Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

Then again, Metal Gear Rising was fun and silly.

You can probably chalk that up to Platinum.

Also, if we're going down the Konami beatemup route, what about Metamorphic Force? That was pretty awesome, plus seeing a grizzly bear DDT a giant goat demon never gets old.

As for other games you should try, go with Mutant Fighter/Death Brade. I hope your fingers are good for mashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

Oh cool, yeah I'll note all these. Some of the Konami titles we have coming up aren't beat em ups per se. They really seem to have had an oddball experimental phase that I never knew about before. That said, we also have some lesser known relics from Capcom and non-extant companies that we unearthed, too; I am actually surprised at the sophistication of a few of these games from the late 70's/early 80's period; one wonders why Donkey Kong came to define that period in game history when there were considerably more repayable games available. Marketing?

Maybe it's the World Warrior effect. Despite the fact that Street Fighter III was a superior game and the character designs were far superior, because it wasn't successful, most people still want the original twelve SFII characters and Cammy and Akuma. That's why they were all in SFIV and why 7 of the 9 announced SFV characters are in that group of 14 and why I'm not hyped for the game at all.

Anyway, back on topic, if they've got it emulated properly now, you could try Lucky and Wild. The last time I tried it was a several years back. The game ran, but the second player's controls were dodgy so you couldn't shoot.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

Yeah, that sounds right. The Sandler Principle.

Lucky and Wild; cool. I'll be sure to add it to the list. We have a ton of games both requested and found and we'll try to get to them all in time.

AMovieReference posted:

We can definitely put Lucky and Wild on the list (I'm one of the guys who is part of the Let's Play, finally made an SA account). Hopefully Lemme is able to come down here often enough to be able to record stuff a little more often than we normally do.

By the way, when we do "Season 2" would it be unwelcome if we started another thread? I might be taking over if that is the case, since I can't edit Lemma's front page post, and potentially anything new we put would be a hassle to find if you had to go digging for the posts. If not, I'm sure we can work something out.

Cool, looking forward to it.

Lemma posted:

Meanwhile…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_3bvXBDyT8

New LP is up; this time it's Two Crewd, otherwise known as Two Crude Dudes. It's pretty unremarkable for a beat em up, mechanics-wise- there isn't even a pseudo z-axis. However, it's always fun to bask in the sheer insanity of early 90's imaginings of the apocalypse. This is also one of the better commentaries we managed to record; we're starting to really get the hang of it by this point. Hope you like Rocky Horror anecdotes.

Ah, Two Crude Dudes. A favourite of mine and a friend's. We played the Megadrive version though, which had a few differences (the stages were slightly different, graphics and animation weren't as great), but the game was pretty much the same. You could do some stupid stuff in that game like grabbing flying hovercraft out of the air, and picking up tanks. Also, the end of stage vending machine was a bonus stage and not just a transition. It was stupid though, because you had to attack the machine, then drink the can that came out to regain health. However, drinking took a while, and you could be hit by your partner, which always leads to petty squabbles and in the end you went into the next stage with less health than you started with.

AMovieReference posted:

Also about Street Fighter, I think SF3 is probably too technical for the average schmo, almost everyone in the cast was a new character (except Ken and Ryu, and Akuma and Chun-Li in Third Strike), most of the cast used charged moves, and the introduction of the parry system seemed to turn people off, which is why I think SFII always did better.

It might also have been because SFII was on every console at the time, more people had a chance to play it. SFIII was only on the Dreamcast at first.

Also, due to me being a massive nerd and filling my brain with inane and pedantic nonsense, I think there were more charge based characters in SFII. Honda, Guile, Chun, Blanka, Balrog, Vega, Bison, Deejay (who were all purely charge aside from Balrog's Turn Punch and Honda's Oicho Throw) as opposed to Oro, Urien, Remy, and Q, with all of them having motion commands as well (with Alex and Chun-li having one charge move each). I could be so much further on in life had I actually learned something useful.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

Man, my dream is to one day have a racing game cabinet in my house. I can't decide if it would be something like Hydro Thunder, or San Francisco Rush: 2049.

