Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ah ha, the horrors of Hatris finally had you admit in-LP what branch of the mysterious armed forces you served in! Soon the research for my unauthorized biography: "Mom Can I Haz: The Fall, Rise, But Mostly loving Around Of A Youtube Channel" will be complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzQrfz8g2o

Honestly, it at least seems better than Nintendo's Yoshi while also probably being the direct inspiration for it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

You are the wailing clock maker.

I dont know posted:

Hatris might be the most boring looking game of the entire thread. I can't imagine anyone playing that for more than a minute.

And yet we played it for half and hour and talked about it for days. That's what you can expect from the likes of us!

Anyway, we let Keith back into his element with another goddamn Puyo Puyo game. If this becomes our new Sonic, I will scream until I die.

Please enjoy our tenuous understanding of Puyo Puyo Fever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GroE0fQXpvE

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You know what's been loving with me this whole time ever since you've started using those portraits?

Kyle looks like the type of person who would sound like Keith, Nick looks like the type of person who would sound like Kyle, and Keith looks kinda like the type of person who would sound like Nick.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
That's wrong, though. The beardo looks like what the gaunt guy sounds like.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

It always messes me up a little when I see the face of someone I've heard on the radio only to find that they look nothing like what I imagined. Maybe we'll switch portraits in later episodes to rectify the disparity.

For today's episode, we visit an actual classic. Joust is the best 1982 could offer in the way of animating a Molly Hatchet album cover, and it plays like a circle of Hell reserved for the denizens of the YouTube comment section; a chaotic, unbroken chain of dickishness that builds in momentum for those attempting to be the last to suffer. It is as beautiful and stupid as the bald eagle, and is truly symbolic of the American spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHEHEl7c42M

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dirt Wizard posted:

For today's episode, we visit an actual classic. Joust is the best 1982 could offer in the way of animating a Molly Hatchet album cover, and it plays like a circle of Hell reserved for the denizens of the YouTube comment section; a chaotic, unbroken chain of dickishness that builds in momentum for those attempting to be the last to suffer. It is as beautiful and stupid as the bald eagle, and is truly symbolic of the American spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHEHEl7c42M

Australia has Emu, and famously lost a war against them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Participants:
Emus
Sir George Pearce
Major G.P.W. Meredith
Royal Australian Artillery

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Suspect Bucket posted:

Australia has Emu, and famously lost a war against them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Participants:
Emus
Sir George Pearce
Major G.P.W. Meredith
Royal Australian Artillery

No matter how stupid they look, ostriches and emus are still giant birds with the leg strength to kick a man dead. Yet another way cartoons fail to prepare us for the real world.

Speaking of unprepared for life, Keith and Kyle spend fifteen additional minutes fantasizing about the advent of Hatris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5g7GYJZnPg

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

I had the original NES version of Rampage growing up. I remember spending half a day trying to get all the way to the end, forsaking food and breaks for my digital geas. Here were are now, using a later edition to prove how quickly we can become inured to carnage; bored by it. We are terrible people and terrible friends feigning a belonging to populations above Spencer's Gifts humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ybprO9g4PA

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Not entirely related, but you guys may get a kick out of one of our very old videos from what feels like a life time ago now.

https://youtu.be/SoVxEj1oizY

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the States, or elsewhere.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Oh man, it's happening. We're finally nailing the coffin lid down on Kyle. In an amazing twist, a game that relies on the same control scheme as Two Tigers has yielded opposite results for the crew. Witness one of Keith's most tasteless jokes while we play a few rounds of Looping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkrNHDIJwdM

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

AMovieReference posted:

Not entirely related, but you guys may get a kick out of one of our very old videos from what feels like a life time ago now.

https://youtu.be/SoVxEj1oizY

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the States, or elsewhere.

I'm from the UK so maybe I'm ignorant but why does Nick's accent make me think of mayor Quimby?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Quimby has a "JFK" style Boston accent, and Nick was doing a Midwest accent in this. It was to make everything else he said more surprising.

