Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Any tips on playing a Merchant Republic/is it even worth it if I want to try something new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Seems like a fun way to enjoy some of the more stabby bits the game has to offer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I never got Monks and Mystics or Conclave because the Steam reviews for both were awful and full of people saying they had features that broke the game. Granted, both of these were at the time of release. I assume those issues have been fixed and/or were never there to begin with and it was just steam reviewers being awful?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cool, I'll give them a whirl the next time they're on sale then.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Two quick republic questions:
1) I did a 769 start date and am currently capped at only one trade post despite having two male unlanded heirs. I assume this is due to only having one level of Trade Practices? How high of a priority is is to steal tech from Constantinople to get those sweet economic research points vs spying on my home province to try and get an excuse to revoke the city titles I don't own?
2) When I do get more trade posts, I've been told more in the same zone is better. By the same "zone" that means a segment of ocean, right? So if I'm Venice, I want to own as many trade posts in that little inlet as possible vs expanding down the coast?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ToxicSlurpee posted:

1 - yes. You need more tech to get more posts. Your mansion also has upgrades for more. Your spymaster should stay home. A high stewardship score will get you many points and you should always have a high stewardship score in a republic.

2 - you want to have as big of a zone as possible. Each chunk of ocean is not necessarily a separate zone. You want to have the most posts in a chunk to control it for trade as that gives you the biggest bonus. If you have control of multiple continuous chunks it makes one big zone. The number of chunks actually doesn't matter so dogpile your chunk around Venice first then spread from there.

binge crotching posted:

Keep your spymaster parked in Constantinople until you are the tech leader. It shouldn't take more than about 100 years. You probably want to keep your Chancellor there to make them like you, since you'll be losing a fair number of spymasters over the years.

And yes, basically. Trade zones are weird as hell, and sometimes will cross over landmasses to the ocean on the other side. In general though, just assume that they need to be touching.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, make sure you own the trade post in Venice itself. If some other family owns it, make sure to eliminate their bloodline so you have a chance to inherit. If some other family does, rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the info, I'll switch gears and focus on getting trade practices up ASAP.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So sorry, but I have another republic question. Do the trade posts of other families in my republic count towards expanding trade zones? For example if there are three zones in a straight line, a-b-c, and I own the majority of posts in a and c but other families own all the posts in b, is it still one contiguous zone for the purposes of maximum money making?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Okay, so what I want to do is systematically stab the families that own the trade posts in zone b until at least one of them falls to me, got it.

Are there any other ways to steal or destroy rival patrician's trade posts besides stabbing them and hoping you win the inheritance dice roll? As far as I've been able to tell so far it looks like I can only request embargo wars on other doges, not minor patricians in my own republic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I did.not realize that and have been stabbing guys with 2 posts and wondering why I never seem to get them. :downs: Thanks for telling me that, will adjust my strategy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The whole trade routes that start out making you gently caress all but then ratchet up to eventually be one of the most lucrative thanks to gold mines thing sounds rad as hell. Gives African kingdoms the tools to actually get wealthy enough to break out of their box without relying on sheer luck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not entirely sold on the "it's not just West Africa any more, so we made one monolithic African Religion" aspect, but the map stuff sounds cool.

It's no worse than any of the other pagan religions that lump tons of diverse regional beliefs under singular labels. That said I also very much hope it gets touched up a bit along with the other Pagan changes that are supposedly coming.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I learned very quickly in my Republic stabbing adventures that the easiest way to ensure proper stabbings is to become a master seducer which gives you an insane +50 opinion with the opposite sex. At one point I had a lover who was young and had good enough stats that everybody wanted to marry her, so I'd propose a marriage between her and a patrician I wanted dead, have her immediately add like 50% plot power to his death, and then once he was dead turn around and remarry her to the next guy I wanted to kill. Rinse repeat for a good 15 years before she got old enough that the marriages were refused. Somehow nobody ever caught on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just make a Hellenic dude in the rule designer and blob forth.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Strudel Man posted:

It's the middle ages. Morbid obesity hasn't been invented yet.