The coolest (and most difficult) one I've seen was this really awesome looking F-Zero game, where you sat in an actual pod and everything. I remember the controller being slightly broken, so I didn't get the full experience, but I think the whole cart moved the way the vehicle did in the game too.

Probably F-Zero AX, the arcade version of the Gamecube's GX, which was a collaboration between Nintendo (publisher), Sega (developer), and Namco (hardware manufacturer). It's considered by many as the best F-Zero game and one of the finest racers of all time.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Chiller. I'm going to use this as the game that will make my friend go "What the...?" on Friday. He's going to use Harvester on me.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Bad mouthing Sonic? Not mentioning the glorious nation of Turkmenistan (despite me actually being British)? How dare you! Consider this one fan lost!

I kid, of course. Even though I'm a huge Sonic fan and will defend the series and try and see the best in each game, you are right - Sega have done terrible things to their mascot, but I can't fault them for at least trying new things (it gave us some great games in the 90s). Problem is, they never had that loyal Nintendo fanbase that will buy each new iteration regardless of how similar it is to the last. It's like the bit in the Simpsons where they release a new Malibu Stacey which is the same as the old one but with a new hat.

In defence of some of the more recent games, Unleashed's day stages were really good, Colours was solid, and Generations is one of the best Sonic games ever. 2006 however was an abomination (albeit with really good music), and Boom... no, not going there.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Simon The Digger posted:

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I'd like to request Gaia Crusaders, which is probably one of the best beat-em-ups that nobody's ever heard of. My favorite part is that your playable characters range from Standard Male Beat-Em-Up Protagonist #47 to an ambiguously Asian mystic-type person to a robo-lady, and another cool thing about it is that one of the creators of Golden Axe, Rieko "Phoenix Rie" Kodama, worked on it.

I remember Gaia Crusaders. It was fun, but compared to the other big Noise Factory beatemup (Sengoku 3), it was kinda lacking in gameplay.

As for DJ Boy, the weird thing that bothers me about it is the fact that in some stages they're skating on what looks like cobbled streets. That's pretty much impossible to do. I don't know why it bothers me, since Skate doing the dash on the beach and in the factory on Streets of Rage 2 never bothered me... until now. Damnit.

Nerd moment alert.

SNK didn't get bought out by Atlus. In the early 2000s, they got bought out by a company called Playmore and became SNK:Playmore. They continued to release games but slowed down because of money issues, until they were bought out again a few months ago by a Chinese company called Leyou Milennium who were after the IPs with a desire to make more things based on them (not just games, but animes and movies too). As for Atlus, the only reason why they're are linked to SNKP are because they published KOFXIII on consoles.

As for Sammy, they only published arcade games. In the case of DJ Boy, it was developed by Kaneko, and the Guilty Gear games are made by Arc System Works. Sammy did however develop the arcade board that the original GGX and other games ran on (Atomiswave) which was a modified Naomi board from Sega. They were eventually acquired by Sega and became Sega Sammy Holdings. Their main thing now is pachinko and pachislot.

End of nerd moment.

Choco1980 posted:

I love that you cut RIGHT on falling into that drat stupid short spring trap.

You know that they're probably going to bounce out the wrong way as soon as they try to jump as well.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I was most definitely of the same thought about them being like unicycling Waldos. The Soviet thing however, I'm not sure about.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

I am at least somewhat ashamed to admit that that 'in Soviet Russia Waldo find YOU' image macro served as the basis of that reference.

edit:

Just so I don't double post, here's the penultimate episode of our enlightening Sonic 2 playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtlN4xcd7U

Herein an invaluable glimpse into the creative process. Also watch Kyle do such a bad job of pitching us Micheal Ian Black that even the mic quits of its own volition.

