Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Skate 3 is the third installment of the Skate franchise, released in 2010 to generally favorable reviews. In this game, you play as a skater who is trying to build an empire. Throughout the game, you do photoshoots, videos, and challenges which translate into board sales. When you’ve sold over a million boards, you’ve won.

In addition to the career mode, the game includes several other play modes, including The Hall of Meat (injury contest), free skate, course building, and online modes.

This game has become increasingly popular in the last few years largely due to the fact that it is irreparably broken. Glitches abound in this game. Even during the first gameplay video, we accidently shoot a guy on a bench into space. That being said, you can find a ton of LPers on YouTube playing this just for the glitches. And honestly, it’s kind of worth it.

Let’s “Play” This “Game”

I’m going to be playing the PS3 version with my fiancée Amy. For the first time ever, we’re going to try to play through career mode. We’ve played the game before, but never left free skate mode. In our experience, this game is really stupid. But also really fun.

To begin with, we have to name our crew and create our main character. The first video we’ve posted has character creation in it, so if you’re not into that, it’s easy to skip it. The character we’ve made is a version of the one we play with in free skate, called The Pooj. He’s a balding guy with tattoos of pandas peeking out from his short-shorts. His (and our) team is proudly named rear end Pandas.

As we go through the game, we get to name and create new characters. If you’ve got any suggestions, we’re all ears. Nothing is too weird or stupid for our game.

Episode List

Part 0: Canadian Bacon (Intro) (Note: This first episode consists entirely of cutscenes and character creation. We wouldn't be offended if you chose to skip to the next one.)
Part 1: Yapple Dapple!
Part 2: The Bad News Pooj
Bonus #1: Hugh Mann's Day Out
Part 3: I Get What I Deserve
Part 4: A Fart Of A Man
Part 5: Backstreet Tail, All Right
Bonus #2: I'm Hunting For Skaters
Part 6: Grinding A Dozer
Part 7: MIKE
Part 8: Quit Being A Trash Game
Bonus #3: Skate 2
Part 9: That Was Terrible and I Wasted Everyone's Time
Part 10: Eating poo poo On A Boat (FINALE)

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
All hail The Pooj. :worship:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Please re-enact my friend and I's character, a tiny bodied spindly limbed giant headed bug eyed alien looking fellow named Hugh Mann who is not at all an alien in a human costume.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think The Pooj needs long, flowing hair from his power dount, but I don't think the game has an 'aging hippie' haircut.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

Please re-enact my friend and I's character, a tiny bodied spindly limbed giant headed bug eyed alien looking fellow named Hugh Mann who is not at all an alien in a human costume.

Your wish is our command. :D Hugh Mann sounds like a guy I'd want to hang out with!

Echophonic posted:

I think The Pooj needs long, flowing hair from his power dount, but I don't think the game has an 'aging hippie' haircut.

Ha, we'll check to see if we can make something happen. Maybe we can move one of his tattoos to make it look like hair.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Y'all really need to turn subtitles on and crank game volume just a hair, if this game gets half as dumb with dialogue as "Yapple Dapple" then it sucks not being able to hear or distinguish it

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pedrovay2003 posted:

Your wish is our command. :D Hugh Mann sounds like a guy I'd want to hang out with!

Ha, we'll check to see if we can make something happen. Maybe we can move one of his tattoos to make it look like hair.

As long as the rear end pandas stay.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

death .cab for qt posted:

Y'all really need to turn subtitles on and crank game volume just a hair, if this game gets half as dumb with dialogue as "Yapple Dapple" then it sucks not being able to hear or distinguish it

Yeah, we had a small issue with our first recording session. We think we have that worked out for the next video.

Echophonic posted:

As long as the rear end pandas stay.

rear end Pandas 4 lyfe! :rock:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

This is the weirdest episode of Jackass I ever saw.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You've got Charlie's creepy uncle from It's Always Sunny in there, so I say we need one of the McPoyle brothers ASAP.

