Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've never played but just bought it because it was on sale and I've heard everyone talking about it for awhile. Plus I haven't played a big strategy game in ages.

Any DLC I shouldn't miss, or should I just play a bit with the vanilla game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I still don't think I 'get' how military/armies work in this game but I'm having fun!

Started as the child king of France, by the time he was 30 I had lost all of France except for Orleans and Paris :thumbsup: and then a dude from Verdun invaded me and imprisoned every member of my family except for two of my brothers.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Picked up some expacs and started a new game as the queen of Galicia and I'm having a loving blast. Even though I accidentally burned my heir at the stake (but the Pope forgave me and his son was awesome so it's ok).

My vassals kept declaring holy wars and winning so I've basically steamrolled over Hispanic and wrecked everyone's day and got almost the whole empire in my dysnasty. I'm probably going to gently caress it up massively in a few years but it's fun now!!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Karl who? Never heard of him :smug:

(I'm not playing the Merovingians, I'm just the satanist duke who helped him become king)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

The Merovingians are NOT doing too well. We've got three separate revolts, two for independence and one for the crown, one Antipapal War and also immediately after one revolt ended Denmark came in and claimed Holland. Prior to this Austrasia was also trying to claim the French Crown. ALSO like every other loving duke or count is possessed or a lunatic and I don't know why.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Definitely have a Satanist problem. But I don't want my chaplain to hunt apostates, because my whole family and I are secretly Jewish and the king's chaplain already burned my heir. :smith:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Playing Norse pagan rules, I just look around and see who I can conquer and then their poo poo is mine.

Turning off diplomatic range does some fucky stuff, I ended up with a city in Tibet through inheritance and I didn't even realize it until someone over there decided they wanted it. I'm Denmark. Also someone in India is controlling half of Scotland.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Sulphagnist posted:

Is there a fertility penalty for being in a different court than your spouse? Married my ruler to an independent double duchess hoping they'll have a son together who will inherit the lot, but even after five years with Family focus and Groom an heir ambition on, nothing. Or could she be infertile and you just can't see?

Feeling sympathy for Henry VIII all of a sudden here. I'm tempted to switch to Seduction focus just to have them fall in love with each other since that should help.

I think there is with CK2+, but not the unmodded game. Some characters just don't seem to have much luck getting pregnant. Get a mistress, my guy.

I continually have the opposite problems where my rulers are waaaay too fertile. I've had several games where I could NOT stop my ruler from loving, one where two of my queen's sons AI chose Seduction and they both had about 20+ kids, including each of them having a baby with a different sister. Another game, my 40+ year old cancer-ridden Duke suddenly had five more kids with his wife.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
god Holy Fury looks so loving dope.

I decided to start a new game in the Byzantine Empire because I haven't actually played with them since I bought Legacy of Rome. I'm just a duke, what's the absolute best way to gently caress up the ruling family's poo poo and ruin the empire.

I just want to let it all burn.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

ninjahedgehog posted:

Conquer land outside of the empire and make sure to form the duchy/kingdom before the Emperor does, otherwise he'll make it a viceroyalty and tell your heir to eat poo poo when you die.

If you really just want to make the empire burn, your best bet is probably to form a secret religious cult for either an Orthodox heresy or some flavor of Islam. Convert all the vassals, prepare grounds in every province, and then publicly expose the cult and make the Paradox forums cry.

Gotcha, secretly convert to Islam and conquer the poo poo out of everyone else.

Is Sunset Invasion worth getting? I was kind of thinking about picking it up just to play with something a little different.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Turtle

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
How common is it for someone to survive having the Plague. Because my ruler got it and for sure I thought he was a goner but he pulled through without doing radical treatments or anything.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Hey why does my physician only tell me to drink breast milk and why does he always have a lot on hand.

I do not think I should be paying this man.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

McGavin posted:

Counterpoint: You should be paying him more. :pervert:

I guess he's better than the nun who eats scabs.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Looks like it's on sale on Steam again, so I'm going to pick up a few of the dlcs I'm missing. I'm going to grab Conclave for sure. I asked earlier, but is Sunset Invasion worth playing with? It's like 2.50 so not a huge investment.

I've also been playing a new game and finally got through the immortality questline successfully for the first time. He's going to wreck everyone's poo poo so bad.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Sunset Invasion is completely skippable. It's an invasion that Western Europe has to deal with. I like it and enjoy the chaos, but they aren't super fun to fight against.

I still might give it a chance, it just seems like some extra fun stuff.