I am completely unashamed to admit that as soon as you said "Soviet", I thought of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKzesTq0Wo

Also, screw those mantis robots in Metropolis. I forget their names, but they ALWAYS got me.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember I was sure Tails could fly in Sonic 2 when the second player played as him, and then when I had Sonic Jam on Saturn, I never could get him to fly. I then remembered it was Sonic 3 where he could fly and carry Sonic. Also, I'm sure he could jump normally too.

I remember always turning him off when playing single player because he would screw me over on the special stages.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, my sister and I used to tag out for the special stages in 2 because of that. Then I played enough so that I could have Super Sonic by Aquatic Zone and it was gravy :v:

I never liked that Tails only got a "super Tails" transformation if you got all the super emeralds. Yes it was quite a feat but after 2 games of him getting the short stick you'd think it would have been easier because gently caress that one stage that is all yellow ball jumps

Yeah, I always found that unfair as well. Sonic and Knuckles get the Super and Hyper modes, but Tails only gets Super mode and only if you're playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The game's name reminded me of the best arcade fighting game I ever played: Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness. Giant robots fighting each other, all their moves are supremely awesome. IIRC unlocking the secret character is a challenge unto itself (see if you manage to unlock the octobot).

The Super-8 was pretty amusing, and Devilotte attained quite a lot of popularity despite only appearing in one game. Her dad was in the console version and had the Zero Akuma mech, which was a giant Akuma robot complete with robot versions of his SFA moveset.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
That first form of Hambone was stupid. How were you supposed to stop it from whittling down your health with the machine gun? Also, it seemed like it didn't matter where you shot them. Five headshots or five bodyshots seemed to kill the zombies.

Also, after reading the Wikipedia page on the game, it seems it was made by Midway (because they were well known for their stellar games), and that guy on the game over screen I'm guessing was the big bad guy and the final boss. Also, there was apparently two versions of the Freak Show level. One was demonic teddy bear called Deaddy, but the real one was a giant deformed baby called Junior.

As for the 50 cents being the lowest setting to play is lousy for a game that has some horrendous methods of reducing your life.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

I know! That's literally comparable to an American university. If poo poo's THAT slanted against you, you got some lovely game design.

In other gun games, you have some way of staying safe and stopping damage.. In House of the Dead, you can shoot pretty much all projectiles. In Time Crisis, you can hide. In Virtua Cop, you have an indication of when enemies will attack (and in VC3, you can actually shoot bullets out of the sky with the Enhanced Sensory bullet time feature). In this, it's get shot with the machine gun and all you can do is try and reduce the damage you receive.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember seeing the Outfoxies as part of a mystery game tournament at Hypespotting back in 2014. That game was dumb, but funny.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

Is Hypespotting a convention? It sounds like a G4 show. There is probably also a trainspotting joke in there.
It's a Scottish fighting game tournament run by Affro and the Versus Scotland guys. It's an incredibly fun event where everyone gets loud and has fun. I went to the first and third ones in 2012 and 2014 (the first one was when we kinda rigged the community voted game and got Virtua Fighter 5 in the lineup, while the second was just me heading up to see friends and play VF with them. It's probably the biggest FG tourney in the UK (although not exactly Evo-sized) now considering that Super Versus Battle doesn't seem to exist anymore and from what I heard was run pretty disastrously, and Hypespotting is a Premier event on the Capcom Pro Tour (meaning it's one of the 16 main tournaments in the world for the CPT), so they've done pretty well in a few years.

They also have a pub quiz on the Saturday night, which is always funny (don't let anyone see you use your phone). Plus when you have a wedding party next door and it's being drowned out by several hundred people singing the Wily Fortress theme from Megaman 2 at loud volume, you can't beat that kind of silliness. Oh, and yes, the name is a play on Trainspotting.

Lemma posted:

Hey everyone! Is Jurrassic World still topical? I don't know but if it is, that makes our new LP all the more topical: Jurrassic Park light gun mu'fu'as!!!!!

https://youtu.be/pOo1TxrmzpM

It is.... wacky.
I always liked that game. It was a fun game with soooo many raptors.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

didn't realise sega did a jurassic park game before the model 3 version - which was loving amazing

That'll learn me to comment before watching the video. I thought this was going to be The Lost World one.