ThePsychoGamer
Dec 5, 2013
Well sice you've proven that Power Rangers exist in the skate universe, and one has been known to use his teammates as skateboards, I think it's only right that you recruit a red ranger.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Neat, I want to get a copy of this game now.

Also, here's your Yapple Dapple.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is ready! Some magical stuff happened in this episode, and we end by gaining another crew member! Give us your ideas and we'll see what we can do, but I do believe I see a Power Ranger in the near future.

xoFcitcrA posted:

Neat, I want to get a copy of this game now.

Also, here's your Yapple Dapple.

Ah, interesting. I actually watched a ton of I Dream of Jeannie reruns when I was younger, but I didn't know there was a cartoon based on it. Thanks for the link!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You should put the HD shot of your crew from around 27:30 in the OP.
And make more of those. Take your team for team races every time you get and edit a new member.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

One skater should be Mighty Maximus, who is designed by maxing out every possible slider.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How about a representative from The Calling? I bet Makoto has covered some sick skateboarding stories. Maybe he can kickflip over a cell phone ghost.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
We also need the greatest president of the United States in our team:
President William Henry Harrison

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy crap, I love all of this.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
So, we did a special video for this episode starring our first custom character, Hugh Mann! We wanted to do something like this since Skate 3 doesn't let you save your custom characters permanently; once we start making new ones, we'll have to overwrite the old ones, which kind of sucks. We wanted Mr. Mann to have his moment, so here it is!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It... it's beautiful :allears:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You really shouldn't call it a bonus update. That implies that people don't need to watch it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
This is a glorious trainwreck of a game and I'm proud to have contributed to its LP in some small way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

This is a glorious trainwreck of a game and I'm proud to have contributed to its LP in some small way.

It's funny, each game in the series lost a little charm and polish. I absolutely loved the first game, enjoyed the second and barely played this one. My biggest problem with this game wasn't the glitches but the world design. For some reason this game's environment seemed cheap and poorly thought out.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

It's funny, each game in the series lost a little charm and polish. I absolutely loved the first game, enjoyed the second and barely played this one. My biggest problem with this game wasn't the glitches but the world design. For some reason this game's environment seemed cheap and poorly thought out.

To be honest, I actually agree with this. My personal favorite one is Skate 2, probably because that's the one that I really spent a lot of time with when my friend and I figured out how broken it was. Amy's biggest issue with Skate 3 is how none of the areas seem to be connected, and teleporting to some of them is required if you want to see them. The game is still good, and it's the first one we're playing legitimately, but yeah, I can see where you're coming from. We jumped into Skate 3 because we really haven't seen much of it, so it's a fresh experience for both of us, and it hasn't disappointed yet, in my opinion.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 13, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, uh. You move faster on hills by crouching, not pushing or luging. Start doing an Ollie by crouching, don't jump. You'll move faster when moving downhill.

Also, you get more points with more variation in a short time. You score poo poo for points if you only do handplants and shove-its in the same area. You have to throw in some grinds, manuals, and grab tricks to score a bunch of points.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Skate
board
ing
!!!

I'd like to see a luchador on your team of elite rear end pandas. If a lucha mask (or equivalent) isn't available, I guess a regular pro wrestler would be fine.

Edit:
I feel like this thread will have a ton of gifs by the end.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 14, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This game is so bad that when I tried making a gif of the wobbling basketball thing my computer crashed.

Actually, it's because my computer is a piece of crap. :negative:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think the worst part of Skate 3 is just how small it is compared to Skate 2. In 2 you had one huge map, but in 3 you have 3 separate areas that don't even add up to the same size as 2's map. I think in 2 you could actually get from the dam at the very top of the map to all the way to the very bottom of the map without pushing at all just from rolling downhill.

But drat, I never realized just how easy it is to break this game. I guess I never really tried though.

So, uh. You move faster on hills by crouching, not pushing or luging. Start doing an Ollie by crouching, don't jump. You'll move faster when moving downhill.

