Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
so like is there a way to make the font readable on names of characters and stuff because it basically looks like jpeg artifacts when the dude has more than 2 names

is there a button to see the rest of the text a character has to say in combat? it doesnt fit all in one text bubble and clicking just skips the rest of it

edit: this is an issue with character bios too, gu yuexaun's doesnt fit all on one page and apparently that means i dont get to read it. real disappointing if this is the case

2nd edit: theres a lot of little issues, from not really getting an idea of the time units (hour of [chinese character]) to things like the first sim section asking you a question about acupuncture based on a picture and that picture not being translated. I'll see how it is as I go along but it could have used a bit more polish before being released in English

MotU fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
There's a sectionlater that is a Caligraphy quiz by a guy in Luoyang and I have no idea if he says everything beforehand because I couldn't quite remember it all but it is about matching similar Chinese characters.

Everything is translated so uh, yeah. Good luck w/ that

That said I have no idea what I am doing with some stats or what I should be focusing on. I don't know if something special was supposed to happen with Yaksha at the birthday party. I didn't attack and lost and it kinda just ended the thing

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
If I were to hit dudes w/ a regular old Sword, what skills would I want to focus on? Should I try to get my Weapon Skill and Internal Energy to Rank 10 right away? It says that I need Qingqong, but should I also grab all the other Combat stats like Flexibility and Sight and all that?

It is a bit overwhelming with skills in all honesty.

Also, is there anything like a New Game+ where you can transfer over something when you complete a playthrough?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Aw heck you can't even move? I got 2 shot, I can't imagine not being able to take *any* action

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Translation randomly takes sharp dives all over the place. You can see how it had a bunch of different players doing translations. Some lines actually sound like they are native English and others are misspelled Google translate p much. Wish it got more of a unified pass done to it or something but what can you do I guess. If it gets worse then I'll be hesitant to say its a 16$ job. The gameplay is really fun but if the gibberish becomes commonplace then I'll feel like I wasted a few bucks honestly

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Abu Dave posted:

If I wanna go straight up hadn to hand fighting, what stats should I focus? I zone out during the logn cutscenes

You're gonna be zoning out a ton then but it is the actual fist martial art + flexibility. hunting also trains felixbility

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
this game is pretty brutal, I don't see how some of these fights in some of the year 2 excursions are winnable. maybe they have special conditions I don't know about because they aren't announced

Also is there a Quest Log or anything in this game?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Jesus christ the translation whiplash in this is really bad at times. It seems like 3 people translated a single conversation: it goes from using the term shifu, to Master, to priest to describe the same person in a matter of a dozen sentences. Like seriously there are some portions where it is just babelfish gibberish almost

edit: seriously this poo poo is getting ridiculous. Some follow up quest text isn't translated so I have no idea what the last ingredient I need is as I cannot remember and it is just in Chinese

MotU fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 29, 2016

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
it feels nice to get to a point where the tables are turned on the enemies and now you are the one 3 shotting things and non-stop recovering health. I am sure I am headed for a rude awakening fight soon enough but I feel overpowered now and that is nice

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Everything except Health, Energy, Attack, Defense, Martial Knowledge, Reputation, and Morals seem to cap at 100

I think some broadswords either have the word "Blade" in their description or name whereas Swords usually say Sword. This is not always true because nothing in the translation is consistent at all

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
some hunting stuff is used in Alchemy later so idk if you should eat them all. Gallbladders, Antlers and Musk for sure, but I forget what recipes and if they were useful or not

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
double post

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Airspace posted:

Okay, so just to make sure, when you write down your character's name is it Surname Givenname, or Givenname Surname?

SurnameGivenname, combined into one word in the game. IF you want them separated on the status page stick a space first in the second field

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Anyone get to the Qingcheng Sect area? I just saved Yan Yu from the Cult dude and now I am supposed to find out where they are hiding but there is nothing to find and nowhere to go that let's me do anything. Everyone still has the same dialogue

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

So are there any plans to go over the translation/ ui stuff later? Some of the stuff people have been posting sounds really immersion breaking

I doubt they can really 'go over it' since about 95% of the translation has some sort of issue with it, even if it is small. I would say like 10% of it so far is nigh-gibberish, 15% is misspelled Google-translate, 45% non-Native speaking broken English, 20% bad Grammar English, 5% good translation and 5% the word Bro

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Pladdicus posted:

The translation has taken a dip hilariously on this quest.

is this the restaurant one, because if not then you ain't sen nthaoing yert sishu

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
wow gently caress the untranslated bits. I just got a quest and the only word untranslated in it was where I had to go. real loving great

I doubt that anyone knows but in case where is the second piece of the treasure map on the quest to make duke cheng emperor

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Just got my first ending

Prime Minister

Don't know why the (ending path spoiler)Duke Cheng Rebellion failed and he got executed. Maybe I missed some quest flags? The last fight on that island (that I won) was loving insane and awesome though.

