Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Honestly I do have to give Apple a ton of credit for acting like Apple Pay NFC is a special Apple thing and not using readers that have been deployed for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

30 years later and people are still trying to make the witty observation of "Apple is just using existing technology to make a compelling product and pretending that they invented it! :mad: "

That's not really my point, I just think it is weird how Apple is touting that X now supports Apple Pay when it is just off the shelf hardware. Like my nail salon supports Apple Pay, they don't give a poo poo, their credit card machine just came with a reader built in. Walgreen now supports Apple Pay! With the same terminals that they have had for years and years for the credit cards with NFC chips that never became very popular.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TinTower posted:

Shouldn't Apple Pay work with any contactless reader? Contactless is a big thing in the UK, after all.

Yeah but the issue is banks have to be willing to give Apple the NFC tokens. Apple did a good job with that in the US but ask Softcard/Google about how easy that can be.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anyone remember 'The Daily?' That "newspaper" that Apple launched for the original iPad with Rupert loving Murdoch of all people?

Rupert isn't some loony ultra conservative, he is just a crass business man. Fox News isn't so much a Murdock thing as it is a Roger Alies thing who is in fact a loony ultra conservative that Rupert is even scared of. Basically Fox News runs mostly completely autonomously from News Corp and is generally considered an incredibly profitable nightmare for News Corp.

Fun Fact: Roger Alies has bullet proof glass installed in his office because he is afraid that gays would try kill him. Seriously, he is literally afraid of being physically attacked by gay people.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

If we all voluntarily went back to not having these devices would anyone's quality of life decrease? I don't think so.

Probably the opposite, apparently having your work email on your phone means hey can you do some work stuff at 1 PM on a Sunday when you are at a bar with friends?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Does anyone on earth actually use Facetime Audio?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Apple Music sounds rather hostile.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What is Drake doing?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

On the bright side Drake seems less angry about Apple Music than Iovine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Does Apple Music work on Android phone?
Yes, we are excited to offer Apple Music for the Android platform. It is coming this fall.

Wait, Apple Music for Android, woah, I figured Apple would have kept this iOS only.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Land Fish posted:

Given their drumbeat of "privacy privacy privacy" and "you control your data" today along with Facebook barely being mentioned while other social networks were featured prominently, it looks like Apple is trying to wean its customers off of Facebook.

Is anyone else surprised that Facebook doesn't have a music service yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MrBond posted:

The differentiator with apple pay is the tokenization and bank back-end stuff for it, which is why you see so much talk about bank support. IIRC the last incarnation of google wallet tried to do an end run around the banks and/or put all your purchases through your google account and failed at that.

No, I appreciate all the work Apple did on the back end to get banks on board but I'm just saying from a consumer stand point stores aren't really doing anything to "support" Apple Pay, they are just off the shelf NFC enabled terminals that have been around for years even if nobody used them.

Actually I think it is kind of funny, half of the NFC terminals that I see have been around for like 10 years back when NFC enabled credit cards were going to be the next hot deal and never caught on. Like I said, my grocery store and nail salon both take Apple Pay but they don't give a flying gently caress about it, their terminals just happen to be NFC enabled. It's like with CVS and the whole CurrentC deal, they have had NFC terminals in most of their stores for years and year and years and had to go out of their way to disable NFC when NFC became Apple Pay and not just this thing that nobody uses.

edit: Trying not to be :hurr: Apple didn't invent NFC, I just think it's funny, it's like Chase bragging that you can use their credit card at pretty much any merchant, it has nothing to do with Chase, it's that all the credit cards are on on the Visa or Mastercard system, the retailers don't have to or give a poo poo that you card is Chase or not, they just care that it goes through the VisaNet system. Woohoo, you credit card terminal conforms to a decade old international standard, now get Chip and PIN dummies.

edit 2: I feel like I am being pedantic, if ApplePay gets retailers to replace their lovely terminals with ones that support Chip & PIN and NFC, I'm all for it as a person that has gone half a dozen credit cards in the past two years because of data breaches, it just seems weird for Apple to brag about how many (few) retailers have non-complete poo poo insecure terminals that also happen to support the standard that Apple is using for NFC payments.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 9, 2015

• Locked thread