Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
It's time for part 4! No new characters in this episode just yet; we're trying to level up so we can have even more abominations of nature with us at all times. We're close, and soon, we'll have a full team!

There are a bunch of Death Races in this episode, and we end it with a good ol' Hall of Meat run. We're hoping to put more custom characters together next time, so stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

If I may make a suggestion for a new skater, howsabout 10th century Japanese poet Izumi Shikibu? Class this poo poo up.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Those death races look brutal. Is there a trick to pushing that increases speed or acceleration? Seems like the CPU is able to outpower you on the straights and carry more speed into downhills, which allows them to cross the gaps that you kept crashing on.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Those death races look brutal. Is there a trick to pushing that increases speed or acceleration? Seems like the CPU is able to outpower you on the straights and carry more speed into downhills, which allows them to cross the gaps that you kept crashing on.

Or it could be the oldest racing trick in the book. Good ol' rubber-banding.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

RickVoid posted:

Or it could be the oldest racing trick in the book. Good ol' rubber-banding.

Seeing how this game works, you're probably right. But I still wonder if there's a timing thing involved on the player's end.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Casualty posted:

Seeing how this game works, you're probably right. But I still wonder if there's a timing thing involved on the player's end.

Sort of, yeah. I mentioned a lot that you need to crouch on downward slopes, but kicking your board on flat surfaces is still better at building and maintaining speed. Only on flat surfaces, though.

That, combine with a slight rubberbanding AI. For later races in Skate 2, it was also really important to put together a "line" as well. It's one thing to make it through all the gates and always crouch on downslopes, it's another to plot the shortest distance possible while also maximizing time spent accelerating on downslopes and minimizing air time

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The fall though the floor trick is called Christ Air? :wtc:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

SelenicMartian posted:

The fall though the floor trick is called Christ Air? :wtc:

Well, normally you get stuck underground for 3 days, but The Pooj isn't a very good skater.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
If we're doing suggestions, I'm eager to see a character named Miracle Whip. She would rebel against Mayo conformity with Tangy flips and tricks that go well on salads and sandwiches.

I just love how this game's sponsorship manifests itself. The dialogue that instructs you to LUBE THAT SUCKER UP WITH SOME OF THAT WHIPPY STUFF. The billboards that inform you of how MAYO IS FOR INLINE SKATERS. It's art.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

This was right around the time Miracle Whip got in a weird feud with Stephen Colbert over their "unique" marketing strategies involving people dancing at Miracle Whip themed parties and insinuating that people who preferred mayo were supporting the man while cool, hip young people preferred their product. I really don't think the people who were doing these ad campaigns realized that they were promoting faux-mayo until they were already finished writing all their hip new catchphrases.

It absolutely doesn't surprise me that they would shell out for in game advertising, but it's still pretty bizarre to see such heavy marketing for fake mayonnaise in a skateboarding game, instead of things like shoes or energy drinks.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is ready to go, with Justin Bieber joining the crew! Truly, these are the best times to be alive. And yeah, I agree with everyone posting about how weird it is to see Miracle Whip all over the place. It makes me hungry.

Interestingly, YouTube isn't showing that the video is 60fps for this one. The uploaded original was 59.95fps, so that may have been enough to trick YouTube, so our apologies there.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I think that angry business man needs a spot in the roster. He's obviously got some mad skillz.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Pyroi posted:

I think that angry business man needs a spot in the roster. He's obviously got some mad skillz.

Second, but only if his business is selling Miracle Whip.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Actually, real shadows are all tinted kind of blue, because the sky glows blue when the sun's out. Same reason shadows are kind of dark instead of being completely black.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I am sick and therefore miserable but this video cheered me up immensely. Thanks for the laughs!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Does the game give you an option to redo beaten challenges, so that you could put up huge billboards with benches and/or knocked out people, or Pooj punching businessmen?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
We're editing another bonus video (i.e., Amy is editing another bonus video), so our custom characters will get some more screen time pretty soon here. The Justin Bieber segment is especially screwed up at one point.

biosterous posted:

I am sick and therefore miserable but this video cheered me up immensely. Thanks for the laughs!

This made me tear up a little bit. :D

SelenicMartian posted:

Does the game give you an option to redo beaten challenges, so that you could put up huge billboards with benches and/or knocked out people, or Pooj punching businessmen?

Unfortunately, no, I don't think you can redo challenged. I think once you finish all the challenges, it turns into one giant free-roaming world (which is what it basically is now). I could be wrong, but I don't see any option to redo anything.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 5, 2015

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just found this LP and loving it. I like how simple it is: a couple happily fooling around in a game that was designed to be fooled around with and not taken seriously. The glitches and music is just icing on the cake.

I played both Skate 2, but my disc was scratched at some point so I never got far it. The third game was out by then so I just got that and never looked back - am I missing out?

PS - I haven't seen all the videos yet, but I remember my first reaction meeting Deer Man of the Dark Woods and wondering, "This can't be real." He is.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Just found this LP and loving it. I like how simple it is: a couple happily fooling around in a game that was designed to be fooled around with and not taken seriously. The glitches and music is just icing on the cake.