I also got individual ending slides for every stat I had at 100 and whatever girls I knew, which was weird since I not only formed Doctors Without Borders with Shen Xingyuan but I also married Qi Li? Sure okay. Also became the GOD OF COOKING AND THE GOD OF WINE.

Real good, fun game that could benefit from a better translation and also some indication I was on an ending path because I did not know that the game was coming to a close with that whole string of events.

Are the ending paths and the stuff leading up to them wildly different or will I be on different sides and junk depending on what I do? I assume so, because there are a ton of plotlines unresolved or continued and it is kinda weird that that just ended it so abruptly.

That last fight on that island though. Freakin' great

Also do I not get New Game+ stuff for that ending? That seems strange

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

SweetBro posted:

WAIT THERE'S A loving WORLD MAP IN THIS GAME? DID I JUST GET FF7ED!?

idk if it depends on what path you got put on but that portion did not last all that long for me so as far as I know it isnt nearly the same scale

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Pladdicus posted:

Can you tell me where to go after Cheng Du? I am super lost.

I went to talk to beggar sect, because trusting Xiao took me to sim, and so did staying out of it?

I don't know if you are on the same path that I did. If you are on the Duke Cheng -> Find Treasure Map storyline, then the place you have to go first is the Sea Shark Clan, the place on the river. If you are on the second piece of the spoiled storyline, then you have to go to the Western Village in the desert

If you haven't gotten to either that part yet, try going to the temple (separate map accesible from the city map) in Huangzhou, which is the city on the eastern shore

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Can't you turn the original dude running away in for a bounty with the constable? That might do something else with the event, or maybe not even fire it at all?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Pladdicus posted:

I let him go, and didn't take the bounty. Still doesn't seem to be anyway to side with them? When I select Help Xiao, the mc is like, I'd just be in the way!

Wait, did you not help Xiao? Who's side were you on? I was helping Xiao the whole time

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

How the hell am I supposed to catch any fish? My lines just keep snapping.

Hold down mouse when the fish is tired. The moment it starts moving against you stop holding down the mouse and wait for the fish to get slow/stop, then hold down the mouse again

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Pladdicus posted:

No! How!?

I could tell the Beggar's, and be against him. Or I could trust him to handle it, and move on to the other end event? Or I could...stay out of it? I don't know what that one would do

I was friends with Xiaoyao way before it but I was also friends with Yu Yan. I got an event from the Luoyang constable to catch a dude, and when I found him I let him go. I got another event later with the same dude and Xiaoyao and I told him I would help him no matter what, and I did and it set into motion an event with Xiao and the spoilered person before. I fought the Beggar's Sect and the good guy Buddhist monks and eventually partnered with the bad guy monk from an earlier event that took the 42 Sutras as well as the City of Heaven Assassins for the final fight. The end came pretty abruptly after that fight, though.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

OscarDiggs posted:

Does anyone know how to find a plum for the chess boy in Dukang?

Keep talking to the boy named Doggie and then agree to play hide and seek with him. He will be up behind the building where the woman asks for a tiger dick

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah the game seems to have been translated piecemeal by three different translators: the first is simply not very used to English, but tolerable because they write awkward English in an actually funny way. The second is pretty bad and likes to insert "dude", "bro" and "mate" inexplicably, and the third has apparently not studied English after scraping by ESL classes in high school. If only they'd spent a bit more hiring an editor who's familiar with the sort of mistakes that native Chinese speakers make, it would have been a lot better.

I don't really mind the first translator but man there are points where one of their colleagues couldn't write two words without making an extremely basic grammatical or typographical mistake.

it was crowd-translated by multiple fans and after beating the game twice I am thinking there are way more than three since you get down to Google translate and also mangled misspelled Google translate as well as (very few) random points of perfectly fine English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

What are the keyboard controls? C brings up the stat screen, but I can't figure out how to turn the camera.

should be Q and E

• Locked thread