Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I remember playing that on the Genesis as a kid, I do not remember ever getting past like...the part where you get eaten by a whale?

It was loving annoying as hell to play but the music was cute so I kept playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that Deadly Connection seemed pretty cool, kind of like Caliber .50 except you are only ever on one screen

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

aaaaaahh the Die Hard beat 'em up. I only ever saw this in one arcade when I was growing up, it was at a campground halfway across the country and I only had the opportunity to play it one time. Ever since I wondered what other places it might be but I could never find it, good to see it here though, now I can see the ending :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I missed out on it when it was current but the Chemical Zone 2 portion of Sonic 2 part 2 (holy poo poo that's a lot of 2s) had me rolling, and then the loving Tails shenanigans in Aquatic Zone :allears:

It's like I am 7 years old again

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

if the "Let's develop a drinking problem" Metal Gear LP is anything to go by getting hosed while playing games only goes so far for the player, you gotta have a great supporting cast for commentary. If you don't have that you run into the problem of it just turning into drunken incompetence and no one to really rein it in

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well someone falling asleep during a live skype call will always lead to laughs :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought Tails couldn't jump high enough to reach Robotnik in MZ, Definitely know that Tails and Knuckles jump lower and so it makes the last Death Egg fight a bitch

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought that was something introduced in Sonic 3, much like Tails' ability to actually pick Sonic up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, my sister and I used to tag out for the special stages in 2 because of that. Then I played enough so that I could have Super Sonic by Aquatic Zone and it was gravy :v:

I never liked that Tails only got a "super Tails" transformation if you got all the super emeralds. Yes it was quite a feat but after 2 games of him getting the short stick you'd think it would have been easier because gently caress that one stage that is all yellow ball jumps

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wow so how do you win that Jurassic Park game on only 1 dollar? It didn't seem like there were any ways to stun lock the T-Rex or to stop any of the herds of dinos.

Were a lot of these older arcade boxes designed to just take your money? I mean I understand that they need to take your money but a lot of these seem to go a step beyond "Nintendo Hard"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I remember watching someone get all the way to Apocalypse by themselves on only two or three credits (and it was 50 cents a go) but once he got to Apocalypse he just went "welp" once he ran out of money but watching him play it. I don't know how he got as far as he did or if he had coughed up more money before I showed up because I only saw him in the last 2 or 3 stages before Apocalypse. Just watching Apocalypse I was just in awe by how many undodgeable attacks he made and how much health they took.

I loved me some arcade games too but god drat were they great examples of sunk cost fallacy :smith:

edit: to avoid confusion I am actually talking about X-Men vs. Street Fighter but I think the argument still holds

Aces High fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 23, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so wait, is it the emulator that is loving up a lot of the floor textures or did the game always look like that :stare: I mean, I know it's an old game but I didn't think it looked that bad.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

The House of the Dead games actually do have a strange story to them. In House of the Dead, the story goes that Rogan and G (two government agents from the AMS) are sent to the Curien Mansion after a tip off from a researcher there called Sophie (Rogan's wife). When they get there, it turns out that Curien has gone mad and created a virus that will turn people into zombies and other things. They get through to him fending off multiple enemies and eventually meet Curien. He unveils his masterpiece, the Magician, who then turns on him and proclaims that he will destroy everything, until Rogan and G take him down.

In HotD2, two new AMS agents are sent in to meet with G a few years later and the virus has been released to certain places. G gets injured and James and Gary are sent out to stop a man named Goldman, who was funding the Curien incident. After fighting through more enemies (including a reborn Magician who doesn't rebel against his master), they meet Goldman at his tower building who claims that humans need to be destroyed because they're killing the planet(and is a contender for the greatest piece of voice acting ever). He unveils what he considers the creature to rule over the world and destroy all humans, the Emperor, which is defeated by James and Gary, and then Goldman decides to just fall backwards off the roof after saying something about how it isn't over.

Then we get some Zelda/MGS timeline choices. The next game chronologically is HotD4, which features James and a new female agent called Kate following up on the Goldman incident. It turns out that the viral outbreak has spread around the world, and Goldman is still alive and has a bigger plan involving Pandora's Box. They go around trying to prevent a plot to launch nuclear missiles around the world, and end up finding Pandora's Box, which unleashes Goldman's final creation, The World. James and Kate fight it, but it just keeps getting stronger, so James sacrifices himself to blow it up, killing both of them in the explosion. In the ending, it hints that there were more Pandora's Boxes out there and that it wasn't over.

Finally we have HotD3, which is set 16 years after HotD4, and the world is pretty much hosed. Rogan and another AMS agent go to a facility but are stopped and confronted by a mysterious figure. This prompts G and Lisa (Rogan's daughter) to go looking for them, and they eventually find them and the mysterious figure who is revealed to be Daniel, Curien's son. He was suffering from a seemingly terminal illness so his father before his death at the hands of the Magician had discovered a way to cure it. Daniel reveals that Curien had found the Wheel of Fate, which converted his body into a cyborg and sent him crazy... well, crazier. Usual things happen - Lisa and Daniel destroy the Wheel of Fate, we wait for HotD5.

And then we have HotD: Overkill, with our good friend "G" being a rookie AMS agent and we are killing "mutants" instead of "zombies" :v:

Say what you will about HotD being super cheesy and bad (like Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1 levels of lovely dialogue and delivery) they took that charm and turned it to 11 for Overkill and it was all the better for it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well both the Resident Evil "Chronicles" games were made specifically for the Wii, as they are rail-shooters, and they were hit-and-miss with some parts of both games hitting and then other parts from the games missing by a lot.

There was also that Dead Space rail-shooter as well, but I only know about that one because my cousin gave it to me as a Christmas present and we spent that New Years day beating the damned thing. He also was the one who had Overkill and we both had a shitload of fun playing through it and listening to all the "motherfucker"s in that game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you guys talking poo poo about new Futurama mean you are dismissing gems like Lethal Inspection, The Late Phillip J. Fry, Game of Tones, and Meanwhile <:mad:>

Yes new Futurama had a couple stinkers too but to write the whole thing off is just short-sighted

• Locked thread