Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

a creepy colon posted:

It's weird how all the 'nice' and 'sincere' posters from earlier are now turning against you simply because you choose to try and stay together for the kids.

You guys realize insulting him over and over again because he isnt doing exactly what you want is stupid right?

First of all, "staying together for the kids" is universally a terrible idea, particularly when the relationship is so completely over.

Being weirdly evasive about the reality of the situation, and rejecting pretty much all advice the OP has made it clear he's really into the whole well experience.

I keep hoping the OP will wake the gently caress up instead of just passively dreaming of some alternate reality but I'm pretty sure its going to get really loving real when she destroys him in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
My parents stayed together for my sisters and I.

It was loving hell for two decades. For God's sake, don't ever try to stick it out for your children.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeeeeah, please don't think you can get back together with her (or even should) just for the kids. It is not worth it and it's going to create an incredibly bad environment for them to grow up in.

That said, do get a lawyer. You can contest a lot of the stuff she's thrown out there and you seem like you do care a lot for your kids, so it wouldn't do to lose them or to only have like two days a month with them.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Clocks posted:

Yeeeeah, please don't think you can get back together with her (or even should) just for the kids. It is not worth it and it's going to create an incredibly bad environment for them to grow up in.

That said, do get a lawyer. You can contest a lot of the stuff she's thrown out there and you seem like you do care a lot for your kids, so it wouldn't do to lose them or to only have like two days a month with them.

I would never stay together for the kids. She would have to want to be with me and have therapy. Hell I need therapy. Is not going to be all happy fun time right away. Reconciliation might chine a year from now it might chine 10 years from now

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

r00tn00b posted:

I would never stay together for the kids. She would have to want to be with me and have therapy. Hell I need therapy. Is not going to be all happy fun time right away. Reconciliation might chine a year from now it might chine 10 years from now

It's chime. Is English your first language? Not being rude, but I think it would explain a little bit of the communication disconnect you seem to have with the thread.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

something clever posted:

It's chime. Is English your first language? Not being rude, but I think it would explain a little bit of the communication disconnect you seem to have with the thread.
Hes just dumb as a chine

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

r00tn00b posted:

Post an update in 10 years

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

MassaShowtime posted:

Hes just dumb as a chine

:boom:

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

something clever posted:

It's my phone it corrected come to chime and I didn't notice. Thanks for pointing it out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CravingSolace posted:

My parents stayed together for my sisters and I.

It was loving hell for two decades. For God's sake, don't ever try to stick it out for your children.

It's a pretty universal opinion that "stay together for the kids" is loving terrible because even young children can pick up on the hostility and tension between the parents and it fucks with their emotional development.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Here's what you should do OP:

1. Get a loving lawyer.
2. Disable the auto-correct on your phone.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
3. Get divorced

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

Bill Pullman posted:

3. Get divorced

That's unfair, everyone's situation is different I guess. But holding out hope that something might change in 10 years is a great way to live an unfulfilling life. She doesn't have your interests at heart at all. The sooner you put your happiness (including saving your relationship with your kids) the better.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Omg guys. I spoke with a lawyer. With all the information in the protection order and the history of her leaving me with the kids and all that. There is no way for her to take my rights as a parent and 50% custody is the most likely outcome.

He also thinks we can get the order dissolved so she can't hold that over my head any more.

This lifts a great weight off my chest.

I still will hope for reconciliation. But at least now I know I will likely get my kids.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

Omg guys. I spoke with a lawyer. With all the information in the protection order and the history of her leaving me with the kids and all that. There is no way for her to take my rights as a parent and 50% custody is the most likely outcome.

He also thinks we can get the order dissolved so she can't hold that over my head any more.

This lifts a great weight off my chest.

I still will hope for reconciliation. But at least now I know I will likely get my kids.

This is good, congrats.
Now keep listening to your lawyer and do what he says.

Be realistic, your honest best outcome is getting a divorce and still getting your kids.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Error 404 posted:

This is good, congrats.
Now keep listening to your lawyer and do what he says.

Be realistic, your honest best outcome is getting a divorce and still getting your kids.

I'm aware of that. I really and truly am. But that won't stop me from keeping just a little hope that I can get my family back.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I'm aware of that. I really and truly am. But that won't stop me from keeping just a little hope that I can get my family back.

