Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The easiest way to deal with it to to avoid dead naders, but that's too simple and the finish XP is too attractive for people to bother doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Some dumb idiot posted:

Played a bit of this, just hit level 5, but jesus christ is it painful when your team seems to of never played a FPS before in their lives.

Had a guy sat on the turret right next to the objective facing away from it, the enemy planted the C4 on the objective literally right behind him, he continued to look at nothing in particular (Since the enemy team had very loudly and obviously taken the other route to the objective) as the game told him the enemy had planted C4 and then remain doing so until someone eventually walked over and knifed him. :psyduck:

I played plenty of FPS games but still have no idea what the gently caress is going on. The map design, visual design and objectives are a loving mess. The whole game is cluttered and confused. The announcer spamming stuff about the 'objective' in Dick Van Dyke tier accent doesn't mean much when you have no idea wtf is going on anyway.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Fans posted:

The Tutorial really should have had some parkour in it too, I swear I'm the only person who can do the Long Jump on the Underground Station map to save the last objective quickly.

That and a "You run faster with a knife" moment, because every time I see people running to the front with their main weapons out I die a little inside.

Really? That's pretty disappointing. Not only is it shamelessly copying CSGO for no reason but it defeats the whole point of a fast-paced game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

pisshead posted:

I played plenty of FPS games but still have no idea what the gently caress is going on. The map design, visual design and objectives are a loving mess. The whole game is cluttered and confused. The announcer spamming stuff about the 'objective' in Dick Van Dyke tier accent doesn't mean much when you have no idea wtf is going on anyway.

Stand on the circle and hold F, that is the objective 90% of the time for assault, and defense is even easier, keep people away from the circles.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

pisshead posted:

Really? That's pretty disappointing. Not only is it shamelessly copying CSGO for no reason but it defeats the whole point of a fast-paced game.

It's a way to give you a speedboost without letting you hipfire people down while doing. There's a few trick jumps that can't be done without getting the knife out.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

pisshead posted:

The game literally takes 20 seconds at the start of every match to fly over every objective and tell you what you're supposed to do. Invariably, it boils down to 'push for map control until you have a clear path to the objective, then defend it'/'stop them from pushing for map control until you lose the objective location, then attack it'. The game has its flaws but being hard to figure out is not one of them.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 12, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Don't gently caress with me when I need to complete my missions with less than ten minutes on the reset timer.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

The game literally takes 20 seconds at the start of every match to fly over every objective and tell you what you're supposed to do. Invariably, it boils down to 'push for map control until you have a clear path to the objective, then defend it'/'stop them from pushing for map control until you lose the objective location, then attack it'. The game has its flaws but being hard to figure out is not one of them.

Yes but the maps are large and not intuitively laid out so that flyover doesn't count for much when you're running around the streets being shot at, there are icons everywhere and the 3rd extra from the right in the latest Guy Richie film are spamming you to 'fackin achieve the objective innit guvna'.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Once you have played the maps a few times you know where to go.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

pisshead posted:

Yes but the maps are large and not intuitively laid out so that flyover doesn't count for much when you're running around the streets being shot at, there are icons everywhere and the 3rd extra from the right in the latest Guy Richie film are spamming you to 'fackin achieve the objective innit guvna'.

The maps are all corridors with a poo poo ton of short cuts. There is one spawn on bridge that can lead you in a circle but that's about the worst of it. Just play aura and run around with your melee out for a round or two on each map. You will be less confused and start to see all the sneaky places they put in.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

xyigx posted:

The maps are all corridors with a poo poo ton of short cuts. There is one spawn on bridge that can lead you in a circle but that's about the worst of it. Just play aura and run around with your melee out for a round or two on each map. You will be less confused and start to see all the sneaky places they put in.

Most maps only have two routes, breaking the classic rule of threes. There are no shortcuts, only very longcuts, and most lead to the same bottleneck. It's way too easy to camp and the sightlines are ridiculous. Ancient games like counterstrike survive because of good map design, this game doesn't have it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Except there very often is at least a 3rd way that can be opened by doing a secondary objective.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Sandweed posted:

Except there very often is at least a 3rd way that can be opened by doing a secondary objective.

What is the objective that opens the third way on the train level?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

pisshead posted:

What is the objective that opens the third way on the train level?

It doesn't need one.

You can go through the buildings to the left and through the broken wall or up the stairs to the left and come out near the objective. You can go all the way under the bridge and come up behind them. Or you can go up the stairs to the right, or do a double jump in the building to the right to get on the broken stairs and come out near their ammo room.

