Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

Maybe it's the World Warrior effect. Despite the fact that Street Fighter III was a superior game and the character designs were far superior, because it wasn't successful, most people still want the original twelve SFII characters and Cammy and Akuma. That's why they were all in SFIV and why 7 of the 9 announced SFV characters are in that group of 14 and why I'm not hyped for the game at all.

Anyway, back on topic, if they've got it emulated properly now, you could try Lucky and Wild. The last time I tried it was a several years back. The game ran, but the second player's controls were dodgy so you couldn't shoot.

We can definitely put Lucky and Wild on the list (I'm one of the guys who is part of the Let's Play, finally made an SA account). Hopefully Lemme is able to come down here often enough to be able to record stuff a little more often than we normally do.

By the way, when we do "Season 2" would it be unwelcome if we started another thread? I might be taking over if that is the case, since I can't edit Lemma's front page post, and potentially anything new we put would be a hassle to find if you had to go digging for the posts. If not, I'm sure we can work something out.

Also about Street Fighter, I think SF3 is probably too technical for the average schmo, almost everyone in the cast was a new character (except Ken and Ryu, and Akuma and Chun-Li in Third Strike), most of the cast used charged moves, and the introduction of the parry system seemed to turn people off, which is why I think SFII always did better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
New episode out today, this one is "Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters". Probably one of the longest damned names I've ever seen for an arcade title. It's pretty. . . interesting as well. This one is also another "proof of concept" title, but worry not, it's still pretty decent, and the last of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nuRqtT0eX4

Only two more episodes until "Season 2" start, which means we'll start putting out videos that include the requests that some of you put up on here. Thanks for watching folks!

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Glad you enjoyed the concept Ghostwoods, the game was interesting but I think Nick was killing the vibe with how much trouble he was having playing the game. I would have liked to go further into it.

Also new video, that is not a side scrolling beat 'em up either! It's "Gunbarich". The game is kinda like Brick Break in a way but different in that it has bosses and other interesting elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePhvNZkckyE

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Man, my dream is to one day have a racing game cabinet in my house. I can't decide if it would be something like Hydro Thunder, or San Francisco Rush: 2049.

The coolest (and most difficult) one I've seen was this really awesome looking F-Zero game, where you sat in an actual pod and everything. I remember the controller being slightly broken, so I didn't get the full experience, but I think the whole cart moved the way the vehicle did in the game too.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Oh God, I can't even imagine having that thing taking up so much room in my place. I'm sure my roommate would be pretty impressed with something like that. It make me think of this Gundam game I played over in Japan where you get into this full pod that closes and it plays kinda like Virtual On.

If we ever got big enough, I think it'd be cool to go visit arcades across the world and kinda showcase them on the show or something. Most places I've been to in recent history are turning into Barcades, and mostly feature "beat 'em ups" or fighting games, which makes sense when you're drinking, but I wanna find the truly bizarre games, like in the past.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Ghostwoods posted:

Now that is one weird and hosed up game.

EDIT: http://acimon.cocolog-nifty.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2012/12/23/seal_056.jpg
This image makes things a lot clearer.

I'm glad you posted that picture, everything makes more sense now!

Choco1980 posted:

Looking it up, I Don't Know was right, it was Para Para Paradise.

Also, this Mikie game is amazing.

Yeah, we all love Mikie. I want everyone in the world to know about Mikie. If you have any sort of social media outlet, scream into it about the wonders of Mikie. If we could somehow overshadow the release of Metal Gear Solid V by brining up this gem to the masses, I. . . I think I'd weep tears of joy.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

Wow, interesting find. That version says it's set in an office, you play as "Tooru-kun", and that the hearts are messages from your girlfriend. I guess Mikie was an art swap for western markets a la Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine. I kind of like better the premise of starcrossed lovers deciding to trash their office and run away together, to what fate we can never know. Perhaps they run an onsen together in Aomori. Surely less bleak than young Mikie's prospects, his rear end is bound for juvie.

I kind of think that it's about time Mikie gets a sequel. The second game could start similar to the opening to "The Blues Brothers", where it's been 30 years, and Mikie is finally released from prison. He of course has no high school degree, so he has to go back to school in his 50s, but he can't hack what life has become, everything is far too different. He decides to go on one last violent spree of trashing his school and trying to relive that one fateful day before he spends the rest of his life in prison or suicide by cops. His Magnum Opus.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Hey all, so as you may have noticed (who am I kidding, you probably don't think about us unless we post something here) we didn't have anything out on Thursday. That's because we're doing a new schedule for this "season" of Mon/Wed/Fri. So instead of 2 videos a week, get up to 3. Hopefully we can maintain this standard for a while, as we've got lots of content coming up.

