Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

norse. there are just too many characters with awesome starts where you can go be something other than norse in a different part of the world.

think it has something to do with the entire map being open to me at the jump, which makes every other start so limited and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Africa's still kinda low on my priority list because I'm not a fan of playing games close to the map border, but I've been holding off on playing in Italy because of all of those map improvements they're going to make there. I wanna end up fighting the pope and see if Paradox has finally made it so that once you take Rome he'll pop up somewhere else instead of existing in nega-space (I've been reading up lately on the Avignon papacy too, which sounds like it could fit very neatly into Holy Fury's mechanics).

But then again, eastern Europe is pretty nice looking too, since they made a bunch of tweaks to the map there as well, and that's the place to be to reform a religion, try new conversion mechanics, or play around with the new holy orders.

But then the western edge of Europe is real nice too, since finally there's going to be a way to claw your way up out of the Umayyad foreverblob. Great opportunity to become a saint, and probably there's even some bloodlines floating around to mess with. Holy war is a pretty fast way to conquer your way up, so maybe I could swing a quick empire and then get a beef with the Pope over my coronation.

But hell, why limit yourself? When I get Holy Fury first thing I'll probably do is just roll a bunch of random worlds just to see what it looks like. I've been meaning to get Jade Dragon for its CBs next time its on sale, and I've always been worried by how little I know about Indian history. Might as well see what it's like when there's no history not to know.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Why not just holy war for it if you're fraticelli?

I tried, but the only CB the Declare War screen gives me is Great Conquest, and the Papal States are way too small so the button is just grayed out. maybe it's some kind of bug or something?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Holy War CBs can only target adjacent duchies, or near maritime if you're the right culture or religion I think.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

welp, guess I'll just have to accrue 98.7% threat tramping my way through Provence and Lombardy so I can install the rightful head of the Roman See

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think you can shortcut your way around that by finding a claimant to some area near to Rome, but I'm not sure. Distance limitations are pretty vague.

It'd make sense if you could use antipapal mechanics to establish a pope, but I guess that'd make Fraticelli even more powergamey.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 8, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When you fabricate a claim, you can move the counselor after the notification pops up that he has successfully fabricated it, and before you agree to pay for it. The claim will be on the county he's on when you click OK. So you can tell your counselor to fabricate a claim on your neighbor where there's a high chance of success, then move him to Rome once the event fires and get a strong claim.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Holy War CBs can only target adjacent duchies, or near maritime if you're the right culture or religion I think.
According to the wiki, it's two sea zones if either of you are Muslim, or if the attacker is Christian and Crusades are active. So yeah, start working your way into central Italy.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

indigi posted:

welp, guess I'll just have to accrue 98.7% threat tramping my way through Provence and Lombardy so I can install the rightful head of the Roman See

who even plays with threat on? It's an awful mechanic and even the devs seem to realize it because turning it off doesn't disable achievements unlike loads of other much less game-changing settings.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

cock hero flux posted:

who even plays with threat on? It's an awful mechanic and even the devs seem to realize it because turning it off doesn't disable achievements unlike loads of other much less game-changing settings.

...it doesn't? gently caress, I gotta try that next time then.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

oh snap

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MaxieSatan posted:

...it doesn't? gently caress, I gotta try that next time then.

Yeah, this is news to me, too! I'm gonna turn that off when I start my post-Honky Norse game, in the next couple of weeks

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm ready for some Honky Kings action. Don't know what I want my first game to be yet though. Probably Nords but I've been leaning towards Slavics lately.

...for a second I read that as Honky Kong.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

The Map doesn't go that far south; At most you can be Honky Songhai

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

H K
HONKY
KONG

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Ovl4lUIlU

Sincerely, a pagan lover

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
My antipope of the antipapacy my great-great-granddad established decided to stop so I figured "huh, oh well, I'd be okay with following the real pope from now on". Then the pope immediately excommunicated me for no reason so gently caress you my guy's an antipope again lol

I binge bought this game and all the DLC last year during a depressed episode and since then I regretted it but now I'm finally actually playing the game and having fun.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BenRGamer posted:

Now I need a mod that takes place within the donkey kong mythos.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Huskalator posted:

The more the better.

I recommend reading "Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing Unto Others."

A very informative and at time hilarious book

quote:

This story comes from one of the French fabliaux of the late twelfth century.

A fisherman has married a young wife, whom he satisfies sexually, in the words of the poem: A young and well-fed healthy wife Wants frequent loving all her life.

She claims that she loves him because he supports her and buys her things; he says it’s only for the sake of sex.

… I earn Your love by working for your pleasure. Never for finery or treasure Do women love their lords the way They do for screwing’s what I say.
(Note how different this is from a contemporary scenario, in which a wife would be much more likely to protest that she loves her husband for the great sex, while he would accuse her of wanting him only as a meal ticket.)