Which incidentally you guys can now play via Supermodel.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

I messed around with the supermodel stuff a while back and got irritated because there are games that I wanted to do for the show that are only on there that just don't work. One of them being Virtual On, and the Star Wars Trilogy was another. Then someone (was it you?) requested Ocean Hunter, for which I couldn't get the controls to work at all. Most of the graphics are missing for several of the games, so I'm hoping that Bart has a huge update sometime in the near future. . . I'm not hopeful though. :/

Also speaking of the same requester, Let's Go! Jungle is also not dumped anywhere on the internet, and the only time I've ever seen it was when I was living in Korea, so. . . I'm trying to convince myself that if this show keeps going and we're still doing this in like a year, we might all just fly out to Asia so we can play the freaking thing, as well as other crazy cool new games.

I requested Lucky and Wild, but I didn't request Ocean Hunter. It does sound like a lot of fun though, so if Model 3 emulation does improve, I would also like to see it.

Also, Let's Go! Jungle hasn't been dumped for a simple reason. Lindbergh emulation isn't exactly at it's best yet. There's one for Linux that is optimised to run After Burner Climax, but it should be a while before it works fully with the other stuff.

Oh, and while looking at old Sega arcade games, the ST-V/Saturn games Athlete Kings/Decathlete and the sequel Winter Heat were fun and games you might want to try. Pole Vault will screw you over at first.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I've been playing a fair bit of Dodonpachi: Daifukkatsu recently which is very, very bullet hell-y, but all scrolling shooters have hitboxes smaller than the player's sprite, be it ship, person, whatever. That's the only way you can survive against the projectile nets. It's easier to spot them in Cave shooters because they usually have a big glowing spot that shows you them (in Deathsmiles, it's the heart, in Dodonpachi, it's the flashing star thing in the middle of your ship).

I dont know posted:

Yes, remember "Nintendo hard" was in large part because original nes games were copying the structure of arcade games. Hell, a lot of the games from the 80's and early 90's would just straight up drain your health constantly (the amount being set by the arcade operator). So even if you played perfectly, you would still eventually die.

Konami games were terrible for this. Metamorphic Force I know had the counting down health thing (Simpsons and Vendetta may have done this too), and I think X-Men's special caused you to lose life before you used the stock you had (one special was three units of health and the health bar was ten units). I think Violent Storm was the only relatively fair one.

Aces High posted:

I remember watching someone get all the way to Apocalypse by themselves on only two or three credits (and it was 50 cents a go) but once he got to Apocalypse he just went "welp" once he ran out of money but watching him play it. I don't know how he got as far as he did or if he had coughed up more money before I showed up because I only saw him in the last 2 or 3 stages before Apocalypse. Just watching Apocalypse I was just in awe by how many undodgeable attacks he made and how much health they took.

I loved me some arcade games too but god drat were they great examples of sunk cost fallacy :smith:

edit: to avoid confusion I am actually talking about X-Men vs. Street Fighter but I think the argument still holds

Not to sound elitist, but Apocalypse is probably the easiest boss in any Marvel game made by Capcom (and probably the easiest Marvel game to date). The only really dangerous attack to worry about is the drill but it's super easy to spot and you can super jump it or at least push block it back. Magneto in Children of the Atom, now THAT was a cheap boss. Thanos was exploitable if you knew his patterns, Cyber Akuma was tricky if you let him rush you down, Onslaught wasn't bad if you played it safe, Abyss was easy, and Galactus was relatively simple as well.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Simpsons worked just like X-men and most other brawlers of that entire decade--you have a super move (usually by pushing both buttons at the same time) that would deplete your energy if you used it. I want to say Knights of the Round did that too. That one was a fun beat em up. In fact, I'll request it for the thread: Hey youse guys, add "Knights of the Round" to your request list!