W also made a new intro that's specific to each video that is playing, hopefully you guys will enjoy it, and not get too sick of it. First up is Chiller. It's. . . it's really a game that existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1tvlZ6zzIc

You can also check out the playlist if you're new to us, which I can't link to because SA keeps trying to shorten everything I put in here.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Ghostwoods posted:

Exidy were American, and did a bunch of second-string arcade games. Larry Hutcherson was the guy responsible for Chiller, which sold well "in the third world".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exidy

Yeah, we looked into it and found that as well. I found some other random tidbits about the game, especially about the unofficial port to the NES.

By the way, forgot to mention, we're starting up with the requested videos on Wednesday. We tried to get at least one from everyone because we have a complicated filming schedule, since we're geographically displaced by several hundred miles across the country.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

Also, just going to say it, I liked the music to the first intro better, but that's just me.

It's funny because the opening seems to have a polarizing reception, either people hated the first one and love this one, or loved the first one and hate this. I had considered re-recording the first song and just using it again, but I figured since the opening was so different than before I wanted to make a new song for it. Hopefully it's not too off putting to ruin the show for you.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Interesting that the game lets you continue, but only with quarters you put in when it asks you to, not with credits you added earlier.

It was a bit frustrating that it worked like that, and I wanna say I think this happens a few more times throughout this "season".

Lizard Wizard finishes out on Friday. Only appropriate that it's September 11th, and we're burning things and saving people falling out of the sky in this game. I guess we couldn't have planned it any. . . I'm not sure what word to use here.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Ghostwoods posted:

Man. The plot of this game is totally Scientology 101.

Holy poo poo. I'm willing to bet if we had gotten further into the game, we probably would have fought some DC-8s, then eventually a "Xenu" like final boss.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, doing something a little more familiar to you folks, just not in the way you're used to. It's time for Sonic 2. This time, everything is better than the original Sonic we did a few months back. I'm hoping you guys enjoy it as much as we did making this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZZSq6WfpkU

Also, we're probably going to to do Mon/Wed/Thurs instead, since Friday seems to be a really poor receiving day for let's play videos. I would have figured it'd be the best day. . .

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Ghostwoods posted:

Yeah, that looks pretty much the same, just with TEH SEXX thrown in. Some things they looked like they made easier, other things harder. There was a lot of total bullshit in that. :) Still, you did better than I ever managed!

I was pretty adamant about playing this loving game. I played it three different times before we had anything that was acceptable. It's basically QWOP of the 80s.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Hey folks, we got a new video that came out today, and it's part 2 of Sonic 2. This one starts one of my favorite running gags we start doing this "season". We have quite a few sonic episodes, so I hope you guys can hang with that, and we've got other videos in between breaking it up. So hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWLC6WVUjI

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

This explains so many things. One of which, is my incompetence. Thank you FredMSloniker, and that is not going to be the last time you hear me say that this. . . we'll say year.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone who didn't immediately identify "that game where you slay horses" as Mount and Blade has been playing it wrong :colbert:

It's strange how many games come to mind that horse/mount murdering is an actual mechanic that people make great efforts to achieve.

Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim (yours at least), Far Cry 4 (elephants), Oregon Trail I think you can kill your horses for meat. The list goes on I imagine.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Aces High posted:

I missed out on it when it was current but the Chemical Zone 2 portion of Sonic 2 part 2 (holy poo poo that's a lot of 2s) had me rolling, and then the loving Tails shenanigans in Aquatic Zone :allears:

It's like I am 7 years old again

I'm glad you guys are enjoying Sonic 2, that game has given us so many things. It just keeps on giving. More sonic comes up today as a matter of fact.

Nebiros posted:

B.Rap Boys, featuring three player action and poo poo like riding bicycles during the auto scrolling area for some characters. Here you go

Interestingly, I've already added B.Rap Boys to the list and had no idea it was related at all to DJ Boy. I thought it was like "The Asylum" version of video games or something, where they just make a game based off another's success, like "Transmorpher". I have no idea why it would be DJ Boy, but stranger things have likely happened.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
So in case anyone isn't convinced to keep up with the multi-episodic adventures of Sonic 2. I must convince you to do so because you're missing amazing T-shirt ideas such as this:

And that's not even the best one to come from the Sonic 2 playthrough.

