Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I didn't actually check to see if the fylkirate dissolves when someone of an organized religion holds it, but I would bet money that it will.

It doesn't dissolve, just randomly passes to someone else.
I suppose it's possible to get it back with enough stabbing but if you can grant it to your heir like a normal title that'll be much easier.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty sure raiders will only burn down a holding if it's currently in construction. Once it's up, it's up. You can raid day one with your personal levies in the 867 start, but that costs money, and you'll quickly go into debt. You could park vassal levies and retinues on Rome indefinitely with no consequence, but the Pope may have built a church or two by the time you manage to get that set up, because it could take decades. De jure claiming Rome as Lombardy on day 1 in 769 is the only surefire way that I've thought up. And I always bounce between Welsh and Hungarian. The welsh cultural attack is amazing, but so is the invasion cb.

Nope! You have a chance to destroy a holding if it has no buildings left in it!

Though even with $$$pope bucks$$$ toned down, he is still pretty rich and build improvements pretty fast...even constantly being on fire probably wouldn't hurt his income enough to realistically get rid of one and almost certainly not more than one

It is pretty easy however to straight up take Rome in the first year or so with any of the 867 Norse starts that start with $500 and boats, it's also not terribly difficult to hold on to

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 20, 2015

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It was from a game a long time ago but I remember getting kinslayer from a blot sacrifice. Did that get changed at some point?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

There's no fuckin' way you were ever doing world conquest in 25 years even when game came out sorry. I've been playing since release and you're just talking nonsense.

I mean its old, and I've posted it in this thread before, but here's a guy doing it in 9 years, post RoI

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-break-ck2-for-world-conquest.776096/

There was one ~25 years starting as nantes I believe

edit: oh whoops the short version was already posted on this page!

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2015

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Well again yeah if you start with the Golden Horde or literally half of Europe as a Karling who inherits the other countries then it isn't very hard. And what he is doing could arguably be called taking advantage of exploits :shrug:

I mean yeah it's cool but it definitely takes advantage of game quirks and a very good starting situation. If you're doing a trick to ensure someone gets imprisoned though why not just 'imprison 541618' at that point? At some point he illustrates how to abuse a mechanic for infinite piety. And effectively infinite prestige.

And then he uses the inheritance fuckery and the prestige/piety exploits to become a pagan with most of Europe already conquered and free tribal invasion CBs. Don't get me wrong it is an interesting read but it's hardly a fair example of how Paradox nerfs perfectly legit play strategies. Whining about how the banish change wrecks your favorite play style (which abuses exploits) while at the same time saying using the console is for retards is lol as gently caress.

I'm talking about starting as a regular chump in Ireland or whatever. No way you're doing a world conquest in 25 years and it isn't a reasonable thing to expect.

Yeah it's exploity, I was just pointing it out because your post kind of implied it wasn't possible. There was definitely a Nantes start that did it in 25 years or less, and that's a single county count start that was entirely conquest based, plenty of exploits but none to just inherit half the map.

I agree that telling people they are playing the game wrong for using the console is dumb, but telling people they are playing the game wrong for using exploits or because they like nk or whatever is just as dumb.
What other people do in their single player doesn't bother me for some reason.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Are prepared invasions broken right now? Just started up a game as Haesteinn, declared an invasion on Italy and got exactly 0 dudes for it in the full 2 years.

edit: Tried again, and once again 0.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 23, 2015

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

You stop getting troops entirely if your armies are four times larger than your target's current armies. Maybe the Italian king didn't have access to much?

I had ~5k available inculding mercs and he had ~4.5k iirc, I had more but very slightly and certainly nowhere near 4x. I was not a duke however so maybe that's what did me in.
Either way seems like a pretty massive nerf from what it used to be.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Clearly you need to get rid of those 2 disapproving dukes :ese:

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maximum incest

I think maximum would be more like if you had a son with her. Then he takes over and marries his sister-mother who has another girl that would be his sister-daughter-niece. Obviously he would then marry her for the divinest marriage.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
More provinces, like lots more. I want to play nomadic aboriginal Australians and invade china with a horde of emu cavalry.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Are they de jure part of your empire yet? Your empire CA only sort of matters to kingdoms that haven't drifted into it yet.

Edit: It's weird and annoying and doesn't make a ton of sense in lots of situations but that's how it works

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 22, 2015

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It's de jure Andalusia in the CM and Old Gods starts.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Is the "Forbid to Lead Armies" button broken in CK2Plus? My guy seems to get called up for every stupid peasant rebellion and minor scuffle the realm gets involved in despite it being clicked. It's going to gently caress me over because after 5 years I haven't had a singular chance to stay home get an heir.

Unless ck2+ changes it, leading armies doesn't have an effect on you getting an heir. Your sperm can travel great distances back to your court no matter where you are in the world, so long as you aren't imprisoned.
It does increase your chances of untimely death or becoming a vegetable though.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I the game I'm playing right now The Papacy lost Rome to a peasant revolt which created an independent Theocracy of Rome that survived quite a while before The Papacy took it back. It's not inconceivable that something similar could happen and then that peasant leader get elected.
His claim there may even tell you where it happened.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Drifting large kingdoms can have a bit of a downside if you go on to Empire blob size.
If you keep the king title you will have a ton of duke vassals running up your limit, and a lot of "desires the Kingdom of Lithuania" opinion malus.
If you give away the title you have a super king that will end up hating you because he wants your capital duchy/county, unless you've moved them outside the kingdom.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Well what does it say when you mouse over the confirm button with the title you want to revoke selected?

