Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazil is going to win this. Then they will have a brilliant showing at the confederations cup. By 2018, people will be talking nonstop about how incredibly motivated the Brazilians are to make people forget the 2014 fiasco. Pundits will pick them as the heavy favorites. Then Brazil will struggle in the group stages and get embarrassed the first time they face an UEFA side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To be fair, Dunga's teams always struggled to score goals against non-Argentina teams.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
God, please let Venezuela beat Brazil. If only because I am 90% sure that they would fire Dunga and name Parreira as replacement.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Lol if you believe Brazil's problems will end with dunga out.

Who said I believe Brazil's problems would end? I mean, did you really think I said what I did about bringing in Parreira because I thought he'd be an improvement?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Gotta love Conmebol. Group games in the last round won't be played at the same time, so Brazil gets to know exactly what it needs to advance.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Neymar can appeal because the 4 match ban includes not only the headbutt, but also insulting the ref. But if he succeeds, the best he can do is reduce it from 4 to 3, which means that at best he could play in a final.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I don't understand how people don't understand prioritizing winning your own tournament over another one you get invited to on a whim. It's pretty loving simple.

Maybe if teams participated in actual competitive competittions instead of beating on island nations for 4 years mexico and the us would do better internationally. See also, australia.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Seltzer posted:

The USA, Mexico, and Costa Rica did better than Italy Portugal England and Spain in the last tournament that mattered. Should Australia be begging to join the Copa? Should they just expand it until it eventually becomes an offbrand WC?

Hmmm, which nations were invited the last time around?

Though i must grant that the us team style is clearly inspired by playing against aruba and the bahamas.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nifft posted:

So is Neymar out 4 or 3?

They will decide that on tuesday.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
CBF has just decided to withdraw the appeal and Neymar is leaving Chile tomorrow.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Antares posted:

what a prima donna, couldn't wait until saturday to fly back with the rest of the team

Those commercials won't film themselves. Neymarketing has a job to do.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Is Robinho really still playing for Brazil? Holy crap they suck rear end.

The funny thing is that people get shocked that Robinho is still playing for Brazil because at least he was known internationally at some point. No one gets shocked by Diego Tardelli or Everton Ribeiro because no one follows the Chinese or UAE leagues.

I can't remember a worst soccer generation in my life.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Brazil has some good defenders though, Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, Miranda, Filipe Luis and Marcelo are all really good, even David Luiz when they don't make him actually defend. And Diego Alves is a great GK too he's just unlucky and gets injured every time he has to play for Brazil.

The problem is the midfield and non-Neymar forwards.

Diego Alves is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play in person (back when he started at Atletico Mineiro, and I've seen Taffarel, Carlos, who was the 1986 goal keeper, and Dida, who played for cruzeiro). But most of those are aging. The thing is that 5 years ago I was sure this was going to be one of the best generations we had. Pato, Ganso, Damiao, and so many others have become total busts. Tardelli with the 9 is bad, but I can't think of anyone else who would be a major upgrade.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

pik_d posted:

Have you not watched the Womens World Cup? Maybe 2015 is just a bad year for refs.

As opposed to the other years where hosts and major markets get all the breaks?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

meat CRime posted:

Its a gay rear end dichotomy. I saw people in Brazil get called faggots for wearing the wrong sunglasses.

90% of team chants in brazil are simply different ways of calling the other team gay. Especially if the other team is Sao Paulo (bambis) or Cruzeiro (marias).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mans posted:

A ton of Brazillians have that US thing where they go look for any kind of non-Portuguese European ancestry in a desperate attempt for people not to confuse them with the rest of their mixed Portuguese, Native and African people.

That is also where anything that is trying to cater to upper classes in Brazil will have a stupid french or italian name. Every freaking building has to be named maison something, and even the common areas have to be specially named. It can't be called a "salao de festas" anymore. It has to be a Spazio Gourmet.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Dunga today:
"Eu até acho que eu sou afrodescendente de tanto que apanhei e gosto de apanhar. "

"I think I am descendant of Africans, given how much I've been beaten up and how much I like being beaten up."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
clearly advanced stats indicate that the most important thing in determining the outcome of a game is the "dedos en el culo" stat.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
You could always go back to being Cisplatina and have Dunga, Scolari and Parreira rotating instead .

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Messi hasn't scored in a knockout stage for Argentina since Copa America 2007. This includes one match in 2007 (finals), 2 in 2010 (round of 16 and quarter finals), 1 in 2011 (quarterfinals), 4 in 2014 and 1 in 2015.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It isn't even just the issue of domestic managers. It is bad domestic managers. Despite being one of the 2 or 3 richest federations in the world, CBF refuses to pay for a good coach (not enough with all the kickbacks going on). Dunga was unemployed after miserably failing as manager of internacional. Scolari was the head coach of a relegated Palmeiras. Mano Menezes biggest accomplishment before becoming Brazil's coach was a couple of 2nd division titles and a Brazil cup. Dunga gets paid about R$450k a month (about US$150k), and has to accept subjecting his call ups for approval ahead of time. Meanwhile, Cuca makes US$500k a month in China and Autuori made US$3.6 million a year as headcoach of Qatar.

So of course only has beens and nobodies would accept coaching Brazil, since the average serie A club in Brazil pays more, and anything short of winning the world cup will be seen as a failure, even if half the team is decided by managers and external people.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Derlis Gonzalez's uncle suffered a heart attack and died after Derlis scored the winning penalty.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
more like 1945-2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Has there every been a punishment that wasn't reduced on appeal at conmebol?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PerpetualSelf posted:

So Colombia remains still the only team Brazil, Peru, and Argentina were unable to score against

So what you are saying is that bad offenses are bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Looking at Argentina play just makes how sad + bad Brazil were this tournament even more obvious, must be painful to be a Brazil fan these days. They almost know how I feel every day.

Heh, they will be fine. Most of them are terrible people anyways.

Polidoro posted:

Lol Messi can't buy a goal

8 years without a goal for Argentina on a knockout stage of a competition.

Edit: Why couldn't it be Brazil losing 6-1 today? Why?

• Locked thread