They're kind of similar.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Quimby has a "JFK" style Boston accent, and Nick was doing a Midwest accent in this. It was to make everything else he said more surprising.

They're kind of similar.

Oddly true, there is some kind of genetic anomaly linking those two regions- they also both call fountains 'bubblers' for some reason.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
It's interesting how many superhero games there were out there, and how many of them were somewhat targeting children. This game isn't as bad, but I think of the Batman games and look at the comics and the movies and just find myself puzzled. I guess the 90s were a different time, since they also had Jurassic Park toys, and even toys for Terminator and Aliens.

Anyhow with all that unrelated diatribe, here's Spiderman: The Video Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a16D7iiqUxk

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Continuing our unabashedly nerdy foray, Kyle reveals something telling through his choice of decor, and Keith introduces his original comic book hero! (Do Not Steal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MtauHuhgg

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

I distinctly remember loving Tekken 3 when I was a kid. The controls were relatively fluid, and combos flowed from my thumbs like a meteor shower of pain raining down on the enemy. Every character was interesting to play, to the point that I often just chose the character stand-in for "random." (Mokujin)

Then I backtracked when a friend brought over Tekken 2. It was like playing Russian Roulette with opposing stacks of milk crates. Clunky and slow, and comparatively uglier. Imagine that disappointment and frustration, then predict what it might be like to downgrade yet another generation. Break through the floor of those expectations, conjuring the image of some fighting game from a negative dimension, and you have peered through the veil at our time with the original Virtua Fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KpszFWQmg

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The strict judgement guy was me, since this game series is the one that I will actually travel to events for.

Everyone does pitch VF as being hard, but it's really not. There's just a lot to learn about the system - if you ever play the training mode in the PS2 version of VF4:Evolution (it's the best one of all fighting games including Guilty Gear Xrd and Killer Instinct) you'll see the sheer amount of different systems in place, like the many ways of getting off the ground, the many different defensive options, the weight classes, and so on. Some people don't want to learn all that stuff, but really you can win with good fundamentals and not a huge knowledge of the system.

The control system for every game but VF3 is a simple three button setup (guard, punch, kick, with VF3 having an evade button as well), with moves being less qcfs and dps and more f,f+P or b,f+P. There are no "links" as such like LP, LP, MP into dp+P for instance. There are "canned" combos which are just strings of hits that naturally flow like Lau's P,P,P,K or Pai's P,P,P,d+K. In earlier games, combos were mostly launcher -> attack, and then in later games combos became longer juggle combos which are essentially launcher -> attack -> attack -> etc and had ground bounces and wallsplats and the like in them. All stuff that took decades to flesh out and evolve into the fighting games we have today.

The thing about VF1 is that you guys are completely correct that the game really doesn't hold up today. However, you can't really criticise the graphics and gameplay too much compared with today's standards due to the technology for that era. Plus Model 1 emulation isn't perfect so glitches like Sarah's hair and not falling out of the ring when being knocked out of the ring happen. VF games were pretty much developed for brand new Sega arcade hardware (1 was Model 1, 2 was Model 2, 3 was Model 3, 4 was Naomi 2, and 5 was Lindbergh) so at the time they were groundbreaking graphically, and to me, 5 Final Showdown (the latest version) still stands up pretty well in the graphics department.

The main problem VF has was that it never really captured the casual market. It was a first party series that made a home debut on a failed from the start console while Tekken was on the more successful Sony ones. In addition to this, and I am biased heavily here, while VF's gameplay is cleaner and has far less nonsense in it than Tekken does, Namco added a hell of a lot of extra stuff to the Tekken games that Sega just didn't. There was no storyline outside of stuff in the manual, no endings, no unlockable characters (not including Dural), no extra features like Tekken Force or Tekken Ball. There was no longevity in the series outside of the gameplay. They also didn't have the massive fanbase that Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat had from the 16-bit days when everyone at one point claimed they were amazing at those games.

