Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Welp, this sale has me thinking I'll pick up all the major 75% off stuff I'm missing and dust this game off and play it again for the first time in over a year. Is there a nice summary of the stuff Way of Life added/changed somewhere? That is the one I'm most interested in but can't find much about besides "adds lots of neat events".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whats a good easy, small duke level start that isn't loving Ireland Tutorial Island? I wanna get back into this game easily, but I don't wanna play Ua'Brien again. Charlemagne to crusaders, whatever works.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Castille? Were you playing Leon?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak posted:

Yes. The tiny and pathetic never changing, completely surrounded by assholes Leon.

Let's change that.

Restart as the Kingdom of Leon.

Now, note your two neighbors. The Kingdoms of Castille and Galacia. They are ruled by Kings Sancho and Garcia respectively. They are your brothers. You have strong claims to both their Kingdoms (meaning these claims will pass down to your children). They have the same for your Kingdom.

You have no children, they have no children. Should any of the three of you die while still childless, one of the other brothers will inherit their kingdom.

Do you see where I'm going with this? :ese:

Plot to murder the King of Castille, then the King of Galacia. Should you fail to sneakily murder them before they have children, kill them anyways, then murder the child while he's weak in a regency. Try not to get caught, no one likes a Kinslayer.

Otherwise, you can launch a war for the crown.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alternatively you can banish yourself to Ireland Tutorial Island and try your hand as the Duke of Munster Petty King of Mumu to unite the Emerald Isle under your power. There is a decent guide here.

However the basic steps are:

• Plot to revoke the county of your Vassal, he's a dirty foreigner, Ireland for the Irish! :ireland: (edit: didn't there use to be an :ireland:?)
  • Press your De Jure claim on Desmond/Deasmhumhain and make him your vassal.
    (you can do the above in either order, you should have enough troops to defeat either of them first)
  • Start working towards seizing the Duchy of Dublil (Dublin and Kildare/Cill Dara) via claim fabrication. (Dublin is the richest province in Ireland so you'll want to keep this one for yourself and probably move your capital there one day)
  • Gain control of 51% of Ireland by hook or crook. (claim fabrications, inviting claimants to your court and then pressing their claim, marriage/murder shenanigans, etc)
  • Form the Kingdom of Ireland
  • Demand vassalage from the rest of the counties, beat up any of them that refuse.
  • Cast your greedy gaze towards Wales, Scotland, and Mann.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Having to siege out some rear end in a top hat's county bit by bit is so annoying. Your army is crushed and your castle has fallen, you're beaten you jerk, just give up. Don't make me seige the town and church too. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak posted:

Foolish boy. You though you could besiege my castle with a measly 500 men after my initial attack failed. I simply waited. I am Sancha The Cruel. They sing songs about the days that I have ridden into battle and returned with a scarlet sword. I raised my levies 1600 strong and crushed you. The Duchy of Leon will be mine again.

...yes I am starting to get into this.

It takes a wihle, but you'll get used to, it. Continue to be a stabby bastard, on the battlefield and in the shadows! The real Crusader Kings Starts Here! :getin:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 5, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got a question of my own.

In my own new game, I started out as the Count of Deheubarth with the intention of Unifying Wales. I've successfully claimed the southern counties of Wales (excluding the Cornwall region) and have claims on two of the northern counties, but not the third. That third county is ruled by a vassal of the Petty King of the North Wales. If I press my current claims and win, will that county go independent (and thus not part of any truce), or will the Petty King of North Wales just seize control of that last county from his vassal?

If it is the former, I think I might want to wait until I get that claim fabricated, I'd prefer to seize Wales in one swoop rather than get stuck waiting out a 10 year truce. At the same time though, my Chancellor's fabrication hotstreak seems to have died out...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

McGavin posted:

He'll seize control of the county from his vassal and you won't be able to attack him because of the truce.

