Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Should we add something about interesting starts or newbie-friendly start locations and stuff like that?

I think new players could benefit from knowing what would be a good start location and such, so they don't end up in Ireland in 867, or in southern England anno 1066 or literally anywhere near the Seljuks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

I don't have The Old Gods, what's so bad about Ireland in 867? Vikings?

Yeah, you get swarmed with vikings who'll pillage your village, steal your gold, and run off with your wife and daughters. There are also Norsemen in Dublin and in the Hebrides who are all too eager to expand.

The same is true for the Charlemagne start, though the vikings won't show up right away.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 6, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Reveilled posted:

What specifically do you mean?

Good point, added. In terms of beginner starts, I'm not really sure what's easy any more, now that the go-to suggestion of "just start in Ireland" doesn't hold true any more.

"just start in Ireland" works as long as you add "in 1066".

Personally I'd say the good Irish starts are:

1. Munster/Mumu (of course), as the player starts off strong and can quickly get introduced to the concept of "de-jure" right out of the gate.

2. Dublin for introducing the player to inheritance.

3. Connacht for being a slightly more challenging version of Munster which also introduces the player to how useful good councillors can be, via the genius Michael Ryan, which Connacht always starts off with:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 6, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm a sucker for more internal realm action, so this expansion looks pretty drat sweet so far. That said, I'm a bit curious about the names of the 'Status of Women' laws.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't "Significant" and "Notable" be switched around? I always got the impression that "significant" was a, for lack of a better word, stronger than "notable".

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Groogy posted:

But you get capped at a 100% The rest 600 infamy doesn't do anything and are cut away.
If people wouldn't go on random reddit rage rumors people would actually know how the mechanic work and not be as enraged.

In their defence, I'd argue that it could probably be a bit clearer:

(not my image)

While it is shown that Infamy is at 100% despite the player gaining 710.32% from the conquest of Byzantium, it might be a good idea to add a disclaimer at the bottom of that tooltip saying something like "Infamy levels over 100% are not counted" or "Infamy is capped at 100%", or something else like that.

I'm not exactly a game designer though, so it could be a stupid idea for all I know. It just seems like some of these complaints could be pinned down to communication issues.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yashichi posted:

It definitely is not WAD because the Byzantine emperor invades Venice and puts a loving count there in 80% of the games I play. If they really want to go down that route they should make Venice start as a Byzantine vassal in 769 and 867.

Either that or as a tributary.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised we've never gotten a DLC to overhaul Crusades. It's an area of the game that still feels pretty lacking, though that might just be compared to everything else.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cluny is actually featured in an event, you can donate money to them.

But that's about it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

What are the horses from?

They were part of an update, I believe.

If you're a lunatic, you can choose to replace your Chancellor with your favourite horse.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I haven't really played CK2 ages, and decided to give Conclave a go.

I wanted to switch my Court Chaplain to a council position he'd be more suited for, and saw that I had a diplomacy option to switch him around rather than firing and rehiring him, which seems like a big improvement.

But when I tried it I was only given the option of making him my new marshal or steward, both of which he'd be garbage at and at least one of which would piss of one of my stronger vassals.

I don't mind being limited to choosing between those two, or at least I wouldn't mind if I had an option to back out of that choice and just keep him as Court Chaplain right now.

But I can't.

As far as I can see, I have no option but to screw myself over.

I'm playing Ironman, so I can't even go back to an earlier save.

EDIT: Ah, switching them around doesn't cause any opinion loss at all, so I guess I could just switch them back afterwards? That makes it better, but it still seems weird to not have a "Nevermind" button, or something to that effect.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 15, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is one of the Councillors there on a favour?

This was just a few in-game days into the playthrough and I haven't touched favors yet, so I doubt it.

I ended up solving the issue by making my Court Chaplain my new Steward (making my old high-learning Steward the new Court Chaplain), and then making my high-stewardship Chancellor my new Steward, which made my ex-Court Chaplain/ex-Steward the new Chancellor, which is where I wanted him to be in the first place, because he was better at diplomacy than the ex-Chancellor/current Steward.

This worked out perfectly for everybody involved.

Simple and easy. :shepface:

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think the issue was that I couldn't switch my Court Chaplain and Chancellor around because the Chancellor was either a burgher or feudal lord, which would have made him ineligible to be Court Chaplain. The game doesn't really make that clear, though.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 15, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I see the AI has some interesting ideas about good career paths.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Thanks to genius you still got, what, a fiddy percent chance of getting the best education anyhow?

