Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The King of Bulgaria took me to war over some pissant little border county. He had 9000 men, I had around 4000 including vassals, so I grabbed some mercs and wandered over in his direction.
Which is when those loving Vikings decided that they were bored of raiding the Meditteranean and beelined towards my provinces.

And then the Bulgarians retreated into their territory and then some peasant scum decided to revolt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Genius, Strong, Attractive half-brother decided to lead a band of adventurers against me.
Being basically an ubermensch, it was impossible to get any decent plot percentage against him, which made me sad.
When he inevitably declared war, not only did 15k troops magically appear in my capital province, but I got the generic pop-up that happens when a member of your court goes off adventuring, with the flavour text for closing the dialogue box being 'good luck'.

:fuckoff:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I had a superman adventurer that was somehow allied to the Abbasid blob declare for the kingdom of Egypt on me once, He landed right on Alexandria and had 0 morale. I captured him and ended the war without even losing a guy. Good Luck!

Yeah, I have about 7k in levies in my capital, so they were able to hang on long enough for everyone else to dogpile my shitlord brother.
He's currently in prison while I debate what to do next. 500 gold would be nice, but he'd be a great Council member again. Plus, I'd quite like to seduce his wife

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You don't need to break a siege to change Commanders.
Just pause, click to move the army, change the commander, cancel the move and unpause. The siege will continue as if nothing happened (except you now have a Siege expert in charge).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Hadaka Apron posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for playing as a Merchant Republic?

As with all things in life Crusader Kings 2, somewhere in Ireland. Dublin 769 is a decent starting spot with the 4 holding slots, otherwise Munster or Ulster (3 or 4 coastal counties in the Duchy) are good.

For something bit less vanilla, you could one of the Baltic pagans. Possibly one of the Khazar Counts on the Black Sea?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Comedy Republic option - a ruler-designed Zoroastrian somewhere in the British Isles.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I started a 769 game as a Ruler-Designed Mongol Jain ruler in Ireland and it's just as hilarious as promised. I'm King of Ireland and a couple of counties shy of controlling all of Scotland and still less than 100 years into the save.
At Medium Centralization, my current ruler can personally hold all but 3 counties in Ireland with Ultimo. I've upgraded to Castles in my whole demesne and am currently working on building Cities everywhere, too. Which means I've got pretty decent levies available.

A wonderful bonus is the Holy Order - 6k troops available as a healthy insurance policy against heathens that means I don't even need to raise my own troops to squash Catholic uprisings :black101:

/\ /\ /\
I've had the event fire twice that I remember - the outcome so far is 1:1

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jwalrus posted:

I've got a question about the stewardship focus. After getting out of tribalism, I got the option to build a castle in one of my provinces for cheap. The province in question had no city or temple. Could I use these events to fill every slot with a castle, or does it not fire if there's two open slots and no city/temple? Seems logical that the latter would be the case, or some similar limitation, but it got me wondering.

This seems to be the code for the event:
code:
trigger = {
		owner = {
			ai = no
			has_focus = focus_rulership
			is_ruler = yes
			is_tribal = no
			wealth = 400
			NOT = { has_character_flag = architect_offer }
		}
		has_empty_holding = yes
		NOT = { has_global_flag = rulership_castle }
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 280
	}

immediate = {
		owner = { set_global_flag = rulership_castle }
		if = {
			limit = { 
				owner = { job_treasurer = { stewardship = 5 } }
			}
			random_list = {
				75 = { 
					owner = { 
						character_event = { id = WoL.12003 }
						set_character_flag = architect_offer
					}
				}
				25 = { 
					owner = { 
						character_event = { id = WoL.12002 }
					}
				}
			}
		}
		if = {
			limit = {
				NOT = { owner = { job_treasurer = { stewardship = 5 } } }
			}
			owner = {
				character_event = { id = WoL.12001 }

I can never seem to read these things right, but someone might make sense of it. I think the last line means that if it's happened to your ruler once, it can't happen again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Mongol Jain Empire of Britannia was just crusaded.
Sadly for the catholic idiots, the Pope led the charge at the first battle.

As it happens, it was also the only battle of the crusade.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Moreau posted:

Is anyone able to explain the mysteries of battle resolution? I just lost 7000 men, and got a -20% warscore malus. I then promptly destroyed the opposing 12000 army, and got a +1% warscore malus. This seems a little unfair!

