Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What gets me is that ramming is a legitimately fun thing to do now, but I've not seen a single person do it. They will sit and take fire from two (and sometimes more) tanks, when they could ram one and shoot the other, and mitigate incoming fire by half for only a minor loss in hitpoints. Even when I'm one-on-one, unless it's another MBT where I could lose a decent chunk of hitpoints, I'll ram in the hopes of a one-shot and only *then* finish them off with a sabot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What gets me is that ramming is a legitimately fun thing to do now, but I've not seen a single person do it. They will sit and take fire from two (and sometimes more) tanks, when they could ram one and shoot the other, and mitigate incoming fire by half for only a minor loss in hitpoints. Even when I'm one-on-one, unless it's another MBT where I could lose a decent chunk of hitpoints, I'll ram in the hopes of a one-shot and only *then* finish them off with a sabot.

I've had two teammates go for SICK RAMS and it's great. Ram kills best kills.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Yeah, except as I learned on the testing grounds, don't 'goomba stomp' any tanks - evidently they didn't model that correctly and even against a light tank, it takes off something like 500+ damage per three second interval or something.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Dandywalken posted:

Never thought about it, but no-MBTs would be pretty loving sweet tbh.

I could go for some Unarmored Warfare, yeah

Hellsau posted:

The IS-7's fantastic for this if you wanted to play Tier 3. Stronk Soviet heavy tanks smash capitalist main battle tanks.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The main cause of pubbie teams losing in PvE seems to be the AI's insane pixel hunting powers that it picked up somewhere. AI units always go for the optics or the turret ring on MBTs, rendering the already-blind only unit in the game that can survive PvE's damage output even more blind, and making MBT armor barely worth a drat against ATGMs and cannon fire going straight through the turret ring.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The AI spotting is supposed to be outright bugged according to a dev. Or detection versus AI, idk which.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

The AI spotting is supposed to be outright bugged according to a dev. Or detection versus AI, idk which.

I was inside the south cap on the winter runway map in my BMP-2, the enemy AI managed to cap the north cap because I literally couldn't spot them a short distance away with no cover between us. It's loving absurd.

Also pubbies are goddamn terrible at this game - how the gently caress are players dying in the Challenger? I wander into enemy tanks and the only damage I take is the ~20 damage I take when I ram some loving light tank for 600 damage, the shots I take to the direct rear hull (the rear turret appears invulnerable) and the damage I take when AI missiles just go through the turret ring. It's real stupid. I guess My.Com is balancing MBTs based on the stupidest possible player imaginable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I sometimes take a few penetrating hits in the Chally when I go for a sick ram and end up in the middle of a herd of bots, but then I just back out and continue eating shells to the face all day. Actually dying in that drat thing takes conscious effort.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
many of the losses I have been a part of involved sniping mbts who wouldn't get up front to take the damage. Especially the autocannon tanks. A mbt just laughs, and these guys would rather hide. And if they are spotted, smoke grenades and full reverse are immediately used to remove themselves from the situation.

This has the bomus effect that all the support tanks behind them are either suddenly in front or stand there blind as the clock ticks unable to see the enemy.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

They didn't rebalance the poo poo that needed to get rebalanced in the direction that it needed to be rebalanced. Who the gently caress thought that autocannons were penning MBT sides too well that they needed to get nerfed? Why the gently caress are MBTs still functionally immortal and have as good guns as my loving TDs? Christ. I tried playing the tier 5 ERC and there's no goddamn reason I should play that tank over my tier five MBTs. It has no armor, it has goddamn wheels which still don't control worth a poo poo, and the damage output isn't better than my tier five Leo or M60. So stupid. Just remove all non-MBT tanks and make it MBT vs MBT all day erry day.

Well to be fair, as far as the real vehicles modeled in the game are concerned, modern MBTs are pretty much all-around better than any "lesser" vehicles. The light poo poo, IFVs, scouts, etc., have their own purposes and were never intended to engage MBTs, and the same goes (as far as fighting MBTs head-to-head at close range) for TDs/SPGs. But since you brought it up, and CitizenKain elaborated on it here:

CitizenKain posted:

Even in the early release there was pretty much no reason to bring anything into a PvP match that wasn't 12 MBTs and 3 scout tanks above tier 5. TD's had a DPM advantage, but were always awkward to use, since they often had wheels and/or no gun depression. Autocannon tanks were only kinda useful against each other, or shooting a missile every 12 seconds that might do nothing. Plus you had a huge HP pool disadvantage and were often 2-3 shots from being killed at full health.
Once tier 6 hit, everything else was pretty useless. The Terminator was only good because it was difficult as hell to damage and could vomit 4 missiles at someone.

