Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Tricky posted:

I think it's either calligraphy or painting, depending on who you get it from. The basic fan style is really good between the blindness debuff, +action level, and the drain on its base attack. Super strong if you get lots of counters.

Dangit, I'm awful at both of those :negative:

I'm gonna have to start taking screenshots notes to handle the pop quizes the masters give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
I have a stupid question. When you max Internal, can you still train internal skills? Or do I need to be aware of maxing out Internal and that's the max hp/energy and style I can get for the game?

Also, is there a specific bonus for getting an internal style to 10, or is the bonus pretty much just flat across the training no matter the level?

EDIT: Thanks a bunch for the answer. I figured it'd be something like that, but with how weird some bits of the game are I was curious, heh.

Sporkie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 6, 2016

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I got to the part with the guy who challenges you to do Chinese couplets with him in Luoyang and am sad because translating them to English means that the game makes no sense. The problem of course is that I have no idea how they would even begin to localize something like that, but I am curious to hear other peoples' thoughts on how something like that might be attempted.

It's a bit like Terranigma, where one boss fight uses a gimmick from a Japanese childrens' rhyme game that makes no sense unless you know how to play it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sporkie posted:

I have a stupid question. When you max Internal, can you still train internal skills? Or do I need to be aware of maxing out Internal and that's the max hp/energy and style I can get for the game?

Also, is there a specific bonus for getting an internal style to 10, or is the bonus pretty much just flat across the training no matter the level?

You can train Internal as long as you have a style that isn't at 10. The Internal stat itself is only relevant when it is used as part of the damage formula for a style. There's no specific bonus that I can see for maxing an internal style.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Sporkie posted:

It seemed that while I was using an internal style that accumulated stats overtime,the higher it's level was, the sooner it reached it's accumulation cap. Though I should probably do some actual testing for this, since I might have been imagining it.

Edit: After doing some messing around with the Art of Sun and Moon internal style, which accumulates Attack and Defense up to 400. I found that the amount that the buff caps at is affected by the internal style's level, which for this style is 40 per level.

About how fast it accumulates, the amount gained per turn definitely seems like it improves at higher levels. But in the end that amount seems kind of random, though with the couple times I checked it out with the style at level 6,7, and 10, it did hit the stat cap at about turn 13 for defense and turn 16 for attack, give or take 2 turns.

Alard fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 6, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, I just got my first ending -- the evil route. The final battle was a hell of a thing, but it was amusing to watch the combined heroic kung-fu masters of China fall one by one to a dude who plays music so hard it hurts and his band of lunatics. In retrospect, picking the easiest difficulty was probably a mistake -- everything felt too easy, even the final fight which seemed like it was stacked against me at first.

Speaking of routes, I took at peek at what you need to do to start the "true" route and holy mother of god that is ridiculous

Scrublord Prime posted:

Dangit, I'm awful at both of those :negative:

I'm gonna have to start taking screenshots notes to handle the pop quizes the masters give

Painting is extremely easy after you realize that, when you pick up a piece, you can see underneath it a faded image of the correct tile for that particular spot. As soon as I noticed that I went from failing like an idiot to acing them all. The internal style you get for it is pretty good, too.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

There's an internal style (Art of the Eastern Sky) for sale in the shop Year 1 Early November for 2000. It's so-so (6% health regen, 100% accuracy boost for allies) but it gives good stat gains for training.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Helio Studio is currently developing the sequel-"prequel of Tale of Wuxia" and another title that might be the sequel to Legend of Jin Yong.

Tale of Wuxia with modern graphic, YES PLEASE! :love:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
This game is going to be amazing in like a few months when someone crazy actually bothers to go in and actually translate things in a semi-meaningful way, because holy God are there a lot of fun bits held back by total incomprehension.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You know what's a fun experience? Jumping back from that chest at Huanshan. Just let go of the keyboard and enjoy the flying back and forth.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

This game is going to be amazing in like a few months when someone crazy actually bothers to go in and actually translate things in a semi-meaningful way, because holy God are there a lot of fun bits held back by total incomprehension.

Yeah the game seems to have been translated piecemeal by three different translators: the first is simply not very used to English, but tolerable because they write awkward English in an actually funny way. The second is pretty bad and likes to insert "dude", "bro" and "mate" inexplicably, and the third has apparently not studied English after scraping by ESL classes in high school. If only they'd spent a bit more hiring an editor who's familiar with the sort of mistakes that native Chinese speakers make, it would have been a lot better.

I don't really mind the first translator but man there are points where one of their colleagues couldn't write two words without making an extremely basic grammatical or typographical mistake.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

New patch from May 6th, not sure if posted yet:

quote:

Both Version
1. Fixed several crash issues occurred during player visiting main city.
2. Fixed an issue where player found themselves stuck during Poisonous Dragon Sect in the route of the Cult of TianLong
3. Fixed the incorrect camera action during Xiaoyao Valley in the route of the Cult of TianLong
4. The game will now detect player’s screen resolution and start the game in full screen mode when the player start the game for the first time.