It also doesn't help that the mentality of top fighting game players in the west will usually only stick to what they can win in instead of trying to learn new things. They'll dip their toe into a new game's sea, think "This is pretty good", get destroyed by people who know what they're doing, and retreat to their comfort zone. This usually has a knock-on effect in the community as a lot of people will only see what most people are playing (i.e. Street Fighter) and then claim that anything other than that game is trash, although even with Street Fighter, people are complaining that the latest version is trash.

TL;DR: All that said however, would I want to go back and play VF1 again? No, I really wouldn't.

Also, I got the final boss from Sonic 3D reference, and for games that stand the test of time, Streets of Rage 2 is a game that still holds up to this day in every way.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

It's frustrating to see you guys hover at slightly under a hundred views for most of your videos. I've been following MCIHAD for as long as it has existed, and all three of you are really funny, witty, and just generally a joy to listen to. I hope you don't let yourself get discouraged and instead embrace the emotionally rewarding lifestyle of a starving artist!

Also linking the secondary channel, since it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the main YouTube page and people should watch those videos, too.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Gimmick Account posted:

It's frustrating to see you guys hover at slightly under a hundred views for most of your videos. I've been following MCIHAD for as long as it has existed, and all three of you are really funny, witty, and just generally a joy to listen to. I hope you don't let yourself get discouraged and instead embrace the emotionally rewarding lifestyle of a starving artist!

Also linking the secondary channel, since it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the main YouTube page and people should watch those videos, too.

Wow, that's authentically amazing to hear. I feel like we have a product that (at least since "season 3") that is of good quality technically (visuals and audio) and pretty entertaining. But I think as far as the views thing, the overlap of people who watch let's plays vs. people who would watch OUR let's play is not usually the same people. Generally the audience of this content is much younger, and they don't really have the nostalgia or interest in arcade games like someone from 25-35 who grew up going to an actual establishment playing these games.

So it does make me envious watching other people become more successful when I think we have a better product, but so goes life. As they said in Butusan, "Ah, well, I was defeated again. Life isn't easy to live."

Hoss Corncave posted:

It also doesn't help that the mentality of top fighting game players in the west will usually only stick to what they can win in instead of trying to learn new things. They'll dip their toe into a new game's sea, think "This is pretty good", get destroyed by people who know what they're doing, and retreat to their comfort zone. This usually has a knock-on effect in the community as a lot of people will only see what most people are playing (i.e. Street Fighter) and then claim that anything other than that game is trash, although even with Street Fighter, people are complaining that the latest version is trash.

As a fighting game fan, I know it too well. Go onto any Street Fighter forum and all people do is bitch about how it's garbage.

As far as Virtua Fighter, none of the 3D fighting games have ever really been my cup-o-tea, as they required too much sitting down and learning how to play, and as a kid I didn't have that in me. A lot of the 2D fighters though, you could just jump on and do all the special moves easy enough that it kept my interest.

Speaking of lovely games, I want us to play Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game next session.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

drat, Hoss loves his fighting games. It's not typically my corner, and I'll admit that I probably played Tekken Ball and Tekken Force more than the core game itself. I played a round of a more recent edition not long ago, and it was absolutely foreign to me. I felt like a colonial musket man standing around the cabinet, eagerly seeking the exit back to where I belong.

It's awesome to see people gathering around this thing we've made. It's honestly humbling to see people invested to the degree they are, and it adds in an extra element of accountability to keep this channel going strong, as it's not just ours anymore. From suggestions and feedback to art and assets, this show is becoming the product of a community. Thanks for hanging in there, folks. We'll make it worth your time.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Dirt Wizard posted:

Thanks for hanging in there, folks. We'll make it worth your time.