Morbid obesity absolutely was a thing in the middle ages, although it was mostly contained to the clergy/nobles because you had to be both rich enough to afford enough food to overeat, and idle enough to not make it up doing manual labor 6 days a week.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I caved and bought all the DLC I was missing, and I must say this is incredibly unrealistic. People catch on way too fast to your secret society dealings. I've been under suspicion of being a Satanist for like, a full year now. Come on, how could they possibly suspect?!

Look at this face, is this a face that would lie about being a Satanist? Really now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So my first satanist finally kicked the bucket, it sure was a trip. What I thought would be 40 boring years of my nerdy, shy, frail king angrily keeping the books in order for an ungrateful realm went off the rails when he got randomly indoctrinated. Highlights include going from frail to brawny by way of an orgy, causing three separate peasant revolts by romping down to the village with fellow worshipers to slaughter them in a grand display, constantly hunting the world for dwarves because Satan really has a hard-on for their blood, and in the end desperately trying to cling to life by eating my excess children to consume their life force. Also I'm convinced Satan was loving my wife, because I got the suspicious pregnancy event twice in a row, and both children turned out to be devil children despite my wife not being a satanist I could remote impregnate. 10/10 would Satan again.

On a less stupid note the conclave stuff is really, really good. I like that council decisions are no longer an automatic "oh hey guy I've never heard of, you have the highest stats so you're in" and instead is a game of political musical chairs and sometimes I really do need to stick an incompetent loser in because he's too powerful to let be annoyed. I also like how the obligations are on a sliding scale.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can the immortality chain actually ever result in the character gaining the immortal trait? I've only ever gotten the "reincarnated as a baby with all your traits" ending.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's a Pope LP? How do you even do that?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just got the Joan of Arc event for the first time in 400 hours of gameplay, so that's kind of cool. I was getting a pretty rapid string of events and was smoothing things over because of my high diplomacy, but then finally the nobles were all "gently caress you she's a commoner" and I responded with "double gently caress you because she isn't any more, get over here Joan you're a knight now" and haven't gotten another event for a couple years. I hope it doesn't just peter out there? I was expecting a trial at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

There are more events if she marries or has a kid, but if she loses her celibacy she loses Jesus' military advice. :( She's better off as a Marshal and court tutor than a queen, unfortunately.

It never even crossed my mind you could marry her, I figured she'd just flat out refuse. Huh.

But yeah no way I'm giving up Jesus' pro battle stratz, 36 martial + inspiring leader + flanker :eyepop: She's currently rolling in a retinue stack along with two commanders with Chinese war traits and they're literally rolling through opposing stacks twice their size without taking significant casualties.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How do I play nomads?
I started as Kirghiz in the Viking Age start (with an unlocked ruler designed king with good stats), but dunno how to go all Genghis on everyone. Looks like nomads have a CB to take any adjacent province, and can either war for a whole de jure kingdom once a life, or if their pop is above a threshold. What's the general strategy for expansion and kicking settled people rear end?

1. Get a lot of land. No, that's not enough, get even more land. You need more land, dammit. Have enough land? No, you don't. Get more land.
2. Burn down everything that isn't in your capital. Nomads get no taxes or levies from buildings. Instead, for every empty building slot in owned provinces, they get additional manpower (ie: more empty space = more grazing grounds = more horses and dudes to ride them and kill things for you.)
3. When you're not expanding, you should be raiding. This is your primary source of income since again, you don't get taxes in the traditional sense.
4. Always keep an eye on the clans tab. This will let you know how many clans you can sustain, and how much land they expect. If you hoard all the land for yourself or create too many clans, you'll find yourself in an endless cycle of internal strife in a hurry.
5. Initially you're just trying to grow and get a lot of money/land, so use the subjugate CB against neighboring clans and weak, single province feudal counts. Once you snowball enough though, you can use the Invasion CB to really become a juggernaut and start gong full Genghis.

e. Also if you have Jade Dragon and are in the extreme east, you can take an action to raid China. This brings back a TON of wealth, but if China isn't in a state of strife (civil war, famine, etc) you risk them dropping a doomstack in your territory and wiping the floor with you.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 27, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pyromancer posted:

Horse archers kinda suck now, their tactics harm light cavalry strength, so go with light cavalry at the start and then mix in the heavy when you're rich.