You can definitely revoke titles from merchant republics but they will always go to war with you over it.
Are you sure it's not "special reason to revoke"? It is possible you have a truce with him specifically in which case I believe you need a claim on the title in order to revoke it, him being in your prison isn't enough, though I think it should let you revoke a single title from him first.
Otherwise could be an autonomous vassals law for whatever kingdom he is de jure part of. I've also seen cases where a title cannot be revoked until 'x' date (without a truce) but I am not sure exactly what causes that.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

The Revoke option is greyed out, because he doesn't have any titles that can be revoked. When I go to the title itself, I get this.

Odd indeed, maybe it's a nomad thing? Haven't played them much.
I know the republic of Amalfi in the 867 start would live on for a while even after you took their land and created the duchy of Salerno because it was a separate title not actually attached to the duchy. I am pretty sure it was still revocable though.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
They also like to change from religion to religion pretty often and suddenly.
The Khazars went Buddhist for quite a while in my current game, and then one of them decided to settle down in the west to create Khazar Buddhist not-Hungary before the remaining nomads swapped back to Sunni again.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Just so I don't nuke my current game, the [2.4.5] beta is yesterdays version of CKII right?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It has a chance to pop up if any non-pict holds a pictish county. So the best way to prevent it would be to ethnically cleanse all non-picts from the world.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Well the MTTH for the pict->scot event is 100 years by itself, if you are already Scottish though I think you'd be double dipping into the regular culture conversion event as well

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 16, 2016

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Weirdly, I don't even have the option. It's Found a New Empire (at 8000 prestige) or nothing :smith:.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone. First order of business once I get home will be dropping Tribalism, though I'll miss being able to go make dinner or something while my vassals do my work for me.

Unrelatedly, my ruler called someone trying to forge a claim a "narrow-minded clubfoot" last night, and for some reason that's making me laugh for far longer than it should

Creating Britannia won't show up under the intrigue menu, those decisions are only for the "custom" kindgoms/empires.
If you can create it you will get a "title can be created" notification at the top of your screen. However, you need 80% of the land so you'd probably have to control a fair bit of England as well as Ireland and Scotland.
If you want to check how close you are, you can look up the title in the title finder (bottom right, beside the person finder) and it will show the requirements (and what % of the land you control).

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Separate player and AI "No means no!" flags is probably a good idea so that it's still possible for the player to fail to seduce a target but doesn't limit the availability of other targets.
I think most of the complaints about it are about the AI behaviour anyway even if it can be sort of overpowered for the player. If it ends up that you have a hard time finding desirable targets it'll just end up that nobody uses that focus because it doesn't really offer anything else.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
So I fired up CK2 for the first time in awhile and went ahead to declare a prepared invasion against France.

I had 6 "renowned heroes" show up....all of them named Ormr.

These 5 commanders + 1 I made marshal.

I am guessing this is some sort of bug but I like to imagine that they all showed up at the gates claiming to be the same mythical hero :allears:
This game sometimes.

Unfortunately 3 of them died in glorious combat but I guess that proves they were imposters.

Also got the immortal chain as Ragnarr but failed at the last step. :(

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I think scottish only forms if Pictoand doesn't exist, so you'd have to make a new kingdom and destroy pictland. To get England faster just get someone with a claim on the english throne elected doge then press it. Also if your family members get claims on the lesser duchies (Marry them to people) and you press them they automatically become your vassal.

Unless it's changed in the last couple expansions it happens when a non-pict holds pictish land, if SurreptitiousMuffin wants to be Scottish they need to culture change to something else first, or land some non-picts.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
The point about making elective more transparent making it less lovely is a pretty good one. I originally thought it worked mostly off opinion, but then, as people have mentioned, some idiot nobody with no prestige, 0 diplomacy and a bunch of negative traits always inevitably ends up as one generation's prime candidate. Without knowing anything about why it really just feels like there is some "gently caress the player" modifier going on for staying in elective for more than 1 succession.

Ultimo #1 best law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
If you have already reformed you probably want to focus on the British isles and west Europe since you'll have lost the immunity to pagan attrition until you can tech up.

My favourite start there is as Sigurd Ring. Divorce your wife and subjugate her dad. Then imprison and execute him. Since he has no heirs you get his land. Now move your capital and use the "Become king of Norway" ambition to gobble up pretty much all of Scandinavia (since Sjaelland controls part of Norway you get to take Denmark too unless something goes screwy with his inheritance). This should put you into a good position to reform well before 800. If you rush a point in shipbuilding you can usually get raiding Ireland about 10-13 years early.

Kinda gamey but not having any other kids as Sigurd will make sure Ragnarr inherits everything. If one of them does the weirdness scholarship chain and you're got a decent spymaster it's possible to get late feudal and switch inheritance laws before Ragnarr dies.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 28, 2017

• Locked thread