Bah. Truces are with individual leaders, right? He might have to have an... accident shortly after the end of that war (or at least after I get that claim).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, things are going well in my Welsh game. My first song just came of age and is pretty awesome. Shopping around for marriages, I've got a 15 y/o Scottish Princess far down the line of succession I could go for and develop some future claims for Scotland for my line. Alternatively, newly independent England's King has a 12 year old daughter I could try for and only one (younger son). However England is already starting to fracture and I'm unsure if he'll hold onto that power (Though I dunno how claims work in this instance).

Part of me is hesitant to tie myself via alliance to what'll probably be a war-torn England. So I'm leaning towards Scotland. Any advice? I'm not really used to marriage shenanigans, my past (typically short lived, 1-2 generations/~100 years) games have mostly been fabrication conquests (Munster, Apulia)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have another "how does this work" question regarding marriage/inheritance shenanigans.

I just noticed I have an unmarried, childless, depressed middle-aged courtier with a claim on Dublin. If I marry him to a chaste woman in her 40s (unlikely to produce an heir), press his claim, and he dies childless (whether by a plot, time, or suicide) will I inherit Dublin as his liege, or will it go to some distant family member of his? He has no brothers and the only two living members of his family are two cousins in my court (one a bishop, the other a courtier).

If his family inherits, will murdering the non-Bishop cousin solve the issue, since he is childless as well? Though the cousin is matrilinearly married to one of my kinswomen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, you can click the title in question then select history and see when you took the throne.

Also, my Dublin plan hosed up, he won't become my vassal since I am not de Jure liege of Dublin. Time to reload. Learning experiences!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Take heart, when you eventually do finish this game, you'll have learned a lot from this school of hard knocks.

Meanwhile, I've unified Wales in all but name, just building up some cash to create the titles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They'll show up on your (or any) ruler/character's page below your titles. Wars will show up in the same place.

My suggestion is once you're done with this game, try your hand at the whole "Unite Ireland" thing as Mumu or Dublin in 1066 (set 15th stamford bridge start). You should be able to apply your lessons there pretty well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The rng Lord works in mysterious ways. :v:

[edit] Hmmm, should I go Primogeniture or Tanistry for the Kingdom of Wales. Anyone got experience with Tanistry?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And yet you lose prestige for refuse to go sleeping around your court!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It is a bit late, I went for Scotland.

Formed Wales, my Scottish allies called me into a de jure Galloway war to take the petty kingdom of Soreyar or whatever that controlled Mann and some other minor Scottish territories. Whatever I'll accept and then not do anything.

Then Scotland explodes into a multi-war civil war, and I can't particpiate because of this stupid de jure war with Soreyar. :argh: At first I was gonna raise troops to quickly crush them, but then Norway got into a three-way fight with England and France over control of England, so I instead used the opportunity to snipe Devon from them in a de Jure war while keeping an eye on the Scottish scuffle.

Won Devon, the original King of Scotland was deposed, civil war continued though between ursurper factions, but the King being defeated meant I could now join the fray. My 8-9k strong Welsh army was easily able to sweep aside the few battered armies left fighting in Scotland and put my daughter-in-law on the throne. I don't know how long she'll hold it, though I guess with my support she should hopefully be able to hold it long enough for my grandson to inherit.

Finally got a fabricated claim on Cornwall (this is why I de Jured Devon instead, I want to put a family member in as the Duke of Cornwall), except I've got another 10 year truce and I'm not sure 61 y/o Cadwgan will survive the next ~5 years. And I can't get enough plot power to murder the king of Norway.

Meanwhile the first Crusade happened and Croatia now rules the Levant and France now rules England.

Already starting to feel kinda samey with my experiences in the past though. Especially since I'm still not sure how to reliably expand once De Jure claims run out and claim fabrication becomes prohibitive (cornwall cost me 200 gold!). The marriage market around here sucks. Got my daughter married to the 3rd prince of Castille, but attempts at stabbing went nowhere and she died from sickness before producing a child.

