Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sporkie posted:

Ohhh... In retrospect, that makes perfect sense. Never noticed the groupings before really, so now I feel kinda dumb. Thanks a bunch!

Was thinking of restarting my character with a different trait after my latest start with weapon master, too many of the unarmed styles look cool, heh. Just wasn't sure which trait to aim for instead. Still not convinced Prodigy is actually a good thing after my last attempt with it.

I'd lean towards Master of Unarmed Combat if you're using a style that has Combo tags on its moves or one of the defensive stat ones if not.

Does anyone know if there's a reliable spot to get better armor than one of the 150 ones in year 2? I hear you can pull them from random chests, but I haven't seen anything other than accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
I restarted with a Smart, Sentimental, Malevolent character. I'm not sure I'm a fan of either weapon master or unarmed, just because then I feel kind of limited, instead of just grabbing what looks cool at the time, which was the problem I had with weapon master, and I'm guessing I'd have the same feelings with unarmed. It's just me and fighting between my min-max urges and just playing the drat game and doing whatever stupidly sounds fun at the time, you know?

Also, I don't know if this is totally true, but I do think I hurt one of my earlier characters taking both industrious and martial arts prodigy at the start. Maybe I just had a really bad starting hp and didn't notice at the time, but the same start by the time I got to Luoyang I wasn't even bumping 1800hp, and that's including taking the hp pill at the start and maxing out my internal. Yet, all of my Smart charcters without it consistantly hit around 2500+ hp for Luoyang. I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of flat 'gain' to training internals, so even tho I'm only getting 800-1000xp a train instead of twice that, I'm still gaining hp/energy at a flat rate per train. Dunno. Seems odd.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
How do you unlock training in poison? I've beaten the game once, did as much strolling as I could manage and maxed my affection for the poison lady, but she never showed up again.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Greaseman posted:

How do you unlock training in poison? I've beaten the game once, did as much strolling as I could manage and maxed my affection for the poison lady, but she never showed up again.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you might need to meet with the dude who poisons you at the start of the game? I think? Maybe?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

You can meet him if you stroll in the forest at some point early in year 2 and he'll invite you to meet him again in october or so but I haven't gotten that far to say if he teaches poison moves or not.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Scrublord Prime posted:

You can meet him if you stroll in the forest at some point early in year 2 and he'll invite you to meet him again in october or so but I haven't gotten that far to say if he teaches poison moves or not.
I met him, but I think my poison isn't high enough to qualify. Not sure if he will teach me if I passed, but I assume he will since he does in the original game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nyaa posted:

I met him, but I think my poison isn't high enough to qualify. Not sure if he will teach me if I passed, but I assume he will since he does in the original game.

Only way to qualify is to visit with poison girl enough to finish her event, it's like 6 visits or something and got my poison to high 80's. He offered to teach me but I never followed up, or couldn't. I don't know which. He did end up teaching me the second poison art way later in another event that referenced it, but I could never train poison.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I assumed that poison was the space in the production menu between smithing and cooking, but maybe not? Has anyone filled that or knows how to unlock it?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Best style I've found so far is one I got after mastering painting, caligraphy and I think a third skill I'm not sure of. The painter and the scholar turned up, we got into a fight, my character went aha! and I got a technique that has an aoe that makes you invincible, heals you and paralyses everyone, a healing attack that heals you and blind enemies and a combo stab attack.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How to Train Poison (the skill, not Poison Kung Fu)

1. In Year 2, Month 6, Week 1, you'll automatically trigger a cut-scene / event where you pick up a piece of food in the forest and eat it. It turns out that the food had been poisoned by 怪医少女 (Strange Young Lady Doctor) and left for an animal to eat so she can test her poison, and she carries you back to her cottage to treat you after you collapse from the poison.

2. Thereafter, her cottage is added as a new option in the Carefree Valley section. You have to visit her six / seven times (I can't recall the exact figure) to completely cure the poison, and you have to do that before Year 2, Month 10. This gives you a total of 60 Poison skill.

