Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I just started playing again after like 2 years away. I'm figuring out most of the new mechanics alright, but it's still frustrating.

I'm a Byzantine Count (started as Duke) and need some advice. When my starting character died, my heir inherited my Counties but not the Duchy of Trebizond. I assume this is because the Byzantine Empire has the law where Duchies automatically go to the Emperor when the bearer dies. Unfortunately, the Empress at the time gave my title to some random guy who held no territory in the duchy.

I don't have a strong claim on the title so I can't usurp. I didn't have a CB option to press my weak claim on the Duke. I did fight a war for independence from him (and won), so now the Empress is my direct liege. But I still don't see a path to reclaiming the title.

My main questions are:

1. Why didn't I get a strong claim on the Duchy of Trebizond when my heir assumed control?
2. What can I do to reclaim the title? Should I wait until I can press my weak claim on the Duchy? When the current holder dies, won't the Empress just inherit the title again and give it to someone else?
3. What would it take to change the law allowing Duchy Viceroyalties? I think it says Legalism 4; I assume that applies to the Empire's tech level and not my own realm's.
4. Would it just be simpler to become Emperor myself? My current ruler does have a claim on the throne, but I'm pretty far from equaling the Empress in levies, even accounting for a faction I made to install my ruler.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Viceroyalties can be super frustrating. Which is why one of my first goals as a character in the Byzantine Empire is to get a normal, feudal duchy. Conquer land in Italy, the Balkans, Armenia or around the Black Sea.

Oh so the Viceroyalty only applies to De Jure duchies? That simplifies things.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you are a strategos and you hold a theme title, then it's a viceroyalty. You gotta make yourself a doux or a despot if you want to slowly crawl up the ladder without just seizing the entire empire for yourself.

You can make a plot in the intrigue screen to fabricate a claim on your liege's title, and you can form a faction to support your claim against your liege. I think that's how you have to do it if you're up against viceroyalties. You can also press a weak claim if the holder is a woman, incapacitated, or in a regency, so keep plotting assassinations and the viceroyalty will be held by one of those eventually.

Also just suck up to the emperor and he'll maybe just grant you the titles on his own.

It applies to titles that the emperor has formed and given out as viceroyalties, so if you form the title yourself, you're good. The real master play is gobbling up other vassals until you can just declare yourself despot of Greece.

The de jure kingdom of Trebizond is also tiny, so that's a fast way to become a despot.

I started in Trebizond, and my goal was to create the Kingdom but I'm hampered by the fact that I lost the duchy. It sounds like even if I regain the Theme of Trebizond, it'll just revert to the Emperor on my death (since the duchy was already created when the game started). So the only way to become King/Despot would be to acquire both Themes simultaneously, then create the Kingdom. Does that sound right?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
How do I deal with an empowered council?

As Karen I pledged fealty to Samanid, successfully pushed an ultimatum to increase council power, then later let revolt to Overthrow the Shah. For some reason, the council installed me as Shah.

Now, I want to get rid of this loving council and change my succession law away from Elective. I just don't see the path to doing it. They didn't approve on my request to change a council law.

Do I just need to bribe enough members to get favors or is there another way?

• Locked thread