But yeah, education is kind of a shitshow still; I guess it simulates how people have no idea what to do with kids and mess them up constantly?

She actually ended up becoming a 'Flamboyant Schemer' and getting downgraded to 'Quick'.

I don't think any of her stats reached double-digits.

A tragically realistic portrayal of poor parenting.

At least it's not the murderfest my dynasty's corner of Ireland turned out to be, so I guess I don't have much of a moral high ground here.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Dev Diary.

This one's about maiming.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Various Meat Prod. posted:

As a merchant republic, what's my strategy for handling the feudal lands I conquer? My new vassals are castle-holding counts and the counties I get myself are castle-primary with burghers owning their cities. Unless I'm missing something, my only way to take titles from counts is provoking them to rebel, gaining a claim via fabrication or the Pope, or murdering everyone until I inherit. And I can't revoke from burghers unless I make them counts first. Is there a better way to go about this?

You get a seize city holding CB wherever you own trade posts. If you use that, you'll get the city dirrectly. You can conquer coastal counties where you already own cities.

It's slower than just outright fabricating, but also a lot less fiddly in respect to vassal management.

e:

Volkerball posted:

You want to personally hold nothing but castles except for your capital city. The only reason you would want burgher counts as vassals is if they are coastal, as they'll give you a lot more galleys than feudal counts, but that's often overkill. And you don't really need their money, especially at the cost of levies. Feudal vassals have a negative opinion modifier for wrong government type, but that's more than outweighed by being able to designate an heir. And yeah, merchant republics have a hell of a time with revocations and creating titles. Thems the breaks.

Why would you hoard up castles if you're a patrician? You get a lot more gold from personally held cities, and you don't need levies if you've got cash.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 29, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Volkerball posted:

You already have a license to print money as a patrician. Why worry about upgrading your strongest characteristic at the expense of others? And yeah you do. I still haven't moved on to the conclave patch, but if factions still work by faction strength and your vassals levies vs your levies, your personal levy size plays a major role in keeping your empire together. Especially since republics are capped at a weak crown law.

Good point.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wish Conclave let you see why Councillors would/wouldn't support a law change, like you can with wars.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In the same vein, if you want to use your Chancellor to sow dissent, do you send them to the vassal you want to anger or to the liege you want them to get angry at?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah, if you wanted all of your kids to have the same education trait. I really only wanted the heir to have a diplomatic education, typically, since it tended to cause problems if people liked his brothers better.

Well in that case the only thing you would have needed to do differently from Main Paineframe would have been to send your kids off to some master skilled dude or dudette the day before they filled sixteen.

The old education system was... not perfect.

I would wish the AI in Conclave was better at choosing the appropriate education, though.

I've seen so many kids getting educations that don't fit them in the least, leaving them as complete fuckups and-

This is social commentary, isn't it :smith:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I have both the petty queen of Powys and her female heir as prisoners from a previous de jure war. How do I use this to my advantage?

Edit: I can't take the queen as a concubine.

If you have one, marry your male heir to her female heir and keep the queen imprisoned until she dies.

That said, you'll probably want to keep the Queen of Powys alive until you yourself keel over, so don't throw her into the Oubliette just yet.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 10, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Is stellaris good yet

what does your heart tell you

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Templars were right. :eurovision:

There were no appropriate flag emotes.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This all sounds really sweet.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's a cool story, it's been way too long since I played as a vassal.

I'll have to try it out with Conclave.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxAbWogPENU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

People visit you so they can cuddle with your adorable kittie, leading to you gossiping together while drinking tea water with leaves in and sharing cake recipes.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Also picked up the Ruler Designer because I like makin my own guy. There any tips on how I should go with that? Don't know about which stats I should focus on or what. Do wanna go for a guy for conquering, though. I don't wanna make some Super Human that keels over dead in a year, but I don't wanna make a guy that sucks, either.

Diplomacy for making people like you, stewardship for cash and actually being able to have some holdings.

