Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Why make a new thread with an op that is entirely out of date? Nothing on there is current at all.

They mention horse lords

E: looks like mods are better explained too.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Depends what you want. From what I can tell:

Way of life is all around fun. It adds roleplaying events and is well regarded.

Old gods gives you an earlier start date and lets you play as pagans.
Sword of Islam lets you play Muslims.
Republic lets you play republics.
Rajasthan of India let's you play Indians.

Sons of Abraham gives Christians more stuff to play with and lets you play jewish rulers
Legacy of Rome gives you retinues and maybe stuff for Byzantium?
Sunset invasion gives you a fun late game invasion for Western Europe.

Charlemagne gives you a new start date, some events if you play Charlemagne himself and the ability to create custom kingdoms and empires. I'll probably be buying it just for custom kingdoms and empires because I hear the rest isn't too good.

Somebody let me know if I made a mistake.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

Why's that?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Can confirm that Jain Mongols is in fact the most insanely powerful thing in the game.

I've heard this a lot, can somebody explain it?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So I know Bad Stuff happens if you borrow money from the merchants and expel them, but what happens if you borrow money and your liege expels them?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Goofballs posted:

What I find off is when you can imprison someone for a legitimate reason a lot of the time you can't banish or execute them without taking a hit to your reputation.

isn't imprisoning them enough?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Well, my first proper game of CK2, starting in Dublin ends like so:

Bit earlier, but shot of Europe in general

My biggest errors were only realising these about 250 years in:

- I only really fabricated claims for so long, just sat about waiting. Once I understood inviting claimants and pressing those of my vassals and kinsmen as well as helping to overthrow rulers I had truces with, I was at war a lot more, in the pictures above I managed to eat most of Norge in 30 years after taking 300 to set foot there.

- How to economically use your army! I used to just raise all my levies and then wait for my money to regenerate and everyone to stop hating me. Once I knew to be sparing with my personal levies and to abuse the goodwill of vassals who like me, I could hop from war to war.

- As king, you can claim duchies and take them in one fell swoop. I was going take county>wait out truce>take county>wait out truce for ages.

I'm a little CK2-ed out unsurprisingly but I'm going to try another Dublin game when i come back to it to see how I do, I'm cringing at how long it took me to eat up Ireland and half of Scotland just by waiting for the fabricated claim thing to fire :downs:

Congrats! I've yet to go through a full game (100 hours lol) but that's very cool! You should convert it to eu4 and see where that gets you

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy posted:

Actually we have a beta who can manage to conquer the entire world in like a couple of years. 3-8 years or something depending on the Rng.

Guy should do an lp

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That's pretty hosed up

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm the count of Najera and Viscay, and I take the county of Navarra. I own all the counties needed to usurp the Kingdom of Navarra but I'm not independent so I can't do that. Before I can get independent the King of Navarra gets his recently weakened from being attacked rear end kicked by some muslims and the title is destroyed. I figure I'll have to create the title later. I'm above my demense limit so I give Navarra to my son. Later I get independence from the duke I'm under, but my son is still his vassal (:doh:) then I'm granted the duchy of Navarra, and get Independence from Asturias through a war. The duke who holds the county of Navarra rebells against his liege so I fight him to grab Navara back. 90% war score, civil war ends. Alright. I wait 10 years for that truce with the king to expire. I declare war, I'm 65 and the other king is 62 so I rush it as much as possible and get 90% warscore. The king dies and his realm is split up into a few kingdoims such that Navarra is a vassal of Castile instead of Asturias, thus my war ends inconclusively. So there's a new king, no truce. I go again, finally get Navarra and then I see this little thing in the kingdom creation screen I missed before "You need two duchies to create a kingdom title"

:argh:

It's not all bad though I'm still a free duke. That said, my petty squabbling destabilized the Christians in Spain enough that I'm now surrounded by the Umayyads so how much longer I remain a free duke is questionable. At some point even my grandkid was like "Why are we fighting Catholics" and truth be told that kid had a better grip on the situation than I did.

tl;dr I played cat and mouse for the kingdom of Navarra for like 50 years and all I got was a Duchy and a huge muslim blob.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I saw the mod on the Steam Workshop, looked at the title, and said "Nope".

edit: This is one of the preview images.

-30 is like less than the opinion malus for imprisoning a subject

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This is the Steppe Wolf we've always dreamed of

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TTBF posted:

I'm not going to spoil what goes on, but the wolf event chain is loving bizarre. It's almost Secret Bear levels of bizarre, except it's actually in the game.

What is secret bear?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Paradox please put in japan, south east asia, indonesia but don't put in china. Leave a giant china shaped hole in the map. Put in the rest of north africa for real though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's with that book pressed into your hand event chain? It always seems like it should do something cool but gives "scholar" every time. Is that how it should be or have I just been fooled by RNG?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

For some reason my game has slowed to a crawl. I'm less than 100 years in and it takes a few minutes to get through a year at top speed.

Unrelated question: my neighbors are Cathars, how do I also become Cathar?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good post for page 69

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is the eye off the face trait genetic?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is the mediterranean Portraits one particularly bad? I think I've heard that before

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I usually delete and rebuy CKII when my last dynasty member dies so I can understand why it's frustrating when other people use weird console cheats to play another game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What about Skraeling?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean he never said it wasn't china

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If you can provide proof you live in Scandinavia you can get even more norse features.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's the trouble with sunset invasion?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well I mean, that's what it's there for.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm trying to hand out a bunch of land to one guy but after I gave him the first chunk of land there's apparently no landed title I can grant him

What gives

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's exciting to see you getting into it. I didn't really know what I was doing until I tried a few times.

I did an Irish start with a lot of save scuming and it helped me learn a lot because I could experience failure from ignorance but then go back at it with proper knowledge.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

See if you can play the petty duke game for the full game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think you might be able to kill close family if a special reason comes up.

Regarding plot power: I once found a thing online about how long it takes for an assassination attempt to be made on average. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

I think it was something like 6 years for 100% plot power.

Granted that's just an attempt, no certainty of success.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

to make matters worse it actually only needs 50% to fire, but the MTTH is very low until you get to 100%

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

When I played in Spain I spent so long screwing around with the Christian realms that by the time I had accomplished my goals I destabilized Christian Spain enough for the Muslims to just march on in.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well yeah but I mean I wasn't thinking long term.

Also it's way easier to :ese: within your own realm

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the start is not to declare holy wars while the islamic nations are strong and willing to defend each other

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

But they did it?

I mean, look at those stats. How come The Prophet has 10 learning and everything else even shittier.

Pretty sure stats are randomized

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Which 11?

Some aren't important. Namely the unit packs that slow things down apparently.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I played without WOL for a while and it was fine, it'll add some spice to your game down the road.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like I could generally stand to be more if a tyrant in my games. After ruling for a while you can generally deal with the hit but I never seem to bother.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Haven't the devs repeatedly said that India doesn't actually slow the game down?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

remove a couple of regions in scandinavia and throw them in africa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean on the other hand doesn't northern africa have like 4 provinces?

• Locked thread