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 12, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Are there any videos that show off the trick jumps you can do? I wasn't even aware that walljumping was a thing in this game until I saw someone do it in-game. The tutorial really ought to explain that.

As for the knife-running thing I don't really mind it. It's basically you committing more to sprinting instead of fighting, saying "I don't need to shoot right now, I need to move quickly" which is a tactical decision that I think makes a lot of sense to have. Anyone saying the game is "shamelessly copying" CS:GO doesn't really understand the differences between this game and that. It's like saying Planetside shamelessly copies Battlefield.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This video should get you started. There's a ton of trick jumps and they take some practice to get going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJUmnLDpDw

The long jump especially is something you want to practice. It's easy once you got it down, you have a small amount of sprint after leaving go of the button to pull it off.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

As for the knife-running thing I don't really mind it. It's basically you committing more to sprinting instead of fighting, saying "I don't need to shoot right now, I need to move quickly" which is a tactical decision that I think makes a lot of sense to have.

Surely that's what the sprint button is for?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I swear this game intentionally crashes when i'm in a match that is going well.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

pisshead posted:

Surely that's what the sprint button is for?

They stack.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I swear this game intentionally crashes when i'm in a match that is going well.

When the double XP weekend was announced the servers poo poo the bed instantly. It was weird since the player count was still way below what it had been for most of the week.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Some dumb idiot posted:

Also add to the tutorial SHOOT/BLOW UP THE loving AURA STATION DIPSHIT because people just sacrificing themselves over and over again to the meatgrinder without shooting the stupid heal station is also pretty ridiculous.

Also Also change the Tutorial slightly because I didn't actually know Skyhammer could use his markers as 'nades with reduced cooldown until a loading screen tip told me because the Tutorial made it sound like Airstrike markers were just useless indoors, but I may just be dumb. :v:

Proxy mines are the best way to deal with Aura stations. You'd be amazed how many triple and quad kills you can get by using the prox mines as a frisbee of death.

Funny enough on the feel of Arty being underwhelming, Arty's become my go to Fire Support guy. The short CD on his call in lets me just decide someone needs to either move or die now. They're more like targeted Fragger nades that are also really solid at pounding the hell out of the EV more often. He makes a good backup to Skyhammer.

And since I don't remember seeing a CTS channel, come yell at us in the BF4/Artemis channel to play. I managed to hook at least half of the BF4 goons into this poo poo.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You'd be amazed how far you can throw a mine during a longjump, now if only it could arm while midair I'd have a spinfusor.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Nebiros posted:

And since I don't remember seeing a CTS channel, come yell at us in the BF4/Artemis channel to play. I managed to hook at least half of the BF4 goons into this poo poo.

We've been using the reticulated splines mumble to play matchmaking games for the past couple of days since someone made a DB channel in it and posted it in this thread. Should be easier to just use that for now instead of hassling the BF4 goons.

e: In fact, we've got a few slots open for matchmaking right now if anyone's interested. ip vx38.commandchannel.com port 31463 for the mumble.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 13, 2015

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I gave this game an honest try, but it's no good. I guess I expected the usual Splash Damage open level with tons of side objectives treatment, like Quake Wars, or Enemy Territory. These levels are extremely linear, and there is rarely a side objective at all. The side objectives that are occasionally added are speed bumps about ten feet from the main objective that seem to only exist for the sole purpose of them being able to add "side objectives" to their feature list.

That is not my biggest complaint though. The game is grindy as *hell*. On average I get 100 credits for a bad game, and 150 credits for a good game...when it costs 30,000 credits for the crappy classes, and 50,000 for the good ones. I'm not about to play 300 games just to try a new class. That level of grind might be possible if multiple rounds per map were a thing, but as it is, there is 5 minutes of down time every 10 minutes of play while everybody loads, readies up, the map changes, and the warmup session goes by, and the guy with the retarded accent tells me how to play the game *again*. Why the servers have to reload each map every single round makes no sense to me.

Then there are these retarded cases. I have to roll for an extremely weighted chance to get a card for each class. The card can be for a class I don't own yet, and it is heavily weighted towards Lead, the shittiest quality. Even if I get the class I want, and the quality I want, it might not have the traits I want, or the weapons I want. The entire system encourages purchasing hundreds of these stupid cases just to get what you want. Here's an idea, roll for a weapon, or a trait, and then let us mix and match those. Then you still have your grindy rear end lottery and we can customize our playstyle properly instead of waiting months/years for the proper combination to roll.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 14, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The grind isn't so bad when you realize that you get new missions every 3 hours, which gives between 500 and 1000, it's not stingy about the 1k's either.

