Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Help Im Alive posted:

Did they say anything about syncing music to your phone?

There was a button for offline saving but I don't know the specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What exactly does the new music thinger mean for iTunes Match? I do still occasionally buy music from places that aren't Apple, and having that stuff stored in my iTunes music cloud is nice.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I wouldn't expect Match to go away - because that way Apple can get :20bux: from you each month.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is this all getting integrated into the music app or is this another app I need to hide?

Also lol @ Beats Connect. It'll die just like Ping. Ping 2.0.

Edit: please don't clutter up my music.app Apple. I just want to listen to my music. :(

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

There was a button for offline saving but I don't know the specifics.

You'd think they'd mention something like that, but nope here's <INSERT BANG PLUG HERE>

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh wow. They are selling Apple Music as a "membership" not a subscription.

http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sue posted:

I wouldn't expect Match to go away - because that way Apple can get :20bux: from you each month.

I'll have to wait for more info to come out, but it sounds like Music incorporates Match. Im guessing you can still do Match separately though.

EDIT: I have no clue. I'm sure they will give us more info.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 8, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Family sharing confirmed to use the already established iCloud sharing which means a single linked credit card. Probably not going to work well for goon sharing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't really understand how this is not the same as iTunes Match.

quote:

How does Apple Music know what songs are in my personal library?
With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

Does Apple Music work with iTunes Match?
Yes. Apple Music and iTunes Match are independent but complementary.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'll have to wait for more info to come out, but it sounds like Music incorporates Match. Im guessing you can still do Match separately though.

EDIT: I have no clue. I'm sure they will give us more info.
Sounds like it.

How does Apple Music know what songs are in my personal library?
With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

efblb;b

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

smackfu posted:

I don't really understand how this is not the same as iTunes Match.

Sounds to me like Match is included in the 9.99/month, or you can do just Match still for $25/year

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the iOS news stuff is really similar to the Facebook Instant Articles. Check the publisher stuff, they can use iAds with a 30/70 split or sell their own ads and keep 100%.

I read a lot on my phone, usually in an RSS reader app (Unread). I'm pretty sure that if something worth reading pops up, it'll be nicer to use this app than read it in Safari, but I don't know if it's going to fit in with how I use my phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't follow this thread at all, any info on when 10.10.4 and iOS 8.4 drop (aside from on or before 6/30)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

Oh wow. They are selling Apple Music as a "membership" not a subscription.

http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

Oh hey, its all the information they should have mentioned during their presentation.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

I didn't follow this thread at all, any info on when 10.10.4 and iOS 8.4 drop (aside from on or before 6/30)
Very likely on 6.30.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Does Apple Music work on Android phone?
Yes, we are excited to offer Apple Music for the Android platform. It is coming this fall.

Wait, Apple Music for Android, woah, I figured Apple would have kept this iOS only.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Wait, Apple Music for Android, woah, I figured Apple would have kept this iOS only.

Do you think Apple doesn't like money or something?

derekf
Nov 20, 2005
5 years late
So is Flipboard pretty screwed. They basically presented Apple branded Flipboard.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

derekf posted:

So is Flipboard pretty screwed. They basically presented Apple branded Flipboard.
If you already use Flipboard I doubt you'll bother to switch, and no new users were trying out flipboard in the first place so it doesn't really matter.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Did they mention Android migration in the keynote? Because it's on the iOS 9 product page.

quote:

Just download the Move to iOS app to wirelessly switch from your Android device to your new iOS device. It securely transfers your contacts, message history, camera photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail accounts, calendars, wallpaper, and DRM-free songs and books. And it will help you rebuild your app library, too. Any free apps you used — like Facebook and Twitter — are suggested for download from the App Store. And your paid apps are added to your iTunes Wish List.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

derekf posted:

Yeah it's pretty much hosed. It used to be that Apple took things from jailbroken users and incorporated it into the stock OS, now they're gonna start doing that with actual businesses I guess.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

derekf posted:

So is Flipboard pretty screwed.

Yeah.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So this fancy picture in picture thing the iPad does. I assume the iPhone wont get that at all?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's hard to believe there are that many people who want a Flipboard-like app that aren't using Flipboard already. And Facebook is already basically the "news app" for most people.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So is Apple Music like Spotify where you can play whatever you want, or is it more like Pandora?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So is Apple Music like Spotify where you can play whatever you want, or is it more like Pandora?

It sounded like Pandora for a while before that Apple guy cleared it up. It's like Spotify basically.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Like Connect content or radio songs". The killer feature that requires a *~membership~*.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

"Like Connect content or radio songs". The killer feature that requires a *~membership~*.

Read this list and see if you can guess if I'm talking about SAF or Connect(Apple Ping).

• :10bux: paywall to keep out the riffraff
  • rabid almost religious fanbase that hates anything contrary to what it already believes
  • owner that will abandon it after a while
  • there is a front page?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I was hoping there'd be a simple Apple Music app for the iPod Nano but that's a pipe dream...

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Was the world crying out for yet another way to listen to music on a phone?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

African AIDS cum posted:

No it wasn't. Competition dictates that Apple wants to pull people away from Google's ecosystem in any way they can though and I think this is a huge competitor to Play All Access, which people are forgetting about in lieu of the link to Spotify.

Apple used to be a company that effectively and lucratively anticipated the needs and wants of the everyday electronics consumer, but nowadays it seems to be almost entirely an industry follower, while still maintaining its juggernaut status. This WWDC was a disappointment.

And the Apple watch is and will be a whacko failure barring some unforeseen jump in the wearable status quo.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's a free version that's like Pandora ( look here: http://www.apple.com/music/membership/ ) and a paid version that's basically Spotify.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

smackfu posted:

It's hard to believe there are that many people who want a Flipboard-like app that aren't using Flipboard already. And Facebook is already basically the "news app" for most people.

Given their drumbeat of "privacy privacy privacy" and "you control your data" today along with Facebook barely being mentioned while other social networks were featured prominently, it looks like Apple is trying to wean its customers off of Facebook.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The thing that really confuses me about Apple Music is how hard they were pushing the radio station

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

No, but Spotify keeps getting worse and worse and I've been looking for any reason to jump ship. If Apple can pull off something polished and I have access to their entire library they may have something here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

I was hoping there'd be a simple Apple Music app for the iPod Nano but that's a pipe dream...

Lol, that poo poo doesn't even run iOS.

The Nano isn't going to ever get updated again until Apple quietly updates it out of their lineup.

And as much as I love my Spotify sub, and as unfortunately irrelevant as Apple Music's cheaper family plan is to me (I bought my parents Spotify family accounts but there's no way to do that with Apple without that sharing iCloud poo poo), the writing's kind of on the wall here.

For all of its growth, Spotify is still hemorrhaging money, it's not even approaching profitability, and it has a fraction of the music industry pull that Apple does.

Even if Apple weren't basically the single most powerful entity in the music business, they can still easily afford to outspend Spotify on the bottom end.

I give it two years before they're squeezed to death.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How about that:

quote:

Six-digit passcodes
The passcodes you use on your Touch ID–enabled iPhone and iPad will now have six digits instead of four.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

African AIDS cum posted:

What? Why would Apple sit idly by when it already has deals in place with all these music labels? Are you complaining about Apple Music or something? I don't even understand.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smackfu posted:

How about that:

Where are you getting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Land Fish posted:

Given their drumbeat of "privacy privacy privacy" and "you control your data" today along with Facebook barely being mentioned while other social networks were featured prominently, it looks like Apple is trying to wean its customers off of Facebook.

Is anyone else surprised that Facebook doesn't have a music service yet?

• Locked thread