Don't feel compelled to change your formula, it already is. You're not really doing anything 'wrong', you just lack exposure to the wider public. Life is unfair. :(

I think if I had to describe MCIHAD to an internet-literate person in simple terms, I'd call it something along the lines of "The best Let's Players you've never heard of". I apologize for making that sound more like a family curse than a compliment - This is why they don't let me work in marketing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dirt Wizard posted:

It's awesome to see people gathering around this thing we've made. It's honestly humbling to see people invested to the degree they are, and it adds in an extra element of accountability to keep this channel going strong, as it's not just ours anymore. From suggestions and feedback to art and assets, this show is becoming the product of a community. Thanks for hanging in there, folks. We'll make it worth your time.

We love you guys, and it's also very frustrating that you have such a small following when your videos are of such a high quality. We want to share you with the rest of the lovely internet!

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Though much appreciated, we're not really used to positive feedback and emotions. Let us dip back into familiar territory by spitting bile in each others' eyes while belittling our physical betters.

https://youtu.be/7LsMTeoHQww

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

It's a double-dose! Since I'm behind the eight ball and behind a work desk, you enjoy a back-to-back denigration of the dead and powerless power struggle!

https://youtu.be/KPIpELhEYec

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Oh my god, wrestling game by midway! What a weird and terrible roster though. I wonder if there is some kind of wrestling form of fatality hidden in there?

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

As Kyle was happy to point out, most 2D fighting games are essentially the same in terms of mechanics. What really sets them apart is their roster of characters. While Art of Fighting 3 wasn't what you would call "great", or "inspired", they managed to set themselves apart with an... interesting character choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgQh_VEP0-c

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Aof3 does feel kind of sluggish and weird at first, but it clicked for me when I realized that it plays sort of like a hybrid between a 2D and 3D fighter and my Street Fighter/KoF techniques would only get me so far. You did a great job showing the game off, but I was hoping the whole time that one of you would pick Sinclair (the scimitar-wielding dancer), who is just the coolest.

Also I've been fascinated with that Nmbos/Aeedles roadsign since I first played this. I feel like Aeedles is maybe supposed to be Needles, CA given the setting, but why is it 2102 miles away? And what the hell is Nmbos?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I would believe that those were place names if this game was set in Australia. Especially given the cast includes a sheila named "Lenny," and a bloke named "Rody Birts."

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Well, since we're hack frauds, we're gonna try to pad out the content between now and our next session, so you're gonna get another "Best of" video. We have some moments, but I want to see what your favorite moments are so we can put them in there.

If you've got moments you liked, let us know by the 18th. and I'll throw them in there.

Glad you guys are still enjoying the show.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Even just the Puyo-Puyo-type games alone should allow you to choose from a great variety of emotionally distressing experiences amongst the contestants. As a general rule, all of them were good, but the one moment you CANNOT miss in any possible 'Best of' is of course the cruel twist at the end of the second Super Puzzle Fighter II video.

Holy crap, even after all this time.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Did Danger-Pumpkin self-identify as Australian? Or is it possibly that those were choice slang, like how I unironically still refer to things as "killer", or "boss"?

The affectations of gourds aside, today's offering is a doozy. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker responded to the extremely vague threat of "bad guys", or perhaps more appropriately, "adults", with the overwhelming retaliatory forces of war robots, dance, and literally loving magic. In kind, NARC was the white man's time-tested tactic of otherization to sway the minds of our already hyper-aggressive and desensitized youth to turn the tide in our War on Drugs. Peewee Herman couldn't get kids to keep their sticky little fingers off the crack pipe, so we painted the portrait of each and every drug user to be a shady, perverse hunchback, machine gunning heroin needles into our brave and bad-rear end law enforcement officers with backup from murderous clowns. Given how hard they fought to warn kids about the dangers of drugs via hyperbole, I can't imagine there was a sober brain in the Williams Entertainment office when NARC was being created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLA3CqL8L-k

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I am (sadly) an American. Just postulating that Art of Fighting makes so much more sense if you pretend it's Australian.

Also, I know it was pretty recent, but the goddamned Shadow Lincoln thing killed me. I feel like there was another thing you did this season with bizarro presidents, but I can't for the life of me remember which video it was in. Lastly as big fan of Black Cat, I loved your pitch for the OC/IP, Shadow Pussy, so that ought to make the cut.

