Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

DStecks posted:

P sure that king-tier characters cannot swear fealty, and don't the Byzantines get free title revocation? It sounds either impossible or dangerous.

You can form a kingdom under an emperor, Sicily is a really nice one... but getting the viceroyalty for that duchy is an absolute bitch. Calabria is a decent place to start if you want to go that route.

Technically, you become a despot, not a king and as long as your push through Muslim held Sicily or the off-brand dukes, avoiding Lombardia, it's not all that difficult. Don't form duchies 'til you have to and you can balance out the emperor by marrying into the Karlings for alliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ofaloaf posted:

The most important question: With a 7th-century startdate, would Italy have Italian or Roman culture?

German.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

With Horse Lords, can sons from any culture be sent off to form a mercenary company or is that just for nomads?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I just realized my court has almost 70 people in it. Whats the easiest way to clear house of some of the useless ones?

Pagan, marry them off to temple holders far, far away. Works for men and women.

Not pagan, patience and no marriages for anyone.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Zealous trait keeps you from converting, that's the only one I know of. Pagan religions can't demand conversion before reformation, but I don't know if that applies to Judaism.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'Who to cuck' is the new 'greek balls'.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lord Banana posted:

No, when my first ruler died everything passed to my son correctly, but now I'm getting a warning that I'll lose my duchy, and it says it's going to the Emperor.

The Duchy of Sicily is a viceroyalty at the Charlemange and Old Gods starts.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I like the 'Foreign Tour' event for GoT. Does anything like that exist for the regular game?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Custom empires have the prettiest borders, ones that follow your heart.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I don't pay much attention to patch notes, so I'm not really sure how this happened...

The gently caress is some bullshit Finnish count doing with 3000 troops in 791?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Does anyone know how to limit the reinforcement rate for start troops for a specific character? Tagging it as 'reinforces = yes' reinforces the entire stack by the end of the month, but it's a bit overkill. Ideally, I'd like around 20-30 per month tops.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

As far as 'horrible poo poo asked about Paradox games'... that one doesn't even rate.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Here lies Þorsteinn the Red, an illiterate viking killed by a bookcase two years into his reign.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Fertility drops as characters get older and the wife would straight up murder potential lovers.

Seriously, noble women are loving ruthless about that sort of thing.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I need a fun starting character where my eyes don't glaze over and I quit after 10 minutes like usual

Count of Dublin, 867. Succession is secured with three sons, you get to play in the viking murder-dome of Britain, Ivar has your back and if it all goes to poo poo with everyone in your immediate family dying, you inherit a big chunk of Norway.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If you raise your levies right away, all the smaller Irish armies bypass you and to gently caress off to Mercia so they can get dunked on, then you can pillage churches to your hearts content. You need a good martial roll on character generation though, around 800 or so troops usually does the trick.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Cathars can have women on the counsel, as well as generals and bishops. I think it also negates the 'heir is female' and 'is a woman' affinity maluses for your vassals. All church taxes go into state coffers because there's no head of the religion... I think, maybe you can install a Cathar pope, but that's a long time off from conversion.

You can always have the person with the best stats doing what they're best at, but you'll need it cuz it's the loving end times with how often you're gonna get holy wars declared on you.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Tanistry is where it's at. All the obscure mechanics of elective and family members who loving hate you.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That one dude that suggested agnatic kingdoms under enatic empires was really great too

Absolute Cognatic Elective Gavelkind, but no matrilineal marriages allowed.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The problem with the current education system is that the events which lead to trait development can fire for any member of the court, not exclusively to the educator. It's kinda fluffy when you're stuck in a long regency, but for the most part just sucks.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if they don't completely fall apart you can get a prepared invasion on the khazars. be silk road vikings with access to china and the black sea.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

tanistry doesn't go about creating the tiocracy, great term, cuz as long as those old farts have land they won't get elected. towns, churches, baronies... whatever, as long as they have poo poo the voting systems just knocks them right out of contention. the ai hates voting for people who have holdings, which leaves them defaulting to random kids... probably not your own sons, but someone's, as long as that kid isn't first in-line to inherit anything already. I think the logic is that they're looking for someone they can bully, but that'll just be the player so good luck with that.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that's like maybe eight tops, barely even noteworthy.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if you've got a decent spymaster they'll plot something stupid eventually, then park an army on their capitol and hit the arrest button. the arrest won't really work, usually, but you can smash the rest of their forces when they rebel.

