Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Do you take requests? Because I have a lot of games I'd love to see you take on, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Cool. In the interest of not slamming you with a million billion requests, I figure I'll give you one, then, when you use it, I'll give you another one.

Let's see. How about Senkyu, also known as Battle Balls? It's a 'match stuff in a time limit' game in a format that I don't think I've ever seen copied.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Sounds good. We'll try to take the highroad on jokes off the title.

That... didn't even occur to me. And I've been an SA forum member for how long? :sweatdrop:

Okay, let's see. Some I remember from back in the day (yo):
  • Bank Panic, a first-person shooter of sorts where you defend the Wild West's most poorly-designed bank from an endless supply of no-good bandits while being very careful not to shoot a customer in the face.
  • Gaiapolis, a two-person beat-em-up with a sort of overhead view. Has some unusual features, including a password save system in case you don't bring enough cash to finish in one go.
  • Galaga '88, my favorite of the Galaga series for nostalgia reasons. Be sure to go into the game's setting menu to turn continues on; I don't think they are by default. Oh, and don't let them capture your last ship.
  • NBA Jam. Nothing like a game where you pay for a fixed amount of time to suck the quarters! Plus lots of weird cheats like Big Head Mode.
  • Tournament Cyberball 2072. Nothing like a game where you pay for a fixed amount of time to suck the quarters! Plus you can get your players blown up.
  • Last, but not least, Xybots. THE HUMAN HAS BEEN NEUTRALIZED.
If I think of more, I'll add them, but I think this is plenty for now!

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 19, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I thought of a few more potential games from my youth. Zero Wing was an arcade game as well as a (memetic) Genesis game, and it's a fun side-scrolling shmup; your ship has the ability to tractor small enemies and add to your firepower, then use them as bombs when you're done with them. Varth is a vertical shmup with a very handy feature: your bombs regenerate over time, and even regenerate faster if you wiggle the stick, giving you an excuse to use them regularly. And for more of an arena shooter, try Blasteroids, which has a couple of neat features, including the ability to join your ships in a two-player game and have one player be a turret.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The New Zealand Story is great because it has so much depth. The FAQ on GameFAQs is 127k long! You wouldn't think it was that complex by looking at it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm not hearing any game audio at all. :raise:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For the record, the game disabled continuing during the final countdown battle, so his failure was not in being unable to find the start button but in dying right before Wily did.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For the record, I'm cool with that. And I'm glad you liked Battle Balls!

e: one thing I'm curious about, watching the Die Hard Arcade thing: could two players cooperate to arrest guys all day by having one of them knock them down and the other swoop in while holding a handgun? There doesn't seem to be a maximum health requirement (though I assume bosses are immune), and that way the guy with the handgun wouldn't have to actually use it.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 5, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Quick request for future encodes: could you use a different smoothing algorithm? The one you're using right now makes things look weird. A simple bilinear resize would be less distracting.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

FredMSloniker: I believe Kyle (our main video guy) is examining ways to edit future videos and such, but I have no idea about any of that stuff. I'll either try to get a definitive reply from him or have him post whenever he gets around to making an SA account.

It might be an emulator setting, actually. Just as a test, you could boot up Iron Horse again and see if the pixels look like they've been smoothed like they look in the video.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

There was a period where the nearby basement arcade would just like, stock themselves with a bunch of weird Japanese games (which isn't 100% legal I think...) and they had this driving game where you were in a deco-tora truck. The cabinet would rock violently as you tried to race your semi to the finish line.

Are you talking about Truck Kyosokyoku?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTs-v2N3QEw&t=147s
(Jump ahead to 2:27 to skip menus and loading screens and stuff)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Interesting that the game lets you continue, but only with quarters you put in when it asks you to, not with credits you added earlier.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

This is the video he meant to link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7VrqdBT1xY

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

I want to say Max gets a last second change of heart and burns the contracts cause the devil's going to screw him over, then he gets a second chance because reasons.

Close. The devil decides to screw him over, and he threatens to tear up the contracts, only for the devil to say that if he does so, he'll be taken to hell now instead of at the end of a natural lifespan. He does it anyway, figuring better him than them, but that act of sacrifice earns him a second chance on earth.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Aces High posted:

I thought Tails couldn't jump high enough to reach Robotnik in MZ, Definitely know that Tails and Knuckles jump lower and so it makes the last Death Egg fight a bitch

Hm? I'm pretty sure Tails handles exactly like Sonic outside of the (rather dumb) multiplayer race mode. At least, I don't remember having any issues making jumps with him.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Yay you used my request! :neckbeard: I'm confused, though. Your comment about Battle Balls suggested you've already played it, but if you did I missed the video...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Yeah, Senkyu ended up being my jam so hard that it basically obliterated our dollar formula; I was able to play for so long that we ended up with probably more than an hour of footage, so we're figuring out how to go about presenting the playthrough.