Thinking of setting this save aside for a while and trying something very different and playing an Old Gods/Norse/Pagan game or maybe a Merchant republic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Goofballs posted:

Well if you murder that person it will reset the war cooldown.

I should've been more clear, the King of Norway is the liege of Cornwall and he is the one I have truce with (and can't get enough plot power to kill, as I said).

I think I'll go with a Viking game and stay as far away from those miserable British islands as possible. [edit] I'm also a little disappointed Cadwgan never earned an epitaph. Dude unifies wales for the first time in a century or two(?) and nothing.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak posted:

yeah i leave it running when I'm alt-tabbed reading forums at like speed 2 or 3 if I'm not at war and I've already set up all my betrothals etc. Then I can hear popups and go see what happened.

Man speed 2 is what I tend to leave it at when I AM paying attention.

So for playing Vikings, I thinking of going as Eystein Halfdansson of Oppland, head of the Yinglings. Something tells me I'll be doomed since I'm a 1 county minor and there are several stronger powers nearby. But C'mon, this guy's nickname was Eystein Fart according to wikipedia. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak posted:

I generally play at speed 3 unless I'm just waiting for money to accumulate. I mean, I spent most my game trying to claw my way from being a Duke to being a King, and there was a lot of waiting involved. There's not many great marriages available for your relatives when you're a duke.

True, there is less going on at that point than when you're the independent (Petty) King of South Wales/King of Wales poking around for marriages, keeping an eye on what everyone else on the islands is doing, and wondering why your second son is suddenly a sodomite and who just had your awesome spymaster murdered. :tinfoil:

Though speaking of spymaster poo poo, next time you find yourself a poo poo-tier duke/count vassal to someone more powerful, try the Intrigue focus.

quote:

I don't understand the design choice to have plot strength portrayed as a percentage. If you're going to do that, 100% and above should mean the plot works or is at least attempted. Now that I know it doesn't mean that, I'm less frustraited with it, but I think it's a baffling decision. There's lots of arbitrary numbers that aren't percents, and it could just be another one of those.

Uh, I thought it had to be over 100% to have a chance to fire? With the higher the % (over 100) the more likely it is to fire? :downs:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Could always try destabilizing the local caliphate with a well placed :ese:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Roleplaying your ruler's traits is the funnest way to play.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I just started that Oppland 769 game. First order of business is, of course, a wife. Except there are no noble women available, just a large parade of randomized 16 y/o courtiers. Don't Vikings really like having prestige, so that -200 prestige for marrying a lowborn courtier is a nasty blow?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alright fair enough, I thought I read that the Vikings use prestige as a currency almost as much as Gold.

Also, what should I do with my court chaplain? With no pope to butter up to, no heretics/heathens (nearby) to convert, and similar no one nearby to holy war with, I dunno what to do with this guy. Just build zeal anyways and hope the event doesn't fire?

[edit] The present Debutante thing only costs 1 gold and produces a noblewoman, might as well hit the slots a few times and see if I get a decent wife. [edit] Whoops, still -200. Oh well, got an attractive wife on the third try, so hey! Decent wife for 3 gold? What a Deal.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that does suck, the Colleciton Was put out... then they kept making more DLC. Several Paradox games are like that. A nasty blemish on a game that otherwise does DLC pretty drat right (unnecessary cosmetic stuff + big gameplay changes). I know its little consolation, but at least the fall/Thanksgiving sale is only a couple months away? :shobon:

Welp, my would-be viking game is over already. Counquered two other minors. While rebuilding my levies to take a two-county minor, the first guy I beat up rounded up an adventurer party and crushed me with over 2:1 odds. Then another dude smelled the blood in the water and subjugation warred me. I would've lost even if my levies were fully replenished (They weren't only my home county was full). How am I supposed to deal with that?

I tried plotting to kill him, but no one at the court he was in wanted to. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Reloaded my Viking game to try a different tactic, defending in a different location, in a foolish attempt to squeeze a victory somehow out of 2:1 odds. That failed. Tried again, then I noticed that when he forms his host and starts the march... he has councilors! Councilors that can be bought, and he has chosen his spymaster poorly.

