Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wizard of Wor was a great game, and surprisingly sophisticated at the time. It didn't seem to get much release, though -- took me ages to track one down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Lemma posted:

Links in the OP.

You should probably put the link in a new post each time, too. Plenty of people just jump to the most recent posts, and are going to eyeroll (and maybe not bother) if they then have to go back to the OP. Of course, you'll get a similar reaction if it's not in the OP as well, for people just coming in.

Metamoqester was... odd.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Huh. That sucked.

My recommendations for things to try out are Crazy Climber, Phoenix, and Berzerk. All older cabinets, but all a bit clever in their own really stupid ways :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
When you're tired of Hardhead, you're tired of life.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Well, at least it wasn't exactly a Streets of Rage side-scrolling brawler. Now quite, anyway.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

AMovieReference posted:

New episode out today, this one is "Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters".

Huh. That's pretty cool. Kinda a robot-themed fake-3D isometric Gauntlet.

And, wonder of wonders, it's not another damned side-scrolling brawler!!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
EDIT: ^^^ o_O I'm not convinced that harvesting road-tuna is considered sanitary...

AMovieReference posted:

Also new video, that is not a side scrolling beat 'em up either! It's "Gunbarich". The game is kinda like Brick Break in a way but different in that it has bosses and other interesting elements.

That's pretty cool, actually. Arkanoid by way of Gradius and pinball is an interesting mash-up.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Now that is one weird and hosed up game.

EDIT: http://acimon.cocolog-nifty.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2012/12/23/seal_056.jpg
This image makes things a lot clearer.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 1, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Exidy were American, and did a bunch of second-string arcade games. Larry Hutcherson was the guy responsible for Chiller, which sold well "in the third world".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exidy

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 7, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

AMovieReference posted:

Yeah, we looked into it and found that as well. I found some other random tidbits about the game, especially about the unofficial port to the NES.

I was kinda amused by how dry the Wikipedia article managed to be. Even at the time, that must have been a really unpleasant release -- as it says, lots of US arcades wouldn't even let it in. Seriously mad stuff.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Lizard Wizard was surprisingly un-disastrous. Hell, I'd have played that back in the 8-bit days.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Man. The plot of this game is totally Scientology 101.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Lemma posted:

Well, we complied, sorta. We played Crazy Climber 2, which seems largely the same but with 16 bit graphics.

Yeah, that looks pretty much the same, just with TEH SEXX thrown in. Some things they looked like they made easier, other things harder. There was a lot of total bullshit in that. :) Still, you did better than I ever managed!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

AMovieReference posted:

It's basically QWOP of the 80s.

Now _that_ matches my experience with the damned thing!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

AMovieReference posted:

Hey folks, we got a new video that came out today, and it's part 2 of Sonic 2. This one starts one of my favorite running gags we start doing this "season". We have quite a few sonic episodes, so I hope you guys can hang with that, and we've got other videos in between breaking it up. So hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWLC6WVUjI

Now you're just trolling the Sonic fans!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm glad you had fun with it! Berzerk was surprisingly good for the era, and the voice clips were pretty revolutionary. I seem to remember that Evil Otto was named after the security guy at the designer's previous office, who was a monstrous dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
loving hell, that's a lot of dinosaurs.

• Locked thread