Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If rotors weren't prone to random explosions on multiplayer I'd say make whatever generator you use into a gigantic spinning monstrosity. Hell if its a ss13 map use them anyway.

Think the gravity drive from event horizon but with random thrusters firing off jets of flame into the air. Use a script so you can't use any reactors if the spinning ball of firey death stops moving. Emergency batteries and solar only without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
DX11 would be vastly improved if the bright points on interior walls were actual light sources.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Low visibility range and some form of nebulae skybox with random electrical storms? You'd have to setup some form of long range sensor to navigate with visible range limited to a few hundred metres while the orbiting sun could be replaced with a volatile plasma storm as a shifting light source.

This game can look immensely creepy with all the deep shadows in DX11. IF only you could get the rivet gun from Event Horizon and create a proper spinning jump drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlYqqAYUJc

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Doesn't Source2 have pre-beta level support for deformable voxel worlds? I seem to remember some tech presentation on it where a guy from Valve got up on stage and said something along the lines of "Hey so all these builder games are cool so I decided to add this in, it's not working yet and we have no titles planned for it but in a couple years we'll be able to support fully creation/destruction enabled worlds with random generation."

The only other thing I remember was a lot of people were pissed because the BBC ran a story that it was scheduled for 3pm on the 3rd of March in conference hall three at GDC which obviously meant it was going to be a bait and switch reveal of HL3 instead of the listed presentation on the future of physics and ingame destruction.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I can't imagine a 32bit only cpu with the memory limitations working with Space Engineers, what OS are you on? Windows 8 and 10 don't care if your licence is for 32bit or 64bit and some people on Win7 successfully phoned up Microsoft to get a new key to switch from 32bit to 64bit though they'll try and sell you a new DVD. It's simple enough to backup and reformat too.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Are there any skyboxes that work with DX11? Preferably a nebula style one with reduced visibility and a moving plasma storm instead of a sun.

I'm trying to set up a server for some friends with a resource rich but hostile environment with quite a few mods so performance is important and I'd like to cut down the view distance without having horrible pop in effects.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There's always this if you want laser designated targeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB726vvwm20

It's not the stock turrets but you could probably launch an autopiloted gunboat out with a basic patrol script that will use sensors and laser designator turrets to engage targets.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Working fine here on 10 pro 64bit. You might want to try Ctrl-Shift-ESc to just bring up the task manager and check event logs to see what's happening before killing the process.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't Keen say they had to push planets back until after the multiplayer re-write because of performance and that's why the last two weeks have been bugfix/prep patches?

Also with the changes to heavy armour isn't it now viable to make a single layer of heavy blocks with ablative blast door panels or angled ribbing for capital ships? Think the wings of a tie fighter but tighter and larger to cover stuff like reactors.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone else having problems with scrap metal? tried putting it into a refinery, arc reactor and assembler. None of them will take it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Today's patch "fixed" it back into being a one way mirror on DX11 but added modding hooks to make two way windows. I think...

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone else seen Video Sage's livestream on Youtube? It's quite something watching a guy in a tophat with that beard play Space Engineers while impersonating Mickey Mouse and ranting about racist grandparents.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah, loaded up an old map after the patch and saw three pirate bases within 17km with plenty of red blips heading right for my undefended mining colony. I noped the gently caress out, ran straight into another pirate base with a jury rigged ramming ship and started taking it over bit by bit.

Then decided to design myself a fighter in creative and left pirates on for the new map. They showed up after 20 minutes and blew the gently caress out of my half built ship. Including all the copy/pasted backups I scattered around.

I hope someone makes a large drone carrier for the new pirates soon as they make things a fuckload of fun in the most terrifying way.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There's a check box called "avoid collisions" on the remote block's control panel.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just take one of the oxygen bottles out of the generator built into the respawn ship. When your suit O2 drops to <30% it'll refill from the bottle. Though it does seem this patch is draining oxy/energy really fast.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
My loose understanding is there's a lot of different API's involved with games on Steam, many of them allow plugging into the workshop and trying to sync up mods with potential updates. The default for some of them is to redownload parts of a mod even if it hasn't been updated which Space Engineers seems to do. It's a minor issue and low priority to fix compared with things their developers are actively thinking about. Especially when Valve might update the API and fix the problem themselves which would result in Keen having to rework the same bit of code twice for a minor issue.