Huh. I take it you weren't playing in story mode? Or does that not end after you play all the opponents?

Maybe your main video could be versus mode - each of you has a dollar, last man standing - and you could have a supplementary long video?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I like how the demo shows off the cool trick you can do with your character's neck. Specifically, the characters' hitboxes are based on their pixels, and since the protagonist has a gap between his head and body, it's possible for a horizontal shot to pass safely through it. Mind you, it's not terribly practical, as just a little more movement will get the bullet sailing over his head instead of aimed at a narrow target, but it's fun nonetheless.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Maybe you should add some sort of indication when there's been a cut for time? A fade, a Spongebob-esque TEN MINUTES LATER card, or something?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ghostwoods posted:

loving hell, that's a lot of dinosaurs.

That must be where they put all the dinosaurs they didn't put in Trespasser. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The weird sequel to Street Fighter you were trying to think of was Street Fighter 2010.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

And we commemorate Vets Day with the not-so-thrilling conclusion to Street Fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmjIJjHL_U

I don't know if it was a joke or if you went to, like, some cheap plastic imitation of Mount Rushmore, but (at least according to Wikipedia) the faces are 60 feet tall. I can't say for certain (with my whole two minutes of Googling) whether they were intended as a 'gently caress you' to native Americans, though. Certainly they weren't happy about having the land taken away from them.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It's looking rather like my Battle Balls suggestion will show up in 2017, but since you've shown this, I'm going to replace my suggestion of NBA Jam with Tournament Cyberball 2072. Because who doesn't want to see a player blown up when the ball explodes after the last down?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

IT BEGINS. At long last we get to Senkyu Battle Balls. The innocuous puzzle game ended up turning into a five part marathon LP so I believe we're just going to upload one video a day for the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhIQD_2LRM

Something is wrong with this video. The actual video part is playing way too slow; it should look more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltprI9Bmgc

The game audio sounds right, and very quickly gets out of sync with the video, but your commentary audio seems to be synced with the video; was that recorded in post? E: never mind, sounds like that desyncs too.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

So.... all that said, is it just the spliced in game audio that's off or is there actually an issue with the commentary too? I CAN'T TAKE ALL OF THIS UNCERTAINTY.

Having watched the video all the way through this time (and taken advantage of VLC's speed controls to make you all sound like John Moschitta, Jr.), it sounds like the commentary's synced after all, so yay!

Also, I don't think I said this before: congratulations on pronouncing my name correctly! Some people struggle with it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

...huh. For some reason my post isn't showing up in the thread. In fact, the forums keep saying there's one unread message in the thread, and I can't seem to clear that. I'm going to post this in hopes it unsticks whatever.

E: there we go!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Honestly I think this is my favorite play through of anything so far. We go to some strange and terrible places in the ensuing parts.

Well, now I have to share this with my friends. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Yes I had never known true passion until Battle Balls brought light to my benighted existence.

Anyway yes here is part 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SItk6JaF7w

I, for one, am thankful for this week of Battle Balls. (I'm not even very good at it. I just think it has a neat aesthetic and am downright shocked there doesn't seem to be a single clone of it!)

E: also, swirls in the glasses do not mean they're crazy. They mean their glasses are very thick.

E E: the way the combo thing works is down to timing. The first time you both generated crazy combos at once, your combos ended at about the same time, so the blue meters you accumulated making the combos turned into red meters for each other. Red meters only turn into garbage balls after your next ball drop after the meter stops filling. So you each had one last chance to make matches to mitigate the red, but you didn't, so you got dumped on.

The second time, the tanuki completed his big combo first, leaving you with a huge red meter incoming... but since you already had a combo going at that point, your combo ate his, leaving a very tiny amount of blue to get sent his way.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 26, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Looks like the missile gets faster when your fuel gauge runs out. So if you can't clear the stage in time, maybe clear the outermost paths first?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For the record, 'Chelnov' is another Data East game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr6C5vX5YxM

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

And time for me once again to offer a few comments!

Gaiapolis (one of the games on my list) is the game that has a password system. When you get around to it, you might try just gaming over on the first dollar, making a note of the password, and (should you choose to put a second dollar in) using the password and seeing how it works.

Also! The reason Phantasy Star Online has sci-fi elements is that the series has always had sci-fi elements. It's more or less obvious in different games, but the various worlds are actually generation colony ships, something you discover at one point or another. It's a bit like the early Might & Magic games in that way.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I remember Toki now! It was fun, but yeah, a quarter muncher.

