Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Seeing Wizard of Wor really makes me wish there was more games where you'd fight wizards with firearms. Taking guns to fantasy monsters is such a video game idea, I love it. Speaking of, there was a lightgun game called Dragon Gun, but as you might expect there's no ports of it anywhere.

Anyways, I'm curious if this is the first example of a coop videogame ever. Compared to other games in the 1980s this game was pretty nuts. Especially right at the end of the video, the game demonstrates how some of the enemies work off a simple visibility mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I had Kiwi Kraze on the nes myself. It was incredibly hard, but really charming. Really wish it had all those arrows in the back like this version. Pretty neat to see the levels are pretty different though.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Oh man, that's the frozen whale boss. I was stuck on that guy forever as a kid. However, the stages got even harder after so I never made it much farther.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
It's not that uncommon to happen in a lot of old arcade games too. Makes it really frustrating when you're just coasting through the game on just quarter feeding then you just get smacked by a game over.

The mafia type setting is really cool in Dead Connection. Not many games really do it. Besides that though, I love how the environments just start exploding in different ways. Only shooting gallery type games like Blood Bros. or Cabal really did that.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
It's pretty obvious to see the Indiana Jones inspiration for this game. Data East and other companies really loved to ape popular movies at the time. However, mostly the war hero type characters that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jean Claude Van Damme. Just check out the intro to Contra. But for my money, my favorite references were from another game from Data East called Sly Spy.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I've read a lot of HG101, Growl was a featured article at one point. There really is a special brand of insanity to this that other games can't quite replicate that makes it a joy to play, despite how simple it is. Especially with how ridiculous how the game gets later on. It's a pain in the rear end to actually beat, but getting to the final boss is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

Aces High posted:

so wait, is it the emulator that is loving up a lot of the floor textures or did the game always look like that :stare: I mean, I know it's an old game but I didn't think it looked that bad.

Yeah, some texture stretching or tearing or whatever is going on. You can see it pop back and forth occasionally. However, you can tell the textures were never that great. There's some other effects not rendering properly too, like the smoke at the beginning and I think the reflections as well.

And say what you will about the "story", the main character has some pretty stone cold action movie lines later on that are delivered in that same goofy deadpan manner. It's pretty great.

I played too much typing of the dead, so I know this game pretty well. There's also some pretty good pc ports of HotD 1-3. Sadly, 4 was only on arcade for the longest time, but it's on ps3 now. It was notable at the time because they shoved wii type controls into the lightguns themselves to aim and throw grenades or dodge boss attacks. It worked as well as you'd expect a wii knockoff would or they just tended to break. The only two machines I got a chance to play were pretty much nonfunctional in regards to the motion controls.

PBnJamo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread