Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Dunno if you're into shmups at all, but I request that you play some selections from Toaplan's library. They were a little behind technology-wise in the 80's compared to the big guys, but in the early 90s they caught up and the last 4 games they did (Batsugun, V-Five, Dogyuun, Truxton 2, plus Outzone which is a run-n-gun) are spectacular. Their older stuff (Sky Shark, Twin Cobra, for example), while a bit rough-looking/sounding is well designed and widely regarded as classic and highly influential on the genre. Overall I'd say they are my favorite arcade dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

My guess is, like the first two or three seasons of the show, that the non-arcade games were Bart-centric to appeal to preteen boys or whoever their target demographic was.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

It's not a bullet hell, but the same company did invent the bullet hell with their future game V-V ("vee five"). As a big Toaplan fan, I must say that their two horiz shmups (this and Hellfire) are not their best games. This is definitely the better one, IMO, but the devs admitted in posthumous interviews that they didn't know what they were doing and were much better at crafting verticals. For sure, as their last 4 games (Tatsujin Oh/Truxton 2, Dogyuun, V-V/Grind Stormer, and Batsugun) are all masterpiece verts.

I think I like the Mega Drive version of Zero Wing better than the arcade. The graphics aren't as good, but the music is a lot better and the screen doesn't flash red every time you destroy something.

• Locked thread