Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I think I messed up my character's growth or somesuch. I just got to the point early in the game where you visit Luoyang (probably misspelled) with Ji and Yuexuan, and although I can't really die thanks to the combined effects of Internal Style regeneration and regeneration from the sword style's first attack, I just seem to do abysmal damage. It took me fifteen turns to beat up some stupid bear, and it also took practically forever to bully those four blowhards in town. How do you raise damage, exactly?

This game's really addicting though. I'd been waiting for it ever since I read JosehWongKS's beginnings of a LP for it, so I bought it on impulse last night and then suddenly it was 3 am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Martial Knowledge, the relevant fighting type (staff/sword/blade), the skill in the style itself (it levels as you use it, but you can raise it in sim too), attack power (raised by training internal/weapons/fights/etc)

Many styles also have a secondary skill that will improve it. The starting sword style is ehh, it'll be okay when you get it to level 10 but you should find a style that suits better, and a weapon to go with it. Note that you will actually deal less damage at first with a new style, but if you face an enemy who regens, and you can surtvive their damage you can train it with some patience.

Maybe I should re-start with different talents? On my first creation I decided not to care about talents except for getting the one that doesn't lock you into good or evil choices, but I ended up with Smart/Sentimental and the latter feels somewhat underwhelming compared to large stat boosts or improved combo chances.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Hm? Why do you want to roll low comprehension and tank your mood, exactly?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

How does the strategy option that lets you summon a friend work? At first I thought I needed to max out my relationship with the NPC before I'd be allowed to summon them, but I still can't ever use it. Do I have to pass a point in the story, or unlock it somehow?

The translation seems to be getting worse by the hour, but to be honest I'm glad the game made it to Steam in kinda-comprehensible English (ignoring the instances of untranslated text and text that gets cut off for not fitting into its box); it's unique and addictive. My main complaint, as a fan of grid-based RPGs, is that you don't really get enough opportunities to fight, and those opportunities tend to be a bit too easy (often giving me an allied NPC on fights that my character could comfortably take on his own). I finally found a way to make use of Sentimental after some girl taught me how to fight with the beautiful power of music, and the style is pretty strong. There's a good 3-tile piercing linear attack that also buffs my critical rate by 30%, a small AoE heal that also buffs evasion to >50%, and a strong heal to top it off.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 4, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, I just got my first ending -- the evil route. The final battle was a hell of a thing, but it was amusing to watch the combined heroic kung-fu masters of China fall one by one to a dude who plays music so hard it hurts and his band of lunatics. In retrospect, picking the easiest difficulty was probably a mistake -- everything felt too easy, even the final fight which seemed like it was stacked against me at first.

Speaking of routes, I took at peek at what you need to do to start the "true" route and holy mother of god that is ridiculous

Scrublord Prime posted:

Dangit, I'm awful at both of those :negative:

I'm gonna have to start taking screenshots notes to handle the pop quizes the masters give

Painting is extremely easy after you realize that, when you pick up a piece, you can see underneath it a faded image of the correct tile for that particular spot. As soon as I noticed that I went from failing like an idiot to acing them all. The internal style you get for it is pretty good, too.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

This game is going to be amazing in like a few months when someone crazy actually bothers to go in and actually translate things in a semi-meaningful way, because holy God are there a lot of fun bits held back by total incomprehension.

Yeah the game seems to have been translated piecemeal by three different translators: the first is simply not very used to English, but tolerable because they write awkward English in an actually funny way. The second is pretty bad and likes to insert "dude", "bro" and "mate" inexplicably, and the third has apparently not studied English after scraping by ESL classes in high school. If only they'd spent a bit more hiring an editor who's familiar with the sort of mistakes that native Chinese speakers make, it would have been a lot better.

I don't really mind the first translator but man there are points where one of their colleagues couldn't write two words without making an extremely basic grammatical or typographical mistake.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Q and E rotate the camera, but only in battle.

MotU posted:

it was crowd-translated by multiple fans and after beating the game twice I am thinking there are way more than three since you get down to Google translate and also mangled misspelled Google translate as well as (very few) random points of perfectly fine English

Yeah I should have said at least three. Some of the translation is good, some of it is mediocre, some of it is bad in an amusing way ("Let's see how you feel getting burnt while held down by the vase!!"), some of it is straight up awful, and some of it is untranslated. Well, if they crowdsourced the translation, they probably also should have crowdsourced the editing. For 95% of the text, the relevant meaning is all there -- it just desperately needs the attention of a native English speaker.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is that on the normal route? I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm pretty sure that the number of people you can actually recruit on the normal route is fairly limited. Ji Wen might not be recruitable.

To be completely honest though, unless they have a strong status debuff (Lan Ting is recruitable and has strong poison debuffs), recruitable characters are kind of useless because while every fight before the final two is pathetically easy, the last two fights are so completely out of normal characters' depth that they're likely to do no more than a couple hundred damage before getting one shotted. Your main character is going to be doing all the heavy lifting while Gu Yuexuan eats damage and pills.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Tricky posted:

Short handle and Qin still use their mastery stat in the damage calc, I believe.

Finger may be the most OP general style. Xiaoyou Finger is legitimately great and is useful in the end game because Ignore is basically the best thing. Peach Punch is available early and gives strong DOT options and regen. One Yang is pretty bad, but the end game options are good or better (hexameridian, rapid stream, 2nd poison style for gimmick poison stacking). Pair with Master of Unarmed for crazy 5+ combo turns.

I haven't tried finger styles yet but I'd give my vote to Zithers for how easy it is to acquire their styles and their general usefulness. Zithers have party buffing and healing options, a good range of debuffs (including Internal Injury on a first move, meaning you can switch to it and apply Internal Injury without having to wait on cooldowns), crazy big AoE on all their offensive moves, and good damage (practically all their moves ignore defense). If you're playing for the first time you really can't go wrong using Zithers.

Hidden Weapons are also pretty drat good, so long as you pick up the somewhat elusive first style, which gives you literally the strongest weapon in the game -- a loving pot of water. Said pot of water only has 10 damage, but that becomes irrelevant later on in the game when your natural attack is 500+, and it makes up for it with an insane 30% crit rate and a permanent health regen buff. The first style's first move is a range 4 shot that applies Internal Injury and has Combo. The other styles have nifty AoE, debuffs and the ability to deal with annoying dodgy enemies. It even has a style that gains a damage bonus from your Chess score how cool is that.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Sadly that's not exactly how it works. It's meant to mesh with the first style that you get, which essentially consists of using Qi somehow to turn water into ice spikes and toss them at people (although the style works with any other Hidden Weapon because why not). Basically you carry a pot of water around so that you can turn it into deadly ice spikes. It's pretty cool all things considered.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Am I loving myself into specific endings if I learn that Poison Fist from the evil master or just lose a style by refusing him?

On the contrary, refusing to learn from Xuanming will lock you out of the cult route. There's a million things that can lock you out of various routes but this isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Ehh, I find that's sort of the point. You aren't supposed to see/do everything in one playthrough. Blind holds some of the charm, makes decisions meaningful.

I do plan to dissect it play #2 though.

It gets unreasonably obscure at times. I can't imagine more than one player in 500 would be able to figure out how to enter the utopia route on their own, with all the dependencies, time limitations and random rear end dead-ends that make it a total pain in the rear end even if you know exactly what to do (there's one event that will dead-end you if your music stat is under 50, and two that are available at the same time but have to be done in a specific order, or else you're hosed).

• Locked thread