Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

quote:

- The Tribal Invasion and Pagan Subjugation CB's now require the actor to either have the Tribal government form or Elective Gavelkind succession form

This is a pretty big change for the Pagan Subjugation CB. For the cultures that allow unreformed pagans to start with something other than Elective Gavelkind, they lose that really nice CB as soon as they change to be feudal, which was usually a pretty easy thing (conquer feudal county, give it to your heir making him feudal, wait to die and become unreformed feudal).

quote:

- Nomad troops have now been rebalanced to promote buying something but the first tier horde, also added piety based 'auxiliary' hordes

This will be interesting to test. I would usually always buy the 250 light horse until I had enough gold to just go 100% in on the western europe heavy cavalry horde. I hope it wasn't that light cavalry was nerfed heavily, I'm hoping it's more of the other prestige/gold options being buffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I wonder, with elective changes to be non-hard coded if you could mod up a functional, playable ordinary republic government

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yo dudes, question? Total conversion mods seem to crash my game, I exit the launcher and all I get is a black screen with music for 5 minutes and then a ctd.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a treat for vikings.
Wait, and didn't they add 2 more counties there for some horrible reason?

The Papar were anchorites: they left the Island when the Norse arrived there and were never more than a few dozen at most.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Papar were anchorites: they left the Island when the Norse arrived there and were never more than a few dozen at most.
How would you model it in-game anyway? CK2 doesn't have colonization mechanic. Some event with decision to colonize an empty island?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress, they killed tribal invasion??? That is the worst news. Hopefully I can mod it back right because that's bullshit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

What the gently caress, they killed tribal invasion??? That is the worst news. Hopefully I can mod it back right because that's bullshit.

They haven't killed it, just restricted it. Quite sensible restrictions imho.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Torrannor posted:

certainly makes declaring wars on tribals less tedious since I don't need go click through the entire ally stack to see if anyone has or is close to 500 prestige

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

binge crotching posted:

This is a pretty big change for the Pagan Subjugation CB. For the cultures that allow unreformed pagans to start with something other than Elective Gavelkind, they lose that really nice CB as soon as they change to be feudal, which was usually a pretty easy thing (conquer feudal county, give it to your heir making him feudal, wait to die and become unreformed feudal).

this hasn't worked for a while and would switch either your capitol when inheriting or just leave you with an unuseable top level holding so you'd have to build a tribal one.

the real scam, which I kinda hope they fixed, was characters with 'starting troops' being able to mix in the three other councillor summoned troops, then switching the 'raiding' flag on and off. given enough time, you could collect what's probably an infinite amount of zero upkeep soldiers that would never despawn.

yes, I abuse the poo poo out of that one.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

They've killed it for republics and feudal governments. It's sensible in theory for the AI I guess, but you rarely see altaic republics or feudal realms. It's usually just when a nomadic ruler settles, and they are usually too weak to do much invading anyways, so I doubt you'll see much of a change on the AI's part. It mostly impacts the player in a silly way. Genghis Khan didn't conquer his way across earth because he lived in a yurt and that's what people who live in yurts do. He did it because he could. You've got poo poo I want, and I'm stronger than you, so I'm going to take it and gently caress you, stop asking questions, slave. It's the same mentality the Roman Empire had and they were about the furthest thing from tribals or nomads. Hell, you still see it in modern history at times, when the nomadic and tribal lifestyles have all but disappeared. Entire peoples can buy into that mindset. I do enjoy playing a vassal and managing smaller realms, but when it comes to the ambitious sorts of games where I'm playing as a conquerer, it feels like tribal invasion should just be called invasion, and it should be accessible to pretty much everyone. If your character wants to conquer everything for the glory of Rome or whatever, and it has the military force to do so, who's the game to tell you that you aren't allowed to think that way unless you believe in horses.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 9, 2018

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you're mad they killed the 'tribal invasion' mechanic for... feudal governments and merchant republics?

the word 'tribal' is right there, in the name of the thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You missed the point completely.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Siegkrow posted:

Yo dudes, question? Total conversion mods seem to crash my game, I exit the launcher and all I get is a black screen with music for 5 minutes and then a ctd.

Unrelated, but did that Warcraft mod you mentioned in the WoW thread ever materialize?

Also, here's my semi-annual question of "is there a mod fleshing out the hellenic faith so I can rebuild the Roman Empire circa ~100AD instead of the bastardized Eastern empire that is the Byzantines?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Annath posted:

Also, here's my semi-annual question of "is there a mod fleshing out the hellenic faith so I can rebuild the Roman Empire circa ~100AD instead of the bastardized Eastern empire that is the Byzantines?

YES! It's called Holy Fury and it releases next Tuesday

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I'm thinking about it, the best thing would probably be for the invasion mechanic to be tied to some sort of events and bloodlines. Maybe something that pops out of the war focus. Then you could have great conquerers and their descendants emerging organically. Like some AI dickhole in Eastern India coming up with the idea that god wants his people to conquer everything the sun touches, and he unites India and creates whole new player on the global scene that is a massive threat to the stability of the world, and leaves it to his children to carry on his legacy. Who says a Buddhist couldn't be a jingoist hellbent on conquest?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kaza42 posted:

YES! It's called Holy Fury and it releases next Tuesday

Holy crap I've missed a bunch apparently.

I have travel for work next week, but I know what I'm doing for my week off for Thanksgiving!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, and didn't they add 2 more counties there for some horrible reason?

I'm sure there's mods that will add like 20 provinces to Iceland.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Annath posted:

Unrelated, but did that Warcraft mod you mentioned in the WoW thread ever materialize?