It takes nearly all the gold I have, but two of his council are bribed. I position my army in my home county. I know he'll strike his old territory first, it will be sacrificed to buy time. If he takes it, he'll head for my home, where my army will dash themselves against him to buy more time. He reaches his former home and starts his siege, but at the same time, word reaches me from his spymaster that the plan is set. An archery ambush. All I can do is wait and hope success comes before he devastates one of my holdings.

Just before the siege finishes, success! The bastard is killed in our ambush! With no leader to hold them together, his band of mercenaries and adventurers cease their attack and disperse to find fortune and glory elsewhere. Eystein Fart lives to rule another day! Praise be to Odin, or Loki, or whichever of the gods has favored me!

And this is why Crusader Kings is awesome and there is no problem that can't be solved by murder. :black101:

[edit] Hahaha, his two sons apparently have fallen into my care (guess the army left them behind? :v:), 2 and 1 year old each, respectively. They still have claims to my land. Perhaps more murder is required...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ruler designer, maybe?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is weird, I thought you inherit a courtier's gold if they die with no living relatives? In an interesting event, the two children of that guy who lead and adventuring party against me not only ended up in my court, but one of them has a shitton of gold (~450). No idea where that came from, guess he got it from daddy, who got it from the same place he got almost 2000 glory seekers from (thin air).

I murdered the younger son first, then the older one, but the money just vanished. :( I wasn't implicated in either of their deaths, so what gives?

I really need money. I made the mistake of expanding aggresively and now I'm badly over my demense limit and my shits grinding to a halt. And the two temple vassals I picked up along the line are voting for my shittastic nephew instead of my newborn heir.

I need like 150 gold to form a Duchy title so I can actually give land out without losing it and make progress. I've got like 10 or so gold and make less rougly 5 a year. What is a 769 Viking to do for cash before he can go raiding? It'll take another 15+ years to "get boats" based on what I read, I'd rather not sit there and twiddle my thumbs waiting for that while watching the other powers (who have Jarl titles) blob up and hoping one of them decides to burn their freebie subjugation on flattening me.

Not sure whether to reload to shortly after I murdered that rear end in a top hat and expand more cautiously or just ride it out (maybe murder my nephew).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to banish adventurers without incurring tyranny, upon which you'll seize their money.

Sadly their father was the adventurer, these two kids just count as normal courtiers. When I assassinated their father to prevent his host from pushing their poo poo in, I guess they inherited his war chest and moved into my court because I control their former homeland.

I guess I could imprison/banish the one with the cash, but I'm not sure I wanna take such a nasty double-dip of Tyranny. And sadly the Intrigue Focus "Sy On" thing can't be used on kids, so I can't try to kidnap him that way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, what is this about a fertility penalty based on court size?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak, I love how much you're starting to get into the spirit of things. Can't wait to see how you do once you finish your current game and can apply all you've learned to a fresh start. Also, for money problems you can try sending your court chaplain to Rome to butter up to the Pope and then beg him for money. Unless he's a fresh pope they tend to be loving rich as poo poo.

Meanwhile, my Viking game is going just swell. I ended up biting the bullet and engaging in a little tyranny, imprisoning that 3 year old with 450 gold and then banishing him to confiscate it. The -40 hit sucked, but it was quickly overshadowed thanks to my stellar traits/diplomacy and the fact I handed out titles to all my Court officials. Then I went and conquered most of Norway and then crushed a minor independence faction rebellion. To celebrate a held a lovely party and gave thanks to Odin, the highlight of the sacrifices was one of the rebellious chiefs. :black101:

This was extremely satisfying for some reason. Rebel against me will you?

Afterwards, I just finished conquering Norway and kinda saved up money to form a second Jarl/Duke title and then created the Kingdom. Huzzah. 14 years of hard work and murdering people on the battlefield and in the shadows.

