Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The DS port was the first game I got when I bought my DS years back, as it was in a cheap bin. It was a lot of fun but it came from when every title for the system had to utilize the touch screen so it got weird. I never even had heard of the game before that. Then I got the PS2 Taito arcade collection that includes the original arcade version. I've spent so much time on that drat game, it's crazy in depth.

Also, I like how nearly immediately after starting you guys discover a warp zone and immediately ignore it. Finally, I think you had to take turns manually because you were continuing--player 2 couldn't continue player 1's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What a strange game. I've never even heard of that before, and that's saying something. Kinda a cross between mario and bubble bobble?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As someone who gets shout outs so regularly by the guys doing the entire Final Fantasy series that I'm practically a guest star along the lines of a "wacky neighbor" character, I say call out whoever you want. It's not like you're using their real life name or anything.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I've heard of it, but you've already gone further than I've seen of it. It seems a little ludicrous in the best way.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well lately Konami's been trying to get out of the straight video game business (RIP so many franchises) and focusing on pachinko and slot machines. To be fair, that's a MUCH more lucrative area.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There was a period where the nearby basement arcade would just like, stock themselves with a bunch of weird Japanese games (which isn't 100% legal I think...) and they had this driving game where you were in a deco-tora truck. The cabinet would rock violently as you tried to race your semi to the finish line.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Are you talking about Truck Kyosokyoku?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTs-v2N3QEw&t=147s
(Jump ahead to 2:27 to skip menus and loading screens and stuff)

Maybe, it's been a while. For some reason my brain inserted a kidnapping plot into the game, but otherwise it looks and sounds right. Every shift and tilt you see of the cab in that video, the seat would tilt in accordance. Between that and the lumbering elephant style of steering a semi has, it's a lot harder to play than it looks

Ghostwoods posted:

EDIT: ^^^ o_O I'm not convinced that harvesting road-tuna is considered sanitary...

That's pretty cool, actually. Arkanoid by way of Gradius and pinball is an interesting mash-up.

Makes me think to request Quarth for the LP. It's kinda like tetris or arkanoid meets space invaders. Had a few ports.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's been several years since I visited it, and last time it seemed slightly more "traditional" in its game choices, but that arcade I mentioned before with all the weird and probably illegal in this country Japanese games had some really goofy gimmick ones. I remember there was a music game ala Guitar Hero where you waved your hands in front of panels, essentially making it a "Theramin Hero" game. Also I remember a cool motion-based boxing game where you stuck these controller-gloves on and actually bobbed and weaved to dodge incoming punches as well as punched at air to hit your opponent. It was an incredible workout actually.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lemma posted:

Theramin Hero… seems un-ironically like something they'd have tried to roll out on Kinect.

You aren't playing an instrument by waving your hands? Are you? Are you sure you aren't thinking of that one DJ game that's supposed to be horrifically complex? LIke, you have a turntable and a bunch of sound control switches and everything? I think the turntable in that works not by actually spinning but with some kind of weird sensor like that.

Looking it up, I Don't Know was right, it was Para Para Paradise.

Also, this Mikie game is amazing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikie

Wow, the game just keeps getting better. You guys didn't see that you could pick up the basketballs in the second room in the corners and hurl them at the faculty. Later the cooks throw beef legs at you. This game is amazing and shouldn't be so unknown...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chiller is definitely a game alright. The NES port was the easiest go-to illustration for why not having the "Nintendo seal of approval" meant a game was poo poo. Even emulated, that thing is buggy as hell and half the time flat out doesn't work. It has all the care put into it of an Action 52. The fact that most other non-approved NES games worked just fine (such as the world of Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree) don't matter, it's the one bad apple that ruins the bunch.

Also, just going to say it, I liked the music to the first intro better, but that's just me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nah, it's not ruined I'll keep watching. I just liked the more punkish sound of the first intro.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, seemed pretty straightforward. Kinda reminds me of Joust, but not exactly. Surprised it's not a more remembered game.

Speaking of the title, I have a game called "A Wizard's Lizard" where you play as a dragon. It's kinda a Binding of Isaac rip-off but not nearly as good. It does have an odd feature where you get two lives and when you die the first time all the ghosts of the regular enemies come after you now being able to hurt you, but it's mostly a pretty blah game with bad controls.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I just looked up the game on youtube, it looks like there's a way to use the right hand too, which speeds things up. Also it looks like if you're PERFECTLY STILL there's a lot of blows to the head you can withstand. That said, the guy playing still had several bullshit moments where he ate a death just to clear the obstacles from the screen. What a bullshit game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love that you cut RIGHT on falling into that drat stupid short spring trap.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bill Cosby as the Devil, you say?

Also, man, this game always seemed so awesome in arcades when I was a kid but I was NO good at it. and the synth voices were loud too. Glad to see it's so bizarre.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lemma posted:

Choco1980: Is that..... actually Cosby?

Yup, from The Devil and Max Devlin. One of the last major live action films Disney made before the Eisner era. Elliot Gould is a sinful man that dies and goes to Hell. Cosby plays ostensibly the Devil, actually his right hand man Barney Satin. Most of the time he's not in the devil makeup, but a few times he's seen in it with fire and brimstone and screaming all around him. He makes a deal with Max, to send him back to Earth for 2 months to try to get 3 people to sell their souls to the Devil, with him as a wish granting middleman. He targets two like 19-20 ish types, one a woman that wants to be a pop star, and the other a man that wants to be a dirt bike champion. His third target ends up being a 7 year old boy who asks him to marry his mother. In retrospect, the movie is pretty crazy for Disney, but I liked it as a kid.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want to say Max gets a last second change of heart and burns the contracts cause the devil's going to screw him over, then he gets a second chance because reasons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

"we are probably the only Let's Players abusing substances..."

