Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Malloreon posted:

MLB players make an average of $4M/year. They can buy their own apple stuff.

Yeah I'm hoping we're the ones being trolled here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

That's not really my point, I just think it is weird how Apple is touting that X now supports Apple Pay when it is just off the shelf hardware. Like my nail salon supports Apple Pay, they don't give a poo poo, their credit card machine just came with a reader built in. Walgreen now supports Apple Pay! With the same terminals that they have had for years and years for the credit cards with NFC chips that never became very popular.

The differentiator with apple pay is the tokenization and bank back-end stuff for it, which is why you see so much talk about bank support. IIRC the last incarnation of google wallet tried to do an end run around the banks and/or put all your purchases through your google account and failed at that.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What could possibly be wrong with a corporate curated selection of music? I mean come on it's not like they already have a reputation for arbitrary blocking certain apps and other content from their system...

Likely not any worse than any terrestrial top 40 radio service it seems to be modeled after.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Exactly my point?

You make it sound like it'll be something shockingly worse than any other radio station anyone can name.

computer parts posted:

So nerds will hate it and everyone else won't really care.

Pretty much it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Radio stations, including the place E-Brow already works at are pretty terrible. There's a reason radio has been on the decline for years.

Oh don't get me wrong, I hate terrestrial radio and even satellite for aping the traditional radio format, and this seems to be right down that alley. It sounded like Apple's version of sirius's hits 1 and I imagine whatever BBC equivalent but I don't think it will be any worse about playing radio edits of any given song or not playing songs. If it ever came up they'll just play "Forget You" like every other radio station did back in the day.

Three Olives posted:

edit 2: I feel like I am being pedantic, if ApplePay gets retailers to replace their lovely terminals with ones that support Chip & PIN and NFC, I'm all for it as a person that has gone half a dozen credit cards in the past two years because of data breaches, it just seems weird for Apple to brag about how many (few) retailers have non-complete poo poo insecure terminals that also happen to support the standard that Apple is using for NFC payments.

Yeah I agree, from the consumer end NFC payments will basically work and feel the same no matter if the antenna is in the card or in an iPhone or Android, as long as the retailer has the hardware. This is a case of a rising tide lifts all boats too, so just watch out for the silly CurrentC people.

• Locked thread