Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

SlothfulCobra posted:

So is interspecies reproduction possible? The game's former system for dealing with that was giving all nonhumans a massive fertility penalty, but that'd make the entire culture go extinct after a century.

poo poo, can you breed with that skeleton culture? Have little skeleton babies?

This feels like it must've taken so much work and they just hid it away in a menu.

The cynic in me is saying "they didn't put a bunch of work into the details because it's more of a fun easter egg thing" and thus it's not meant to be a viable mode, although I hope I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the horse culture and trait are different. if through shenanigans via heirs the horse gets land then the game tries to generate vassals of the same culture but doesn't take into account the horse trait for -1000% fertility

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cats and dogs better have huge opinion penalty with each other.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder if the random/shattered world will work with different map designs. It'd be neat to see someone make a handful of randomly generated maps to use with that so its not the same-ol boring Europe+NorthAfrica+western Asia

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So I guess that answers the question some one had a few weeks ago about what animal cultures are in the game. So you could have your wish to have a merchant republic with every house being a different animal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

pmchem posted:

I got this game for free in a Steam deal, but: just the BASE game. No expansions/DLC. What should I do with my first 30 minutes or hour of CK2?

I have played Stellaris but no other Paradox grand strategy games.

Everybody suggests Ireland, which is great for when you have no idea how the game works. It's one of the most isolated starts, so there's not much you need to worry about from big nations. The corollary to this is that it's also fairly boring, because there's going to be a lot of waiting out the clock for forging claims when you can't pull claimant/dynastic schenanigans, and there's not a lot of action.

One of the christian states of Spain is much more action-y, since you can right off the bat fight holy wars and plot to steal your brothers' kingdoms. If you're super unsteady with all the details of the game, the game also has a tutorial (which may be a little dated) which starts you off in one of those.

Italy's also a real good place to be relatively sheltered, since as a peninsula, it's pretty easy to parse out. Apulia, Tuscany, or Lombardy are good for that. You can be a vassal of the HRE or start the game later for an independent, more fractured Italy.

And if you want more options, there's the interesting characters guide on the wiki. With only the base game you're limited to Christians and can't go earlier than 1066, but I do encourage you to give later starts a look. The Latin Empire in 1205 is one hell of a ride.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Even if there's only the bare minimum for the animal cultures, it provides the base for modders. Pretty confident there will be mods fleshing each one out soon after release.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will make a new OP tomorrow, I somehow feel we need an animal kingdom thread title.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I guess I was confused on the new random modes they are adding. I thought one of them was a random landmass, but that doesn’t appear to be an option.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

So is interspecies reproduction possible? The game's former system for dealing with that was giving all nonhumans a massive fertility penalty, but that'd make the entire culture go extinct after a century.

poo poo, can you breed with that skeleton culture? Have little skeleton babies?

This feels like it must've taken so much work and they just hid it away in a menu.

Crusader Kings 2: one fine day with a woof and a purr a baby was born and it caused a little stir

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Torrannor posted:

I will make a new OP tomorrow, I somehow feel we need an animal kingdom thread title.

Crusader Kings 2 - Honky Furry

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Torrannor posted:

Unfortunately I used "The Once and Future Monkey King" suggestion on a WoW thread a while back.

It does still apply here too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Funky Valentine posted:

Crusader Kings 2: one fine day with a woof and a purr a baby was born and it caused a little stir

:perfect:
:five:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

pmchem posted:

What should I do with my first 30 minutes or hour of CK2?

What others said, and: don't be afraid to turn the speed up, and use the character finder to invite potential commanders/advisers/mistresses/heirs' wives etc to your court.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Does the advisor post actually do anything? I always give it to whoever wants to be on the council and has no good stats.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Advisor slots are your reward for empowering your council. They don't actually do anything but you can make your powerful vassals with bad stats chill out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Or fill it with loyalists to give yourself some extra voting power.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Carnivorian polar bear realm in Norway.

:captainpop:

This DLC :discourse:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Please tell me you can start an elephant kingdom in India

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I get that its a pun of the expansion name, but its not very funny.

Honky - white person??

Furry - :ironicat:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Annath posted:

I get that its a pun of the expansion name, but its not very funny.

Honky - white person??

Furry - :ironicat:

Honky was a typo a guy did a while back

Furry is because of the animal kingdoms

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pidan posted:

Does the advisor post actually do anything? I always give it to whoever wants to be on the council and has no good stats.

Nope. It exists for the exact reason you're using it - as a jobless council slot so you can satisfy that jackass who insists on being on the council but has crap stats.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

:vince:

When this came out I was just gonna play an ordinary Catholic again because I hadn't done that since like Old Gods, but gently caress, now I'm gonna have to just go hog wild and build some animal empires based on satanic horse incest or some poo poo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A Duck Dynasty is "McDuck"

A name for Hedgehogs is "Silver"

15/10, greatest expansion

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i always give my advisor slot to someone who really likes me to make council votes a little easier

if a powerful vassal wants a council spot he should've gotten better stats :colbert:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

A Duck Dynasty is "McDuck"

Was it a Merchant Republic?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

Please tell me you can start an elephant kingdom in India

should really be on the west african coast

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

pidan posted:

No, its explicit point is that it's a do-nothing position that still satisfies powerful vassals demands to be on the council. It lets you neuter ones that have lovely stats without having to sacrifice your realm stats.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm seriously tempted to learn how to make custom portraits just so my Cat Empire of Persia is properly squish-faced and fluffy

Goodboyen delenda est

EDIT: Zunist, of course, because cats worship the sun already, may as well codify it

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 11, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder if the random/shattered world things have an option that make everyone matriarchal instead of patriarchal. That could be amusing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a setting that's % female rulers but I don't think it changes the enatic laws. Can't imagine that's too much to mod in.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

If I'm gonna yiff, i'm gonna yiff historic on the holy furry road

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh my god, now I have to play a world-conquering immortal dragon king SOMEHOW. This is an absolutely insane thing to slip in right before release. I wonder if they might...do some kind of whole fantasy CK2-like game in the future??

Pigbuster posted:

I binge bought this game and all the DLC last year during a depressed episode and since then I regretted it but now I'm finally actually playing the game and having fun.

This was from a few pages ago but I wanted to say that I almost always have instant buyer's remorse for games, but this one has been...the best game to play when I'm feeling anxious and depressed. It's also why I have 260 hours logged in this game since I bought it in loving June (I got problems).

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Crusader Kings II: If I'm gonna yiff, i'm gonna yiff historic on the honky furry road

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Immortal Irish Republic update:

Behold, the Norse Theocracy of Africa, in Europe, vassal of the Umayyad Empire. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Norse Visigoths, yet.

• Locked thread