Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is terrible news... I have nothing to give you but this song. It's called... "Memories of Ninten-Doh Man."
/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGUD95XFxSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so badgame isn't just the regular games forum on sa?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

One time I was looking at something on gameFAQs and my dad was and got pissed off at me for going to gamefags.com. that's my GameFAQs story

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

code:
Version 1.1-
 Grammar and spelling errors fixed.
 Nickname "Ninten-doh-Man" dropped. I go by Segaholic2 only now.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The guy that writes final fantasy guides and talks about the girls' asses is my homie.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The guy that writes final fantasy guides and talks about the girls' asses is my homie.

It was tough, being a 90s kid who loved a good rear end. Thanks, final fantasy rear end Gamer.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Pablo Gigante posted:

In 1995, the year GameFAQs started, I printed out a FAQ for Final Fantasy III on our dot matrix printer and kept it in a shiny pink folder. My parents were really pissed off that I used so much paper and ink but I don't think I ever got in trouble because they had bigger things to worry about like their marriage falling apart
i also printed out a final fantasy 3 faq in the 90s

i still have it lmao

gonna be an old man, "and here i have a lock of hair from my dead son" "here's where i learned how to get illumina"

Relin fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 9, 2015

Butlers Delight
Jul 11, 2004

NO LONGER A 24 YEAR OLD VIRGIN GUYS!

frank.club posted:

so badgame isn't just the regular games forum on sa?

It's where an classic YCS can go to be himself. Post about games, how your dick that was mutilated by a barbaric bronze age religious ritual is also small, and have a good time. Don't take my word for it, though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
doesn't sound very good, unlike gamefaqs

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

frank.club posted:

doesn't sound very good, unlike gamefaqs
it's got legentds like grafe and danbo and gvaz.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Gonna do some gamefaqs reading today about Dragon Quest VI stat growth mechanics.

My assumption was correct that the stats are character specific and that jobs only add a temporary +/- change, rather than jobs permanently affecting your stat growth as they do in final fantasy games. Thanks ignasia7.

In Training fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 9, 2015

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Robocop vs The Terminator http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/586429-robocop-versus-the-terminator/faqs/11043

quote:

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
O: Credits
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
¤ To Eddie Murphy for his awesome movies, I just laugh all the time.

¤ To Jimi Hendrix for his great music and cool guitar playing-style. Yeah,
I know that was a long time ago(30 years since he died), but I like the
music anyway. No, I'm not nostalgic, I wasn't even born when Jimi died(I'm
16, Jimi died 1970) but I think he really played that guitar total massive.
(The fave songs are Purple Haze, All along the watchtower, and Foxy Lady,
plus many more...)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
He really played that guitar total massive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

plus many more!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My assumption was correct that the stats are character specific and that jobs only add a temporary +/- change, rather than jobs permanently affecting your stat growth as they do in final fantasy games. Thanks ignasia7.

This was supposed to be a new post but I had a phone posting problem. Now I'm quoting a post that doesnt even exist :sweatdrop:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
so what was the reasoning for calling them faqs instead of guides

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The '90s, probably.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

More people did Yahoo searches for "game faqs" than "game guides."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

when you think about it, the number of steps you have to take before your SeeD rank goes down is probably not a question that is asked that frequently.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
SeeDeez nutz

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mung Dynasty posted:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

:rolleyes:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mung Dynasty posted:

SeeDeez nutz
Draw --> Leviathan

Got eem

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
as a young teen I used to read guides for games top to bottom for poo poo i never ended up even getting for like a proto lp experience lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Do any other 90's kids remember Beath of Flams

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Shout out to DSimpson for guiding me through incredible cRPGs during my formative teenage years

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That feel when we've entered an era where websites are now Young Adults or older...

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Proud Rat Mom posted:

as a young teen I used to read guides for games top to bottom for poo poo i never ended up even getting for like a proto lp experience lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I beat legend of zelda the ocarina of time with the help of this guy named marshmallow and his cool HTML gamefaqs guide: http://www.gamewinners.com/walkthrough/legend_zelda_ocarina_time/

oh no wait sorry the html thing is on gamewinners.com but whatever its a great guide

quote:

Characters

Women will get a rating of how sexy they are. Yes, this is a very sick and somewhat disturbing thought, but I want to deliver something no one's ever seen before...The scale is * - ugly and * * * * * - You salivate at the thought

1. Link:
Duh! It's you, the main hero. You get to name him at the start, so for all we know his name could be Toilet.

2. Princess Zelda:
(child - * *)
(adult - * * * *)

Princess of Hyrule, Zelda is a very naive child, but makes a very mature woman. She has prophecies in her dreams, the latest showing Hyrule's destruction.

3. Shiek:
Is it a man or a woman? All we know that he's a Sheikah and wants to help Link protect Hyrule. At the end we will find out who Sheik REALLY is.

4. Impa:
You know, the transvestite who protects Zelda. Impa is female, but due to her...strangeness, she will not receive a rating (besides, it'll embarrass her). She is also the Shadow Sage.

