Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
I installed this a few weeks ago and finally gave it a shot tonight, and this game hits the hole that wolfenstein ET left whenever people quit playing it. Same devs, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

platero posted:

I installed this a few weeks ago and finally gave it a shot tonight, and this game hits the hole that wolfenstein ET left whenever people quit playing it. Same devs, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

I've been playing pretty regularly, too. The classes are all interesting and I feel like this DB brings a lot of Brink's ideas to the table in ways that are actually fun and enjoyable. Right now, my only big gripe is how few maps there are in Execution mode.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Gallery is the only good execution map, waiting for it to come back will suck.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
dirty bomb would be a good game despite the plentiful bugs if SD did something about matchmaking. 90% of games are unbalanced shitfests where one side rapes the other which isn't very fun imo

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Nauta posted:

dirty bomb would be a good game despite the plentiful bugs if SD did something about matchmaking. 90% of games are unbalanced shitfests where one side rapes the other which isn't very fun imo

The playerbase is frankly too small for them to really be able to do anything about it unless they start handing out massive incentives to get people to start playing ranked. Like, getting a guaranteed elite case for winning level of incentives.

Unless you're talking about regular games with Quick Join, in which case poo poo's always going to be hosed because there's no penalty for leaving and you can join through the browser or on a friend.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
i was referring to the latter and granted that i don't know anything about the technical side of matchmaking, i'm perplexed why SD is unable implement anything while in other games automatic team balancing in pubs is the norm

isndl
May 2, 2012
Yeah, and automatic team balancing is universally poo poo in every game. I have literally never seen one that works as advertised, team balance is way too complex an issue given the number of variables involved.

It's already bad enough when someone manages to force through a shuffle vote and the attackers instantly get a free objective because half the players on the server are now waiting to respawn and all the deployables they had out disappeared. And it's not like DB hasn't made concessions to try and smooth over the painful bits, ET was full half-hour rounds for Objective mode while DB breaks it up into small 3-5 minute chunks and only adds time when you complete objectives so you don't spend 30 minutes being spawncamped. They added automatic team shuffles between maps, and later added team switching restrictions in the lobby because people were still stacking too much and now they get bitched at because friends can't play on the same team as easily (gee, I wonder why teams are stacked?).

Supposedly they do have some kind of ranking system they use for Quick Join, based on your performance in the last ten public games you played or something like that. It simply doesn't help when half the player base is actively trying to work around it.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
then i must be really good because i almost always get paired with rank <10's (i'm in the 30's) whereas the other team has three or more rank >10's

e: and min10 servers have been far and few between lately in EU

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 1, 2016

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just be the best person on the server and switch teams if you're stomping (and then counterstomp your old team).

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nauta posted:

then i must be really good because i almost always get paired with rank <10's (i'm in the 30's) whereas the other team has three or more rank >10's

e: and min10 servers have been far and few between lately in EU

I don't think your rating matters for getting assigned a team, because unless there's an uneven number of players the server will always assign a new one to the attackers first. The matchmaking service may or may not be trying to band together similarly rated players, but the details of how the system works has never been revealed as far as I know. Your displayed rank has zero bearing on anything.

Min Level 10 servers have a chicken and the egg problem where they won't fill up without having players already there, and nobody wants to sit and wait to get a game started. They also fill up more slowly because the >10 player base is smaller as you would expect. You also have the problem where after a game half the players on the server quit, which sometimes leads to a cascade of disconnects until nobody is left before you even start loading the next map, or you start up the match with like four players and they call it quits when nobody joins within the next couple minutes.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This might be a working fragger key
KGL62-5P5X2-9AG59

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Joined the group this morning as I started playing this last night to balance my Rocket Cars with some Shooting Mans. I see folks in the group posts mentioning Mumble... you guys just on CTS (where I see some channels) or somewhere else? I don't see anything specific in the OP nor in private game servers.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
hey this is still pretty fun, the pop seems pretty strong too, lots of full servers with good pings

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, I wonder if it's getting more popular now. Pings are finally working in the server browser and they added an auto-join feature for when servers are full.

Fantastic for a free to play game

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It's just a drat shame there's so little new content. I've gotten really tired of playing the same few maps and characters (I only really like playing as 2-3 of them anyway) over and over again. There's only so many times I can watch the train switch get blown up by the same gang of characters until I get tired of it.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, I wonder if it's getting more popular now. Pings are finally working in the server browser and they added an auto-join feature for when servers are full.

