Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

JuffoWup posted:

Protip in pve. If you are driving a mbt and can get up to a good speed (the challenger even at full speed is too slow though), ram light tanks. I just did 1k damage to one of those ultra light tanks in my t-72b. Ultralight as in a vbl or something. I couldn't stop laughing after it happened. So yeah, ram everything.
Yeah this is one of the actually good changes. And to my delight it seemed like a lot of pubbies had noticed it too, I saw many cases of someone plowing headlong into a BMP or something and just loving deleting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

JuffoWup posted:

Protip in pve. If you are driving a mbt and can get up to a good speed (the challenger even at full speed is too slow though), ram light tanks. I just did 1k damage to one of those ultra light tanks in my t-72b. Ultralight as in a vbl or something. I couldn't stop laughing after it happened. So yeah, ram everything.

I don't know what's light and what isn't so I just ram everything with everything.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tiny vehicles are light.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

much like what I learned during my wrassling lessons, if it's smaller than me I can kinda sorta just lay down on them and I win.

Who said being fat is a bad thing?!?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

JuffoWup posted:

i like that vehicles feel like they have weight now. as opposed to what it felt like when it first went gold/open beta/whatever they are calling it right now.

im also glad that this game exists because war thunder sucks even more and I need my tanks fix while WoT is still suffering under patch 9.18

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 22, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

the playerbase in this game is terrible and why the gently caress does a tier 4 arti have more hp than a tier 5 light

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

the playerbase in this game is terrible and why the gently caress does a tier 4 arti have more hp than a tier 5 light

The playerbase is amazing. I've lost pve games. I have no idea how that was possible even before balance 2.0, but these players did it anyway.

Also, another pve tip. Fire atgms whenever possible. It is like old heat shells, but aps still doesn't work because it is hard to be shooting outside of 250m thanks to the corridor effect on most maps. And also because of the way things spawn.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They should have like 50 meters minimum range at most for APS in PVE.

Wish I could play, PvE with Goons was great fun.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 24, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

lol this game is worse than before. MBTs are still literally immortal even in PvE, even in hard difficulty, but now the autocannon lights are just much worse positioned. If they go forwards and scout, they're going to get snapshot by AI and die in 4 shots, but if they hang back and just launch missiles nothing's going to spot and if your MBTs are shitheads you'll just lose to the AI capping. The autocannons have to hit very specific spots on the enemy tanks, but I guess having literally no reload is pretty cool. Just hold left click forever until you run out of HP or ammo.

I lost a medium PvE because I just kinda went buck wild with the BMD-2 and did 5000 damage, burnt my kit to refill my HP, then did another 4k and two enemies spawned on top of me while I was in the second objective resetting, and then the other four players on my team did 3000 combined and let the AI cap. All the others were unlosable games because either I was in an MBT or a competent human was in an MBT and willing to press W and go towards the enemy tanks and left click on them.

Oh neat, they still haven't solved the tanks materializing out of thin air thing in PvE. Nothing like having a Bagel deepstrike in and knock off 80% of my HP before it dies. Then having a second one finish me off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Oh neat, they still haven't solved the tanks materializing out of thin air thing in PvE. Nothing like having a Bagel deepstrike in and knock off 80% of my HP before it dies. Then having a second one finish me off.

Yeah I waddled into seven enemy tanks in my Challenger and killed them all, taking one damaging hit in return, then a couple minutes later a Swingfire spawned in front of me and fired two missiles in five seconds that took off 1400 of my HP. That'd have been all of my HP if I weren't in an overpowered MBT.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's actually fun to ram now, but for the love of christ, don't 'pancake' even a light tank - it takes off something like 500hp off the both of you in ~3 second ticks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hellsau posted:

Yeah I waddled into seven enemy tanks in my Challenger and killed them all, taking one damaging hit in return, then a couple minutes later a Swingfire spawned in front of me and fired two missiles in five seconds that took off 1400 of my HP. That'd have been all of my HP if I weren't in an overpowered MBT.
The Swingfire sure is something else now that it's a tier 6 TD instead of a tier 4 AFV.

Also the Bagel's new gun is pretty hilarious. The damage dropped to 115 per shell but it has a 20 round clip now and fires about as fast as the one on the Fox.

EDIT: Oh and unlike JuffoWup said, the Challenger can still ram things for several hundred, it just needs a bit to pick up speed.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 24, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

this game is terrible but its still better than the rage inducing 9.18 arty patch in WoT

like holy poo poo spotting mechanics in this game is all kinds of hosed up and you pretty much have to be in a MBT to be competitive but even then the spotting mechanics in this game fucks everything else up in pvp. it makes like 0 sense, to me, in how it works.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 24, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They shouldn't halve the PvE view distance or whatever.