Even then the upper class all learned Greek so in a way they were already Byzantines.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The only thing that this DLC seems to be missing from the playerbase wishlist is making African and Middle Eastern major rivers into major rivers.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Annath posted:

Yeah it got delayed to early December (at the least) because of Holy Fury, make sure there are no conflicts, maybe integration.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'm sure there's mods that will add like 20 provinces to Iceland.
Iceland had too many to begin with, adding more is silly

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jfood posted:

this hasn't worked for a while and would switch either your capitol when inheriting or just leave you with an unuseable top level holding so you'd have to build a tribal one.

the real scam, which I kinda hope they fixed, was characters with 'starting troops' being able to mix in the three other councillor summoned troops, then switching the 'raiding' flag on and off. given enough time, you could collect what's probably an infinite amount of zero upkeep soldiers that would never despawn.

yes, I abuse the poo poo out of that one.

I'm pretty sure I was able to do the feudal trick in the current release, but now I'm wondering if it was the previous.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even then the upper class all learned Greek so in a way they were already Byzantines.

In a way everyone is a Byzantine.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
Even now, 6 years ago you still argue about basic things in the game <3.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hahahahha holy poo poo you guys. (32:13 if the time doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrDKlHBBSFg&t=1933s

ANIMAL. loving. KINGDOMS.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

HOLY FURRY CONFIRMED

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This serioulsy gonna be the best CK2 DLC ever

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oh my god look at some of the random kingdom names in the video. The cat realm south of Egypt is called Kittena, and the bear kingdom in Eastern Europe is called Sealchomperland, and the dog kingdom in Arabia is Goodboyen :3:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got this game for free in a Steam deal, but: just the BASE game. No expansions/DLC. What should I do with my first 30 minutes or hour of CK2?

I have played Stellaris but no other Paradox grand strategy games.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Holy gently caress. :stare: They're even playable. I wonder how much effort they've had put into them in terms of custom events and stuff.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ninjahedgehog posted:

One of the dog nations is called Goodboyen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Don't gently caress with the ducks!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 10, 2018

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

One of the dog nations is called Goodboyen.

drat, goty

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Can it please just be Tuesday already?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

notably there seems to be culture effects, one was blank but dragons can raid infidel neighbours for loot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Paradox has created a game that satisfies every possible want I could have

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pmchem posted:

I got this game for free in a Steam deal, but: just the BASE game. No expansions/DLC. What should I do with my first 30 minutes or hour of CK2?

fwiw to you, there's very likely gonna be a sale on DLC this tuesday; they usually do one whenever a new DLC comes out

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pmchem posted:

Play the tutorial till you grasp the basics. Then the classic advice is to just fuddle around in Ireland at the 1066 start. Start as the Count of Dublin and have forming the Kingdom of Ireland as your first big goal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

pmchem posted:

General suggestion is to get your feet wet at Tutorial Island, the thunderdome also known as "Ireland". Start in 1066 (I doubt you can start earlier with no DLC anyways) and the two best Irish rulers to pick are Petty King Murchad of Mumu or Earl(Count) Murchad of Dubklinn.

Petty King Murchad (Petty Kings are basically independent Dukes) is good because he starts with a two counties, one ruled by a vassal, which automatically makes him slightly stronger than anyone else in Ireland.
Earl Murchad of Dublin is good because his father, Diarmait, rules the neighboring county of Laigin and is 71 years old. Once Diarmait dies, the county passes to his heir, you, giving you two counties to work with, automatically making you stronger than the rest of Ireland.

Your gameplan is to unite Ireland by sword, cloak, and dagger. Get your marshal training troops in your capital county immediately, your steward collecting taxes in your capital (you're gonna need the money), and send your chancellor to a neighboring county with the "Forge Claims" objective. While you wait for your Chancellor to conveniently unearth hitherto unseen ancient documents saying your family line once totally ruled this region and you totally are its legitimate ruler, you either wait for your father to die as Murchad of Dublin or, as King Murchad of Mumu, you can start plotting to steal away your vassal Earl's county from him since he is a dirty foreigner (one of the few cultural leftovers of a Norse invasion of Ireland a long time ago).

You can do this one of two ways, since he has nearly no family you can plot to kill his only heir, his newborn son (you monster) and then plot to kill him himself (having no heirs, the county would then fall to his liege, you) or going to the Intrigue Screen (F7) clicking "Choose plot" and picking "Revoke the county of Urmhumhain" (there is an option in the menu to use modern place names instead of the local culture's names btw if you'd rather Mumu be the more recognizably modern Munster). You'll need to invite people and might have to bribe a few people to support you. But once you get it, park your army in his capital and fire the plot. He'll either give up or its a fight (which you should hopefully win, assuming your guy is any good at leading military matters).

Anyways, once you've got two counties under your belt (by inheritance or stealing it from your foreigner vassal) you're now the biggest dog in Ireland. You just gotta wait for your chancellor to do his thing and fabricate a claim on a neighbor, pay the money for it, and then invade and seize the county for yourself. Once you've conquered half of Ireland you can crown yourself King of Eire and basically force everyone else to bend the knee and become your vassals. Once you're at that point, you're on your own and have to think of a new goal. Taking over Wales? Mucking about in Scotland? or maybe preparing to resisting England as depending on how the William vs Harold II vs Harold IV smackdown went, England could be a loving mess or a powerful foe.

I know thats a lot of :words: and I skipped some stuff I'm sure, feel free to ask questions.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So is interspecies reproduction possible? The game's former system for dealing with that was giving all nonhumans a massive fertility penalty, but that'd make the entire culture go extinct after a century.

poo poo, can you breed with that skeleton culture? Have little skeleton babies?

This feels like it must've taken so much work and they just hid it away in a menu.

• Locked thread