Eng Version
1. Fixed issues where players found themselves stuck during events of Ren Jiannan and Fang Yunhua in Strategy Mode.
2. Fixed several untranslated texts of user interface.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah the game seems to have been translated piecemeal by three different translators: the first is simply not very used to English, but tolerable because they write awkward English in an actually funny way. The second is pretty bad and likes to insert "dude", "bro" and "mate" inexplicably, and the third has apparently not studied English after scraping by ESL classes in high school. If only they'd spent a bit more hiring an editor who's familiar with the sort of mistakes that native Chinese speakers make, it would have been a lot better.

I don't really mind the first translator but man there are points where one of their colleagues couldn't write two words without making an extremely basic grammatical or typographical mistake.

it was crowd-translated by multiple fans and after beating the game twice I am thinking there are way more than three since you get down to Google translate and also mangled misspelled Google translate as well as (very few) random points of perfectly fine English

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
What are the keyboard controls? C brings up the stat screen, but I can't figure out how to turn the camera.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

What are the keyboard controls? C brings up the stat screen, but I can't figure out how to turn the camera.

should be Q and E

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Q and E rotate the camera, but only in battle.

MotU posted:

it was crowd-translated by multiple fans and after beating the game twice I am thinking there are way more than three since you get down to Google translate and also mangled misspelled Google translate as well as (very few) random points of perfectly fine English

Yeah I should have said at least three. Some of the translation is good, some of it is mediocre, some of it is bad in an amusing way ("Let's see how you feel getting burnt while held down by the vase!!"), some of it is straight up awful, and some of it is untranslated. Well, if they crowdsourced the translation, they probably also should have crowdsourced the editing. For 95% of the text, the relevant meaning is all there -- it just desperately needs the attention of a native English speaker.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

My favorite untranslated bit was at the cooking competition village where the reminder of ingredients needed was entirely in Chinese. At least I could deduce the amount of them by punctuation.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
This game is amazing, but even more than better translation, what I really need is a better quest log. I'm in the overworld section of the game, trying to find the ingredients for the poison cure. I have the weird fish from the frozen north and the bird blood from the desert, but I can't even remember what the third ingredient is. I don't see anything about it on the Event page. Help please?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Go talk to the floriculturalist.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Don't know how I missed that. Thanks.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

So I was trawling through the Steam discussions for the game to see if there's any news of more patches/translation fixes coming up and came across this:

"r80728 [developer posted:

"]
Here's a summary about what's coming up in the next DLC:

1. Main story extension
DongChang route and Begger's Sect route largely extended. New plot lines, new battles, new possibilities for every current routes, more or less.

2. New romance possibilities.
Shen Lan and a brand new character, a princess from Western Region, may develop relationship with the protagonist.

3.New moves to learn and new events to explore.
Our protagonist will have chances to learn more moves related to poison. Plus he may learn one of the most notorious and fearsome swordsmanship in wuxia history, which would require him to sacrifice part of his bodypart.

4.Achievement system & New game plus(will be known as the Power of Sanctuary):
Players will be able to collect in-game CGs and endings and view them at any time they want through the achievement page on the main menu. Plus, if players manage to achieve certain conditions, they will unlock special CGs for the achievements.

Player will receive a Power of Sanctuary once they clear the game in non-monkey difficulty. Power of Sanctuary can be used to lock certain stats or raise the possible limitation of all stats. Other than that, some of the new talents can also be unlocked after players have at least cleared the game once.

If everything goes well, we should be able to see this new DLC this month, both on the original Chinese version and Steam version.
:neckbeard:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

12 total romance and 'that' kung fu. :aaaaa:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Do you need to do a quest to get Ji Wen to join your party? I have her at 100 affection, but whenever I talk to her she just says something about the Golden Wing. I thought that was for the poison cure quest. If that is something I need, where do I get it?

I hope it's not a bug. Ji Wen is my fave.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is that on the normal route? I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm pretty sure that the number of people you can actually recruit on the normal route is fairly limited. Ji Wen might not be recruitable.

To be completely honest though, unless they have a strong status debuff (Lan Ting is recruitable and has strong poison debuffs), recruitable characters are kind of useless because while every fight before the final two is pathetically easy, the last two fights are so completely out of normal characters' depth that they're likely to do no more than a couple hundred damage before getting one shotted. Your main character is going to be doing all the heavy lifting while Gu Yuexuan eats damage and pills.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Nyaa posted:

12 total romance and 'that' kung fu. :aaaaa:

Wow, if that is what I am thinking of (Sunflower Manual?) I wonder if it is possible for there to exist a hero who uses that style.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

So I'm doing one of the pre-endgame quests (I presume) where you need to gather ingredients for Wudang master's antidote and I'm stuck on the hunting part. Haven't done hunting in this playthrough before and I'm poo poo at it, so used up all arrows I could find on getting the bear and tiger ingredients for the Beastmaster lady. Problem being, still haven't got the silver tiger skin and can't find any more arrows in any of the towns. Does anyone know if they restock or should I accept quest as failed and soldier on?

