Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wizard of Smart posted:

The hardest thing to do is going to be accepting that this person who you thought was wonderful has been actively planning your downfall. It's highly likely she sabotaged you in every way she could, and will continue to do so.

My first piece of advice, and most likely to be ignored is DO NOT TEST THE NO CONTACT ORDER Oregon does not play with that, you will go to jail and you will lose your new job - which is all you have. Block her and her family on phones and social media. Remove Facebook from your phone for a while. Do what you need to do not to talk to them until you have been to court and have a copy of the order dismissing the order of protection.

Second, get to a lawyer. Today. In two hours when they start working. If you can prove she hasn't been hospitalized, great.

Third, get a place. Look into Vancouver or the other suburbs if your job isn't great enough to support living in portland proper. This is the next step after the lawyer. You should be looking for apartments/houses/places by 10:30.

Fourth, sell what you don't need from that moving truck to help with costs of getting set up in a new place. :siren:DO NOT SELL THINGS THAT ARE HERS:siren:

Fifth: hit the breakup thread and follow it's advice. You are not a special snowflake and your situation isn't unique. Do what you need to do for your life, not your current situation.

For real, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Volume posted:

get a lawyer and get your stuff in order then-

hahaha never mind, keep digging that well.

How many more pages til we get to the part where we pee in the well?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Volume posted:

No, you see, they're gonna work things out. Everything is going to be jusHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHA

Oh, looks like this is where the well-pissing starts.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fool and the World posted:

I love how shittily everyone is treating the op. Its p obvious where everyones allegiances lie

This guy gets it.

You've never seen a 'goon in a well' scenario, I take it?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

tsa posted:

On the other hand the OP is a huge moron and makes astonishingly bad choices.

It's pretty much just this.
Op is dumb
Goons gave good advice
Op is still dumb
Goons now make fun of Op.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
1. Lawyer up.
2. Lawyer the gently caress up.
3. After lawyering the gently caress up, get off the internet for awhile. Go to work, see some movies, walk around town a bit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

Omg guys. I spoke with a lawyer. With all the information in the protection order and the history of her leaving me with the kids and all that. There is no way for her to take my rights as a parent and 50% custody is the most likely outcome.

He also thinks we can get the order dissolved so she can't hold that over my head any more.

This lifts a great weight off my chest.

I still will hope for reconciliation. But at least now I know I will likely get my kids.

This is good, congrats.
Now keep listening to your lawyer and do what he says.

Be realistic, your honest best outcome is getting a divorce and still getting your kids.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I'm aware of that. I really and truly am. But that won't stop me from keeping just a little hope that I can get my family back.

That's fine. Dumb, but fine. So long as that hope doesn't prevent you from doing what needs to be done to protect yourself and your kids. Namely, do what your lawyer tells you to do.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I know she might never be the same again. She might never be the woman who I fell in love with. But I want to hold onto that hope for a while.

Like I said before, that's all well and good, but don't do it at the expense of what you need to do now. Bring this poo poo to your lawyer, let him work to your advantage.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I just dropped my kids off, the way they handle this situation infuriates me. We are not greeted my someone to take the kids, they are sent up to the door to be let in by someone who just slightly cracks the door and goes away. they let themselves in and then it is immediately bolted behind the kids. I am to leave their belongings on the walk and then to leave. The situation causes so much anxiety in my older son that as we got closer and close to the house he got more and more upset and actually got a headache from this. I expressed this concern to her step dad who brushed it off and said it was my fault. I am treated like a monster by these people and its demeaning to me and it is borderline child abuse to the kids to be treated this way. I wish i had the money to take this to court right now but I don't and I'm still a ways off. I am just sitting here shaking from how upset it makes me, stomach turning and an uneasy feeling.

tl;dr kid exchanges treated like hostage situation. Very upsetting to some involved.

Write these incidents down, with full time and date and as much detail as you can.

Keep these reports and give them to your lawyer.
That is an incredibly hosed up thing to do. And a hosed up thing for her dad to say.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I got my kids Friday and took them shopping. While we were shopping I found out that she has apparently pissed off the people she was staying with enough to have them kick her out. She hasn't spoken to anyone in her family since she was kicked out and the only thing she said when she left was that I can take care of the kids. She has abandoned the kids with me against her court order. She burned all her bridges here in Oregon so my only though is she went back to Ohio of will be heading to Texas.

I will be honest I am really surprised she didn't show up at my door.

Hey congrats dude. Just keep your head down and keep doing what you're doing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I have already started this process.

Her family is 100% on my side of this now, they spent 4 months with her and know what she is, they will go to court on my behalf.

This is the same family where the step dad is a lawyer, right?
cool

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

Correct. Lawyer dad, he has been super frustrated lately and now I know why. She was looking after their dogs for a week and now they have a $6000 vet bill from injuries my wife can't or wont explain.

Holy poo poo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

a creepy colon posted:

drat imagine if the OP had listened to any of the advice in this thread, he would be so much worse off.

Yeah he might have *gasp* talked to a lawyer.

Oh wait.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

I go to court tomorrow and hopefully get (at least temporarily) custody of the kids. I have never been so nervous before in my life. filling out documents and having to speak to a judge. The only saving grace is she isn't even in the state and has NO idea I go to court tomorrow. I will provide an update tomorrow in the afternoon when I have the court's ruling on the matter. Wish me luck goons, i loving need it.

Best of luck, keep calm, and make sure everything you say is the truth; if you don't know for drat sure, either say that or don't add the detail. You already have enough weird poo poo, corroborated by her family, that blunt loving honesty is all you need.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's probably a time limit to 'establish custody', right?

But in the meantime you have temporary, provisional custody.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

In the mean time I have nothing, the judge dismissed the the move for temporary custody.

Ok, drat, talk to your lawyer and/or ex step dad in law about an appeal or other options. My point though, over all, is keep doing what you're doing. It's slow but you're walking in the right direction.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Geoj posted:

Someone will probably call me a trilby-wearing neckbearded MRA for saying this, but this is the bias in favor of the mother inherent within the family court system rearing its ugly head.

Just because MRAs are disgusting broken clocks doesn't mean that this isn't actually a thing that happens.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

tsa posted:

I've never understood why the idea that women are more likely to get custody is some MRA thing; US society is still very sexist and of course the old white men which overwhelmingly make up the judges that decide these things are going to be thinking woman = child bearer in the back of their mind - it's just another way gender roles rears its ugly head.

Hopefully she doesn't challenge you on it if she really is unfit to be a parent, good luck.

Yep. Patriarchy hurts men as much as women.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ciprian Maricon posted:

OP at first I thought you were a tool for failing to respond to your crumbling marriage and putting your kids in a lovely spot but you really pulled it out and did the right stuff, responded well to the absolute worst case scenario and now I think you are cool and good.

I'm pretty much just emptyquoting this.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

r00tn00b posted:

thanks I think? Sorry I was such a mess, 8 years of my life had just kinda gone away. I'm better now, even moved on with my dating life.

Well, you were being a tool at first, but you were also under a lot of distress. The important part is you pulled together and handled poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Baronjutter posted:

I have a feeling she's going to use the visitation and 50% travel costs thing to just randomly hit you when her broken brain tells her to make trouble. It won't be for the kids, it will be in some weird attempt to bother you.

My mom pulled poo poo exactly like this.

If you can, try and put some cash into a savings account specifically for travel, it can help ease the pain if she pulls some poo poo like this.

• Locked thread