Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders

are the youth too PC?

one of my favorite young person jokes is someone saying "thats racist!" whenever someone mentions the colors black or brown or white in any context.

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
jes suis wetnightmare

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

Commie NedFlanders posted:

are the youth too PC?

one of my favorite young person jokes is someone saying "thats racist!" whenever someone mentions the colors black or brown or white in any context.

This happens at Magic tournaments way too often.

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

google THIS posted:

it's a good thing byob isn't funny

joke_explainer

I thought about it a bit today and about what DCT wrote. And read some of George Carlin's material trying to think critically about it. I agree that humor is almost always transgressive. You have to cross those boundaries in some way in humor at times. Maybe its the exploration of the impact sometimes. And like DCT said, it can be far from simple, a nuanced thing -- maybe the exploration of that boundary can sometimes be part of the joke and the transgression. I still feel like the crux is just it whether or not the assumed argument of the joke is malicious or hateful. Like a joke from one of Carlin's famous bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nknAzQPHE

I mean, somebody who has seen a flamethrower in action's first thought might be like 'These things are not laughing matters, they're awful...' but I mean, Carlin is definitely not pro-flamethrower here. It's transgressive in a way, it's dark, but its not malicious.

Guys, I'm not sure we'll ever finish the Unified Theory of Comedy. *throws chalk to the ground*

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Sec drone makes every thread better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I think there's a lot of pressure right now to use irony to to deflect how offended we are at really hosed up and offensive stuff, and if you don't then you get treated badly for it. Trolling is seen as humor, and is very offensive by its nature, and if you get offended or upset, you get laughed at or mocked. That's hosed up, especially if it's related to sexism or racism. I don't understand why it gets a pass.

• Locked thread