3. After your final visit to her cottage, she will give you a “五毒赤焰功” (Five Venom Inferno Skill) manual before leaving for good. This is an inner chi manual and you have the option to train this inner chi in addition to the other inner chi skills you've picked up. Each time you train the Five Venom Inferno Skill, in addition to leveling up the Five Venom Inferno Skill skill itself, you also gain +4 to your Poison skill.

Hurm
Jul 21, 2015
I have to say, the translation bothers me more and more as I keep playing. I wasn't expecting anything stellar, of course, it being a user-driven one and all... but the minimum of quality control would've certainly been nice. Or, at the very least, ensuring it's actually all translated before release. I'm sure no one would really mind a later release if that was the cause. What we've got certainly beats being unable to play the game at all, but, well.

Though of all the aspects of it, it's not even the occasional 'bro' and 'pwned' that irk me as much as the fact the font gets hilariously small with longer bits of text... but at the same time, it's still just big enough in the Books menu to make actually reading an entire description of, say, a style totally impossible. Still, I would say the biggest concern given the quality of the translation is that it's not only highly unlikely to be improved, nor does it bode particularly well for possible DLC translations (if they happen at all, which seems less than certain).

On a more positive note, I haven't had a single major bug and only two or three crashes, and the game itself is amazing. It's a bit hard to strike the balance between faffing around with events and actual training to keep on/ahead of the curve, but after the initial massive failure of a run it's manageable. The 'running around and sidequesting' segments can certainly get hectic at times, between the time limits and lack of prior knowledge. But then I suppose that's just the nature of the game, partially dependant on using knowledge from prior playthroughs.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether it's even particularly viable to play a character with the (so translated) 'Smart' personality, considering the apparent emphasis on Basic/Internal training in the simulation part. I do recall it being called a newbie trap in the LP thread, but I honestly didn't expect it to be quite this much. Not that I've actually tested it, mind, as I'm unwilling to start a second playthrough before finishing the first. It's just an observation based on how much time I spend on getting those Internal Styles up.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I was told awhile ago that someone made s software that can open up the game script, so a proper fan translation is also viable.

I believe the first dlc is already included in the English version. Among many things, it increased the romanceble candidate to ten or eleven.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The quality of the translations gets worse as the game goes along. Sometimes straight up switching to Chinese.

I've had a few crashes and some frustrating experiences (like that rooftop you can run on in southern Chengdu), but otherwise enjoying this game so much I end up going to sleep at 2AM. Would Chinagame again. With a map, preferably.

e: From the bugs I've seen in the text, it's just HTML, so it's not that hard to fix.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I think I messed up my character's growth or somesuch. I just got to the point early in the game where you visit Luoyang (probably misspelled) with Ji and Yuexuan, and although I can't really die thanks to the combined effects of Internal Style regeneration and regeneration from the sword style's first attack, I just seem to do abysmal damage. It took me fifteen turns to beat up some stupid bear, and it also took practically forever to bully those four blowhards in town. How do you raise damage, exactly?

This game's really addicting though. I'd been waiting for it ever since I read JosehWongKS's beginnings of a LP for it, so I bought it on impulse last night and then suddenly it was 3 am.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

I think I messed up my character's growth or somesuch. I just got to the point early in the game where you visit Luoyang (probably misspelled) with Ji and Yuexuan, and although I can't really die thanks to the combined effects of Internal Style regeneration and regeneration from the sword style's first attack, I just seem to do abysmal damage. It took me fifteen turns to beat up some stupid bear, and it also took practically forever to bully those four blowhards in town. How do you raise damage, exactly?

This game's really addicting though. I'd been waiting for it ever since I read JosehWongKS's beginnings of a LP for it, so I bought it on impulse last night and then suddenly it was 3 am.