Speaking of mods, are there any that allow the opaque side of glass to work as a solar panel? Or smaller solar panels to fit in with the angled glass panes? I'd love to make something similar to the Auroras but with minimal rotors and pistons. Airtight hanger doors with solar panels embedded into them would be awesome too. Even if the energy provided was considerably less than the stock panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDh2e7BpLWE

Nevermind I found XPAR elegant solar and ShaoCorp's Solar Panels which seem to fit my needs apart from the hanger doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXuFFKZUqVA

Verizian fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I thought the official name for the new thrusters was atmospheric engines? If so it'd make a lot more sense to keep oxygen tanks just holding oxygen and subclass in another type of tank for fuel. They may have had to change the base oxygen tank to allow that and it simply broke a bunch of surrounding code.

Oh god I'm getting KSP flashbacks, trying to balance multi-stage rockets so you don't end up with a nose heavy fuel tank that suddenly decides to pivot just behind the cockpit and flip round.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I have that problem, copied the ship and it still won't move but the autopilot notice vanished. Unfortunately I only noticed it after cleaning up the blueprint for it so I lost all earlier stages.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So do hydrogen tanks explode well? Wondering which would be better for anti-capital missiles, hydrogen engines or a 30% charged battery with the old ion drives.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Watching the stream as he bounces over those green hills I can't help but wish they'd add power skis and tribes style momentum weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbhxf6M1Vo

Got this from the stream chat, thank gently caress it wasn't goatse.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 23, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wasn't water confirmed to be "just ice for now" in the follow-ups to the big livestream? So yeah you could easily land a small miner and fill up with a fuckload of it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One thing you could try with mods is a multi-stage missile using a solid core of large block warheads, a rear propulsion section and a small block cage made from heavy armour and blast door "rods". Use this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516770964&searchtext=small+to+large+grid+connector as it has a few glitches that are often favourable when creating warheads. The small blocks attached often phase through on collisions and only update on the following physics tick if the large blocks impact first. Something to do with forcing the game to merge small and large blocks into a single grid so they don't collide with each other. Does mean you could create the opposite with a central rod made from large blocks, punch it into a ship and have the attached small warheads detonate inside after penetration.

Can also be used to help merge block small ships onto a station or large ship carrier

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
No but when they can simply pass through the armour for half a second, exploding inside a block, they tend to do a lot more.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Mortvert posted:

I've been wondering - what'll happen if you drill into core of the planet? Will you start floating in middle or something? I'm curious as hell but currently, I can't play due to crappy hardware. Would any of you brave souls take a hit when the planets come out and check what happens when (if) you manage to get to the core?

Edit:
Dear god, is there a way to get rid of this horrid bonzi AV? (aside from buying myself a avatar and a title)

Even if you have 32GB+ of Ram and 12GB of Vram you probably won't even make it to the core of a moon without the game client crashing. Forget planet cores for now, Maybe with an Nvidia Pascal GPU with 16GB HBM2 and a theoretical Intel Cannonlake i7 with 96GB HBM2 on die.

Planets and Moons are smaller than real life ones but they're still loving big.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
While loading a planets map my i5 2500k CPU clocked at 4.6Ghz will sit at 30% usage on all cores as Space Engineers gobbles up close to 7GB of ram. Then it'll spike to 100%, the loading cog will freeze for a minute then continue at 99% as the map finally loads. More mods results in a dramatically slower load time.

How does the dedicated server handle it when it's limited to a single thread?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=457957428

Gravel Resource Extractor. Turn stone into gravel then extract trace elements from it using a moderately expensive machine. Not 100% balanced but for every 1000 gravel you feed into the machine you get back.