Is this still because of the glitch where they proc lovely tactics they're not supposed to? Are there any mods or game files tweaks that make them not complete poo poo?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pyromancer posted:

Pretty sure it's by design - all harass tactics buff light cavalry but debuff horse archers, all swarm tactics do the opposite. The only skirmish tactic that buffs both is "Harass Swarm" but it's impossible to build the horde in a way to roll just that without swarm tactics.
Also pretty much all horse archer specific tactics don't work in forests/mountain/marsh so you'll be stuck with tactics that just don't change them at best and heavily debuff them at worst.
In contrast mixing 60-80% light cavalry and 20-40% heavy does either harass which doesn't debuff heavies or charge into melee which buffs heavies a lot and doesn't debuff lights, and also works on every terrain.
Going with 100% lights makes you use "disorganized harass" that weakens their defense but not really too bad.

That's lame. I don't feel like a proper nomad war machine going out of my way to have as few HA's as possible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The religious orders also made Gavelkind a complete non-issue for Christians because as soon as you have you first heir you take a vow of celibacy and get free primogeniture with none of the downside or tech cost.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What about spares, you fool?

It's a problem if you're a woman because if you lose your heir past childbearing age you're hosed, but if you're a dude you just un-take the vow, divorce/kill your wife, and find an attractive, lustful woman who can still bear children and slam a new marriage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I've been loving around with nomads (who are absolutely OP once you stop creating horse archers and have hoards of 30/70 HC/LC) and after my first successful invasion decided to pull back and check out the rest of the world for pretty much the first time:

The king, queen, and their kids are all of the Karling dynasty, and also all Norse. Really curious to know how that happened. And no, they hold no territory in Scandinavia so it's not like crowns merged or anything.

The Anti-Christ is currently busy unifying Ireland, go get 'em champ.

The king of East Francia is Jewish :psyduck: He's also busy converting all his counties to Judaism, because of course.

The most :black101: queen of all time. She won a revolt, pissed everybody off doing so, and has since been crushing annual counter revolts with a vengeance.

This dude won a civil war for the Abbasid Empire and then promptly moved the capital to a one holding shithole. It's been +10 years. :shrug:

And finally we have the north eastern corner of the map, where we find the last bastion of Zoroastrianism in the world, and the Chinese Protector General who is somehow Nestorian. I legitimately do not even know how that could happen.

I love this game :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fintilgin posted:

Dev diary for random worlds looks so, so, so good.

We don't even have a release date yet, do we? :negative:

COME OUT NOW PLEASE

The time of the cross and crescent is past. The time of the Memelard is nigh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Elliptical Dick posted:

Right so then I get the kinslayer trait and have a revolt for gavelkind or some pretender on my hands!

And yes my interest in GoT and this game probably stem from the same place..

Go full tyrant and lock up faction leaders. Yeah your next heir will get a "opinion of predecessor" malus but gently caress it you're old and the next guy will probably be old too, what do you care?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A great power rises in the east, the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tamba posted:

Ireland in 1066 is the default recommendation for new players. Just don't pick an earlier start date there, or vikings will destroy you.