it's been so long since I've played any version other than hip, but can't you start revoking titles at level 2 tribal?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the viking way where you loot rome every six months is much better.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

stay dirtbag, un-reformed norse by changing your culture to some version of celtic and becoming a tanistry, then broodmare the rest of your children through matrilineal marriages for a couple of generations. reforming the faith is fuckin' tedious and getting into a decade of wars with most of europe over like two provinces just adds to that.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

yea... but then you don't get to be a bad-rear end crusader/jihadi later on. don't get me wrong, the fylkirite is a cool colour, but the real viking age ended and your's should too cuz it can spin out into a wretched map-painting slog if you push it too far.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Azhais posted:

So, what's the best way to counter the advanced Viking 9th century mole machine technology? Is there a mod to make giant red arrows to track the tiny ripples in your empire they make before burrowing to the surface with 6500 troops?

when you get the hellmouth event, build landships and launch depth charges into it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the wu-tang in gotham, that'd loving rule.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

duke of calabria (769 or 867) is a pretty sweet starting spot too. you can bite off chunks of sicily and southern italy, while nobody will gently caress with you cuz you're byzantine. plus if you manage to form a kingdom you get the rad title of despot.

who doesn't want to be a despot? seriously, being a king in the byzantine empire is rad.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

saint dimas was a thief. saint patrick was probably a genocidal terrorist.

piety is something of a loose term.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's also pretty easy to game elective gavelkind if you have access to decent conquest cbs. have as many off-brand counties outside of your capitol duchy or petty kingdom as you do sons. just only have the one top level title... or some weird titular/single county title that'll you'll eventually have to kill a brother for, but you know, that's a pretty cake war cuz he only has the one county.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

before they turned seduction focus off for ai characters, my bastard half-brother Guttorm, count of Paris, once sired six bastards in additon to four natural born children from three different wives. dude spent twenty years on the edge of a viking kingdom with close to three thousand men under his command and never conquered a single loving thing, aside from the wives of francia occidentalis.

I am actually slightly jealous of my fake half-brother.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Meridian posted:

I clearly need to start stabbing everyone early. Absolutely garbage vassals and wife. I have just the thing for that.

Also, since I am going with Sigurd Ring, I assume I want King of Sweden as the ambition? Groom an Heir with Family focus is usually what I do as a good Catholic should, however, the idea of conquering the poo poo out of everything and assassinating any of Ragnarr's potential siblings so he can inherit the whole blob sounds hilarious.

concubines are just another word for family focus and I'm pretty sure that groom your heir doesn't expire 'til eighteen or twenty, plenty of time to bring many tribes into the Svíþjóð co-prosperity sphere with the king ambition.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

darthbob88 posted:

*Anyone who controls land within your de jure kingdom. I haven't played the Sigurdr Ring start in a while, but IIRC if Sjaeland expands slightly into Vestergautland, that'll give you a free CB on most of Denmark.

part of norway as well, right next to the counties Ragnarr will eventually get a claim on from his mother. all you really have to do is wait for sjaeland to over-extend in a war and you can snatch up most of scandinavia

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

don't remember the exact mechanics of it, but if you have vassal kings then grant them each a single county somewhere near your capital then you can raise their entire army from that county(?)

not sure how it works, cuz it's kinda cheesedick, but people who play at the empire level always bring that one up

personally, being a king in an empire is way more fun

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

concubines are a fantastic way to start a war however. the 'kidnapped my relative' opinion modifier always gets a chuckle out of me.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there is an option to kindap in historical immersion, there's a lot of qol added into that mod. coronations used to be exclusive to it, but I'm glad that one is getting fleshed out more.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that's what the amazonian death/re-education squads are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

shame there can't be multiple reformations, that'd be rad. I know you can drop the holy site requirement numbers down in the defines.lua but presumably it's gonna be a one shot deal.

• Locked thread