Pretty much all Capcom brawlers have the press jump and attack at the same time "get off me" special. Final Fight, Knights of the Round, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Alien vs Predator, Armoured Warriors, Battle Circuit. I'm trying to think if Shadow Over Mystara does as well, but because I play the Cleric, I only remember that his special is the undead killer move.

Also, I second Knights of the Round.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Also because people should see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzWIHRJ2j4I

The sequel is good too?

That's erm... yeah. What?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The House of the Dead games actually do have a strange story to them. In House of the Dead, the story goes that Rogan and G (two government agents from the AMS) are sent to the Curien Mansion after a tip off from a researcher there called Sophie (Rogan's wife). When they get there, it turns out that Curien has gone mad and created a virus that will turn people into zombies and other things. They get through to him fending off multiple enemies and eventually meet Curien. He unveils his masterpiece, the Magician, who then turns on him and proclaims that he will destroy everything, until Rogan and G take him down.

In HotD2, two new AMS agents are sent in to meet with G a few years later and the virus has been released to certain places. G gets injured and James and Gary are sent out to stop a man named Goldman, who was funding the Curien incident. After fighting through more enemies (including a reborn Magician who doesn't rebel against his master), they meet Goldman at his tower building who claims that humans need to be destroyed because they're killing the planet(and is a contender for the greatest piece of voice acting ever). He unveils what he considers the creature to rule over the world and destroy all humans, the Emperor, which is defeated by James and Gary, and then Goldman decides to just fall backwards off the roof after saying something about how it isn't over.

Then we get some Zelda/MGS timeline choices. The next game chronologically is HotD4, which features James and a new female agent called Kate following up on the Goldman incident. It turns out that the viral outbreak has spread around the world, and Goldman is still alive and has a bigger plan involving Pandora's Box. They go around trying to prevent a plot to launch nuclear missiles around the world, and end up finding Pandora's Box, which unleashes Goldman's final creation, The World. James and Kate fight it, but it just keeps getting stronger, so James sacrifices himself to blow it up, killing both of them in the explosion. In the ending, it hints that there were more Pandora's Boxes out there and that it wasn't over.

Finally we have HotD3, which is set 16 years after HotD4, and the world is pretty much hosed. Rogan and another AMS agent go to a facility but are stopped and confronted by a mysterious figure. This prompts G and Lisa (Rogan's daughter) to go looking for them, and they eventually find them and the mysterious figure who is revealed to be Daniel, Curien's son. He was suffering from a seemingly terminal illness so his father before his death at the hands of the Magician had discovered a way to cure it. Daniel reveals that Curien had found the Wheel of Fate, which converted his body into a cyborg and sent him crazy... well, crazier. Usual things happen - Lisa and Daniel destroy the Wheel of Fate, we wait for HotD5.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Bart vs the Space Mutants was dodgy, but Bart vs the World was TERRIBLE, and Virtual Bart was just messed up.

Also, that 554 episodes at once video was hard to watch, although the only thing I focused on was this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xda7ry_sidewinder_fun

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

I can't seem to find the source of this anymore, but I remember hearing that a lot of the design for the Simpsons arcade game was similar in approach of its design to the english version of the Samurai Pizza Cats cartoon: They couldn't understand the source well so they made a lot of poo poo up.

The gist of it is, Konami (and most japanese people) didn't know much about the Simpsons. They were sent a lot of character art and some amount of bio's, show assets, etc, but the show was untranslated and there just wasn't a lot of information available to them to get a better gist of the universe. The end result, lots of stuff is made up, a bunch of really strange inaccuracies and things that are out of character. They made a lot of assumptions and if you look closely, it's pretty hit-or-miss.

Well, considering that the plot of the game is Smithers is stealing a diamond for Mr. Burns, the richest man in town, for no real reason other than monetary gain makes little sense. Still an interesting game though.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ahhh, Street Fighter. When you look at it, you have to wonder how it became the most well known fighter in the world. Trivia time:

Street Fighter was originally called "Fighting Street". They changed it for some reason though. There were two versions of the game with different controls. One with the standard six button layout, and one with two pressure sensitive buttons that would give you the different levels of strength in punch and kick depending on how hard you hit them.