The fisherman finds a dead body in the water one day – a priest who had drowned while escaping from a jealous husband – and decides to test his wife. He cuts off the penis and takes it to his wife, claiming that it is his, cut off when he was attacked by three knights.

She immediately says to him: God shorten all your days on earth. I hate you. Now your body’s worth Nothing.

She makes ready to leave the house, but he calls her back and tells her God has miraculously restored him. She says: Today you frightened me no end. I never had such a fright before, while embracing him, and holding his penis, just to be sure.14

Karras, Ruth Mazo. Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing Unto Others (Kindle Locations 456-458). Taylor and Francis. Kindle Edition.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
250 pages and $50. That's a college textbook for ya

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I mean at minimum Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales would do you for Western Europe.

Of course for the full Zoroastrian RP experience you must hammer your way through the entire Shahnameh in Persian.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

lenoon posted:

I mean at minimum Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales would do you for Western Europe.

Of course for the full Zoroastrian RP experience you must hammer your way through the entire Shahnameh in Persian.
There's translations either online or at your library/elibrary I presume.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We have a dev diary and patch notes!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-108-achievements-appearances.1127439/

Some of these achievements are very interesting.

L'Eglise, c'est Moi!
As an Emperor, grab the crown out of the Pope's hands and crown yourself.

Seems like there's room for shenanigans in coronations!

Deus Vult
Create the Empire of the Outremer.

A new Crusader empire?

History is in my Blood
Have 5 Historical Bloodlines on your character.

So it might be easier than I first thought to collect the bloodlines. I was under the impression that they followed strictly agnatic inheritance unless explicitly noted otherwise, which would make it impossible to get more than one of those into your bloodline. This suggest otherwise.

I have no time to really look over the patch notes, there are probably some gems hidden within them.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

quote:

- Book-type artifacts can no longer be stacked indefinitely, characters can now have max 4 books active at once (Library equipment slot)

That'll be a big nerf for Hermetics! Still powerful though.

quote:

- Vastly reduced the cost of Prestige buildings in Tribal holdings
- Added culture-specific buildings to Tribal holdings, when upgraded to Castles these buildings will become the castle variant of the appropriate culture building (Rank 2 Tribal building becomes Rank 1 Castle building, Rank 4 Tribal building becomes Rank 2 Castle building)
- Added a small tribal building chain for defensive pagans, built with Piety rather than prestige
- Added retinue size modifiers to several tribal buildings, allowing Tribal rulers to field much larger retinue stacks than they were able to previously
- Disabled the Decisions for Tribal realms to hire temporary troops for prestige/piety, they caused too much confusion for players (where did those 5000 troops come from?) and allowed for a much too rapid conquest (declaring multiple wars to avoid having them despawn), this is only in effect if Legacy of Rome is active
- Added several tribal-only retinues that are available to be recruited for Prestige (and Piety, for Defensive Pagans), intended to fill the niche decision-spawned troops had (prestige-based armies) without causing confusion/uncertainty
- Disabled all standard gold-costing retinues for Tribals, except for their cultural one
- The AI will no longer spawn random troops from Build Legend or Build Zeal as long as they're not at war (they often let the troops expire without using them, losing prestige/piety)

These are all nice changes for both playing as and against tribes. Having to look out for the sudden army from nowhere was annoying.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

quote:

- Controlled Realm Inheritance now affects your realm instead of the DeJure region for the title. And it is now in effect as long as any title above the title being inherited has set Controlled Realm Inheritance to Illegal.

Every time I would take a break from the game, I would always forget how Controlled Realm Inheritance worked and get confused when I'd lose something.

e;f,b

quote:

- Disabled the Decisions for Tribal realms to hire temporary troops for prestige/piety, they caused too much confusion for players (where did those 5000 troops come from?) and allowed for a much too rapid conquest (declaring multiple wars to avoid having them despawn), this is only in effect if Legacy of Rome is active
- Added several tribal-only retinues that are available to be recruited for Prestige (and Piety, for Defensive Pagans), intended to fill the niche decision-spawned troops had (prestige-based armies) without causing confusion/uncertainty
- Disabled all standard gold-costing retinues for Tribals, except for their cultural one

This is a big change. And one that a lot of people are going to have to get used to.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 9, 2018

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Those new Arabic faces look so much better than the original ones, holy poo poo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also it seems they really improved the vanilla map in many areas. I wish I had visuals.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No more chain conquering Ireland in a single stack :(

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

yo can anybody help a guy out and make an imgur link to the patchnotes?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tercio posted:

yo can anybody help a guy out and make an imgur link to the patchnotes?

