Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its one of my least favs. well, i still like it. but its in the bottom half of my final fantasy tier list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VI is just a better version of IV in every way, imo

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like V the most. Job class systems are very fun

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
6 and 5 are better but I like the story of 4, its heartwarming.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Cecil transforming into a paladin was some serious loving win when I played this game as a young child. It took me a really long time to get that far because I was 6 years old and him having a new sprite and powers and stuff was almost too much to handle. And thats why Final Fantasy 4 is one of my favorite ones

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My fave is X-2 or Lightning Returns because of the babes and the gameplay

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Red Suit posted:

I like V the most. Job class systems are very fun

This but the opposite. Job systems always leave me out in the cold. V is still fun, though, and I loved its final dungeon.

3 is the worst Final Fantasy because it's a job system full of lumps and disappointments

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

In Training posted:

My fave is X-2 or Lightning Returns because of the babes and the gameplay

Are there hot babes in Lightning Returns?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Austrian mook posted:

Are there hot babes in Lightning Returns?

There's one in the title.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Returns Lightning's last name?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Red Suit posted:

Yes.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Red Suit posted:

no its farron

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

no!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad that Final Fantasy characters all have last names.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

im apparently banned from gamefaqs even though ive never psoted there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lightning isn't even her real name, is the hosed up part.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Going over the list of the greatest games I've ever played and despite my decades of gaming the first two that came to mind, Bloodborne and MGSV, came out this year. What a time to be alive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Lightning isn't even her real name, is the hosed up part.
I bet it's like Christine or Jennifer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i like that in ff13, the characterizations are essentially different ways people deal with tragedy, lightning forces herself to become a new stronger person, hope blames everyone else, vanille forces a smile

its was simple but it worked

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

i like that in ff13, the characterizations are essentially different ways people deal with tragedy, lightning forces herself to become a new stronger person, hope blames everyone else, vanille forces a smile

its was simple but it worked
Snowfeels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I bet it's like Christine or Jennifer.

Eclair Farron

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lightning's actual given name is Susan Returns.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not all of them do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Player Characters
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Support Characters
Ignis Stupeo Scientia
Gladiolus Amicitia
Prompto Argentum

Guest Characters
Cor Leonis
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Non-Playable Characters
Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII
Cidney
Gentiana

Antagonists
Idola Aldercapt

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Not all of them do.
Umaro's last name is Snowfeels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII is a king, but his name is also Regis, the Latin word for King. FFXV is going to be so loving good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII is a king, but his name is also Regis, the Latin word for King. FFXV is going to be so loving good.

Noctis is the genitive singular form of the Latin word nox meaning "night".

Lucis, "of the light" or "belonging to the light," is the genitive form of the Latin lux, "light."

Caelum is a Latin word meaning "sky".

so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Noctis is the genitive singular form of the Latin word nox meaning "night".

Lucis, "of the light" or "belonging to the light," is the genitive form of the Latin lux, "light."

Caelum is a Latin word meaning "sky".

so good

That's classic coin theory.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFVI is full of Italians.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

FFVI is full of Italians.
All great operas are Italian.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

All great operas are Italian.
Trying to come up with a Mozart/Most are pun but failing

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
did any1 play the ff15 demo. whats the battle system like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

did any1 play the ff15 demo. whats the battle system like

I did. It wasnt very interesting to me ... Basically you hold down square to do auto attacks, which look through a set of weapons/animations which you set individually before hand. You have a dodge/parry system that uses MP , but you can't cancel out of moves so it's like a commitment and animation timing awareness system. If you run out of MP you get like 0 defense and sit on the ground while enemies whale on you, so you have to be careful. You can do team attacks on downed enemies if you parry right. It looks nice and it has potential but they're adding more variety and oak so the option to have to input the moves yourself instead of holding square, which makes me excited

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also summons are weird. If your health goes to zero you can let yourself die or just pop a summon and instantly kill anything on screen, but you forfeit all XP and drops from the encounter. Let's see what else. XP only gets added to your level once you rest at camp, and the enemies you kill drop ingredients and you have to cook a meal at a bonfire and the better food you make you get better buffs for the next day on the road. Cidney is extremely sexy

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

the way the weapons worked was interesting. you pick a weapon based on the type of attack. so you pick a weapon that will be used for auto attack, for air, for finisher etc. and they all have different stats and special characteristics like mp regen.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

I did. It wasnt very interesting to me ... Basically you hold down square to do auto attacks, which look through a set of weapons/animations which you set individually before hand. You have a dodge/parry system that uses MP , but you can't cancel out of moves so it's like a commitment and animation timing awareness system. If you run out of MP you get like 0 defense and sit on the ground while enemies whale on you, so you have to be careful. You can do team attacks on downed enemies if you parry right. It looks nice and it has potential but they're adding more variety and oak so the option to have to input the moves yourself instead of holding square, which makes me excited

gameplay like that feels like a spectator sport or something .. its such a western game type of thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

gameplay like that feels like a spectator sport or something .. its such a western game type of thing.

yah. I squirm a bit whenever a game has an animation beyond my control or something, unless it's in like a FG (required for the ebb and flow of a match) or something I seen like DQ Heroes where's it's a funny awesome explosion. But even those, I've seen the same one like 20 times already and it gets old, I'd rather everything happening on screen be because I did it

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I.N.R.I posted:

(choosing attacks from a menu in Final Fantasy 6 or whatever) see this is what I like about jRPGs, the combat is so kinetic... visceral

dynamic

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I.N.R.I posted:

tbh it reminds me of ffxiii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

tbh it reminds me of ffxiii

Paradigm shifting seems way better, but like I said, it's early. The game probably isn't coming out until 2017.

• Locked thread