Was it an army of your enemy you destroyed? The warscore calculations can get a bit screwy where Allies and Hostile forces are involved.
E.g. if I'm Scotland, attacking England for York and they're allies with Cornwall in a war against Wales for Powys, I can get into a fight with Cornwall and wipe them out, but it doesn't technically benefit me (unless they're also allies against me) so my warscore won't go up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Whenever I remember, I stop plots against family members because you will not kill Whatshisface of Whereisitagain.
Anyone else is fair game, or simply a product of my own laziness.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Minor Clan uprisings can be - if not avoided, then averted - if you manage to :ese: the Leader of the uprising.
I get 100% warscore but can't actually end the war, but on the other hand, I suffer nothing but the odd religious uprising of 300-500 men, which are easily dealt with.
Reloading seems to nuke the neverending war, but until then it's all good.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've gotten a decent Zunist start going. Managed to grab the counties around me to form Afghanistan and then steal a couple of Silk Road counties while the Sunni duke next to me had some succession problems.
A bit later, I'm now up to ~20 counties in my realm. The Abbasids have tributaries to the South-East and North-West (although the latter is getting stomped by some nomads and a Zoro uprising) but are themselves facing a hefty rebellion after switching Caliphs 3 times in the last decade.
My heir has 30 Martial base so that's looking good for keeping the conquest going. The main thing I'm hoping for is that the Abbasids lose some more territory so I can push towards Baghdad and try to reform the faith sooner rather than later.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Did they change what happens when you go from Tribal to Feudal? Becoming a Merchant Republic as a Ruler-Designed guy in Ireland, I suddenly got Cities everywhere, with bonus Castles in most holdings.
Not that that stopped a couple of my vassals building Tribal holdings in a few places.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Playing as a Zunist Horse Lord (because why not) and I hope Zun didn't have a busy schedule, what with all the religious revolt leaders he's been judging recently.
You could probably build a palace yurt from all the bones that must be piling up in that place.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just had a syphilitic, lunatic leper take 3rd place in the Grand Tournament.
That makes a wonderful mental image.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
When I let my son form his own Merc Company, I hired him straight away. He gets a small trickle of money from the hire costs, a small trickle of prestige from the fights they take part in and I throw a few gold his way every now and then to let him hire 5 new guys for his troop.

In my Abyssinia game, I just grabbed Sanaa in a Holy War. Best part is, Aden has 3 empty holding slots. :20bux: here I come.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I do find that revolts tend to happen in the same provinces, so you can just park a suitably large army there and ignore them indefinitely.

In my current game as Svitjod, I gave some land in Finland to a guy and then parcelled some more out as and when I needed to reduce my demesne. I am King level, but somehow, he was able to go Independent (no faction) as a Duke.
Any idea how that could have happened?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Started a new game as a Mongol Zunist in Zunbil and ohmygod the expansion potential is bonkers.
At this rate, I may conquer the entirety of the Indian subcontinent within two rulers.
I may need to, too. The Abbasids are solid as they usually are and expanding into the steppes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Abbasids have conquered their way over to the Atlantic Ocean. The 769 Caliph's son, when he took over, had a bunch of sons, most of whom I was able to have assassinated, so when he croaked it, he only had one son left, a mediocre Steward-type.
And... nothing happened. He's still got 22k troops, he's still over his demesne limit, he still got a Short Reign malus... and no-one seems to care.
Where are my Independence revolts, where is the disintegration, where's my loving window of opportunity to invade? :saddowns:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

McGavin posted:

Or you could have your army run around until the Norman stack fights the Norse stack and then mop up the survivors with your full strength army.

One of my most satisfying runs saw me start as Lancaster and try really hard to help out Harold in just such a way that he both won the wars and had his armies more or less decimated in the process.
I came out without losing much manpower and was able to plot for the throne easily.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=555219229

:horse:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've gone back to playing vanilla for the time being, to knock off some achievements in Ironman.
Starting as Dublin in the Charlemagne era, it took me about 20 years to get a claim on Kildare and then less than a week after I took it, my ruler died, leaving me as a 12 year old in a regency.
That kid is now 67, turned Feudal, united Ireland and established a foothold across southern Scotland. In addition to now having territory in Mallorca thanks to a random vassal inheritance.
He also has about 20 children: ten or so from his first marriage that lasted 45 years, then ten or so little bastards fathered after his wife kicked the bucket.
It's all going to go to hell once he dies, and it'll be awesome.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