I also don't know how to make this not loving gigantic. . . Free desktop wallpaper I guess.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Aces High posted:

if the "Let's develop a drinking problem" Metal Gear LP is anything to go by getting hosed while playing games only goes so far for the player, you gotta have a great supporting cast for commentary. If you don't have that you run into the problem of it just turning into drunken incompetence and no one to really rein it in

Well I suppose I should be honest, I don't watch too many Let's Play style videos, and the ones I do watch, I can't really fathom that they leave the house at all, let alone do anything cool like drink, steal, or solicit hookers or anything like that. I guess that's my bad though, but everyone was very quick to correct me, which is good I guess.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, it's Wednesday, and it's time for part 2 of DJ Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JvLqiaYHs

Sonic 2 continues tomorrow, and I swear to god, we'll something that isn't a sequel starting next week. So hopefully you're enjoying these longer series, and thanks for hanging in there.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

He could also swim, albeit so slowly that it was never very useful. I always liked Sonic's insta-shield ability in that game, though. It was good when they could come up with abilities that meshed with the basic mechanics instead of throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck. That said Knuckles' swimming skill was one of the only highlights of Sonic Advanve games.

As an aside, here's the end of Sonic 2:
https://youtu.be/JSatHK2nJSo

By the way, I wasn't kidding about that Archie thing. Here's a panel from one of the books.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

I dont know posted:

As a request I would an odd product of it's times, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

That game man. . . I think we had that on the list at some point, but if it's been requested, we could totally do it then. It's got a lot to say for those who are unfamiliar with it.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Yay you used my request! :neckbeard: I'm confused, though. Your comment about Battle Balls suggested you've already played it, but if you did I missed the video...

Well, without going too in depth on what goes behind the curtains, but we shot Battle Balls first, but it hasn't been put up yet. Worry yourself not, it is coming.

Oh it is coming.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Happy "It's not even god dammed halloween, stop playing christmas music already" month. We're a little early,, but we have a few more "scary" games coming up for the month, but first up is CarnEvil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9E--fL0xk

I wouldn't mind revisiting this game and trying some of the other levels, since it wouldn't just be us playing through the same stuff over and over again.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

I dont know posted:

Arcade opperators can set the price of games using the dip switch settings. This game just seemed to ship set at 50¢ a credit, probably because at that point arcades were barely still a thing and a quarter wasn't much.

Most games have a dipswitch setting allowing you to alter how much you have to pay (from a quarter to a dollar or free play), but this one had 50 cents as the smallest option. Annoying if you ask me.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Ben Kasack posted:

The only thing I'm going to say in DEFENSE for this game is that miniboss did have a way to stop, or at least limit the damage you take, problem is, i didn't really look like shooting the gun did any damage to him, cause if not(and even if it did)it seems like this game was meant to be played by two people at a time.

The game is two player, but we only have one light gun, so it's definitely much tougher than normal. That's just the way it goes though, until we can grab another light gun. . .

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

I like how the demo shows off the cool trick you can do with your character's neck. Specifically, the characters' hitboxes are based on their pixels, and since the protagonist has a gap between his head and body, it's possible for a horizontal shot to pass safely through it. Mind you, it's not terribly practical, as just a little more movement will get the bullet sailing over his head instead of aimed at a narrow target, but it's fun nonetheless.

I noticed that as well when we were editing this. Even if I had figured that out, I don't think I'd bother in the game, it's ludicrously hard enough as it is, without trying to do anything fancy.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

Anyway, who likes Super Smash Bros.? That's right, nobody! (I kid.) Today, we have the primordial Smash Bros. template, THE OUTFOXIES:

https://youtu.be/g25fOcltdUY

(It sucks.)

Disregard his opinion, he is butt-hurt at his inability to be awesome at the game.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

looks like a kinda awesome game. And it looks like you edited out like half the jokes but still refer to them in the text (like the fighter in a wheel chair or a gorilla.) :thumbsup:

Yeah, the original was about like 18 minutes long with a few dead spots, so we trimmed it to the more interesting parts.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe you should add some sort of indication when there's been a cut for time? A fade, a Spongebob-esque TEN MINUTES LATER card, or something?