Martial Knowledge, the relevant fighting type (staff/sword/blade), the skill in the style itself (it levels as you use it, but you can raise it in sim too), attack power (raised by training internal/weapons/fights/etc)

Many styles also have a secondary skill that will improve it. The starting sword style is ehh, it'll be okay when you get it to level 10 but you should find a style that suits better, and a weapon to go with it. Note that you will actually deal less damage at first with a new style, but if you face an enemy who regens, and you can surtvive their damage you can train it with some patience.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 3, 2016

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

How to Train Poison (the skill, not Poison Kung Fu)

Ahh, that explains how my poison skill is nearly maxed out. The result prompts are way too easy to miss in this game. Thanks!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scrublord Prime posted:

Ahh, that explains how my poison skill is nearly maxed out. The result prompts are way too easy to miss in this game. Thanks!

Part of the problem is that Internal training, no matter which style, always says "Health, Energy, and other stats raised."

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Martial Knowledge, the relevant fighting type (staff/sword/blade), the skill in the style itself (it levels as you use it, but you can raise it in sim too), attack power (raised by training internal/weapons/fights/etc)

Many styles also have a secondary skill that will improve it. The starting sword style is ehh, it'll be okay when you get it to level 10 but you should find a style that suits better, and a weapon to go with it. Note that you will actually deal less damage at first with a new style, but if you face an enemy who regens, and you can surtvive their damage you can train it with some patience.

Maybe I should re-start with different talents? On my first creation I decided not to care about talents except for getting the one that doesn't lock you into good or evil choices, but I ended up with Smart/Sentimental and the latter feels somewhat underwhelming compared to large stat boosts or improved combo chances.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I think skill/training exp boost talent are worth it since it cuts down the time you spent training in sim mode, which mean more turns to train other stuff or events. I don't think there's a way to gain physical attribute outside of training and bonus from mini game. I used to exploit it from the ghost girl's medicine in the old game.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Training Flexibility, Toughness, and Internal Styles give you a flat bonus every instance.

Flexibility - 4 ATK
Toughness - 10 DEF
Internal Styles - HP, Energy, + assorted bonuses

So ideally, you want to maximize your opportunities to train those three stats. Hearing and Seeing don't offer stat bonuses per instance, so taking that talent is a good choice. Roll for sub-10 comprehension and save any books or the comprehension accessory for after maxing the above stats. Also, go for Smart to tank your mood when training basics.

Assuming you do nothing past training your basics, you have well over 100 training opportunities before you hit the end of Year 2. You almost certainly won't need all of them, giving you the opportunity to pursue plotlines like Celestial Melody or the Poison Doctor (especially important for the extra internal style) that set you up for whatever style you want.

You can definitely get through to that point just using Huangang/Xian Swordsmanship with the default style to out-tank everyone. With the Scarlet Pill, you should have decent damage as well.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Hm? Why do you want to roll low comprehension and tank your mood, exactly?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If the bonuses are flat and not retroactive, does that mean you want to start with those stats low?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Hm? Why do you want to roll low comprehension and tank your mood, exactly?

A high mood means you get fewer of the flat bonuses for training those, because you train them fewer times. Half the EXP gain on Flexibility means you get double the attack from flexibility in the end.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Welp, I was torn on whether or not to get this based on stories of incomprehensible translations and bugs, but now that I see the thread here I'll dive in with both feet and look forward to posting stories of strange kung fu wizardry.

Also, I was a big fan of reading the original LP in the Archive, Nyaa, so thanks for introducing me to this game.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

That's interesting. A balanced compensation to player that have a bad start with them netting more stats in the end and a choice between more sim turns or more stat for the pro.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ugh I had to restart the game at least five times yesterday. It's year 3 and I can't stroll around Wengyou Valley anymore cause the Celestial Melody encounter will just hang. Or after fighting Ji and winning the game just hangs. Sometimes. Really frustrating for an otherwise fun game.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I've had that problem, it seems that playing in windowed mode fixes that. But if that doesn't work for you, you change the language to simplified Chinese til you get past that scene, since that also works.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

This is a weird and fun game, but can anyone tell me how to make pellets? I'm at the point where my harvesting's maxed out, started raising medicine and the doctor's telling me to practice making pellets, but I can't find any interface as to where. I gathered it's the alchemy skill in the books, but that doesn't seem to help much.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

How does the strategy option that lets you summon a friend work? At first I thought I needed to max out my relationship with the NPC before I'd be allowed to summon them, but I still can't ever use it. Do I have to pass a point in the story, or unlock it somehow?