Insanity and possession are surprisingly harmless, so you might want to pick those up if you feel like min-maxing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Welp, played through a bit of the game today rather than just fiddling with the ruler designer and looking at mods (Elder Kings looks neat as hell). Game's kind daunting to wrap your head around. But I started a (mostly - used RDU to not fuss over traits and such) vanilla game today, as a norse tribe in Austisland on Iceland. Promptly went and conquered the other county and started to go raid Ireland, got a few counties worth of loot there... and then some other realm, Ostandlet, up and declared war, I got my 500 or so troops back just in time to get their poo poo kicked in by a 2,000 troop army. :v:

Congratulations! You're about to become a vassal of Harald Fairhair.

He's the dude who's traditionally considered the first king of Norway, though he never subjugated the whole country (he never got the north).

Also, Iceland and the Faroe Islands maaay have been mainly settled by people trying to escape his rule.

Have fun!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

StarMinstrel posted:

Everything looks really good for that preview... EXCEPT I'm not too keen on the sacks of grain > carts > floating platters. Feels a bit cluttering to me and I could see having that everywhere being a bit meh. Hope there is a way to turn it off.

/edit Maybe if the models where a tiny bit smaller relative to the town they neighbour? i dunno

Yeah, it seems really cluttered.

Other than that it looks great!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It did seem a bit silly when Worcester's name was nearly completely blocked out by the cornucopia in Quill18's video.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Koramei posted:

Guess it's a bit late for the suggestion at this point, but I'd think it'd be way better if instead of being random disembodied bowls of food, they were treated like extra buildings or some other little model that's meant to blend in with the rest of the stuff in the province. Like forts, tents and factories do in EU4. If it was just an occasional thing I think setting it apart this extra way is fine, but with how prevalent it is, it's just a bit weird. I read you guys were gonna have them on provinces beyond just your own too, but took those away for clutter? It'd be nice if there was a visual shorthand for it everywhere it was present.

This sounds like a good idea, but I assume it's a bit too late to do anything about.

Another idea would be to have slightly different town models depending on your prosperity rating.

Oh and I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but will the next patch be savegame compatible?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I just watched a Youtuber starve himself to death while hiding in seclusion from the Plague.

10/10.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Another DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-19-the-end-is-nigh.963090/

We should have a new thread tile for RD, the Civ6 thread is too close. Shame ME3 already has Blue oyster Cult was wrong :(

There's some great stuff in here, some of this stuff I've been wanting for year!

Oh and I saw the changelog stated that women would be able to get the viking traits as well, will they get "Sea Queen" rather than "Sea King" (I think it was called sea king)?

Now for my own garbage attempts at making a new thread title:

Crusader Kings II: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Have Pneumonia.

Crusader Kings II: Night Fever, Camp Fever. We know how to do it.

Crusader Kings II: My Liege, You Have Cancer.

Crusader Kings II: Bringing Syphilisation to the Old World.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 16, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Crusader Kings 2: Going Viral

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Crusader Kings 2: Hoarse Lords

Crusader Kings 2: Rashes of India

Crusader Kings 2: That Old Gout

Crusader Kings 2: Songs of Ghoultide

Crusader Kings 2: Sunset Infection

Crusader Kings 2: Charlemalaise

Crusader Kings 2: Out of Life

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The only good video LP I know is the Idle Thumbs one, which is ancient by Ck2 standards.

Seconding this.

I really enjoyed seeing the Idle Thumbs guys' flailing attempts at getting to grips with both CK2's mechanics and medieval social practices at the same time, with only in-game hints and a capricious chat to help them out.

I'd highly recommend checking it out, at least the first few episodes.

Oh and the Arumba LP where he plays the Elder Kings mod as a vain high-elf sorcerer is pretty enjoyable as well.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 18, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Volkerball has gained the Cruel trait.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQQqBIOgVRw

Seems like we have a new developer diary here. Now in video format!

Nothing new really, it's just an overview, but it's fun seeing a dev keep breaking into laughter over the sounds of impalement.

EDIT: Three "can we blame the Jews" comments just on first glance. Of course.

Jesus, those are some brutal sound effects.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Frogfingers posted:

Has anyone explained what disease-afflicted sea zones are meant to do? Is this anything new or only just now visible because of the epidemic mapmode?

Boats get cancer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, it's to show you the diseases can travel over water gaps.

New DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-20-dont-fear-the-reaper.964269/

I'm currently watching Arumba try to find where to build Hospitals for 4 videos now. The Extended province view isn't that unknown, is it?

It's really hard to spot since it's just a tiny arrow sticking off the side of another menu, and has so far only ever really been relevant for republics.

So essentially, if you don't know about, you won't find it.

• Locked thread