What happened with WoT artillery now, btw? That longass stun mechanic?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dandywalken posted:

faster reload, faster aim, bigger splash radius + stun

literally huge rear end buff to arty for no drat reason

not only do they hit more often and more consistently, you get aftereffects of stun too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dandywalken posted:

Agrajag fails to mention that their damage also got slashed in like half and they only have HE shells left, the penetration of which was also drastically cut so that people aren't getting instagibbed out of the blue anymore.

Head to the WoT thread for a more level-headed breakdown, Agrajag is basically the only one having an aneurysm over it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nordick posted:

Agrajag fails to mention that their damage also got slashed in like half and they only have HE shells left, the penetration of which was also drastically cut so that people aren't getting instagibbed out of the blue anymore.

Head to the WoT thread for a more level-headed breakdown, Agrajag is basically the only one having an aneurysm over it.

hmm yes tell me how you love the large rear end splash radius, faster reload, faster aim, and stun mechanic. totally having an aneurysm over it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Getting hit by artillery isn't as dangerous, but getting hit by artillery while in sight of the enemy is brutal. I don't think it's necessarily overpowered but the incentives it sets up are a problem.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Agrajag just forgets that previously when arty focused you, you would be dead instantly. Now they have to hit you multiple times to kill you, which is still infuriating as you die from someone across the map with no recourse. Its better but more annoying.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Sounds like a good time to test out the bat 155 58 again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Every shell exploding on impact with a deafening "Bonjour!"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Sounds like a good time to test out the bat 155 58 again.

Have fun with your 0 damage direct hits :( French arti is real bad right now, even worse than it was before the patch.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hellsau posted:

Have fun with your 0 damage direct hits :( French arti is real bad right now, even worse than it was before the patch.

Don't you at least get hella sweet stun assist credit?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Don't you at least get hella sweet stun assist credit?

you've been out of the game so long you think your shithead pubbies actually fire their guns at spotted enemy tanks, arti can't platoon anymore so no.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Nordick posted:

I see someone only plays heavily-armored tanks. S-51 still insta-gibs Rhoombas, for examples. Yeah, don't get spotted, but when Johnnie McPubberton decides to yolo and suiscout at the start of the match and the green tanks forget that they're supposed to shoot red tanks you don't exactly have the speed to get out of the way. Plus it'll still blow you up through solid cover.
Light tanks get insta-gibbed, too, but lol if you play a light tank now.

For AW-related stuff: The Bagel's new gun's an interesting one. The aimtime and min-accuracy buffing retros are (obviously) completely mandatory on it, more than on others, because each shot causes massive bloom. If you can put your barrel up against a distracted tank's rear end, though, you can just delete them.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The XM1A3's new two-round autoloader's pretty neat. Gives the tank extremely high alpha (two 140mm shots in 4 seconds) followed by an ~18s reload.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Right, I didn't expect that to change. I more meant the fact that it having a larger splash radius and the stun. Plus the mobility to get into place and an autoloader could make for some great comedy on perma stunning groups of enemies. It still requires others to left click which is difficult.

JuffoWup posted:

The playerbase is amazing. I've lost pve games. I have no idea how that was possible even before balance 2.0, but these players did it anyway.

Also, another pve tip. Fire atgms whenever possible. It is like old heat shells, but aps still doesn't work because it is hard to be shooting outside of 250m thanks to the corridor effect on most maps. And also because of the way things spawn.

I want to update on this a bit. I'm not sure on aps distances anymore, so ignore my statement on that. What I do know is that it highly depends on WHICH tanks should be abusing their atgms. I tried on my t-72b and it was a complete disaster compared to just using heat. It was not penning on some really dumb stuff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Are the spotting mechanics in AW just insanity? I actually don't understand how I'm not spotting things right in front of my BMD-2, or stuff firing at me down a road or whatever, and then they just pop up halfway in my view range circle. Do the AI tanks get a bonus to their view range or something?

JuffoWup posted:

Right, I didn't expect that to change. I more meant the fact that it having a larger splash radius and the stun. Plus the mobility to get into place and an autoloader could make for some great comedy on perma stunning groups of enemies. It still requires others to left click which is difficult.

The Bat 155 58 now has a 50something second reload, a 3 shell autoloader, and 10 seconds between shots. It's not good.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

JuffoWup posted:

You could lose before, you just needed a team full of thin skinned, light vehicles played by people who use them like MBTs. That said, I actually lost two PvE games since i started playing again (with the patch) because people managed to not get to the objective, it was also partially my fault for doing a round-trip around the map to gather all the secondary objectives and just assuming that the main-blob would slowly crawl towards the objective instead of getting bogged down by 'medium' AI near the spawn. :psyduck:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Are the spotting mechanics in AW just insanity? I actually don't understand how I'm not spotting things right in front of my BMD-2, or stuff firing at me down a road or whatever, and then they just pop up halfway in my view range circle. Do the AI tanks get a bonus to their view range or something?

