the issue came back after fiddling/docking with the station. I'm hosting in the game now and it suddenly works fine!

Dedicated is pretty much not working for us due to this, since planets have only trace amounts of uranium.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I found another odd glitch with batteries. I'm now hosting the server in my client and batteries work better, but they still don't behave like you'd expect. Our base has 2.4MW of panels, and turning on two refineries, plus a single assembler causes them to drain slowly... Until you set the recharge only mode, at which point they start to charge at the rate one would expect.

Also, assemblers keep getting stuck. When making small items, they work fine, but for large items where they only pull 1 item worth of material from conveyors, they keep getting stuck after each item.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having loads of fun with the new challenge of building giant things while being constrained to walking on the ground. It's fun times. It crashed a grand total of once for me and I've had it running for almost a week now, so I'd say it's fairly playable. Wheels are glitchy as hell, though, so I stick to flying things. Less falling into the planet.

Also, a friend is telling me there's a way to build things out of a ship. I have a small welder/grinder ship but can't figure it out, anyone knows if that's possible at all?

vvv: Thanks, that makes sense.

Truga fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 19, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Atmospheric thrusters start to lose thrust pretty quickly with altitude, maybe it's that? Did you land on a mountain? :v:

e: Yeah, that doesn't look like it should have trouble taking off.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can do it, though your save file will end up being gigantic.

Also, there's currently a bug where if you leave a ship docked somewhere for long enough (hours), it'll fall off the dock eventually, breaking free. It'll still stay docked for all intents and purposes apart from not being able to move, though, so you basically have a wormhole conveyor to your station.

It happened to my grind/weld thing and it owns not having to constantly sort through items, instead just pulling everything from the huge container on the station. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Here's my welder thing:

Dock is on the other side:

I built it before I knew how to build from inside the cockpit though, so I'll have to make a new one that's connected to the conveyor...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Logikv9 posted:

The whole floor area used to be covered with blocks no problem. After deleting the blocks there, they can't be replaced. The effect is two blocks wide and apparently infinitely deep. I can put blocks above it, but nothing below. There are no apparent blockages and yes, the whole structure is together and was never separated.

I had this and grinding and re-building blocks around the area sometimes fixes things. And sometimes it just makes it worse.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're better off with a connector on the base than the side if you can manage it. Makes it much easier to land and align your ship to the connector. Plus the pull of it will keep your ship in place and upright.

I can connect this super easily by just rotating the view to the side with alt, because I can see one side of it from the cockpit. Plus, in the event of power failure, the ship lands on the armour blocks/cockpits, which are super sturdy. I've lost connectors to gravity before.

e: Also, all my connectors have super low force now since I broke the one on my miner *twice* when slowly approaching and suddenly boom!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HardDisk posted:

You also need to have a component storage connected to the bottom of the cockpit for it to work.

This, or just bring an inventory full of steel plates and a couple construction components/interior plates. It's what I'm doing while I get around to fixing my welder.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

They should have no boxes ticked.

This way, they're semi-auto, and will recharge or discharge based on the input and output load.

However, having them on recharge makes them recharge faster if your base is drawing any appreciable power. It looks like when no boxes are ticked, batteries give out power to machines, even though said machines are already also getting power from panels, making them recharge really slow, or even drain, even though you're only using half of your panel power.

Also, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=380165093

This uncaps the game's top speed. I heavily recommend it, if nothing else to just get out of the goddamn gravity well much much faster. Even just accelerating to 300m/s shortens the trip down to well under 2 minutes.

Also, with this it's possible to have real orbits. And, since there's no drag (yet?), you can have a thing that orbits the planet really low really fast. Tricky to do though, if you leave 1.0 g area, you get thrown out because the gravity falloff is all wrong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can have 6 planets + infinite asteroids.

Anyone else have the problem of assemblers constantly getting stuck after running out of juice/materials? Every time the internal inventory lacks enough poo poo to build an item, it gets stuck even if less than a second later it pulls shitloads of crap from the conveyor. This is annoying when building tens of thousands of steel plates....

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I see witchspace is working as intended :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I'm seeing some wheeled stuff here. Are wheels fixed yet, or do they still get super glitchy on planets?

Also, yeah, use blast doors as armour, since armour seems to fail at that job right now due to deforming more than 1 block away and destroying whatever was in the way...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The dedicated server is a bit of a shitshow right now where half of the things don't work, no doubt in large part due to netcode being crap and not getting touched in a long time as it's waiting for the ~next big rewrite~.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
People have successfully built an elevator from the moon to the earth planet, so there's definitely not a hard limit on size.

There's definitely jank involved, though. Sometimes, poo poo just explodes for seemingly no reason.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Multipart machines are very much my thing, but does space engineers have the capability for them to exist yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know that. That's good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
e: poo poo, wrong thread.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's still some very annoying issues with dedicated server too. Like a bunch programmable block things simply not working, for example. Also, batteries are better but still very odd.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Firos posted:

I loved the script that you can get that makes it so that a solar farm follows the sun as it traverses the sky :allears:

This is exactly what didn't work for me last time I tried running a dedicated server. All the panels kept reporting 0 power generated to the programmer block even though batteries were filling. And batteries only really filled when checked to fill.