Well. . . this is the only episode that I think you can tell there was some metaling, as you guys didn't seem to notice in previous episodes. Usually it's only like an odd minute or 30 seconds or so.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

That'll learn me to comment before watching the video. I thought this was going to be The Lost World one.

Which incidentally you guys can now play via Supermodel.

I messed around with the supermodel stuff a while back and got irritated because there are games that I wanted to do for the show that are only on there that just don't work. One of them being Virtual On, and the Star Wars Trilogy was another. Then someone (was it you?) requested Ocean Hunter, for which I couldn't get the controls to work at all. Most of the graphics are missing for several of the games, so I'm hoping that Bart has a huge update sometime in the near future. . . I'm not hopeful though. :/

Also speaking of the same requester, Let's Go! Jungle is also not dumped anywhere on the internet, and the only time I've ever seen it was when I was living in Korea, so. . . I'm trying to convince myself that if this show keeps going and we're still doing this in like a year, we might all just fly out to Asia so we can play the freaking thing, as well as other crazy cool new games.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Part 2 of Jurassic Park Arcade is up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uEqhWW2-0

We got a strange one coming up on Wednesday, so be on the lookout for that for sure.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

"You're barking up the wrong gently caress"

Funny thing, I don't usually watch our videos, but when someone quotes stuff like that, I have to rewatch them. Because I cannot remember what the hell that quote is about, and I just laughed way too hard at it.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
We have a new video today. It's probably one of the newer games we've played on the show, seeing as it came out in 2007, which is strange, considering the game looks like it came out in 1997. It's a unique type of Japanese bullet-hell game, in the fact that you can shoot in front of you and behind you. Anyhow, seeing as halloween is in about a week, this game seemed quite applicable.

Deathsmiles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4O8sC-i-k0

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

hyphz posted:

I believe it's actually on iPhone too. In the EU at least it got a physical release on 360.

(Edit: and the commercial release has a load more playable characters.)

My favorite thing about this show is when you guys know way more stuff about these games than we do.

New Zealand Story for example.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
A perfect example of how arcade games were not meant to be won on a single credit can be seen within episode 2 of Jurassic Park arcade where the bolder is coming, and although I was shooting at it without missing, I still lost health. Every so often you'll hear one of us complain about the difficulty of a game, and then another (usually Kyle) reminding the crew that the game wasn't necessarily meant to be beat on less than a dollar.

It's kind of why the show is called "Mom Can I Have Another Dollar" where when I was a youth. I recall going to a pizza restaurant where they had the arcade games and we'd try to get as far as we could, but eventually we'd get a game over with no more quarters, and then we had to run to our mothers begging for them to cough up a dollar to continue our game before the time limit ran out. Even though we are discussing how difficult they were in a bad light, I'm so very nostalgic for those days.

Later this season, there are a few games that we play where the final boss is just utter bullshit and takes so many coins just to beat. A game I remember in particular (that we didn't do this season) is X-Men, where fighting just the loving Blob was a gauntlet in itself (as far as coins were concerned).

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

Man, Aliens Vs Predator...that game might be the longest arcade beat em up to exist. I remember playing it on mame having "mom" give me as many dollars as I needed, and still having to give up. At one point it really feels like okay, this is the really big, hard battle, you're eradicating the aliens for good now and...surprise mother fucker, you're not even half way through yet!

We actually do AVP sometime this season, and I had never gotten past the second boss or so when I was a kid (at least I don't really remember) so it was neat getting to play farther than that, but yeah, it seemed like the game was over, and just keeps going. I'm surprised how much story is in that game, considering it's a capcom arcade game.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

RabidWeasel posted:

Second this, Knights of the Round is one of my all time favourite arcade games.

Also because people should see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzWIHRJ2j4I

The sequel is good too?

Dammit, I totally forgot to put a link in the video. I added it in there now though, so hopefully people will see it in the future when they watch our video.

The Dilbert 2 video makes me think of those old crappy Philips CDI games where the animation would just pop in front of all the action in the background and just horrify anyone brave enough to watch it. Total Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright folks, it's that time of the week where we put up another video. It's part 2 of Deathsmiles, where we attempt to continue to alienate our audience by having seemingly unplaced hatred towards well loved actors from our Childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz0ZOXm7V0E

One thing I'm going to try and remember is putting links into the videos for things that we reference. Youtube is a little wonky with links to things that aren't other youtube videos.

• Locked thread