Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

First post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Hungary/Magyar 867. Starts tribal with a bunch of event troops, so you can toy around with tribal mechanics. It's also super easy to become feudal because you just win your invasion against Bulgaria and use the form Hungary decision in the intrigue menu. Nobody can gently caress with you there and it's something different.

I doesn't really teach you anything. It'd be like loading up an end game save of another game with all the powers unlocked already and saying "here, learn from this". Its fun, but not useful.

Edit: thought you were talking to the guy that wanted to learn the game.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 8, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My suggestion for a newbie start is 1066 Richard Guiscard in apuila, southern Italy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

I really should try a Muslim game. Started one a while ago, but I got hosed over by crusades and everyhting. The decadence mechanic also wasn't that clear at the time.

I had a lot of fun playing the Abbasid caliph in the 1066 start and attempting the achievement. It's a little difficult, but think about trying it when you get the experience.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nah that's a really bad learning experience.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Did this. It's going pretty good at the moment. My ruler died pretty early, dividing his duchies between me and my brother. Both under 16, so I had to wait some years in regency. As soon as I turned 16, I stabbed my 14 year old brother and inherited his duchy. Unfortunately, I got caught and got the kinslayer trait.
Fortunately, I was under attack by Muslims, so that +75 'Defending against infidels' really helped.
Took some counties, formed the kingdom of Sicily. Then I decided to swear fealty to the HRE, because there's no way I'm gonna take them on on my own. Now I'm marshal and the HRE dude loves me.
At the moment I'm taking large chunks of Northern Africa, while the HRE is taking over France. I started a faction to become the leader of the HRE, so far 62% back me. I'll probably fire the event once the HRE conquered France :)
After that, my ruler will probably die and everything will go to poo poo, but that's life CK2.

Also, on an unrelated note, this playthrough made me realise that sometimes it's best to just lose a war. Under attack by 6-8k infidels and some idiot decides he wants some stupid little county? Rather than deplete my treasory and hire mercenaries, I went: gently caress it, let him have it. For now. We can always :ese: later.

That 62% is the strength of your faction relative to his strength. You're gonna get your rear end whooped unless you have cash for mercs and use the Alps defensively.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Well then. I took some huge chunks of Northern Africa, but the emperor of the HRE couldn't defend against a Jihad so I lost it all.
Couple of years later the emperor is waging like 8 wars at once, and losing. So I figure, now is my chance to become emperor of the HRE! Of course, he won't go down with a fight. I manage to gain a bit of warscore at first, but he calls in a ton of allies and I start losing. Badly.
Luckily my king gets maimed and he dies a couple of months later. My son inherits, war ends :)
Now I'm back at the start I guess. Gonna try to marry my way in some new territory.

The unpredictability of this game is so awesome.

Good stuff playing along when things don't go your way.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hadaka Apron posted:

I was actually thinking of starting as one of the existing Republics in-game without being tribal first, but I'll give Ireland a whirl.

I recommend Pisa 1066 because you have so many family members you can just crap all over the AI with trade posts, while you get to grips with the mechanics.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Danube thing is so drat old. Prepare for Africa or China to be added before they bother fixing all the map anomalies.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Marenghi posted:

Ironman is a good way to test your patience with this games random events.

Lost an heir then two kings during the course of one war. Warscore was at 94% but the second king dying meant the war ended as the claim was not inherited.
Fairly annoying as I purposely kept put other generals in charge specifically to avoid this situation. To add insult to injury the battles weren't even being lost.

Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dad: hey, hey son. Remember how I changed the laws of the realm and removed you from the direct line if succession. It's all fixed now, someone fortuitously murdered your brother!

Son: err, no dad. You still suck.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Let the slow idiot be part of your story.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

One of the best starts in the game is the count of Vermandois in 1066. Vassal and you can play with the end goal of restoring the Karlings .

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That'd require bending a knee to the HRE, which I absolutely want to avoid if at all possible.

Why?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only problem with Ireland is that it's painfully slow. It's good for an absolutely fresh, never played a Paradox game before player for their first hour or two of just figuring out what the buttons do, but after that all the waiting for claims to fabricate or minor counts to have only daughters so you can marry your kid into their inheritance gets old pretty quickly.

So yeah, definitely start there, but try a French vassal or someone on a border where holy wars are possible as soon as you start feeling bored instead of overwhelmed.

Why do you need to wait for their counts to have only daughters? Marry claimants and press claims straight up. Holy wars are more boring than fiendishly weaving claims into your heirs and enacting a generation long plan.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

After countless hours playing this I just earlier today learned you can get the modifier "best friend pets" if you have a cat and dog who like each other. :3:

If you go into your steam library it actually tallies how many hours you’ve played.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress off the both of ya.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's been a while, so I started a new game to make sure I wasn't rusty, and since catholics and pagans are going to get changed soon, I decided to play as king of Georgia.

Is imprisoning somebody no longer good enough get rid of their negative opinion when you're trying to change succession law to primogeniture?

Dynastic manipulation can grab you a bunch of territory, but it requires a lot of time, luck, observation, and stabbing. Once in a blue moon maybe you can get the pope to grant you an invasion, but don't hold your breath. The most straightforward method is to fabricate claims and conquer one at a time, working your way towards getting duchies, and then the kingdoms themselves, which can take a while, but you've got a century to work with.