I played both Skate 2, but my disc was scratched at some point so I never got far it. The third game was out by then so I just got that and never looked back - am I missing out?

PS - I haven't seen all the videos yet, but I remember my first reaction meeting Deer Man of the Dark Woods and wondering, "This can't be real." He is.

Aw, thanks for the kind words! :D As far as Skate 2 goes, I personally believe it has just as much nonsense charm as the third one does. There are actually quite a few things it has over the third one, too, such as NPCs that don't just disappear after falling, areas that are all connected for better exploration, and the glitches are really, REALLY creepy with what the characters' bodies do.

The big difference to me is that Skate 2 has dedicated competitive modes that are completely absent from Skate 3. Hall of Meat, HORSE, and other modes were all playable by up to four players in Skate 2, and everything is a one-and-done single-player mode in Skate 3. In fact, Skate 3 doesn't even have a main menu; it just puts you right into the game where it last auto-saved. On the complete opposite side of the coin, though, is that Skate 2 doesn't have any kind of item placement system, whereas you can drop literally anything anywhere in Skate 3.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 5, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey, it's another bonus episode! More shenanigans await those interested enough in this video, including an inexplicable glitch at the end, just for you!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I'll to remember to make some dumb gifs from this LP.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Like Monkey, Like Dinner: Let's Play Skate 3

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
"Like monkey, like dinner," man I might have to start using that.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up, complete with poop jokes from near-30-year-olds! I've also linked to an old video of Skate 2 that I uploaded to my other YouTube channel that we mention in the video, so you can see just how broken the physics were in the second game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The Skate 3 experience.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

SelenicMartian posted:

The Skate 3 experience.

The worst part is he struck the railing right on its corner, took it right to the pooj :gonk:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, he really screwed the pooj on that landing.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just to let everyone know, the next episode is coming in a bit here. It's been a busy week, so we're sorry for being a little late. You should hear Amy editing in the background right now; she gets really giddy and giggly when she's re-watching the videos.

I love all the different ways of using the word "pooj," by the way. My goal is to get this into the dictionary.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 23, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 7 is officially ready! Once again, it looks like YouTube didn't make it 60fps, so here's hoping it automatically fixes itself in a little while.

We're actually getting really close to the end of the game, which is a little bittersweet. We've had WAY more fun doing this than we originally thought we would, and I'm glad you guys have enjoyed it, as well. But enough of the mushy stuff, we still have a couple more episodes to go!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Yeah there isn't much to Skate 3 in terms of unique content, most of the game's playtime is exploring, making your own skate park and screwing around with the most fun physics engine in gaming.

I was looking for a picture of Mike Carroll and apparently the dude looks like he could be Pooj's dad.

:staredog:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I would like a screw-around video where Max Ranger gets revenge for getting jump kicked by jump kicking random skaters, but being Max Ranger means no other skaters spawning :(

(unless... the reason they don't spawn is because he already got them :ohdear:)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Aw man, why do we have such an abysmal female viewership percentage? While we ponder that, let's add to our roster of ridiculous, unfathomable characters the most absurd idea of all: A business-minded, professional... woman?! *record scratch*

I'm kidding, of course, just thought the juxtaposition of both these things coming up in such quick succession was funny. Actually, it seems pretty hard to get anything near equality on the gender breakdown with video game videos. My channel peaked at 25 percent, but analytics showed that it was almost all women over 65 living in the UK, which makes me think they were just kids who lied when they opened their YouTube accounts. I currently fluctuate between four and seven percent female viewership because I keep LPing hyperviolent games, so shame on me really.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Your user pane is like a billboard, right?

Go team rear end Pandas

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I refuse to believe that Mike Carroll looking like Pooj is a coincidence. That was fate.

Anyway, it looks like everything is in order here, I'll just be HOLY poo poo I'M POOJ NOW. I didn't even realize what was going on until I was having a hard time realizing where my own posts were. Whoever did that, thank you so much! I never thought I'd be so excited to actually be Pooj!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pedrovay2003 posted:

I refuse to believe that Mike Carroll looking like Pooj is a coincidence. That was fate.

Anyway, it looks like everything is in order here, I'll just be HOLY poo poo I'M POOJ NOW. I didn't even realize what was going on until I was having a hard time realizing where my own posts were. Whoever did that, thank you so much! I never thought I'd be so excited to actually be Pooj!

Glad you like it! I cracked up at the 'quality' bit and had to do something with it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
this LP is good and I am enjoying it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey, everyone! We're working on getting the new video up; sorry it's a bit late this time. I didn't want to make Amy edit on her birthday yesterday. :P We'll be up here soon!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
HOLY CRAP, PART 8 IS UP! Sorry this one took a while, everyone; it's been a long week or so. I hope you're still around and enjoying the series, and we'll be back after our wedding this weekend. Woo, the home stretch!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You've got a game about skateboarding, which has its own convoluted language and terminology. Being played by someone who came up with the word "Pooj". And even with those expectations, the dialogue and text the game gives you is just so dumb and insane. Sea chickens and tuna nuggets isn't the most inexplicable thing we've heard yet, but it's definitely up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You're going to LP on your honeypooj?

• Locked thread