Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

OscarDiggs posted:

If you hold down the plus icon with your mouse, it will tick up on it's own eventually going really fast. It takes a bit for it to really get going and if you're buying loads of things (like 9000 arrows...) it will take a minute to get to top speed but all you need is to do is click and hold down.

Is there any new game plus mode or any benefit to starting on the hardest difficulty? I've held my own on the first few fight but past the second city it's a bit annoying how easily rekt my guy is getting. If there's a new game plus I'll start again on rookie and work my way back up.

Also, has anyone tried any of the three move sets you can get in Dukong from the beggar guy? I always took the comprehension boost but if those skill set's are better I want to give them a try.

The one for Swords is pretty good (Nine-fold Dugu) -- it has good damage and the third move is a three-hex arc that gives you an invincibility buff. The only cool looking attack is the second one, which was a bummer. It also requires 150 martial knowledge to unlock, which took me until the back half of Year 2 even winning the (year 2) fight at the Shaolin Temple and every optional fight I could find before that. On the upside, you turn into a wrecking ball because your basic stats are crazy from the non-stop training.

I lean more towards the Sword style you get from sparring with your master (Four Guardian). The base attack isn't exceptional, but it has a cleanse and an AoE that are great. You also have a lot more flexibility in terms of your build/when you can start using it. I haven't found any other Sword styles. I have the one from the beggar, one from the master, and the base one. I'm at the plot event in Year 2 October, so hopefully I can get one or two more before the end-game phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sporkie posted:

Ohhh... In retrospect, that makes perfect sense. Never noticed the groupings before really, so now I feel kinda dumb. Thanks a bunch!

Was thinking of restarting my character with a different trait after my latest start with weapon master, too many of the unarmed styles look cool, heh. Just wasn't sure which trait to aim for instead. Still not convinced Prodigy is actually a good thing after my last attempt with it.

I'd lean towards Master of Unarmed Combat if you're using a style that has Combo tags on its moves or one of the defensive stat ones if not.

Does anyone know if there's a reliable spot to get better armor than one of the 150 ones in year 2? I hear you can pull them from random chests, but I haven't seen anything other than accessories.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scrublord Prime posted:

Ahh, that explains how my poison skill is nearly maxed out. The result prompts are way too easy to miss in this game. Thanks!

Part of the problem is that Internal training, no matter which style, always says "Health, Energy, and other stats raised."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Training Flexibility, Toughness, and Internal Styles give you a flat bonus every instance.

Flexibility - 4 ATK
Toughness - 10 DEF
Internal Styles - HP, Energy, + assorted bonuses

So ideally, you want to maximize your opportunities to train those three stats. Hearing and Seeing don't offer stat bonuses per instance, so taking that talent is a good choice. Roll for sub-10 comprehension and save any books or the comprehension accessory for after maxing the above stats. Also, go for Smart to tank your mood when training basics.

Assuming you do nothing past training your basics, you have well over 100 training opportunities before you hit the end of Year 2. You almost certainly won't need all of them, giving you the opportunity to pursue plotlines like Celestial Melody or the Poison Doctor (especially important for the extra internal style) that set you up for whatever style you want.

You can definitely get through to that point just using Huangang/Xian Swordsmanship with the default style to out-tank everyone. With the Scarlet Pill, you should have decent damage as well.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Nyaa posted:

What kung fu style use Fan? Or do they stack with everything?

Usually the general store guy. It's the guy next to the smith in tutorial village, and general store in other city.

You can get Xian Fan techniques from the master, the flower blossom fan techniques from the calligrapher, another one after maxing out calligraphy/affection for the calligrapher, and apparently at least one more from the calligrapher/painter plot. The mastery stat is short handle.

Scrublord Prime posted:

Fans use short-handle, though I'm not sure what basic stats are supposed to go with it. I don't have a firm grasp of how all the numbers work together so far. I use the Fan moveset I got from The Scholar for it's range, knockback, and movement debuff and I can cheese anybody with poo poo movement or no ranged attacks.

I think it's either calligraphy or painting, depending on who you get it from. The basic fan style is really good between the blindness debuff, +action level, and the drain on its base attack. Super strong if you get lots of counters.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 5, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sporkie posted:

I have a stupid question. When you max Internal, can you still train internal skills? Or do I need to be aware of maxing out Internal and that's the max hp/energy and style I can get for the game?

Also, is there a specific bonus for getting an internal style to 10, or is the bonus pretty much just flat across the training no matter the level?

You can train Internal as long as you have a style that isn't at 10. The Internal stat itself is only relevant when it is used as part of the damage formula for a style. There's no specific bonus that I can see for maxing an internal style.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

There's an internal style (Art of the Eastern Sky) for sale in the shop Year 1 Early November for 2000. It's so-so (6% health regen, 100% accuracy boost for allies) but it gives good stat gains for training.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Short handle and Qin still use their mastery stat in the damage calc, I believe.

Finger may be the most OP general style. Xiaoyou Finger is legitimately great and is useful in the end game because Ignore is basically the best thing. Peach Punch is available early and gives strong DOT options and regen. One Yang is pretty bad, but the end game options are good or better (hexameridian, rapid stream, 2nd poison style for gimmick poison stacking). Pair with Master of Unarmed for crazy 5+ combo turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Also they really should have maps for these city sections as I'm desperately trying to find the pawn shop for the golden hairpin. I do not like how they're timed and I probably made a very bad mistake putting it on the third difficulty.

It's in the bottom-right market section. Follow the line of buildings at the bottom up into the corner. And yeah, finding things is easily the worst part of the game.

• Locked thread