EDIT: Had to reload an earlier save and grind for an hour.:suicide: Have about 100 arrows left now so let's hope next part of quest doesn't take one hour more.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 10, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Does the Weapon Master talent work on music instrument? Cause I found a guqin with 120 atk! :derp:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Does the Weapon Master talent work on music instrument? Cause I found a guqin with 120 atk! :derp:

I think so, thank god for my 180(120?) attack spear that gave 200 defense!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Hmmm, so i could forgo training kung fu stat if i can find a kung fu that power by hobby skill with a good hobby weapon (guqin,fan) instead!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Short handle and Qin still use their mastery stat in the damage calc, I believe.

Finger may be the most OP general style. Xiaoyou Finger is legitimately great and is useful in the end game because Ignore is basically the best thing. Peach Punch is available early and gives strong DOT options and regen. One Yang is pretty bad, but the end game options are good or better (hexameridian, rapid stream, 2nd poison style for gimmick poison stacking). Pair with Master of Unarmed for crazy 5+ combo turns.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is that on the normal route? I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm pretty sure that the number of people you can actually recruit on the normal route is fairly limited. Ji Wen might not be recruitable.

To be completely honest though, unless they have a strong status debuff (Lan Ting is recruitable and has strong poison debuffs), recruitable characters are kind of useless because while every fight before the final two is pathetically easy, the last two fights are so completely out of normal characters' depth that they're likely to do no more than a couple hundred damage before getting one shotted. Your main character is going to be doing all the heavy lifting while Gu Yuexuan eats damage and pills.
It is the normal route as far as I know. This is my first time playing, so I doubt my flailing about would have managed to unlock any other kind. And yeah, I don't really want Ji Wen for her combat ability, but because her personality is cool as hell. I hadn't filled up every slot on my party list before talking to her, but it could be a route thing too. Oh well. There are plenty of other cool characters to enjoy.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Tricky posted:

Short handle and Qin still use their mastery stat in the damage calc, I believe.

Finger may be the most OP general style. Xiaoyou Finger is legitimately great and is useful in the end game because Ignore is basically the best thing. Peach Punch is available early and gives strong DOT options and regen. One Yang is pretty bad, but the end game options are good or better (hexameridian, rapid stream, 2nd poison style for gimmick poison stacking). Pair with Master of Unarmed for crazy 5+ combo turns.

I haven't tried finger styles yet but I'd give my vote to Zithers for how easy it is to acquire their styles and their general usefulness. Zithers have party buffing and healing options, a good range of debuffs (including Internal Injury on a first move, meaning you can switch to it and apply Internal Injury without having to wait on cooldowns), crazy big AoE on all their offensive moves, and good damage (practically all their moves ignore defense). If you're playing for the first time you really can't go wrong using Zithers.

Hidden Weapons are also pretty drat good, so long as you pick up the somewhat elusive first style, which gives you literally the strongest weapon in the game -- a loving pot of water. Said pot of water only has 10 damage, but that becomes irrelevant later on in the game when your natural attack is 500+, and it makes up for it with an insane 30% crit rate and a permanent health regen buff. The first style's first move is a range 4 shot that applies Internal Injury and has Combo. The other styles have nifty AoE, debuffs and the ability to deal with annoying dodgy enemies. It even has a style that gains a damage bonus from your Chess score how cool is that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I am glad the game have a kung fu style that let you throw a pot of water at people.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Sadly that's not exactly how it works. It's meant to mesh with the first style that you get, which essentially consists of using Qi somehow to turn water into ice spikes and toss them at people (although the style works with any other Hidden Weapon because why not). Basically you carry a pot of water around so that you can turn it into deadly ice spikes. It's pretty cool all things considered.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Am I loving myself into specific endings if I learn that Poison Fist from the evil master or just lose a style by refusing him?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

drat, no save in between the last fights is brutal. Lost my last one on my first attempt, time to have another go. Just hope my character's not gimped too much!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's actually the only place where the Battle autosaves happen, or at least it was for me.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Tried to give this game a shot, but possibly because of Windows 10, after I tried to have the first guy who joins you in the first fight attack the geese bandits, the game stopped doing anything. I could rightclick on people to see their description still, but the actual battle part wouldn't advance. After I mashed Enter, Esc, Tab, and then the rest of my keyboard for a while, I gave up.

Was worth a shot I guess.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Runs fine for me on a laptop with Windows 10, so there must be something else going wrong for you. Are you playing full screen?

And yeah, just found autosaves! At least there's only one battle to replay now rather than a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Am I loving myself into specific endings if I learn that Poison Fist from the evil master or just lose a style by refusing him?

On the contrary, refusing to learn from Xuanming will lock you out of the cult route. There's a million things that can lock you out of various routes but this isn't one of them.

• Locked thread