They should remove all MBTs and make it all light tanks, autocannons and TD's. Make it seem like a war between people who can only afford light vehicles. Then you'd have a fun mix of autocannons murdering things up close, but weak at range. TDs are the opposite, lights split the difference.

...they could still salvage what they have by implementing two game modes: non-MBT and only MBT. I think that would satisfy all players and make each match a more level playing field. That being said, I haven't touched this game in months and have no desire to do so now. :shrug:

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I was doing a PvE match a few months back and there was some pubbie in a Bradley bitching about how his missiles didn't one-shot things and how they totally should since Bradleys had the most armor-kills during the Gulf War and furthermore. Unsurprisingly, he barely did anything except get blown up.

An MBT-only mode and a no-MBTs-allowed mode would be hella fun, but there also isn't anywhere near enough of a player base for that sort of split.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick posted:

Yeah I sometimes take a few penetrating hits in the Chally when I go for a sick ram and end up in the middle of a herd of bots, but then I just back out and continue eating shells to the face all day. Actually dying in that drat thing takes conscious effort.
Welp pride goeth before a fall and all that, I just managed to die in a Challenger.
I had already used my heal and repair kit earlier after getting intensely focused on for a bit, and then some goddamn bot broke my engine just when my rear end was momentarily pointed towards a couple of them, and set me on fire twice in a row. RIP in piss.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
"Hey guys, please play our game"

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/manowar-showdown

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Man I wish this game was good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I don't even want a lovely razor headset that'll die in three months. They're giving out three lovely headsets to the three poopsockiest players. No thanks.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I don't even want a lovely razor headset that'll die in three months. They're giving out three lovely headsets to the three poopsockiest players. No thanks.

That is why I quoted the whole "please play our game, please." It reminds me of that cross promotion thing WG did to have people for e3 attendees to play with in World of Warplanes.

Also, if you do effort your way up the tree, make a side run to the t-80U. It is the end of that little split and doesn't seem like much, but it is the perfect tank for pve. Why? Well, it is a mbt. It has typical sloped russian bullshitium armor. However, unlike most mbts, this thing has the speed of those light tanks. It allows you to really flex around the map in a hilarious fashion. Alternatively, you can just ram everything for comedy.

As for premiums, the merkava is a wierd rear end tank. They had said leading up to this patch that it was going to get an update by adding its era armor. That didn't happen. Instead, it got the new ready rack thing. What this means is that it is the only MBT in the game with a 3 shot autoloader type mechanic. However, there is still a glacial 4s reload between each shot. Followed by a 20s reload to refill the ready rack before you get 3 more shots again. It feels like you are playing a maus with some strange autoloader attached. IE, armored, heavy, and slow.

The terminators are absolute junk though. The rockets are ok, but the autocannons are pointless. I kind of miss the multiple light tank pubbies that would race ahead of me in a mbt and then get face melted by a terminator or two before they could get away.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JuffoWup posted:

Also, if you do effort your way up the tree, make a side run to the t-80U. It is the end of that little split and doesn't seem like much, but it is the perfect tank for pve. Why? Well, it is a mbt. It has typical sloped russian bullshitium armor. However, unlike most mbts, this thing has the speed of those light tanks. It allows you to really flex around the map in a hilarious fashion. Alternatively, you can just ram everything for comedy.

Also, stop at T-72B on other russian MBT line. T-90s are not good right now, my T-90MS get penned frontally by absolutely everything. I've learned how to drive and shoot without using my turret because it's constantly broken. M1 series tanks were useless before the patch, they are borderline OP now. Leopard 2A4 Evo is amazing.

quote:

The terminators are absolute junk though. The rockets are ok, but the autocannons are pointless. I kind of miss the multiple light tank pubbies that would race ahead of me in a mbt and then get face melted by a terminator or two before they could get away.

Try the Warrior if you want absolute junk. I loved it pre-patch, but it's beyond garbage now.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Reset my skill tree, now got all the british tank and all the russian ones that matter (T-64 and T-80). Game is still fun in coop when you stick to MBTs. Otherwise meh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

Reset my skill tree, now got all the british tank and all the russian ones that matter (T-64 and T-80). Game is still fun in coop when you stick to MBTs. Otherwise meh.