I don't feel like screenshotting like 30 pages, how about a pastebin?

https://pastebin.com/LQVdLsGs

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Azhais posted:

I don't feel like screenshotting like 30 pages, how about a pastebin?

https://pastebin.com/LQVdLsGs

perfect! thank you!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm thinking Aztec game first. That unique reformation option they have looks awesome. Maybe a merchant republic, so I can really abuse it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

binge crotching posted:

I'm thinking Aztec game first. That unique reformation option they have looks awesome. Maybe a merchant republic, so I can really abuse it.

*arrives in new world*

Hello there travelers, Grand Doge Cuauhtémoc sends his greetings!

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

wait, do east slavic characters still have those janky portraits?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Holy poo poo. I knew they were adding new provinces, but I didn't quite grasp the scale. 63 in Africa alone. 112 for just the steppe. This patch is going to own insanely bigly

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a couple big things hidden in the patch notes, biggest of which:

quote:

-Added army movement lock system. When a unit has progressed 50% with its movement into a County, the order cannot be canceled. While movement locked, further moves may be canceled or queued up. Army movement lock can be disabled via the game rules

That'll really put more change into how you move troops around, no more trying to chase down an army feinting to two separate counties like when you're chasing somebody on the other side of a table.

quote:

- Added new Crusade events
- A chance for Crusader States to appear
- Personally leading a flank of your army now gives the army a 10% morale
- New titles
- Principality of Antioch, available for Catholic rulers in charge of Antioch
- Added a new "pot" mechanic to the Crusades, which will spread out prestige, piety, gold and artifacts after a successful campaign, to all the most participating members of the Crusade

There's finally going to be a smattering of crusader states in addition to the kingdom of Jerusalem forming, and there's more fun to have in the crusade than just a trait and being the big winner. No real idea what the "empire of Outremer" is.

quote:

- The Hansa is now available for players through a decision
- A kingdom tier Swiss Confederacy is available through a decision
- The titular Kingdom title Moravia is no longer createable as a titular title.
- The titular Kingdom title Cyprus is now only formable through a decision (independent Catholic duke of Cyprus).
- The titular Duchy title Powys is now only formable through a decision.

Finally Switzerland gets some lovin', an opportunity for catholics in the levant, and an odd thing with Powys. Not sure what that last one is about.

quote:

- Only bishops of Count level or above can be made into anti-Popes

There goes my "no county bishops ever" strategy.

quote:

- Split the 'Supernatural' game rule into two: 'Supernatural' which controls events such as the Demon Child, and 'Absurd' which controls events such as Chancellor Glitterhoof
- Added the 'Generate Families' Game Rule, with the purpose of filling in historical blanks when it comes to historical families. When set to 'on' (default) most characters who start without any recorded historical family will have a spouse and a few kids generated. This prevents early game-overs and kickstarts the marriage game to initiate earlier.
- Added an extra setting to the 'Chinese Interactions' game rule: Restricted, which restricts the diplomatic range of China to the eastern portion of the map permanently.

Some nice quality of life improvements and addressing some players' complaints with rules. If you don't want a China explosion, you can keep them stuck back east.

quote:

- In 769 Iceland now starts populated by Irish theocracies, representing the papars. Norse characters will during the Viking Age get the opportunity to take it over.

There's a treat for vikings.

quote:

- The Caspian Sea is now functionally like an ocean. With boats and merchant republics and stuff
- The Nestorian Patriarch has moved to Baghdad, he feels more at home there
- The Miaphysites and Monophysites don't really care about Pentarchy anymore

Some out east tweaks.

quote:

- When a new merchant republic house is generated from thin air, the new patrician comes with a family so that they can't as easily go extinct shortly after due to a single unfortunate death
- Harbor and Fishing Village buildings in Nomad holdings now provide a nominal amount of Galleys

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 9, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tercio posted:

wait, do east slavic characters still have those janky portraits?

Yeah, they'll still use the Russian set. Though it won't be hard at all to mod them over to one of the new Slavic sets, or even just the faces and leave the Russian clothes. In fact, I bet this guy will take care of that for you within a couple of weeks.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quote:

- Split the 'Supernatural' game rule into two: 'Supernatural' which controls events such as the Demon Child, and 'Absurd' which controls events such as Chancellor Glitterhoof
- Added the 'Generate Families' Game Rule, with the purpose of filling in historical blanks when it comes to historical families. When set to 'on' (default) most characters who start without any recorded historical family will have a spouse and a few kids generated. This prevents early game-overs and kickstarts the marriage game to initiate earlier.

I've wanted these for a while so this is nice.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Buried in the modding section is that a government type or religion can permit female characters to take concubines and the add_consort command has been changed so the calling scope is the senior partner rather than always the male, which could break mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Does anyone have a Holy Fury de jure duchy map?

• Locked thread