Earlier start dates in Ireland also mean you're tribal, which significantly complicates the whole thing since you have to slog through slowly dragging the entire Island up into Feudalism.

e. Do you have Jade Dragon? If not I highly recommend it as it adds a casus belli that will make uniting Ireland much less of a waiting for forged claims game.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 11, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You basically have to do 1066 or later unless you just want to paint the map. Any earlier and it's trivial to bowl over Asturias, form Hispania, and rock over the Pyrenees in an unstoppable Muslim hoard. You can try 762: if Karl manages to form the HRE there's some fun to be had in blob vs blob wars, but eventually he dies and usually Europe falls apart into a gavelkind mess of weak states too busy infighting over their competing claims to really unify against you. I guess you could always gun straight for Rome and try to trigger super early Crusades?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One thing I wish had heavier consequences (or any consequences, really) is giving out titles to lowborns. I can go win a Crusade for the Holy Land and give the county and kingdom of Jeruselum to a peasant revolt leader I pulled out of my dungeon five minutes ago, and nobody bats an eye. Hell, even the guy himself gets nothing beyond the -10 vassals malus the peasant leader trait gives. Realistically the nobility should be threatening to flip their poo poo if I make some lowborn scum a simple backwards count.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess maybe an additional "nouveau riche" modifier might make sense, but I don't think nobility really worried about that, especially if they got ennobled by a legitimate source, like being appointed by a lord. There's a number of "rags-to-riches" stories like that, and even by the time of the French Revolution, new people were being ennobled by buying titles, although often new nobles concoct stories of how actually they were noble all along, which muddies things.

I think historically most class warfare from the top is preventative. They don't actually try to force people down a strata once they've clawed their way up because that might provide a bad example. Maybe. I'm not a real expert.

In the early middle ages (~700-1000AD) nobility was basically a nation's military power. If you could afford to arm yourself and swore an oath of fealty, that was usually enough. Plenty of the old European noble houses originated from Charlemagne tossing them out left and right to anybody willing to do this for him. Even in these times though, just handing out a title to a nobody would have been a scandal, since you were expected to have the wealth and military might to back the crown. Most of the really old houses are formed here by burgeoning nations looking to build an army.

Again these date ranges are rough, but from 1000-1500 you then had the High and Late Middle Ages with an established nobility composed of many old houses, who in exchange for providing the military backbone of the nation were allowed exclusive political offices and powers. This is where the FYGM was at it's worst and rendering nobility onto a commoner, even if they performed distinguished service, would cause at a minimum some annoyed muttering and the one ennobled to be ostracized. This gets worse in the late middle ages when nobility are starting to get phased out for other forms of military power (mercs, etc) so they cling on even harder to noble blood being prestigious, because if you're an impoverished noble who isn't fighting the only thing that makes you better than the rabble is your bloodline, so you play that poo poo up as hard as you can.

After that, things get complicated because from the Renaissance period onward most medieval socio-economic paradigms start to get flipped on their heads. As you pointed out at this point the French crown eventually started selling noble titles, which resulted from a confluence of several factors:
  • Nobility had ceased to be the primary mechanism of military power as early as the 14th century. Sure it was prestigious to hold a command, but plenty of nobles by that point where little more than estate owners or glorified bureaucrats.
  • France had a burgeoning middle class, the upper rungs of which now had more money than the vast majority of noble houses, and they were starting to look sideways at the political offices and powers they were locked out of because they weren't "noble" and getting a bit chaffed.
  • The crown was constantly on the verge of being broke as poo poo and was reliant on an incredibly confusing and unpopular patchwork of taxes, so they were in a position to listen to these incredibly rich merchants and bankers who were wanted to throw gobs of cash at the crown for a title.

Even with all that though there were tons of divisions within the French nobility used to stratify themselves. So called "Noblesse Chevaleresque" (generational nobles who could trace their lineage back to an old family) looked down at "Noblesse des Lettres" (the nouveau riche) and would pull every archaic law and political trick out of a hat they could to marginalize their power and influence. "Sword nobles" (those generational nobles who could specifically trace their title back to an oath of fealty and rendered military service) had the right to carry a sword in public, which was considered a mark of prestige and was not afforded to "robe nobles" who had obtained their title via non-military service, even though by this time the military functions of the nobility weren't very relevant. There are others too, but but you get the point. Nobility is a case of classic FYGM, and they tried to keep others out of it as long as the possibly could, then started trying to keep each other out by arbitrarily dividing themselves.