However, my attention is already starting to wane for some reason. Thinking about setting the game aside for now and trying something else, maybe a Merchant Republic or starting as the count of a large nation for full Game of Thrones/Machiavellianism politics and intrigue.

[edit] Also, holy poo poo are severe winters murder on out-of-supply troops. I sent 800 men marching through one of my border counties during witner to conquer the last bit of Norway (that finkmark place way at the top), apparently an event had basically eliminated the supply level of that province. I saw the skull and thought "Eh, I'll lose a few men, but no biggie".

Barely 200 men reached the other side of that county. :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 8, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One mechanic I remember from the original Crusader Kings that I've never noticed in CK2... do people still get beatified or canonized for Santhood? I've never seen it happen.

I remember this one time playing a game in CK1 where I had this real bitch of an aunt who caused me nothing but pain during a character's entire life until I finally had her murdered. She got the last laugh, as despite being an awful person with awful traits a few years after her death the Pope announced her beatification. :psyduck:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno about that, but you should just be able to pass out the County "And lower titles" (or whatever the toggle option is) and the newly minted Count will distribute the towns and temples in his county automatically.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I've gone back to my Wales game for now and I really need the King of Norway to die so my truce with him (5years left) can be dissolved so I can conquer Cornwall using my Fabricated claim before my 61 year old king kicks the bucket. Unfortunately my plot to kill him has stalled at 89% and no one else seems interested. What can I do to kill this jerk?

I've sent my chancellor to try to sow dissent in his capital, but that hasn't produced useful results so far. I thought of have having him excommunicated, but the Pope doesn't want to. Not sure what else to do.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 10, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

More than half my prestige! Over 1600! I have a high score to set! The Resign screen taunts me!

And I will not have the man who unified Wales be known as a Trucebreaker. I may want an epitaph, but not that badly. :colbert:

There are also two Welsh Culture Counties currently controlled by England France on the other side of my border, but they're no longer de jure parts of Wales. Not sure how to take them over, marriage plots I guess, but one is ruled by a kid and the other refuses to let my kin marry a granddaughter well down the line of succession because "he desires a better alliance". A nobody count wants a better alliance than loving Kingdom of Wales? :argh:

Too bad neither of them has useful claimants.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, I just realized my court has almost 70 people in it. Whats the easiest way to clear house of some of the useless ones?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hammy posted:

I like having lots of courtiers running around, makes it easy to find good councillors, educators, plotters, whatever you need.

Yeah that is nice, except most of them have lousy stats and the fertility penalty means I barely have any under 30-40. This is gonna be a nasty die-off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The second King of Wales dies of depression the day a feast he held ends. Must've been a great party.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If I am not a member of a Kingdom, is there any way for me to see who supports who in the Elective Monarchy? I've been patiently waiting for France and England to split apart after Henri II Capet dies, but a while back I noticed that both kingdoms are now going to be inherited by the same guy. Unfortunately the inheritor is rather popular, so plots to assassinate him have failed to gather any momentum. I figure the next thing I could try is to plot to kill those who support the dude inheriting the English throne as well as the French throne. Kill the voters and hope their replacements vote another way. But I don't know who to target.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

If I'm using the subjugation Casus Belli and the person I am at war with offers peace before I conquer all counties, do I get complete control of them since I'm subjugating, or just the conquered counties? I want to know if I can save myself some gold.

Isn't White Peace a "Ok, war is over, nothing changes hands but no one really admits they lost" thing? Meaning you won't gain anything,? Or does it work differently for subjugation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Uhhhhhh, guys, kill the Muslims, not my family. :cripes:

[edit]

Thanks for losing us the Crusade, Templars & Company! Your plan to keep sieging a useless county instead of reinforcing a losing, but nearly even fight you could've turned into a crushing victory was truly a brilliant tactical decision. Enjoy being crushed by the guys who just murdered us. :rant:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 11, 2015

• Locked thread