Fantastic for a free to play game

auto-join has been in-game for as long as i remember (started playing in sept) but sadly it doesn't work

isndl
May 2, 2012
Auto-join just polls the server periodically to see if there's space. The delay between attempts is long enough that someone can slip in before it checks again, so if you're trying to join on someone you're best off having them let you know when space opens up (usually at the end of rounds).

Quick Join seems to like putting me on EU servers now so I think they might have loosened the ping requirement. It also keeps putting me on empty servers which is annoying. Still no shortage of people ready to call you a hacker because you're top-scoring as Vassili, though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I just type 'US' into the server browser search and pick one of those that's not the Australian one.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

piratepilates posted:

It's just a drat shame there's so little new content. I've gotten really tired of playing the same few maps and characters (I only really like playing as 2-3 of them anyway) over and over again. There's only so many times I can watch the train switch get blown up by the same gang of characters until I get tired of it.

I've found that a new gun loadout can make a merc fun again sometimes. Stark stoker feels different to timik stoker, and I have enough mercs with multiple fun loadouts that I can swap around and stop it getting too stale.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I've been playing this for some time and have enough gold to get two mercs.

How are Bushwacker, Rhino and Phantom?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Bushwhacker is good, Rhino is good but I hate playing as him, and Phantom is… dead weight.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
they're all good if you're a good player but i'd say bushwhacker is the most useful out of the three

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I stopped playing for a while when FO4 came out but stoker has been a very good addition to the game. <3 my TIMIK loadout.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think phantom is way better if you just forget you have a melee attack. Just use your cloak to get behind the enemy line, wait for them to get distracted fighting someone else, and then gun them down with the blishok.

Despite that the only cobalt I have in this game is the one with the katana and the melee perk, which everyone seems to want.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Bushwhacker is a generally solid all-round engineer if your aim is good. Turret can be pretty meh but it's alright for softening up dudes or as early warning.

Rhino is a mixed bag where he either dominates scrub opponents or gets focused on super hard by more competent players. Can be pretty good if you have a medic pocketing you, but sometimes you're lucky to even have a medic in pubs.

Phantom is a recon class that can't mark enemies and doesn't have any significant advantages other than being able to close distance. He's sorta like a suicide Proxy, in that you just get inside their perimeter and just start making a mess but against teams that have a clue you'll probably only get one or maybe two kills before everyone turns around to focus you. I think he could be a lot more useful in Execution mode to call enemy routes and make big picks, but you would really need to love Execution to buy him just for that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've been playing for a couple of days and I've been loving the gunplay and the maps. Spent 19.99 on the Fletcher/Fragger/Nader pack (of course I've only got 2 useless silvers from the elite cases) and I'm in love with Nader's SMG. I guess there's no equivalent for medics/engi right?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sawbones, phoenix, bushwhacker each have a couple of her guns. Proxy has one.

Sawbones is almost exactly the same toughness and speed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

resistentialism posted:

Sawbones, phoenix, bushwhacker each have a couple of her guns. Proxy has one.

Sawbones is almost exactly the same toughness and speed.

Mmm I could go for him next then. I like Aura, but while her machine gun is ok (kinda like a Grease Gun from various WWII shooters), Nader's one is much easier to handle (higher rof with lower recoil > tons of headshots).

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Crotzni Phoenix is pretty effective, and on the Gold card I have for him his guns get this :krad: aztec gold pattern

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
So here is a giant can of worms. While not as loving crazy configurable as TF2 HUDs, you can tweak the placement of just about every element of the HUD via text file. Someone has been slowly upkeeping a webapp to export the scripting for it so you don't have to type in stuff, but it looks like you actually have to reload the entire game to see a change, so tweaking it SUCKS.

Anyway, here's the webapp page:

http://wezelkrozum.com/temp/xt_hudconfig/v3/

You drop in the code it outputs into the bottom of your DefaultUI.ini file, and voila, you can have your minimap in a place you can actually see it while playing!

I'd share what I've come up with, but I think I've met one other person that sports a 1920x1200 monitor for FPS games, so I'll spare you.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I use a 1920x1200 monitor colour me interested.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Allstone posted:

I use a 1920x1200 monitor colour me interested.