Sorry for all the :words:. My tl;dr is that I think it would be cool if say, you tried to give a title a nobody, your existing nobles would speak up and protest, or maybe even offer a "more suitable" candidate like a landless minor noble or somebody's fourth son, and you'd take a general penalty hit with them if you refused, with the malus escalating based on the level of the title (ie: relatively minor for a count, huge for a king).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Glad people found it interesting, even if it was super broad strokes :)

In actual game news I just managed to win a war against China when they tried to vassalize me, and am feeling pretty boss. Joke's on them of course, only reason I was able to filter all my troops over to the border to engage in the gigantic battle that shattered their forces was because I'd requested a Chinese commander years ago and I had a half dozen generals with Way of the Dog keeping my attrition rates down. :smugdog:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paradox Forums posted:

MTTH is 65 years so it is not super common.

The province must be the crown focus (has_flag = crown_focus_province)
The province must be at the highest level of prosperity (has_province_modifier = prosperity_modifier_3)

An then there is a heap of modifiers based on stats and traits (see the code below) which if you fulfil them all reduces the MTTH to ~22.66 years.

province_event = { #Reclaim Land id = RIP.11705 title = PROSPERITY_TITLE desc = RIP.11705.d picture = "GFX_evt_culture_change" border = GFX_event_normal_frame_economy has_flag = crown_focus_province trigger = { has_province_modifier = prosperity_modifier_3 NOT = { num_of_max_settlements = 7 } } mean_time_to_happen = { years = 65 modifier = { factor = 1.2 owner = { independent = no } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { stewardship = 12 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { stewardship = 16 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { stewardship = 18 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { learning = 12 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { learning = 16 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { learning = 18 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { is_smart_trigger = yes } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { OR = { trait = administrator trait = architect trait = scholar trait = gardener } } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { trait = diligent } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { OR = { trait = scholarly_theologian trait = mastermind_theologian trait = charismatic_negotiator trait = grey_eminence trait = fortune_builder trait = midas_touched } } } } option = { name = RIP.11705.a ai_chance = { factor = 95 } owner = { scaled_wealth = -2.5 } add_holding_slot = 1 } option = { name = RIP.11705.b ai_chance = { factor = 5 } } }

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thrift is also really good because it gets a ton of stewardship points and also has a high change of ultimately ending up with shrewd, which is a flat +2 to every stat. Pride is good for making stabby murder machines.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think there was a plan discussed a few pages back to just make a new thread once Holy Fury was out and include all the FAQ's in the OP including DLC stuff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

Come to think of it, I'm creeping up on 1,000 hours in CK2 and I still have exactly 0 achievements because I always roll with a few mods and never play Ironman

:v::hf::v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Once I learned turning off demense size applies to not just you but also the AI, I started a 768 game with no vassal/demense limits just to see how batshit things would get. The year is now 1200, and the world has devolved into three megablobs:

Norse Britannia, which owns all of Scandinavia, all of Western Europe, and all of Africa including Mali up to about modern day Libya.
Iconoclast Byzantium, which is still clinging to most of Greece and Turkey despite being slowly subsumed by the other blobs holy war by holy war.
Zoroastrian Persia, which owns all the rest of Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, the full boundary of the Persian empire, and ~90% of India.

I think my favorite bit is the Pope continuously calling for crusades for Italy despite there being no Catholic rules left in the entire world and Catholicism sitting at a cool 0% MA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I have no idea. I think the game might be broken thanks to there being so many guys floating around with like 80 titles.

• Locked thread