The translation seems to be getting worse by the hour, but to be honest I'm glad the game made it to Steam in kinda-comprehensible English (ignoring the instances of untranslated text and text that gets cut off for not fitting into its box); it's unique and addictive. My main complaint, as a fan of grid-based RPGs, is that you don't really get enough opportunities to fight, and those opportunities tend to be a bit too easy (often giving me an allied NPC on fights that my character could comfortably take on his own). I finally found a way to make use of Sentimental after some girl taught me how to fight with the beautiful power of music, and the style is pretty strong. There's a good 3-tile piercing linear attack that also buffs my critical rate by 30%, a small AoE heal that also buffs evasion to >50%, and a strong heal to top it off.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 4, 2016

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Perhaps a hamster posted:

This is a weird and fun game, but can anyone tell me how to make pellets? I'm at the point where my harvesting's maxed out, started raising medicine and the doctor's telling me to practice making pellets, but I can't find any interface as to where. I gathered it's the alchemy skill in the books, but that doesn't seem to help much.
It should be in the production tab as alchemy, near smithing iirc. The ingredients are listed in the alchemy tab in the books, although with their text cut off when its long.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Pellet is alchemy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is the bear fight supposed to have like a billion turns that completely skip your actions? Is it bugged or is this some lovely "you're not flexible/quick enough to have turns" thing?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Is the bear fight supposed to have like a billion turns that completely skip your actions? Is it bugged or is this some lovely "you're not flexible/quick enough to have turns" thing?

Huhn? Everyone always gets one turn, even if you get stasis'd your turn still comes up. Sounds like a bug. Some enemies can attack more than once if they have something that grants double/extrattack where their attacks will repeat after doing them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well I'm at an event fight and I can't make any attacks. It just keeps skipping my turns until either manually exit the game or just lose and reload. Of all the bugs I didn't think I'd find a you can't attack after the first turn one. :(

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

randomcommoner posted:

It should be in the production tab as alchemy, near smithing iirc. The ingredients are listed in the alchemy tab in the books, although with their text cut off when its long.
Aha, thought so! Thank you. Apparently the problem then is I haven't yet got any recipes.

I do like though that you can't ever run out of things to do in this game, even if you can't do/don't know how to do certain things yet, there's always something else.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid newbie question: Where do I get extra picks, bait and so on? I can't find the shop.

EDIT: Very stupid. The other brother, of course.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 5, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What kung fu style use Fan? Or do they stack with everything?

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid newbie question: Where do I get extra picks, bait and so on? I can't find the shop.
Usually the general store guy. It's the guy next to the smith in tutorial village, and general store in other city.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fans use short-handle, though I'm not sure what basic stats are supposed to go with it. I don't have a firm grasp of how all the numbers work together so far. I use the Fan moveset I got from The Scholar for it's range, knockback, and movement debuff and I can cheese anybody with poo poo movement or no ranged attacks.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Nyaa posted:

What kung fu style use Fan? Or do they stack with everything?

Usually the general store guy. It's the guy next to the smith in tutorial village, and general store in other city.

You can get Xian Fan techniques from the master, the flower blossom fan techniques from the calligrapher, another one after maxing out calligraphy/affection for the calligrapher, and apparently at least one more from the calligrapher/painter plot. The mastery stat is short handle.

Scrublord Prime posted:

Fans use short-handle, though I'm not sure what basic stats are supposed to go with it. I don't have a firm grasp of how all the numbers work together so far. I use the Fan moveset I got from The Scholar for it's range, knockback, and movement debuff and I can cheese anybody with poo poo movement or no ranged attacks.

I think it's either calligraphy or painting, depending on who you get it from. The basic fan style is really good between the blindness debuff, +action level, and the drain on its base attack. Super strong if you get lots of counters.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Awesome, i am going to beat the poo poo out of people with my premium chinese silk fan. :eng101:

• Locked thread