What I'm lacking is Conclave, Republic, Horse Lords and Rajas (and sunset). Is Rajas worth it? I never play on the Eastern side of the map, but maybe I'm missing out? I'm analyzing the content a lot, I don't get to buy games/dlc much ok.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I am hella PEEVED posted:

With Tibet getting added in the Jade Dragon patch (and the silk road update with Jade Dragon/Horse Lords), India got more fun and less secluded. Prior to then, Tibet was a giant unplayable gray blob, meaning India just existed by itself and maybe interacted with some Muslims. Without Rajas and with Jade Dragon, you can play Taoists or Bon, both of which are fine. You do have to pay attention and not accidently game over yourself by having one of the other Indian religions on an heir.

I'd rank them Conclave >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Horse Lords = Republic > Rajas > Sunset. People might rank Rajas the same as Horse Lords/Republic if they really like India.

Thank you this is really helpful!! Still don't know what DLC I want, but it is helpful to read some non-Steam opinions.

Dude I loving hope they do, I'm 130 years old and if they don't think I'm mandated by heaven they better get with the picture.
(yeah my name is Cornelio Cornelius, I renamed the dynasty after he became immortal because come on, he's immortal)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Yeah, if you have the Customization DLC, I think? I bought it last sale. You might be able to do the same thing with mods, not sure.

So far, my immortal king has had three sons in a row become pope! Will ideally be at least four, because I'm starting an antipapal war as soon as my Fraticelli son grows up :)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
So I'm doing a game where my immortal king converted to Fraticelli and installed his son as the pope.

My son(the pope) calls a crusade on the Seljuks. Hmm, I think, the Seljuks are pretty enormous, but we can raise a huge levy, and I have a lot of gold so lets do it. I was gonna go and take the Seljuk territory, holy war for Jerusalem, install one of my other kids to be the ruler of that then switch my save to them.

So I'm fighting the Seljuks around Jerusalem and the Black Sea, and suddenly the war ends! Yay! I won all the land! Except...not where my troops are.

The crusade was for Turkmenistan :negative: I hate my idiot pope son

Also my king is 170 now, and has recently become disfigured, after already being one-handed, one-legged. I haven't let him lead armies in like a hundred years because he had already gotten injured a lot!! There was only a 20% chance goddamnit!!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Torrannor posted:

This requires Rajahs of India.

It might have been added in a patch or included in another dlc because I can do that and I don't have Rajahs.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

kingturnip posted:

I'm slightly fed up with managing the result of poo poo-tier Catholic Moral Authority, so I've decided that my Empire of Britannia is going to flip to Fraticelli at some point in the future.
I guess the next step is to install some secret Frat-bros when the current Viceraines die and hope they do their bit and induct a few people into our totally-a-secret-society.

Is there a good way to bring down the moral authority as a Catholic? Beyond publicly converting and doing holy wars.

I flipped the empire of Italia to Fraticelli my last game, and the new game I've just started I've already got most of my court as secret Cathars.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Strudel Man posted:

I hope it will also do something about the barony-level enclaves in foreign lands.

God I wish I could just transfer that vassalage. I don't want a barony in the HRE!

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, there were some similar comments on the Mali Trade Route dev diary, asking to see the slave trade implemented because Mali dealt in a lot of slaves (I have no idea how accurate that is, I just knew about the gold thing)

I've definitely made the mistake of reading too far into comments on Steam Workshop, half of them are requests/demands that the modder make/add a slavery mod, or something else that's horrible and misogynistic.

the comments on the enatic succession mod I downloaded...y i k e s

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Have they mentioned if you'll be able to create new holy sites with Holy Fury? I've just been playing my Cathar game and I was just thinking it'd be real nice to be able to make my capital a holy site and boost my moral authority a bit... (also I won two holy wars and took over Santiago, and made all my vassals convert to my heresy, but Catholics are STILL at 100% MA).

nickname mod good

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Here are the options:

quote:

Added the ‘Exclave Independence’ Game Rule, with the purpose of eliminating disconnected land on succession. As long as the new ruler during a succession isn’t at war, their exclaves should be set independent according to the setting. If the AI is at war during succession, they will try to remove exclaves once every year until such a time they are no longer at war (does not apply to Players). Settings:

Off - The default option, no removal.
Limited - Exclaves of Independent Rulers at peace will be removed on succession unless they are connected to the Capital area with gaps no larger than one County, via a naval path or part of the characters primary De Jure territory.
Limited (Naval) - Exclaves of Independent Rulers at peace will be removed on succession unless they are connected to the Capital area with gaps no larger than one County, via a limited naval path (1000 distance units) or part of the characters primary De Jure territory.
Significant - Exclaves of Independent Rulers at peace will be removed on succession unless they are connected via a naval path or part of the characters primary De Jure territory.
Harsh - Exclaves of Independent Rulers at peace will be removed on succession unless as they are connected via a limited naval path (1000 distance units) or part of the characters primary De Jure.
Total - Exclaves of Independent Rulers at peace will be removed on succession unless as they are connected via a limited naval path (1000 distance units). Disables Achievements.