Also, in the Lemma and Friends are Bad at Games Department: your weapons were getting more POWerful for some reason. You were also collecting floating things that said POW. Gee, maybe... a connection...? :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Something I just noticed: the cavemen don't have socks when they're fully clothed. Clearly they're not actually socks, but the frayed remnants of their shattered clothing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thy0tEiy_-o

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

drat, I could've sworn I had made a Tim Schaefer joke, but I guess I forgot while we were playing. Even if I had, I'm wondering how many people know of those old Lucas Arts point & click games he made.

That's the second-biggest gun arm I've ever seen!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

CHECK IT OUT WHO ELSE HAS FOND MEMORIES OF JUNGLE HUNT ON ATARI 800XL?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4wbEa3gdE

I thought the timer counted down by tens because you'd get its value as bonus points or something, but nope, just arbitrary point inflation.

According to the manual for the Atari 800 version, those are crocodiles, which makes sense, as alligators are only native to the US and China. There aren't, to my knowledge (i.e., my brief Google), any pink crocodiles (or alligators), though there are albino ones.

Also! If you really want to play an ooooooldschool game, Computer Space was the first arcade game ever. The user interface was a... bit unintuitive, though, so if you wanted to go that route, it'd be a good idea to prep. Also, Warlords would be great, but only if you can round up the full four players. (Another versus game you might like, since I'm thinking of it and since it does two-player: Rampart.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

We're about to start recording some more videos throughout the week, so hopefully if there are any requests, we'll look into recording them now so we can drop them sooner than later.

For ease of reference, here are the games I've suggested in the thread that haven't been used yet:
  • Bank Panic, a first-person shooter of sorts where you defend the Wild West's most poorly-designed bank from an endless supply of no-good bandits while being very careful not to shoot a customer in the face.
  • Blasteroids, which has a couple of neat features, including the ability to join your ships in a two-player game and have one player be a turret.
  • Gaiapolis, a two-person beat-em-up with a sort of overhead view. Has some unusual features, including a password save system in case you don't bring enough cash to finish in one go.
  • Galaga '88, my favorite of the Galaga series for nostalgia reasons. Be sure to go into the game's setting menu to turn continues on; I don't think they are by default. Oh, and don't let them capture your last ship.
  • Rampart, a sort of prototype turret defense game which has an excellent competitive mode. They made a version with joysticks and a version with trackballs, so make sure you get the right one.
  • Tournament Cyberball 2072. Nothing like a game where you pay for a fixed amount of time to suck the quarters! Plus you can get your players blown up.
  • Varth is a vertical shmup with a very handy feature: your bombs regenerate over time, and even regenerate faster if you wiggle the stick, giving you an excuse to use them regularly.

e: Also, the awful Alien game you were thinking of was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 5, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Anyway here we delve into the exciting world of Korean knockoffs with Dragon Bowl, clearly a carbon copy of Eureka's Castle. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPYr8ZQ5IY

Popo was the black guy from Dragon Ball Z, FYI. (Or, at least, the only black guy I know of, not having watched it. The creepy pseudo-blackface one.) The pervert actually pictured on the sign is Master Roshi.

Also, I checked a longplay of the game (because of course there's a longplay of the game) and one of two things is possible. Either you need to push up on the stick while jumping straight up at the highest elevation to catch the ledge, or you need to jump up directly in front of the dead tree holding the platform up. Obviously it's not worth another dollar to investigate, but the obstacle is clearable.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For reference, 'ouroboros' is pronounced 'ah-RAH-bohr-us'. (Oddly enough, Chrome doesn't know 'ouroboros', and suggested I might mean 'Borobudur'.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

It's Monday again, so here's a new episode of MCIHAD! We've got another Data East game (I swear, half of these we didn't even know were Data East), called "Thunder Zone" or sometimes in other regions "Desert Assault". The game reminds me of something, but I can't quite pin it down for some reason. Anyhow hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civPtTXkbPA

According to the International Arcade Museum, Data East put out a total of 68 games between 1980 and 1996; however, over half of them were pinball games. While they did make two arcade games (Ghostlop and Air Walkers) in 1996, a casual Google suggests they were never actually released, so this is probably their last arcade game you could put a dollar into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj0oChxVpv8

It looks like a Puyo Puyo clone at first glance, but the actual rules for clearing are strange, and I don't quite understand them. Sometimes matching three will clear every block of that color. Sometimes it doesn't.

As for the banned honey, are you talking about the honey smuggling from China to the US that was happening around 2011? Apparently the stuff had such fun ingredients as lead (used to do soldering work on beehives), which is why the government imposed hefty tariffs on importing it (why it wasn't banned outright, I don't know), so US businesses resorted to various skulduggery to make it look like it was coming from other Asian countries. I just did a quick Google on this, but it wouldn't surprise me if New Zealand had banned the import, as did other European countries.

This LP thread has been so educational!

Also, apparently you had a MAME error at about 4:29. :v:

E: update last page!

• Locked thread