• 41 Iron
  • 18 Silicon
  • 17 Nickel
  • 12 Cobalt
  • 5.5 Magnesium
  • 4 Silver
  • 2 Gold
  • 0.4 Platinum
  • 0.1 Uranium

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can also make modded planets and add them to existing maps in creative mode like asteroids. I hope someone comes up with a hollow earth planet or dwarf gas giant. Max size atmosphere that's always hazy, tiny core of uranium, gold and iron with massive amounts of gravity as you descend through layers of cloud.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So with a bit more testing, it turns out my Mk.3 Kestrel shuttle will actually fly just fine on its Industrial Thrusters up past an altitude of 10km (around 0.8G gravity). I think I can live with using Hydrogen thrusters as suborbital boosters for getting it up past 7km where the atmospheric thrusters cut out, and I suspect it could actually fly up on a shallow angle spaceplane-esque without brute-forcing it with the hydrogen thruster as a booster :toot:.

It also flies just fine on the Atmosphere and Industrial Thrusters once down over the planet, and will happily hover stationary in the air.

It just does not want to lift vertically though :sigh:. I still hold that it's a bug and atmospheric thrusters aren't pumping as much thrust as they say they are.

Math with atmospheric thrusters is broken from the given values. Especially for the Large Block small atmo-thrusters. Only use the big ones for lift if you want to fight gravity with any success. They are adequate for basic manoeuvring thrusters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNByN7iklM

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That's why I love that Gravel extractor mod linked a couple times in the past five pages. Build up a small power surplus then process Stone > Gravel > trace amounts of everything else. Eventually you get enough uranium out of it for it to be self sustaining as long as you keep hauling cargo containers full of stone and building enough large reactors.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I think that's why they patched in the ability to place blocks from the construction cockpit. Can anyone recommend a good blueprint for atmospheric construction craft?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
But asteroids don't have gravity?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Moddington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Tsvrt40Ss

When I saw the video title, I was really hoping that they meant that processing stone would now give trace amounts of all mineral types, but alas.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=457957428

Can we put this mod in the OP? It solves a lot of problems. Unless you max out efficiency in world settings then use multiple, upgraded refineries creating fucktons of gravel. then you very quickly gain more power from uranium than you put into grinding down the stone.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

McGiggins posted:

A sound block on something like that should play really up beat k-pop, or death metal k-pop.

Something really off so you can really get that Insane AI drone feel going.

*Whistles merrily whilst cutting up the crew*

It should play Tom Waits at deafening volume with a picture of him on an LCD screen singing into the megaphone. Equip it with a grinder too for extra terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Multiplayer code is being re-written heavily in the future because current servers have problems with more than 4 players and you have random physics explosions beyond infinite power from connecting voxel grids with rotors, landing gear, and sometimes connectors.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Ropes Cables in Space Engineers would be awesome. Especially if they transmit power and signals.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Pretty sure the problem with synced simspeeds is that the dedicated server is limited to a single core and simspeed is heavily reliant on CPU power. Want to cap clients to the server's simspeed? Hope you enjoy slow motion!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
He said he changed the words due to space issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZveoBfiww

Which means somebody just has to think bigger and make a full scale MegaMaid complete with rotors, pistons and hinges for the transformation sequence.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't they fix batteries not charging for stations? Landed on a planet, merge blocked my lander onto a station half buried in the ground and suddenly batteries can only discharge.

On another note, is there still a steam group for goons playing this? I asked last year but the admins for that group are never online at the same time as me. My name on Steam is the same as here.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Bhodi posted:

I hope they overhaul the UI, survival and progression stuff. It's why I haven't gotten into the game after owning it for two years. I keep wanting minecraft++ and end up with, as you say, somewhat buggy space legos. The one time I tried to play in survival it was grueling just trying to get a small miner going.

If there was more automation and flexible construction, it might be worth it. As it stands today, survival isn't really fun at all.

Automation is doable if you know C# or install that shorthand scripting mod that uses basic pseudo code. You can even assign drones to follow you or a target around in different formations though the exact methodology is way over my head.

Current patch priority is to slowly replace bits while completely re-writing the netcode for multiplayer. Then there was a blog about some crazy impossible AI project for the game but it would be a lot more reasonable to assume basic fleet AI is coming at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just spotted this on the workshop. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655922051

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQnIa_u_Ng

• Locked thread