My Hard matches have been unlosable solo when I'm in an MBT, even when my "teammates" are subhuman garbage that all manage to get <5k damage in a tier 7 match while I'm the only one alive at the end with 20k while also being at the front line the entire match. If I were platooned with 4 other actual humans I don't see how it would be much fun - there's literally no way to lose unless you deliberately sabotage yourself or your teammates. The AI simply cannot damage MBTs outside of HE or ATGMs.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hellsau posted:

My Hard matches have been unlosable solo when I'm in an MBT, even when my "teammates" are subhuman garbage that all manage to get <5k damage in a tier 7 match while I'm the only one alive at the end with 20k while also being at the front line the entire match. If I were platooned with 4 other actual humans I don't see how it would be much fun - there's literally no way to lose unless you deliberately sabotage yourself or your teammates. The AI simply cannot damage MBTs outside of HE or ATGMs.

By tier 10 the AI can and will shoot through your turret ring over and over to kill you, but it still takes the AI over four times as long to kill an MBT compared to anything else.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

YellerBill posted:

By tier 10 the AI can and will shoot through your turret ring over and over to kill you, but it still takes the AI over four times as long to kill an MBT compared to anything else.

my tier 5 and 7 MBTs are immortal though, and there's no way I'd bother grinding through this bullshit to get to higher tiers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
0.20 garage changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z5Uriq5mA

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
lmao nice WoT imitation there guys, great job

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Is that a joke video? It's literally the world of tanks garage.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Wasn't the rumor that a huge source of friction between these guys and Obsidian, was that Obsidian wanted to make something other than a lazy, straight clone of WoT?

This is like the least surprising thing I could imagine...

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
oh boy it's that time again! where you regret every spending money on a game! :suicide:
ah well at this this shitheap of a game isn't eating 20 loving gigs on my harddrive anymore :v:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I didn't know pve was so hard, but apparently this group thought so.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
0.2 arrived. That garage UI wasn't a joke:

The rest of the notes are here:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-update-020-tanks-reloaded

Main highlights appears to be some fixes to the t-90 and t-90a armor schemes. Still ongoing they said, but some fixes are in with this patch. Likewise, TDs got a bit of a buff with some vehicles getting ready racks (auto loader basically) and also accuracy buff. Also, arty fire rate buff.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

0.2 arrived. That garage UI wasn't a joke:

The rest of the notes are here:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-update-020-tanks-reloaded

Main highlights appears to be some fixes to the t-90 and t-90a armor schemes. Still ongoing they said, but some fixes are in with this patch. Likewise, TDs got a bit of a buff with some vehicles getting ready racks (auto loader basically) and also accuracy buff. Also, arty fire rate buff.

That's kinda blatant.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Have they added Frenchy tanks yet?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CitizenKain posted:

That's kinda blatant.

russia dot tee ex tee

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, apparently the oft mentioned storyline isn't what you thought it would be:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/storyline-campaign-episode-1

Yup, it is just website competition thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Welp, apparently the oft mentioned storyline isn't what you thought it would be:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/storyline-campaign-episode-1

Yup, it is just website competition thing.

lol jesus christ, "unlock these three specific tanks and win 10 battles in them to get an exceptionally marginal reward! Plus there might even be better rewards for much harder missions and do them all and get something super special, but we're not gonna tell you what you need to do and what you stand to win. Is everyone excited for our poo poo game?!"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This game is so incredibly loving dead lmao

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nordick posted:

This game is so incredibly loving dead lmao

"more balance issues than World of Warplanes" is not a criticism that I expected to levy at many games

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

lol jesus christ, "unlock these three specific tanks and win 10 battles in them to get an exceptionally marginal reward! Plus there might even be better rewards for much harder missions and do them all and get something super special, but we're not gonna tell you what you need to do and what you stand to win. Is everyone excited for our poo poo game?!"

On hard mode. The first two being MBTs and being able to run PvE is fine, but having the Bradley at Tier 8 is just mean-spirited. I'm almost surprised they didn't include premium-equivalent tanks into the mix, but there isn't a premium Leo 2 I don't think.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Well, I guess I've spent 60 bucks on worse games, but boy do I feel dumb putting money into this shitshow back on the first alpha. The game actually had potential too. At least in the first 5 tiers. Tier 6 on was a mess, but a fixable one.
They should just sell the whole thing to Tencent and let the Chinese take a crack at it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Hellsau posted:

At this point Obsidian has to be pretty happy about being cut loose from this poo poo show.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

lol jesus christ, "unlock these three specific tanks and win 10 battles in them to get an exceptionally marginal reward!

But you are wrong there! You can buy these same progression tanks, without reskins or premium bonuses, for gold!

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/offer-seahawks-armory

What a blatant cash grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
This game could have gone to places if they didn't try badly aping WoT every step of the way.

• Locked thread