That's fine. Dumb, but fine. So long as that hope doesn't prevent you from doing what needs to be done to protect yourself and your kids. Namely, do what your lawyer tells you to do.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would say you need to get used to the idea that your family is now "my kids and their mother who I am on amicable terms with" and find some happiness in that scenario because "my kids and their mother, my loving wife" is almost certainly over if, be honest with yourself, it ever really existed in the first place

But its your life OP, namaste

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Travis343 posted:

I would say you need to get used to the idea that your family is now "my kids and their mother who I am on amicable terms with" and find some happiness in that scenario because "my kids and their mother, my loving wife" is almost certainly over if, be honest with yourself, it ever really existed in the first place

But its your life OP, namaste

We had a lot of good years together. Lots of happy memories. This last 6 months had been the poo poo part.

I know it's not likely. But I just want to be happy. And right now happy is me. My kids and my wife as a family. The thought of that is what keeps me going. You might think I'm pathetic and by all means you cab think that. But you don't know the whole history and all the emotions of the last 8 years of my life. You know of this turmoil and is immediate effects. If we cannot be together I will accept that eventually when I'm ready to. I can't force it. I'll see a therapist and hang out with my kids. I'll do my best.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I dont think youre pathetic. That was out of line, sorry, I had no right to imply your marriage wasn't happy and loving.

If she was behaving erratically I would say, maybe with therapy and help she could come around and be that loving wife you remember, but she's not actually behaving erratically, she's behaving very purposefully as someone who wants you the hell out of her life. For whatever reason, I don't know, but if at some point she comes around, I just hope you remember this time and this feeling and try not to get swept away by the allure of the happy family. I dont think its possible for 2 people to have an equitable, harmonious relationship after one person has so thoroughly tried to just utterly destroy the other.

Good luck with whatever happens

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Travis343 posted:

I dont think youre pathetic. That was out of line, sorry, I had no right to imply your marriage wasn't happy and loving.

If she was behaving erratically I would say, maybe with therapy and help she could come around and be that loving wife you remember, but she's not actually behaving erratically, she's behaving very purposefully as someone who wants you the hell out of her life. For whatever reason, I don't know, but if at some point she comes around, I just hope you remember this time and this feeling and try not to get swept away by the allure of the happy family. I dont think its possible for 2 people to have an equitable, harmonious relationship after one person has so thoroughly tried to just utterly destroy the other.

Good luck with whatever happens

You are right. I don't know either but I want to try. I don't want it to damage the kids and I'd want to go slow. Right now I'm worrying about getting my kids with me more than 4 days a month.

After that I'll worry about trying to talk to her. Legaly.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Just had a phone call with my kids. It was nice. They are having lots of fun and looking forward to staying with me. So far I've used the excuse of work for their questions in why they just can't come over now. When my youngest son had then phone taken from him because he was told he was done talking it devastated me. He just threw a tantrum and cried and screamed and yelled because he wasn't done and he dosn't understand this at all and he is used to seeing me every day.

There isn't a point to this post im just posting to talk about the moment. It made me into a crying baby because he loves me and misses me so much. Even while posting about it in emotional.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Sorry dude, that sounds awful. Hang in there, stay strong and get through this.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Bill Pullman posted:

Sorry dude, that sounds awful. Hang in there, stay strong and get through this.

Thank you.

I have a really unhealthy addiction to talking to her, even now, when something cool happens or i read something funny i go to message her about it, i catch myself every time and stop.

I just want things the way they were.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

r00tn00b posted:

Thank you.

I have a really unhealthy addiction to talking to her, even now, when something cool happens or i read something funny i go to message her about it, i catch myself every time and stop.

I had the same thing happen. It's like a phantom limb. It fades, don't worry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

r00tn00b posted:

Thank you.

It's rough, but you've got to realize that the 'her' you're imaging doesn't match the person she's chosen to be anymore. That may be a permanent thing.

Find yourself someone to talk to, man, and let them take some of the load off your mind. It helps.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

r00tn00b posted:

Thank you.

Welcome to the five stages of loss!