Find your DefaultUI.ini file (.....Steam\steamapps\common\Dirty Bomb\ShooterGame\Config\DefaultUI.ini), and paste this into the bottom of it:

code:
[ShooterGame.SGUIHUDPlayer]
NativeHUDResolution=(X=1280, Y=720)
WezelkrozumHUDConfiguratorResolution=(X=1920, Y=1200)
WezelkrozumHUDConfiguratorVersion=(V=2)
AbilityCooldownPosition=(Align=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=333.3333333333333,Y=192))
ActionMenuPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=13.333333333333332,Y=48))
BadgeNotificationPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=12))
CarryableStatusPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=300))
ChatInputPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=7.333333333333333,Y=6.6))
ConsoleMessageLogPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=7.333333333333333,Y=36))
DeathInfoCardPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=36))
DetectedNotificationPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=-200,Y=144))
ExpCounterPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=-200,Y=132))
ExperiencePosition=(Align=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=7.333333333333333,Y=6.6))
GameInfoPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=180))
GameplayNotificationPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=-200,Y=168))
GameWaveTimerPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=-53.33333333333333,Y=260))
IncapMenuPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0.6666666666666666,Y=4.8))
InteractionFillbarPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=276))
MinimapPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=-80,Y=95))
ObituaryMessageLogPosition=(Align=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=7.333333333333333,Y=6.6))
ObjectiveClockPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=15))
ObjectiveNotificationPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=100))
ObjectivePosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=13.333333333333332,Y=24))
ObjectiveProgressionNotificationPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_CENTER,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=-60))
ObjectiveProgressionPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=16.666666666666664,Y=15))
PlayerHealthPosition=(Align=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=333.3333333333333,Y=576))
ReadyUpPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=5.333333333333333,Y=4.8))
ScopeInfoPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_TOP),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_TOP,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=300))
SpectatorInfoPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=36))
SubtitlesPosition=(Align=(H=HA_LEFT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_CENTER,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=0,Y=200))
WeaponAmmoPosition=(Align=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_BOTTOM),Attach=(H=HA_RIGHT,V=HA_BOTTOM,HA="",VA=""),PixelOffset=(X=333.3333333333333,Y=144))
Edit: moved chat window stuff back to the bottom right. I don't listen to in game voice enough to care that it overlaps, and I can't find a way to move that element. Soooo. Yeah.

Edit 3: Removed screenshot since I updated the code block above with what I use now (which is alphabetical after the WezelkrozumHUDConfiguratorResolution line so I can find things easier. Also, I put the game wave timer above the crosshair instead of below since playing Nader puts HUD elements below the crosshair right in your way. Turns out patches ruin your DefaultUI.ini file, so I'm glad someone asked me to post this, or I would have had to start over from nothing. UGH.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 8, 2016

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Could you post a screenshot for the modded ui?

In the end, I've bought Bushwhacker as it looked more unique than the others, by the way. I'm probably going to get Vassili at 35k for the same reason.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

If "unique" is your criteria, isn't Redeye more unique than Vassili? Admittedly, I see Vassili camping the top of the scoreboard more, but I would hardly call the ol' Vaseline unique.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Screenshot added to original post.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
yah there's nothing unique about a noob vassili

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Redeye would be nicer that Vassili for sure, but it also costs 15k more...

EDIT: that means about 10? more days to unlock it, with the time I've available to play.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 1, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Finishing a round of a mode for the first time in a day gives you 500 credits, as does your first victory, so that should close the difference a fair bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

That Italian Guy posted:

Redeye would be nicer that Vassili for sure, but it also costs 15k more...

EDIT: that means about 10? more days to unlock it, with the time I've available to play.

you just have to milk the challenges, pretty easy to accumulate 2-3k credits for an hour of play

Nauta posted:

yah there's nothing unique about a noob vassili

easily the worst part of this game, terrible players who want to play "sniper" and don't care about the objectives to the point of watching their team lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Allstone posted:

Finishing a round of a mode for the first time in a day gives you 500 credits, as does your first victory, so that should close the difference a fair bit.

So if you play one Objective, one Stopwatch, and one Execution, and you win at least one of those, that's 2k right there. And if you do one set of three objectives, that's between 1500 and 3000 on top. So For about an hour of play, you get between 3500 and 5000 in a day.

Just don't do what I did and bone-headedly think that loadout card rarity has anything to do with increased stats on weapons/damage/movement/augmentations/whatever. Not sure why I made that assumption, but I did way too many trade ups to get silvers for my favorite classes when I should have just spent 17k for the Bronze loadout of my choice, or only traded up into Bronze from case drops. I'd probably have like 100k sitting around at this point.

• Locked thread