Are you getting shot at by ai AFV's or TD's?

TD's got a active ability that lets them shoot without dropping camo I think and AFV's have pretty great camo after firing in this game. Who knows though with how the development of this game has gone.

Has anyone tried global operations yet with the new patch?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Holy poo poo this game is dead. Getting into a pvp match resulted in a 2 minute queue for a 5v5 of mixed tier 1, 2 and 3 vehicles. Pve gave me a 1 minute queue and still couldn't put together a team full of the same tier tanks.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Holy poo poo this game is dead. Getting into a pvp match resulted in a 2 minute queue for a 5v5 of mixed tier 1, 2 and 3 vehicles. Pve gave me a 1 minute queue and still couldn't put together a team full of the same tier tanks.

Yeah they hosed up pretty bad when they poo poo out tier 9 and 10 tanks for no reason. Pretty much the straw that broke this games back. If they simply stayed to tier 8 as the max and worked on balancing the game we would probably have been looking at a pretty good product by now.

That said, who knows if they can get a breath of life by tossing this on steam when they decide to "release" it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So the rebalance failed to rekindle interest? That's disappointing as hell :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

So the rebalance failed to rekindle interest? That's disappointing as hell :(

They didn't rebalance the poo poo that needed to get rebalanced in the direction that it needed to be rebalanced. Who the gently caress thought that autocannons were penning MBT sides too well that they needed to get nerfed? Why the gently caress are MBTs still functionally immortal and have as good guns as my loving TDs? Christ. I tried playing the tier 5 ERC and there's no goddamn reason I should play that tank over my tier five MBTs. It has no armor, it has goddamn wheels which still don't control worth a poo poo, and the damage output isn't better than my tier five Leo or M60. So stupid. Just remove all non-MBT tanks and make it MBT vs MBT all day erry day.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

They didn't rebalance the poo poo that needed to get rebalanced in the direction that it needed to be rebalanced. Who the gently caress thought that autocannons were penning MBT sides too well that they needed to get nerfed? Why the gently caress are MBTs still functionally immortal and have as good guns as my loving TDs? Christ. I tried playing the tier 5 ERC and there's no goddamn reason I should play that tank over my tier five MBTs. It has no armor, it has goddamn wheels which still don't control worth a poo poo, and the damage output isn't better than my tier five Leo or M60. So stupid. Just remove all non-MBT tanks and make it MBT vs MBT all day erry day.

Tier 9 Centauro has lower damage and reload than tier 9 MBTs. Basically, only thing worth using now are MBTs, some LTs and Terminators.

Okay, some things were dumb and needed to get adjusted (Centauro 120, Draco, BMP-3M, low tier MBTs could have used some armor buffs, etc.) but they went in completely opposite direction. Also, even high tier MBTs are idiotically vulnerable to missile spam in PvE - ran into a T-15 HIFV in my T-90MS, got shot four times straight in my turret ring for 3000 damage.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Even in the early release there was pretty much no reason to bring anything into a PvP match that wasn't 12 MBTs and 3 scout tanks above tier 5. TD's had a DPM advantage, but were always awkward to use, since they often had wheels and/or no gun depression. Autocannon tanks were only kinda useful against each other, or shooting a missile every 12 seconds that might do nothing. Plus you had a huge HP pool disadvantage and were often 2-3 shots from being killed at full health.
Once tier 6 hit, everything else was pretty useless. The Terminator was only good because it was difficult as hell to damage and could vomit 4 missiles at someone.

They should remove all MBTs and make it all light tanks, autocannons and TD's. Make it seem like a war between people who can only afford light vehicles. Then you'd have a fun mix of autocannons murdering things up close, but weak at range. TDs are the opposite, lights split the difference.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

They should remove all MBTs and make it all light tanks, autocannons and TD's. Make it seem like a war between people who can only afford light vehicles. Then you'd have a fun mix of autocannons murdering things up close, but weak at range. TDs are the opposite, lights split the difference.

Make it seem like a war between competing private military companies that need to get in, wreck poo poo, and get out oh wait I described their actual lore why are these people using MBTs to destroy some radio towers and signal jammers again?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hellsau posted:

Make it seem like a war between competing private military companies that need to get in, wreck poo poo, and get out oh wait I described their actual lore why are these people using MBTs to destroy some radio towers and signal jammers again?

Because not every country has a $500b/year military budget or the funding for logistics to operate more than glorified armored cars?

Anyway, I'm pissed they hosed this game up - I was hoping for multiplayer Strike Commander with planes. Start with the F-86, MiG-15, Hawker Hunter and work your way up to a max of Gen4+ or something. No F-22s and the like.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Just remove all MBT tanks and make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Never thought about it, but no-MBTs would be pretty loving sweet tbh.

• Locked thread