Sagat only had Tiger Shot and Tiger Knee in the game. Because they were fast and annihilated you, my friend and I coined the term "Tiger, Knee, put more money in me".

Retsu was a monk working at the temple where Gouken taught Ryu and Ken karate (I think).

Final Fight was originally supposed to be a sequel to SF, but was switched to a side scroller. Also, Mike Haggar was meant to be in SF2 instead of Zangief, but the developers felt they had too many USA guys in there, so he became Russian. Zangief was also originally called "Vodka Gabolski".

Combos were a glitch discovered in SF2. They weren't intentional but people discovered them.

In addition to the Boxer/Claw/Dictator, there are a few other characters that have name swaps. They are Charlie/Nash, and Akuma/Gouki. For some reason in SFV, they kept it as Nash for the west.

No comment on SF2010 though. As said earlier, I know it was a localisation bodge job, but until it does something as annoying as the Megaman X5 one, I won''t hate on it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

We'll catch back up on Street Fighter next week, but for now we've got more Simpsons Arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8oLnjIgG0

I think after reading all the Street Fighter stuff being talked about in here, I've been reignited in my excitement for SFV. I haven't really played SFIV in a long while, ever since going to Japan and getting my rear end kicked super hard by dudes getting off of work in their business suits. If they bring in Juri like rumored, I think I'll be sold.

Months ago they mined some data from files before the Dhalsim reveal. In the character section, the following files were found:
ALX/mesh/01/ALX_01.fbx
BSN/mesh/01/BSN_01.fbx
DSM/mesh/01/DSM_01.fbx
FAN/mesh/01/FAN_01.fbx
GUL/mesh/01/GUL_01.fbx
IBK/mesh/01/IBK_01.fbx
JRI/mesh/01/JRI_01.fbx
NDK/mesh/01/NDK_01.fbx
URN/mesh/01/URN_01.fbx

Knowing that Dhalsim is in, and Fan/Zen is the rumoured last newcomer. We also assume NDK is Mika's tag partner, so those three can be ignored. Then, in the most recent beta, some audio files were mined as well, with announcer voice clips saying Alex, Balrog, Guile, Ibuki, Juri, and Urien. So yeah, you can get excited for it more. I just wish we had gotten Q instead of Balrog.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

you guys talking poo poo about new Futurama mean you are dismissing gems like Lethal Inspection, The Late Phillip J. Fry, Game of Tones, and Meanwhile <:mad:>

Yes new Futurama had a couple stinkers too but to write the whole thing off is just short-sighted

Nixon dubbing over G.I. Zapp and trying to make it not violent makes the new series worth it by itself, and I wasn't even particularly fond of the rest of that episode.

The feature length ones sucked though (although Bender's Game and Into the Wild Green Yonder weren't too bad).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
There are five countries with two opponents in each. Japan (Retsu and Geki). USA (Joe and Mike), China (Lee and Gen), UK (Birdie and Eagle), and Thailand (Adon and Sagat).

And I agree that the controls in this game are really, REALLY bad. Kicks are pretty much useless and while I would never advocate mashing in any fighting game (outside of stuff like supers in Marvel to get more hits and damage), trying to mash out Hadoukens and using standing punches as your anti airs are actually your best strategy. The part where you got beat by Joe spamming jump kick over and over again is a common occurrence in this game. Most characters can and will have patterns where they do a neverending stream of jump attacks and you have a small window to punch them out of it. Birdie and Adon are the worst for this, especially the latter who's jump attack is his Jaguar Kick from later games, and seems to be massively +frames on block. Capcom never really learned how to balance their games properly.

Also, we already know who will be next on Mount Rushmore.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The Die Hard Arcade thing was Deep Scan. You were on a boat and had to drop depth charges onto submarines to get points. The lower down a submarine was, the more points it was worth. It was rather annoying, but after a while, it became easy to get credits for it.