Becaause, batteries work really weird. Say, you have 10MW of solar power during day and a 5MW load. The batteries then show 5MW input and 5MW output during day, effectively not charging. This is fixed by clicking on the charge box, but then you have to cycle it somehow during day and night. However, the programmable block can't read the charge/discharge state of the battery, just toggle it, so there's no way to program it reliably.

This, coupled with the fact that you get really bad efficiency without rotating the panels (because that script doesn't work either) meant that I just ran the game instead on my pc.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. A friend and I are playing on a survival server, and platinum sucks.

Not the finding part, the refining part. We have a refinery ship with 32 refineries on it and everything else gets crunched easily enough, but platinum just takes forever.... and someone dumped 700k platinum ore into one of the containers :v:

I mean, I get why uranium takes a while to refine, it's not something you need lots of, just tiny amounts for missiles and power. One large large thruster is like 400 Pt though.

Also, here's some content - the refinery ship we're building:

Speaking of refining, I have some 50k concrete slabs and 4M extra gravel, I need some ideas on what kind of station to build with it. Anyone have any good examples?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
We use subcraft to get in and out of atmospheres and really any gravity well. Apparently at max cargo it was going to need like 10 large hydrogen thrusters just to land on moons, so we abandoned that idea. I mean, it's not entirely undoable, but mining that much ice gets tedious.

I'll post more pictures once it's finished.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry! Didn't have any pictures of the other craft so I went and made them.

This thing looks neat but doesn't really do much except fly real loving fast. Or carry solar cells, because they're huge and light. But we stopped doing that because we have assemblers in space now so...

This thing can carry like 400 tons of whatever into orbit and still have fuel to spare. It's literally a rocket and takes off vertically :v:

Last but not least, the miner, which recently got upgraded from a 3x3 small drills to this thing (I wanted it earlier but we were low on platinum for a very long time):

It can't hover on the moon with full cargo in this (travel) configuration, but I can move half of the horizontal and all but one of the thrusters pointing up to point down at the drill (so 20 thrusters down), and then it can hover easily. Then I just dig vertical holes into the surface until I get to ore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How are you storing ore in it? Just in the drillhead itself?

Yep. The game seems to calculate cargo volume from the volume of the block. Even with just 9 vanilla drills, I had nearly half of the cargo capacity inside the drills, this with having 2 large containers on it. This thing holds like 800k ore though, so I dumped the containers entirely, apart from the small one I use as a connector mount and for easy inventory access.

XkyRauh posted:

Has it ever been possible to Merge Block a small grid to a large grid? I tried it tonight and was unsuccessful, but there's a pretty good chance I was doing something wrong.

What you can do is create a rotor on your small ship merge blocks, grind off the stator, and then "dock" the rotor into a big stator you ground the rotor off. There's probably mods now that do this more elegantly, too. Unfortunately, this isn't the same as merging, the general multiplayer glitchyness still applies to rotors, sadly. :shobon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hah, I wondered if they're going to forget about it. My dedicated server has been nagging me about the license soon expiring since last month.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's a mod that applies leverage to your engines, making asymmetrical ships with that enabled work well is all kinds of fun :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=575893643

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Me and a friend started a new world and pasted a bunch of fuckoff giant ships to test out the new netcode. It works really really well. Docking to something with a docking port and pulling it now works as expected (rather than having to use merge blocks everywhere and risking multiple explosions anyway, because those were also glitchy), crashing gigantic poo poo can still cause clients to stutter or sometimes just lock up for seconds at a time, but the end result isn't just random poo poo anymore, you get nice crashes instead.

It's really quite playable now. Last things I have to thoroughly test are batteries and wheels, though I don't have too much hope for either, yet. e: oh and pistons/rotors, but I think those should work fine now, considering docking ports also work.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 21, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Is it safe to not be seated in a moving ship, or is walking around during flight still a terrible idea?

We were walking around inside a crashed slowly spinning ship flying through space at ~70m/s and the character view catching up with ship rotation was a bit "steppy", probably due to slow artificial gravity direction update rate? but other than that it was surprisingly glitch free to the point it felt bizarre. I'm sure if you make your ship fly at 300m/s or have it spin at 50rpm you'll still get thrown about, but you can also just not do that while walking around tbh :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to set a dedicated server so it auto restarts on updates? That'd be pretty rad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I want to play medieval, but it seems there's literally nothing at all to do in that game? I'd really like to build stupid minecraft sort of stuff and minecart rides, but with actual physics, but it doesn't seem the content is there at all? Castle building is really well done though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind there being no opfor, seeing how I disable or cripple them with settings even when they're as simple as in minecraft. They just get in the way of building stuff.

What I mean is, there appears to be no interesting blocks to play with. Minecraft and space engineers have all sorts of fun machinery you can build with just in the base game, and mods add a shitton more. ME appears to have neither.

• Locked thread