If I remember right you get 12 credits per minute of gameplay as a base.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
In addition to the missions (which are worth 1500-3000 credits total every 3 hours) you get 20k+ credits as level up bonuses for the first few levels which lets you unlock your first merc relatively quickly. You also have 5 out of the 12 mercs to play with at the start so it's not like you're starved for choice when you first start playing either. And FYI, buying cases is almost as big of a ripoff as the credit booster, just buy the bronze card you want for credits instead.

I won't deny it's grindy but it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound.

e: Also, the cards you get aren't random, there's actually a very small pool of different combinations hand-crafted by the devs. You can see a list of all of them here.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 14, 2015

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Arsonide posted:

Then you still have your grindy rear end lottery and we can customize our playstyle properly instead of waiting months/years for the proper combination to roll.

Or why not just let people play the game? Having to unlock things that affect gameplay doesn't make sense in a multiplayer game. If the other team has unlocked all the classes and cards they'll be able to put together a far more balanced team with fewer weaknesses and more flexibility.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

pisshead posted:

Or why not just let people play the game? Having to unlock things that affect gameplay doesn't make sense in a multiplayer game. If the other team has unlocked all the classes and cards they'll be able to put together a far more balanced team with fewer weaknesses and more flexibility.

Because they need something to sell. They're not selling you the game, it's free, they'r selling you the additional mercs and loadouts.

Also, for those who haven't noticed, you can upgrade layouts - you take any 3 lead and 1k to make an iron, and 3 iron and 1k creds to make a bronze. You can choose the merc who gets the upgraded card (although not the card itself) so you're not completely locked into "never getting a layout for the merc I want."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

henkman posted:

Then you understand wrong

No, he's right.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No, he's wrong guy with 10 pages in the DotA thread

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I played League of Legends for quite some time :) Yorick and varus were the only heroes that didn't apply to *cries that guy posts in thread about other game but knows about his game too*

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Same, and that hasn't been the case for the longest time :)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Now, if you'd like to talk about the game this thread is about that would be nice. Proxy is fun

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I do not regret spending my newbie money on the sniper for pubstomping purposes but I sorta wish I had bought Proxy. I did just trade up for an Aura card and pulled an SMG load out so I'm looking forward to that. I have no problem with "the grind" because the characters I have are fun and if I had a burning desire to play as one I'd consider dropping the money on it. Basically it doesn't become a grind if you just enjoy playing the game as is

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Vassili is super cool if you have a Team who will stop people getting up in your grill and appreciate your constant Heartbeat sensors.

I run one of the Auto-Snipers instead of the slower bolt action because who needs headshots when you can just peg a guy in the chest twice faster than he can say "WTF HACKER". :shepface:

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 15, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are they going to wipe before release or will all our progress be kept?

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Some dumb idiot posted:

Vassili is super cool if you have a Team who will stop people getting up in your grill and appreciate your constant Heartbeat sensors.

I run one of the Auto-Snipers instead of the slower bolt action because who needs headshots when you can just peg a guy in the chest twice faster than he can say "WTF HACKER". :shepface:

Headshots prevent enemies from being revived and they're really, really important. The PDP can't one hit kill another sniper, either. IIRC, the other sniper rifles kill anyone but a Rhino with a single hs (I don't see many rhino players, but I'm pretty sure he has enough health to survive one or two. maybe fragger can survive in some situations, can't remember offhand.) The heartbeat sensor is good though and I think it's more important for your team than getting headshots. there are decent PDP kits with the sensor upgrade, but I recommend trying out the other rifles, especially the MOA.

Knifegrab posted:

Are they going to wipe before release or will all our progress be kept?

No more wipes.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there any way to view my missions in game or only after at the score screen and on the home screen?

Nevermind its there if you click your profile thing for the notifications.

What engineer is the best engineer?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2015

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Knifegrab posted:

Is there any way to view my missions in game or only after at the score screen and on the home screen?

Nevermind its there if you click your profile thing for the notifications.

What engineer is the best engineer?

Fletcher can be pretty drat OP some times with the sticky nades and rumor has it Bushwacker's turret will be getting a nerf. Proxy is always a sold, cheap choice.

But god drat the double xp/cash that happened this weekend should be the baseline not a event.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Rumours of a new class release on wednesday, most likely gonna be Phoenix due to him being on pretty much all promo material lately, but I'm personally rooting for Redeye or Phantom.

• Locked thread