Also, I always remember the "Main Parogram" in the credits and why they threw away the diamond. Surely even the reward money would be pretty hefty.

And yes, Bart vs the World was an atrocity. The China levels skateboarding down the Great Wall and the Antarctic ice cave levels are some of the most horribly designed things ever.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for playing it, guys. I'm pretty sure the characters are based on Tango and Cash, the Stallone/Russell movie, considering that one of them looks like a businessman and the other looks like a layabout. It was a fun game though.

Also, there didn't seem to be too many issues with the sound or anything for me.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Sly Spy just seems to be them taking memorable parts of a lot of James Bond movies. You have Jaws, Oddjob, the Golden Gun, and the theme from The Spy Who Loved Me among others, but it doesn't seem like that terrible a game. There is a similar game not made by Data East but it is very weird. It's called Thunder Jaws. The final boss is rather... different.

As for Data East, I can't remember if I said this already, but my friend and I have a special place in our hearts for them. There are a few games that they made which you would be amused by:

Mutant Fighter: A co-op vs brawler where you play a bunch of different monsters and mythical beings. You want to see a werewolf fight the hydra? You can here. Hercules vs a dragon? It's in here too. A golem vs the minotaur? Also possible. If you do play it though, either have turbo functions on your controllers or you might break them from the mashing (and possibly lose in the process). Also, all the characters are worth playing just for the things they say when they do their super throws.

Street Hoop: A 3 on 3 basketball game which is really fun and easy to play. Also features a super shot feature (although why you'd use the dunk and not the three pointer, I don't know). Has a sequel called Dunk Dream 95/Hoops 96 which has a few new features and four player (I think).

Side Pocket: A pool game with some rather bizarre ball physics. Especially when the "Data East Super" rebound comes into play and will confuse the hell out of you.

Windjammers: You should know this one though. It's such a silly game, but it's so much fun. I'm surprised that no-one has tried to make a modern day version of it. I may have to go to Kickstarter with it.

Random Castlevania comment: Symphony of the Night did come out on the Saturn, but it was only available in Japan under the name Dracula X (not to be confused with the SNES game of the same name).

Phantasy Star talk: The original was on the Master System, while II, III and IV were on the Mega Drive/Genesis. The third game was kinda separate from the others due to a different development team, but had some neat ideas. The first, second, and fourth game however all were based in the Algol star system, which was comprised of three planets, each with a different culture (Parma which is the elite planet where everything is technologically advanced, Motavia which is the more normal planet and most similar to Earth , and Dezolis which is the planet of ice and snow where the alien humanoid Dezolians live). I never played the first one, but I played the second and fourth, and they're both really good RPGs. The fourth one especially because it closes that part of the series off nicely.

Also, I only played the demo of PSU. It was fun though and I did grind through a few characters. The only thing was that you had to stay the hell away from server 1, because it was full of people trying to sell nude pics for money and other weirdness. I got put in there by random once, and was chased around the lobby by some guy just spamming a speech bubble saying "DEMO NOOB!" over and over again.

Some people are weird.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

eXistenZ was a regular theatrical movie, not a syfy original. It's a cool movie but super weird. And it had the unfortunate timing of being a movie about virtual reality and video games messing with what's real for you that came out in 1999 so nobody actually sat and watched it in the theater. It took years for people to take Cronenberg seriously again.

I remember that film because of a small article on it in Sega Saturn Magazine. I saw a small bit of it a year later and I distinctly remember the gun made from bones because there was a bit where he got it through a metal detector before shooting a bunch of people.

Also, the "Watch Hard Head 2". No, I'd rather not.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Schaefer and Predator Warrior both have jump grabs like Haggar in Final Fight. Schaefer's is a literal powebomb and is the most damaging single move in the game. It can take out a bunch of enemies if you powerbomb one into a group.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I don't remember Jungle Hunt, but I do remember Jungle King, which was pretty much exactly the same game. I don't know which one was a clone of which though.