So they are taking distance into account so you don't end up as Pisa owning Lappland or whatever. I don't know what 1000 distance units is though.

Youngest son's getting a rough start.

v Pretty sure that's part of Better Looking Garbs? If not, no clue.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Fat Samurai posted:

As a Norse, is there any clever trick to have people raiding AND being at war at the same time? Besides retinues.

Have some troops flagged as raiders and some not? I always forget to flag my retinues to NOT raid before I start a war so I sit in my enemie's county for a couple months like a moron wondering why my warscore isn't increasing.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Oh my goddddd come out already!!! It's gotta be this fall/winter, right?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
same except I'm already playing it

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

HRE's exploding nicely.

I started a new game as a count to see if I could work my way up and take over the HRE from nothing. Well, the second kid my dude has turns out to be a demon child. Except none of the events fired, just the one that told me he's a demon child. Apparently he got a witch nanny, though? I console command killed everyone in front of demonboy so he could take over the county anyway. Now I got a son of satan count. What should I do with him.

v Well, I still don't have conclave so maybe it'll be easy :v: Right now I just want the son of satan to take over an empire.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 30, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I got some bad news for you, kid.

e: the son of satan has also started hearing the voice of jesus and now has 56 martial

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 1, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Uhh a dude invited me over to carouse and I think I loving ate him at the end :stare:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

cock hero flux posted:

go minimalist and just call the thread "ck2"

This is the only right answer.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The new crowns are really cool!! I'll be excited to see what kind of game play effects stuff like the cursed crown will have.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
If you can think of a nobler cause I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Is there anything in the game that tells you what kind of troops are good for what, or is it just better to push heavy infantry/whatever over other kinds of troops..? Mostly I just try to have way more guys than whoever's attacking me, which is generally the best strategy.

Does morale boosting stuff help much? I feel like I've won wars because I have good morale-boosting modifiers. But I could be making poo poo up.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Is it worth it to have hirdmen/court volva as a Germanic ruler? I almost never assign honorary titles unless I need that opinion boost, but now I'm wondering.

I didn't realize there was a Germanic count in Brittany so I'm playing him and having a grand ole time. Trying to decide if I should bother reforming the religion or just convert...

e: a catholic uprising hosed me real good and kicked me out of Brittany before I could get the title :smith: At least I have Cornwall to retreat to.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 24, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I always try and matrimarry my daughters and land them because I'm an idiot and also I don't really know how to manage good alliances either. Every time I get into an alliance it's with some moron who's starting wars every other year.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
In making lovely alliance news: I'm stuck in an alliance with the king of Bavaria, and he keeps calling stupid loving wars that go on FOREVER so I, as a Norseman, have not been able to raid or hold a Blot for twelve years so far :negative:. I have a dungeon full of ding dongs waiting to get sacrificed!! They're piling up!!

I had to console command kill the sister I married to that guy, so at least when this current war is over he'll never call me again + I won't have to take an opinion malus for alliance-breaking. And at least I can keep conquering towards the holy sites to reform the faith in the mean time...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
So I uh.... accidentally killed the king of Norway while I was trying to revoke a pagan vassal's title and now England and Scotland (which Norway controlled) are super vulnerable to me, Wales, the only other power in Brittania that's strong enough to take over :getin: I'm also Norman and it's... almost 1066 so good timing!

So I just accidentally crushed my biggest threat and at the same time gave myself a ton of room to expand.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Gosh, what a nice, orderly map you have!

On the other hand,

Greece is like that because this:

happened 30 years ago and there was a crusade, but I have no idea what's happening with the Byzantines. Game's been going for ~180 years? I have been totally focused on the northwestern edge of the map so everything else I have NOT paid attention to. The giant brown blob is Lithuania which is...loving enormous.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The religious tax thing seems REAL useful if your religion is bad at converting or if you're conquering a religion with much stronger MA/resistant to religion.

I'm so ready for enatic in the game, the enatic mod I have is not my favorite. Can't wait for my very historically accurate realm of amazons.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'd be neat if you (or NPCs I guess) could use this new reformation system to create-your-own-heresy version of existing organized religions by swapping out one of the picks or whatever.

Do reformed pagan religions even get heresies besides the "old ways" version of the religion?

I'm really hoping for a create your heresy/religion mod in the future, maybe with all the new stuff baked into the game it'll be easier to mod?

• Locked thread