I think you go just as fast when luging as you do when crouching, it's just you have to wait to stand up before being able to ollie. Also I think holding the 'grab board' buttons works just as well for crouching as doing the ollie crouch, only you can steer better because you aren't holding a stick back the entire time.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Also, you get more points with more variation in a short time. You score poo poo for points if you only do handplants and shove-its in the same area. You have to throw in some grinds, manuals, and grab tricks to score a bunch of points.

Thanks for the tip, it'll come in handy when we're doing more challenges. That first one took FOREVER.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Skate
board
ing
!!!

I'd like to see a luchador on your team of elite rear end pandas. If a lucha mask (or equivalent) isn't available, I guess a regular pro wrestler would be fine.

Edit:
I feel like this thread will have a ton of gifs by the end.

Everything I'm looking at right now is incredible.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I also missed an important bit on that last tip, you get bonus combo stuff for doing crazy rotations and jumping gaps and all that jazz. You can see it happen when you drop off that huge steep-inclined sculpture and land. You immediately got a 1.5x multiplier just for a big jump.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is ready for your viewing pleasure/dismay! This is a pretty long one, since we do a ton of stuff, but it's all worth it, we promise!

Also, thanks for the scoring tips. I have a feeling we'll need those later on in the game, since we're still a lot better at glitching than actually playing anything. Speaking of which, there's a pretty good glitch moment in this episode.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I can only hope you all continue to pass challenges by failing your way to victory :allears:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Camel Pimp posted:

I can only hope you all continue to pass challenges by failing your way to victory :allears:

Otherwise known as 'Poojing it'.

That was some funky fresh kickflippage.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think I can say that, if there's any single person our team DESERVES at this time, it'd be Justin Bieber.

Please make Justin Bieber.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy poo poo, crouching and luging drastically changed your speed against DLX :stare:

E: i want to make this EXTREMELY APPARENT for the future: you ALWAYS move faster on a downslope if you crouch instead of push-forward. Kicking forward should only be used on level-or-higher-inclined surfaces. If you are moving slightly downhill, DO NOT KICK. CROUCH. When you come down from an air or gap on a vert, like a bowl or half pipe, &c, just crouch to maintain speed and then ollie at the lip of the bowl/ramp/pipe. You will jump so high, rotate for max points, and get a huge buttery smooth multiplier for BONUS POINTS

E2: basically just imagine every downslope to be the first, downward half of a U-Shape which ramps up at the end. You will get more points for maximizing momentum on the downslope, and slingshot hella far on the incline ramp

E3: loving NIER IS BACK HELL YEAH

E4: "We just unlocked Andrew Reynolds"
"I don't know who that is"
aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

E5: whoever picks music for the interludes, you are amazing, and you pick the best music. Literally marry my drunk LP post editing rear end. I await you at The Bean in Chicago

bawk fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 19, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The underground helicopter impersonation half way through is amazing.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I lost my poo poo when you just portal'd out of the world at the Brewery.

I think your next skater should look like the most homeless person possible.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
We also need a Jojo. I recommend Polnareff:

EDIT: Also our team is missing it's wild card. Make the craziest looking motherfucker you possible can with the character creator.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The game's very easy to break but it's also pretty stable unless you're actually trying to cause glitches. Like I've played Skate 3 for hundreds of hours but only ever ran into a couple of glitches. Then I watched helixsnake's guides on how to break the game and next thing I knew I was flying through the sky at 200 km/h. It's like an extra hidden mechanic in the best skating game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't know, every time I've played any of the Skate games, I was running into (at least) visual glitches all the time. I think they tried to make the ragdoll stuff so advanced that it all ends up looking like some kind of horror dimension.

The Casualty posted:

I lost my poo poo when you just portal'd out of the world at the Brewery.

I think your next skater should look like the most homeless person possible.

So, we have a request for Justin Bieber, and we have a request for a homeless person. I think I know how this is going to end.

I like the idea of trying to swing the JoJo character, too. I wish this game had anime hair selections.

• Locked thread