FredMSloniker posted:

[list][*]Bank Panic, a first-person shooter of sorts where you defend the Wild West's most poorly-designed bank from an endless supply of no-good bandits while being very careful not to shoot a customer in the face.

The bank being poorly designed is definitely true. Fortunately, if you're not watching a any of the fifteen doors with a robber waiting behind it, they will wait patiently until you do come to them.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

Still awaiting Crossed Swords.

That was the first person Neo Geo one that wasn't The Super Spy, right?

Also, PLEASE DO NOT DO THE SUPER SPY. There's a longplay of that game and I feel sorry for the person who did that.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

17 part Super Spy play through, coming up!
Please don't. I beg of you. It would end the series permanently if you were to try this.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Simon The Digger posted:

Eagerly awaiting the day when you get to my request of Gaia Crusaders. Seriously, it's a really great beat-em-up that's so damned obscure that sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who knows it exists.

To be fair, the only reason I knew it existed was because I saw it on the front page of a ro... I mean arcade resources site. It reminded me of Sengoku 3 (and with good reason - both were made by Noise Factory), another scrolling beat-em-up that I had really enjoyed and decided to try it out. It's decent, but not as good as Sengoku 3.

Also, Sengoku 3 is far better than the original two, which I always loved for some reason, and I have no idea why because the gameplay was so dull. I also have no idea why I found the idea of the samurai with the cowboy hat amazing, but there you go.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I always thought the chronology was:
Street Fighter 1
Alpha 1
Alpha 2
Alpha 3
SF2 (all versions)
SF4 (all versions)
SF5
SF3 (all versions)

Story wise, I would have preferred it if Alpha 3 was the last one with Bison in it, because it wraps up so nicely especially with Ryu's ending and everyone being linked somehow. However, they kept him alive and they keep bringing him back again and again and it's boring. I groaned when I saw him back for SF5.

I noticed you only doing level 1 supers. Supers in A1 and A2 were a little different to A3, as you could do a level 1 super by pressing one button, a level 2 super with two buttons, and a level 3 with all three. It was easier in A3 with level 1s being done with lights, level 2s being done with mediums, and level 3s being done with heavies. Also, every character has multiple supers (Akuma's others being hcb,hcb+P, qcf,qcf+P in the air, and the classic LP,LP,f,LK,HP). And then there are the custom combos that break the game.

Also, the AI falls into some stupid patterns at times. With Adon against CPU Ryu, you can do HK Jaguar Tooth, he'll jump up and do j.LK which will whiff, to which you can sweep him, then do HK Jaguar Tooth and repeat. Sagat has a similar pattern.

As for the champions, Valle, yes, but the other two. I'm not sure how good either of them were back in the day, while Wong made his name in Marvel. All I know about Sabin is that he plays Dhalsim.

Finally if you want to play the best SF game to date, try SFEX2+. It's such a fun game.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

Wong took 2nd place two years in a row at EVO against Daigo for Street Fighter IV. He also has that famous moment from SF3 (once again against Daigo).

To be fair, the Daigo moment however is famous because it was a clutch moment, and it wasn't a match winning game (I think it was the first game only), and despite being in Capcom Cup this year where he went 0-2 as most people predicted (it wasn't a surprise, Gootecks) he was pretty much in only because of the amount of tournaments he went to. I also kinda want to say that was due to how good Elena is. Don't get me wrong, he's a better fighting game player than me in a lot of games (he's free in Virtua Fighter though), and he will always be the best Marvel vs Capcom player, but while he's not washed up, he's nowhere near his prime either.

The pic is pretty cool though. Of the group there, I've only met Fuudo (as part of the VF5FS tournament at Evo 2012) and Wong (in the MvC3 Doom/Skrull/Trish/Chun build tournament where he beat me senseless in the quarter finals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

We're gonna start hitting the requests hard starting next Monday, with Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

Everything to do with Moonwalker, film or games, is bizarre.

• Locked thread