5. Malon:
(child - * * *)
(adult - * * * *)

Her father, Talon, owns Lon Lon Ranch. Malon obviously likes Link, as any simpleton could see, as she always teases him and calls him fairy boy.

6. Princess Ruto:
(child - * *)
(adult - * * *)

Owner of the Zora's Sapphire, she loves Link and wants to marry him. Link, for some strange reason, does not want to. Maybe Link is insane? That would, afterall, explain a lot of things...Ruto seems to have an attitude at first, but quickly grows warm and fuzzy. She is the Water Sage. Heck, she doesn't even have any clothes on...

Oh, and people say she would smell like fish, but she wouldn't because: fish do not have legs or any real brains, and Zoras obviously do, so she can not be a fish. And, even if she was, fish do not start to smell "fishy" until they have been dead for about 20 minutes, depending on the weather of course. So there!

7. Nabooru:
(* *)

I'm not implying that she is ugly, no, but she's not...attractive. Like most Gerudos, her face is heavily cloaked in makeup. She is second in command to the great Ganondorf, but she has other plans, plans of destroying the evil king! She also happens to be the Spirit Sage.

8. Saria:
(* * *)

Being a Kokiri, she never grows up, always remaining 12 years old. Saria is Link's best friend, and also the Sage of the Forest. She has powerful magic, plays the Ocarina, and spends a lot of time with Link. Besides Ruto and Nabooru, she's the only woman (er...in this case, girl) in the game who really appreciates what Link does.

9. King Darunia
King of the Gorons, Darunia is a fun loving guy who will dance to anything he likes...and I do mean dance! Just stay away when he has a temper, you know, like that uncle everyone has. Keeper of the Goron's Ruby, he is also the Fire Sage. When you save the Gorons, he becomes so happy, that he gives you the Ruby and makes you two Sworn Brothers...whatever that may be. All I want to see is the Queen of Gorons...wink, wink...

10. (ENTER NAME YOU PUT AT THE SELECTION SCREEN)
Son of the great Darunia, (ENTER NAME YOU PUT AT THE SELECTION SCREEN) was named after you, since King Darunia thinks of you as brave. This young lad is adventurous and always willing to help. He hands over the Goron Tunic if you talk to him for awhile.

11. King Zora
A quiet, shy guy, King Zora is also the fattest thing in the game! Seriously, he's huge! Strange, since all the other Zoras are very sleek and sexy...

12. Navi
(N/A)

Your own little fairy, Navi is very polite and nice, like a nun. She is female, but she is only represented by a glow with wings coming out. Shame, shame! Every Kokiri grows up with one. When Navi finds out that Link is, in fact (SPOILER), not a Kokiri, she still hangs around with 'em.

13. Ganondorf
Perhaps the most fiendish villain ever, Ganondorf has his eyes set on the shiny Triforce and will stop at NOTHING to get it. He is already very powerful. Through a series of events that I can not disclose here (major spoilers they would be) he gets his hands on it and unleashes his power onto Hyrule, turning it into a seething wasteland of monsters and destruction.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nabooru and Impa are both exceedingly spicy.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Factsareuseless Presents DreThug Presents Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

quote:

The scale is * - ugly and * * * * * - You salivate at the thought

5. Malon:
(child - * * *)
(adult - * * * *)

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At least all the child versions get lower ratings.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Proud Rat Mom posted:

It wasn't on gameFAQS but I did this with a Brady Games guide to a PS1 Harvest Moon game even though I didn't have a PS1. There were so many more features than in Harvest Moon 64 and it sounded so freaking cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It wasn't on gameFAQS but I did this with a Brady Games guide to a PS1 Harvest Moon game even though I didn't have a PS1. There were so many more features than in Harvest Moon 64 and it sounded so freaking cool.
I used to read those Nintendo Tips and Tricks and Nintendo Secrets books cover to cover.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I used to read those Nintendo Tips and Tricks and Nintendo Secrets books cover to cover.

I had one of those for Super Mario World. Very helpful stuff. Old strategy guides are cool, especially the Final Fantasy IX one because apparently they included like half of every line in the book and then had URLs to a place where you could read all the information you actually wanted to know

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I had one of those for Super Mario World. Very helpful stuff. Old strategy guides are cool, especially the Final Fantasy IX one because apparently they included like half of every line in the book and then had URLs to a place where you could read all the information you actually wanted to know

i think thats the last time people took strategy guides seriously, everyone gave up after seeing that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i think thats the last time people took strategy guides seriously, everyone gave up after seeing that

they're doing an HD re-release of that guide, to smooth out the bugs and update the graphics.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't find the FAQ I used for Final Fantasy IX, but my favorite thing about it was that he updated the FAQ with every ridiculous rumor that had ever been posted anywhere about the game and angrily refuted each one with proof.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Did anyone else get incredibly invested in the Gamefaqs Character Battles where characters were set up in brackets and the gamefaqs public voted to see who was the best? I remember intensely following one all summer and excitedly chatting with my friends about who was gonna come on top. There was a Mario vs Cloud matchup that was neck and neck all day, and as a Nintendo fan I was quite proud when the finals ended up being Mario vs Link! It was a good summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

agreed, adult malon is easily 5 stars

• Locked thread