Alternatively there's always just inviting people with claims to your court, landing them, and pressing their claims.

Why the gently caress do people in this thread put fabricating claims above dynastic planning (the actual cool fun part of the game) the two don’t even compare in power.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

One's reliable, one takes a long time and a lot of work and observation, and I'm still no good at it. And while it may be satisfying to pull off, I'm not very fond of all the waiting you have to do to make it happen.

If you have a bunch of plans cooking at once you’re always enacting one or two of them, sometimes snatching entire kingdoms out of it. Fabricating is more boring.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Re merchant republics: if you have way of life, don’t forget to spy on city mayors so you can revoke the cities you don’t hold in your capital!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think holy wars have changes since I last played...do you not get all the holdings anymore? I keep having churches and cities still loyal to the old liege...which is annoying. I'm a Han Shiite.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Various Meat Products posted:

Holy wars for Muslims only vassalize titles in the area instead of usurping everything.

I actually did get all the holdings but only after I’d unpaused.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Moreau posted:

Is there a strategy or trick to defeating the Western Protectorate?

I'm attempting a White Hun campaign, and the Western Protectorate has nabbed a province of Khotan, which I will need to take back. Twice now I've tried to declare war, and they drop a 100k doom-stack in Bengal and march up to the Western Protectorate - not suffering any attrition, of course.

I have about 100k troops under my vassals, around 15k of my own, and a 15k retinue of Shock and Elephants. All so much paper in the face of the 1k supply in Tibet in winter.

I would really rather not restart the campaign when all I need is one province and 2 centuries to do it.

Military Organisation 4

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lucky Guy posted:

Didn't pay attention to this, so when I croaked, sis inherited half the world because the other half was set to agnatic :(

I’m gonna hurl.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I turn off ai seduction. It’s loving annoying outside of the players hands.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

spoken like someone who's only ever played singleplayer

And proud.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nah, they conquered U-stang and Pala when they got on the scene but then fell apart. They've only rebounded because the Seljuks imploded via decadence. Egypt is ruled by a kinsman, I won it back in a crusade maybe 60-70 years ago, gave it to a brother.

By the way, why do AI rulers only want to rule one county?

I gave my brother Baghdad and 3 baronies that came along with it. Then I gave him the duchy and then the Kingdom. He has a demnse limit of 5. If it was me I would give out the baronies and keep 5 counties because baronies never rebel. Instead he gives out all the counties and only keeps the baronies, only have 4 domains. Why? Just for the bonus that marshal will give to his levy? It's stupid.

You get more tax and levy bonuses from holdings in your capital county regardless of what your councillors are doing.

Edit...actually it’s only the capital holding. Carry on

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 21, 2018

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

1221 and my Karling game is starting to pick up steam. I have 5 Welsh counties and 4 Irish ones. Inherited another French county as well.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to gain independence in the near future though.

Why don’t you marry the kings daughters and get claims in the French crown and push a faction for your claim?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm on seniority, so if I do that now the fruition of that is going to be decades down the road.

Change to a better succession law.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really don't like the pregame start screen that shoves all the DLCs you didn't buy into your face begging for you to get them. No I'm not going to buy a pack of songs, get out of here.

Are there any good mods out there aside from the total overhauls? I've been thinking about those lately.

Lmfao if you don’t own every single dlc without exception.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Lol, you have the dumb ebook, don't you

I forgot about those. I don’t own them because they aren’t part of the game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

China tried to declare war on me in the building up phase of an Aladdin run and I somehow chumped them by cheesing the Himalayas.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

Has anyone had two genders of horse courtier at once? A friend's game had Glitterhoof (female) and Incitatus (male). Only Glitterhoof had a horse portrait and Incitatus was missing the horse trait for some reason. They ended up having kids with a lady, since they could without the horse trait, and the children... Only the female children had the horse portrait. The male ones did not.

Glitterhoof was in China when Incitatus showed up. Maybe that has something to do with it??? IIRC, Incitatus usually kills Glitterhoof, right?

gently caress there’s some dumb poo poo in this game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

Hah, I was trying to use the console command to just kill off England heirs to the point they just break up, but after about 30 people they still had a ton left. At that point their ruler was a six year old girl who now promised to get marry with a cousin.

Mods?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

From what I understand, the Got Land cheevo doesn’t require to start as Gotland, right? I’m going to try for Norse-East and the India one as well, so a stronger start is probably better.

It’s doable and fun to start as Gotland and make a Scandinavian merchant empire.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can the mods please ban people openly using console commands and still asking for help. It’s loving disgusting and pathetic.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MaxieSatan posted:

It Is A Video Game My Dude

I’m not your loving dude, bro

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Technowolf posted:

And make sure it's the highest-level titles you can give them and make sure to click the 'give all titles under this one' button. That can give a lot of positive relationship modifiers making the people you give them to super-loyal.

Err. Don’t do that. If I’m handing out a dukedom I’m not letting the duke have a huge demesne so his son who doesn’t give a poo poo about me can whip my rear end down the road. I hand out the capital if possible and then sure out all the counties so the duke has to deal with his own shithead vassals.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why does this thread always need to have an unfunny title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m throwing my hat in the ring for “Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury”

• Locked thread