So I imagine that the now very-public Facebook record of her being in another relationship literal days after this entire thing went down is only going to hurt her in court, right?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Fidelity isn't illegal. I would only think the judge's person opinion on that would matter

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

r00tn00b posted:

Fidelity isn't illegal. I would only think the judge's person opinion on that would matter

Dude it's a civil trial, not criminal. You're fighting for leverage over money and kids. Painting this as her fault is key so you can have the upper hand. There's poo poo at stake.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

It's rough, but you've got to realize that the 'her' you're imaging doesn't match the person she's chosen to be anymore. That may be a permanent thing.

Find yourself someone to talk to, man, and let them take some of the load off your mind. It helps.

I know she might never be the same again. She might never be the woman who I fell in love with. But I want to hold onto that hope for a while.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

r00tn00b posted:

I know she might never be the same again. She might never be the woman who I fell in love with. But I want to hold onto that hope for a while.

You'll forever be haunted by the ghost of Chad Thundercock.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

Like I said before, that's all well and good, but don't do it at the expense of what you need to do now. Bring this poo poo to your lawyer, let him work to your advantage.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Like I said before, that's all well and good, but don't do it at the expense of what you need to do now. Bring this poo poo to your lawyer, let him work to your advantage.

I am we have a meeting Thursday. I will do what I need to to get my kids. I'll fit to my death for them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was having a read here http://courts.oregon.gov/OJD/OSCA/cpsd/courtimprovement/familylaw/pages/fl_divorce.aspx to see if there was any reason why she might have lured you to Oregon before trying to break it off with you. You apparently have no-fault divorces there, although there seems to be a six months waiting period from when you move into the state to when they'll let you divorce. It doesn't look to me like there is any sneaky law there that can screw you over, it all looks pretty reasonable actually and is an interesting read in easy to understand language. It's been hard reading this thread, its really obvious how much this has hurt you and how much it's still hurting. People have been telling you to lawyer up, and you have which is great, but I'm worried what's going to happen to you if you're left alone to stew on this with no one to talk to or help you emotionally process whats happening. I hope you've got friends you can lean on or maybe see if you have access to a therapist through work to help you in the short term? I don't think you're wrong to remember the good times because it will be important when you're with your kids, they'll pick up on how you are and it will have a lasting effect on them. A therapist could probably help coach you on how to make this as easy on your kids as possible, too.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

I was having a read here http://courts.oregon.gov/OJD/OSCA/cpsd/courtimprovement/familylaw/pages/fl_divorce.aspx to see if there was any reason why she might have lured you to Oregon before trying to break it off with you. You apparently have no-fault divorces there, although there seems to be a six months waiting period from when you move into the state to when they'll let you divorce. It doesn't look to me like there is any sneaky law there that can screw you over, it all looks pretty reasonable actually and is an interesting read in easy to understand language. It's been hard reading this thread, its really obvious how much this has hurt you and how much it's still hurting. People have been telling you to lawyer up, and you have which is great, but I'm worried what's going to happen to you if you're left alone to stew on this with no one to talk to or help you emotionally process whats happening. I hope you've got friends you can lean on or maybe see if you have access to a therapist through work to help you in the short term? I don't think you're wrong to remember the good times because it will be important when you're with your kids, they'll pick up on how you are and it will have a lasting effect on them. A therapist could probably help coach you on how to make this as easy on your kids as possible, too.

I have reached out to a few places for assistance with therapy. I'm waiting to hear back.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Good deal. Make sure to follow up. This helped me a lot early on.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Bill Pullman posted:

Good deal. Make sure to follow up. This helped me a lot early on.

Therapy starts tomorrow. I look forward to this a lot.

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.
How long have you lived in Oregon? Unless you have lived there for 6+ months then the divorce can not go through, but you can get a legal separation and then go back for the divorce after 6 months.

quote:

What if I just moved to Oregon?
In almost all cases, either you or your spouse must have lived in Oregon for six months before filing for divorce. In addition, the divorce must be filed in a county in which one of you lives. It is possible for you to obtain a legal separation in Oregon prior to obtaining six months residency and then convert that to a divorce once you have lived in Oregon for at least six months.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

kicktd posted:

How long have you lived in Oregon? Unless you have lived there for 6+ months then the divorce can not go through, but you can get a legal separation and then go back for the divorce after 6 months.

A week. So we have some time before divorce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Might be more relevant how long she has been there.

Hate to suggest it, but that might be a chunk of why she was interested in living out there while you took care of things back home for a stretch. Build up evidence of a separation and establish residency.

• Locked thread