:crossarms:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It looks like Steam's updated the achievements for Conclave, unless that happened a while back and I didn't notice.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It seems to happen if the target of a plot is particularly unpopular. There's a chance that multiple plots will be going on at a time and one may trigger slightly before the target dies; if so, the target is reset to the Player.
I've never seen one of my characters die as a result, but maybe I've been lucky.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just made 1200 gold from defeating the Caliph in a holy war.
I'm sure another revolt or two are imminent for that newly-bankrupt rear end in a top hat.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
To bump your plots up, my preferred way is to take the Seduction focus and try to seduce every woman (or man) in the court of the person I'm trying to stab. Extra bonus if you can seduce the Spymaster.
[edit]Ugh, I've just noticed you may not have Way of Life. So my advice would be to get Way of Life.

While playing as Sweden, I was able to make Charlemagne my tributary. Which was funny, if not particularly useful for anything.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Defending against a Catholic uprising in the loving Faroes, my ruler decides to ask his friend to join the war.
His friend is the head of the Varangian Guard, so he can't join, but he decides to send some money.
1377 gold in the bank and he sends... 1.

:owned:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The ingame tutorial in CK2 is worse than the Stellaris tutorial by miles.
The best way to learn how to play CK2 is, in all honesty, by watching other people play it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As Emperor of Scandinavia, I made a slight error in judgement in parcelling out Kingdoms and only then passing the law for Kingdom Viceroyalties.
50 years later, the King of Finland joins a faction that gets brutalised when they go to war with me and - after shuffling Council members around - I was able to revoke the title and give the Viceroyalty to someone hopefully less irritating.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Last time, my Court Physician cured me of Syphilis by slicing off my face.
This time, my Court Physician cured me of typhus by making me run naked through the woods during a full moon.

No pain, no gain, eh?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, this kid never really had a chance.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Only problem with, say, 769 start Byzantium, is that most Ducal titles are Viceroyalties.
I hope you know how to make the Emperor like you!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Finding out that you can sign Non-Aggression treaties with your own vassals was nice.
Makes those awkward succession periods a little less exciting (in a good way).
Plus, you've still got the option to :ese: if you get bored of seeing their ugly faces around.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Having started as Count of Chios in 769, it's now the late 10th Century and I've finally managed to get a totally-not-a-viceroyalty Duke-or-above title of my own. By kicking my cousin off the throne of a very odd-looking Kingdom of Bavaria.
I was close to being able to grab a title 50 years ago or so, by fabricating --> warring towards Cilicia, but the Basileus declared Holy War before I got the last claim.

Not sure what the next step is - I'm aiming to be Basileus at some point - but I reckon expanding where I can and building up my forces within the Empire gives me the best chance of that for now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Viking age kicked off when I was at 45 holdings as Sweden.
Never mind - gave some Counts their independence and Prepared an Invasion on France-occupied Saxony. 26000 angry bearded dudes later (okay, more like 20000 once a few had died from attrition while waiting for me to invade :ughh: ) and Saxony is mine!
76 holdings, woo!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I seem to be a bit stuck - I upgraded to Feudalism and my holdings upgraded with me, then I inherited some still Tribal holdings and I can't find a way to upgrade those. No buttons, no decisions...
I'm in Pictland, and everything's Catholic.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Zero One posted:

Some Google work last night and I found that it might be bugged so you can't do it yourself. If you give away the county the new count should be able to convert it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/upgrading-tribal-holding-does-not-have-a-settlement-construction.973003/

Thanks. I gave the counties away, console-d myself the money to pay for the Hillforts, had the Counts killed once they converted and it's sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
100 years into my game as Pictland.
My first, ruler-designed, King had the start of the Immortality chain fire within 6 months of the 769 start. He got safely to the last part and then kicked the bucket, leaving a whole bunch of negative traits (and, of course, not the positive genetic trait) to his reincarnation. Cue a 16 year regency spent on max speed, followed by some rapid expansions. That guy also had the Immortality chain fire - I went along with the first few bits and then an antelope bit his hand off and he died from his wounds a couple of months later, leaving me with a 6-month regency.

Since then, succession has been a bit more sedate and expansion has been a bit more energetic. I'm a few counties off being able to form Britannia, the Council and at least 60% of vassals loathed the last King and the current crown-wearer isn't anything to write home about, so I'm expecting another slew of civil wars for random poo poo.

Also, Rome is held by a Tengri ruler. Why is the Pope so utterly useless?

• Locked thread