I for one would like to welcome you to your first day in the subforums...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I like to think I was one of those "great supporting cast for commentary" people as I was part of the Metal Gear Ghost Babel drunkstream, high on hydrocodone I might add. That was an...interesting night.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

He claims that's a gag he pulls on his friends regularly. Uh huh.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

AMovieReference posted:

Alright, it's Wednesday, and it's time for part 2 of DJ Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JvLqiaYHs

Sonic 2 continues tomorrow, and I swear to god, we'll something that isn't a sequel starting next week. So hopefully you're enjoying these longer series, and thanks for hanging in there.

Don't feel bad, until you said the unicycle guys were wearing motorcycle helmets, I thought they were like, cavemen with big scruffy hair and beards. The way this game goes, it could be anything really.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair to the last 2 sonic episodes, i'd say metropolis zone is the hardest level design of the 2D sonics (gba excluded. Suck a dick dimps). The obstacles are very touchy, and the enemies all have tricky timing. Also it's crazy hard to not get hurt in the boss battle.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want to say the arcade version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (totally unlike the Genesis version) uses track balls too. If you can get it to work then i'd request that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Don't his tails cause damage if you fly under something?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From what I saw of it, the whole Mega Man/Sonic crossover was silly and fun. Wily and Robotnik became BFFs, there were robot versions of Sonic's friends leading to gags like two Shadow-Mans and stuff like that. Also, the guy who writes for both books is a goon who regularly posts all over, though I can't remember his name (He's not even the only Archie employee I've talked to on SA)

Also the fact that other sonic characters can swim but Sonic can't is reflected in the Sonic and Mario at the Summer Olympics...for the water events, he has to wear floaties :3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I thought Moonwalker needed a trackball, like that one sonic game, and mentioned if you could get one going to play that. Looks like I was wrong, so I'm totally doubling down on my request.

XYBOTS looks quite fun. Kinda reminds me of the base stages in Contra.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

looks like a kinda awesome game. And it looks like you edited out like half the jokes but still refer to them in the text (like the fighter in a wheel chair or a gorilla.) :thumbsup:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just going to point out that a fighting game where an old man in a wheelchair fighting a monkey in a top hat and tails is your idea of "less interesting"...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

"You're barking up the wrong gently caress"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

what a bizarre and grim game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The weird band one of you was talking about was Ladybeard. Apparently the dude in the band is super nice and stuff. Last Tokyo Comicon he went as Chun-Li and could do 100% of her poses.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yes this. It took until late in the 16-bit era, maybe even slightly after for game designers to get out of the mindset that made it so they didn't actually want you to win their games, which entirely comes from arcade business models. It's always interesting when I go back and look seriously at old games because there's a 50/50 chance it was "nintendo hard" when I was a kid, or else I was just not very good at video games. You'd be surprised how often it's the latter, but sometimes it very much is the former.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh jesus yeah, even if you got six people playing at once, there was no chance any of the players weren't getting at least one game over per boss. X-Men was such bullshit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Simpsons worked just like X-men and most other brawlers of that entire decade--you have a super move (usually by pushing both buttons at the same time) that would deplete your energy if you used it. I want to say Knights of the Round did that too. That one was a fun beat em up. In fact, I'll request it for the thread: Hey youse guys, add "Knights of the Round" to your request list!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That's also pretty much the Tekken standard. I swear, part 4 was the only one with a reasonable final boss.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, Aliens Vs Predator...that game might be the longest arcade beat em up to exist. I remember playing it on mame having "mom" give me as many dollars as I needed, and still having to give up. At one point it really feels like okay, this is the really big, hard battle, you're eradicating the aliens for good now and...surprise mother fucker, you're not even half way through yet!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I can't hate Bart Vs The Space Mutants. It's a good idea of a game, and pretty ambitious, the problems are that the controls are very rough, and the entire game seems designed to be as obfuscating as possible, with rules constantly changing, sometimes within the same level as to what does an doesn't hurt you, how to solve puzzles, etc etc.

Also, I think everyone's seen that Pizza Olsen Twins video by now. One day while my son was here this past summer (that's when I get him) we were at the grocery store, and I started listing the stuff in our cart for whatever reason, and he suddenly pipes up "...Put it in the pizza!!" It was so totally random and unexpected to come out of an 8 year old that I ended up laughing super hard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's funny how it wasn't til the mid 00's that decent Simpsons games existed at all. They started the trend with Road Rage, which is just a decent Crazy Taxi knock off with lots of unlockable characters and jokes, then they did Hit and Run, which is a decent open world game which combines exploration with driving missions. I'd like if it was less driving centric, but it does have tons of references to the good years of the show. And again, it wasn't til 09 that a home port of the Arcade Game came out. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ofecks posted:

My guess is, like the first two or three seasons of the show, that the non-arcade games were Bart-centric to appeal to preteen boys or whoever their target demographic was.

It's easy to forget that yeah, this was how the first few seasons of the show were marketed if you weren't there. Bart was America's badboy and he was everywhere. I had t-shirts with him on it, and this super lovely telephone in the shape of him that was difficult to hang up correctly. I'd seen people who would get his image shaved into the side or back of their head (cause that was a thing back then) etc etc. Then for a while the writers got tired of that schtick and made it all about the whole family for a few seasons. Then all of a sudden for a long window it was exclusively the Homer Show, perhaps because so many of those pre-teen boys had grown up enough to start being crappy dads themselves. I know I eventually did. I haven't really watched the show in many years, except by random chance, mostly because I don't watch a lot of broadcast tv, sticking to streaming and movies, so I don't know what the dynamic focus is presently.

• Locked thread