Edit: Holy poo poo, NARC. The only thing even close to progressive they came anywhere near was not making all the drug monster men Black. I have never seen the Reagan era so astoundingly well distilled into media. Somebody get the film rights to this into Paul Verhoeven's hands!

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Shadow Lincoln is the blasphemous lich that ensures our votes don't matter (because we are all expendable meat cogs in the cosmic machine).

Speaking of meat in the machine, Tondemo Crisis is a beautiful allegory for our recording session. We started off fresh and full of wonder, but it quickly becomes a repetitive Sisyphean task of failure and frustration. It also stops making sense halfway through and we blame everything on Kyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5p7yRkNR3U

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Holy poo poo, NARC. The only thing even close to progressive they came anywhere near was not making all the drug monster men Black. I have never seen the Reagan era so astoundingly well distilled into media. Somebody get the film rights to this into Paul Verhoeven's hands!

Hee hee, it's a game and a half, that one. I wasted so much money on that, and only managed to beat it in the arcades twice. It's notorious for just having enemies leech your health away. I think the key is you need to keep crouch walking 85% of the time.

Also, as for later adaptations, the PS2 reboot literally ran out of cash and was shoved out the door half finished. You're basically wandering down a series of alleys that are mysteriously filled with people who you have to decide who are innocent or not. Also, you can take some of the drugs you confiscate, which...well...kinda defeats the purpose of the first game. Anyway, Michael Madsen voices the main character, which explains where MOST of the money went to.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You kept saying the game looked familiar, that's because it was released on the PSX as "Incredible Crisis", and the only things changed in the Western release are the dialog is in english, the levels have a set order to them, and they cut out the karaoke level because the translators took on look at it and said 'fuuuuuck that." The rad Ska soundtrack is even still there.

There IS a story, where there's a family of five (and a dog). It's Grandma's birthday! Everyone forgot, and stresses out, then they each have an absolutely bonkers day of adventures that interweave chaotically. That wasn't the wife on the belly of the bear, it was the teenage daughter. The wife was flying the jet.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

You kept saying the game looked familiar, that's because it was released on the PSX as "Incredible Crisis", and the only things changed in the Western release are the dialog is in english, the levels have a set order to them, and they cut out the karaoke level because the translators took on look at it and said 'fuuuuuck that." The rad Ska soundtrack is even still there.

There IS a story, where there's a family of five (and a dog). It's Grandma's birthday! Everyone forgot, and stresses out, then they each have an absolutely bonkers day of adventures that interweave chaotically. That wasn't the wife on the belly of the bear, it was the teenage daughter. The wife was flying the jet.

My favorite thing about you guys on this forum is that it feels like we can pull up the most random, obscure thing that came out in some random country as a bootleg port or something, and someone is gonna have all this trivia about it.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Holy piss! In terms of sound design, there's not much to write home about with Sinistar, except for the blood curdling doom howl that accompanies the inevitable violent unmaking that awaits us all in the depths of space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdiiTcPMfvQ

(In Hank Hill voice) Bwah..! ...I ain't never goin' to space.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

"We're low on fuel!"

Mother bolted straight up in her chair, shaking loose a couple beads of sweat in her panic. She slid her wine glass away slowly, scanning the room for concerned glances. Father barely noticed in his rush to deliver an unmarked, store-bought cake to the table as the saddest centerpiece of a party that never was. Grandma didn't bat a tear-soaked eyelash. She knew we forgot. How terrible it was, to her, that we should give so little thought when she had so few birthdays left.

Thank you for enduring my moment of Tondemo Crisis fan fiction. For your patience, I reward you with part 2 of Volcanohead Follies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2x1mJ-4pQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

We did it! It's arrived! The end of Tondemo Crisis! No actually the end of the game. We (Kyle) sucked too badly at this frustration generator to reach the final level. The light is beaming from the end of the tunnel, and while it took a few days to get there, it only felt like a few days to record it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8mENASmz2M

• Locked thread